#1 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Eurogamer got the exclusive scoop on Evolve, the Hunters versus *Feral Zerg-like Alien* asymmetric online multiplayer game by Turtle Rock Studios, the devs who came up with Left 4 Dead.

It looks pretty exciting. The monster needs to feed on creeps whilst evading the hunters to grow stronger and evolve... and eventually turn into an almost Gozilla-like enormous monstrosity.

I've recently got Left 4 Dead 2 from Steam, which was gifted for free to everyone, and while it didn't catch-on with me, I definitely saw the appeal and potential of that core design. Taking the brainless zombies out of the equasion and replacing it with a more believable and intelligent ecosystem might just be what takes it to the next level for me.

Definitely on my radar now!

#2 Posted by Marcsman (3286 posts) -

Now this looks enticing.

#3 Edited by IIGrayFoxII (305 posts) -

An embargo broke today and everybody is reporting on it. The interesting thing I read (from Kotaku) is that every class needs to be represented in a match but there are different characters per class. Definitely has my attention.

#4 Posted by Deathstriker (335 posts) -

Their main CG trailer (or whatever that was) did nothing for me, but seeing Kotaku's full on gameplay match got me excited. Hopefully it's not always 4 vs. 1, 4 vs. 4 (with smaller monsters) would be good too.

#5 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

Their main CG trailer (or whatever that was) did nothing for me...

It grabbed me the second it said "From the makers of Left 4 Dead".

#6 Posted by Deathstriker (335 posts) -

@deathstriker said:

Their main CG trailer (or whatever that was) did nothing for me...

It grabbed me the second it said "From the makers of Left 4 Dead".

L4D felt like a simple and soulless Half-Life 2 mod to me, so I laughed when I read that lol.

#7 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

@deathstriker: To each their own. I played tons of it with three of my best buds so that game had more than enough soul based purely on the soul we injected into it :)

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (3670 posts) -

Wow, that looks incredible.

#9 Posted by JeremyKO (35 posts) -
#10 Edited by Deathstriker (335 posts) -
#11 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

Starting to finally see some new ideas in mainstream games, it's about fucking time.

#12 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3982 posts) -

I like that there are new ideas here... but frankly it doesn't look very interesting. Everything about the setting and look in particular is pretty generic.

Hopefully it's a lot of fun to play. Maybe if I played it I wouldn't care much.

#13 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

I wonder if it will have some story stuff similar to L4D. I still think that game married story telling with multiplayer gameplay really well. Possibly the best ever

#14 Edited by Bollard (5841 posts) -

Meh, doesn't look too hot. Outrise seems to be a much better implementation of this idea.

#15 Posted by wemibelec90 (1830 posts) -

Seems like an okay idea, but I've never been that much of a fan of the L4D style of gameplay. At the very least, it's a much more interesting idea than "generic military shooter #573" which is good.

And, not to be nitpicky, but Game Informer technically had the first information on this with their most recent issue.

#16 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

And, not to be nitpicky, but Game Informer technically had the first information on this with their most recent issue.

Yeah, Rev3 and a couple of other places also posted videos/articles about Evolve today. Not being nitpicky just pointing out theres other outlets reporting on the game if you want more information.

#17 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

A lot about this has me very interested.

Bots for offline play, whether you want to play as the monster or one of the humans

You aren't constantly fighting eachother every few seconds like its a deathmatch

The character designs

I haven't seen anything yet, but what happens when one of the hunters dies? Is there a respawn counter, do they get a 'survivor closet' type respawn where they need to wait for another player, do they not respawn until the game is over?

#18 Posted by caesius6 (200 posts) -

@somedelicook: There's a counter. I believe it said two minutes in the preview I read?

#19 Posted by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

Unless things go south from here on out, I'm on board.