Extra-Life 2015: The Giant Bomb Team & Quest to $250,000 - November 7th - #ForTheKids

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matt

No Caption Provided

Extra-Life

It’s that time of year again and that means Extra-Life is back! For those of you that may not know, Extra-Life is an annual gaming event where people play games for 24 hours to raise money for children’s hospitals. This year Extra-Life will be happening on November 7th.

Last year the Giant Bomb team did the unthinkable and raised $200,806 finishing 3rd of 6249 teams. Yo... that's a lot of money. This year I've set the goal at $250,000 and I know what you're thinking. Yo... that's A LOT of money! Every year we blow past our goal and set a new record so I'm keeping the faith and setting the team goal pretty high this year.

Getting Involved

Let’s face it, most of us are playing video games for an disgusting amount of time anyway. It may as well be for a good cause AND IT’S SO EASY TO JOIN! Go to www.extra-life.org, sign up and join the Giant Bomb team. You can join the team during the sign up process or by going to the team page and hitting join www.extra-life.org/team/giantbomb.

How do I get people to give me money for the kids?

This is the hardest part but also the most rewarding. Social media is your best friend. Tweet it, tumbl it and facebook share while you’re at it. Live streams are also a great way of getting donations. Give your stream some production value. Create banners with your donation link, try and raffle off any spare game codes you may of come across. Try creating a theme for your stream. Maybe you’re going to play all of the Halo games because you’re crazy. Or maybe you’re going to play 24 hours of Dota 2 because you like good video games.

I'm a busy person with a job, kids and a crippling drug addiction. I don't have time to play!

No worries friend you can still help. Check out the roster of team Giant Bomb and donate to someone you like the look of.

I’ve read your words, I’ve signed up and joined the Giant Bomb team. What now?

This most important part of Extra-Life is the build up to November 7th. Use all that time to spread the word and get as many donations as possible. Once you’ve signed up post the link to your donation page and any live streams you may be doing in this thread. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. This really is a community effort.

FAQ

Q: What if I can’t commit to that date or the entire time?

A: The idea and spirit of Extra Life is that everyone pulls together at the same time, but we know that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Don’t let a commitment on the 7th stop you from joining. Just do what you can and make up the game time later. What matters most is the time you put in BEFORE the event to raise money for these kids.

Q: What if I can’t finish the full 24 hours due to commitments or exhaustion?

A: If you won’t be able to finish the whole thing, you can make up the remaining hours later. It’s all on the honor system and what really matters is that we’re all raising money for a great cause. Your sponsors should know they are supporting the cause whether you crash on hour 18 or not.

Q: How is the money collected? Where does it go?

A: Credit card donations may be made on a participant's fundraising page. Cash and check donations will be collected by participants and submitted to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2 rmanthorp  Moderator

For the kids!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Really looking forward to this!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nightriff

I'm excited for the live streams. Hope Dan doesn't bail this year like last year. And maybe a Mario Party Party 24 hour stream...maybe?

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By trace

BLOG POST FOR TRACE'S TERROR STREAM 2:Right here!

DONATION LINK:http://extralife.teampseg.com

I'll be streaming a bunch of scary games again for my Extra-Life stream on October 23rd to 24th! That should be another 9 pm to 9 pm EDT stream, so we'll see how it goes. I've also put up an incentive to play/stream more straight hours of #DRIVECLUB should I meet my personal donation goal. Perhaps...worse this time, even. I have ideas in which I suffer further if goals are met:

Plus, for every $500 we raise, I'll devote five hours straight to #DRIVECLUB. I'll even commit to another five hours of that wretched game if we hit $200 before October. Trust me, it's amusing to watch me be all bitter about having to play #DRIVECLUB. I don't like it.

BONUS CHALLENGE: In honor of the Lamborghini Pizza Club, if I raise $1,000 before my initial 24-hour stream is completed, I will order and eat a whole pizza during my #DRIVECLUB punishment stream.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6 thatpinguino  Staff

I'll see whether my local card shop is running an Extra Life event again this year, but if they aren't I might lend my FF speed run skills to team GB. Maybe I can coerce @zombiepie to speed run an FF with me...

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im very tempted to try this. I need to get through the other MGS games other than 3. ...or other games

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324

@hassun said:

I just hope lessons were learned from last year (and stuff like Games Done Quick) so we can get more donations this time.

You make it sound like team Giant Bomb didn't do incredibly well last year. Matching that performance would be incredible.

Also, all of those links you posted seem to be broken.

spac3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spac3d

Dan plays solo Mario Party for 24 hours... for the kids!

Koholos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've wanted to participate for several years. I think I'll try this year. One question- that's also my monthly board game night, so I plan to do 6 hours of board games, and the rest with video games.

Would the drive time to and from game night count towards the 24 hours? Or would doing 25.5 hours to make up for the 90 minute drive be better? I know it's ultimately up to me, just seeing what others think is more fair.

Maybe I'll commit to watching 1 episode of Captain N for every $100 I raise.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By hassun

@chaser324: They still work but the team page has moved I think.

And of course they did well! But I think they can do far better with smart usage of donation incentives. (Talking about the main streams now, not the individual users.)

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

They still work but the team page has moved I think

Pointing to a 404 page still counts as not working in my opinion. Sometimes (but not always) the participant ID will persist from year to year, so some of them might start to work once the main GB user page is registered for this year.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#14 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Man, this always happens late in the semester when I'm swamped with projects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a pretty steady job this year so I will be sure to donate more than the $10 I did last year. But only after Brad suffers and Drew plays a lot of Halo.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: They all go to the same thing anyway, I mostly posted them for the good memories of last year with the great custom link names.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#17 riostarwind  Moderator

I wasn't expecting to see this already when I signed into GB today. But I shall lend my support again this year for the kids! Now to figure out which games I want to play this year.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By zandravandra

Alright, well... I'm doing this too. Time to get a webcam and some other stuff! I'm not sure what else I'll play, but I can confirm I'll be S-ranking Chariot. I made that nightmarish hidden level, so it's only fair that I have to beat it, along with unlocking every single achievement I designed!

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll go ahead and guarantee a $100 pledge if @vinny participates in full this year.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A friend and I are going to do a stream... FROM KOREA!!!

First timers, don't know how well we'll do for views, but it should be fun anyway.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Extra-Life team, but it says i cannot join as i am a team lead on our extra life page (let me know if this does not make sense). Does anybody know how to join if you already have signed up for Extra Life?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cornbredx
Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First year I actually have a means to stream so I'm onboard.

SamSchwartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SamSchwartz

Hello,

Great thought "Extra-Life" games event. Last year you did an excellent performance, best of luck this time. This is really a good job to raise money for children’s hospitals, this will bring a great change in society and will help many kids.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@chaser324: They still work but the team page has moved I think.

And of course they did well! But I think they can do far better with smart usage of donation incentives. (Talking about the main streams now, not the individual users.)

It will be interesting if GB ever does donation incentives. I kinda doubt they will. It's a great way to bring in more money though, I agree with you there.

Reach $250k and they'll do a P5 Endurance Run when that game comes out!!! ;)

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only I could stream my Vita in good quality I would do a few hours of Miku Project Diva f's / P4 Dancing T.R.L. (Total Request Live, for those too young to remember). I know I could do the ps3 versions but, I already have everything unlocked and platinumed on the Vita.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hassun

@amyggen: They kind of did last time (and I pushed for it quite a hard). Just like I offered to donate if @patrickklepek would record waking up a sleeping Dave Lang and put it on the internet. That's the kind of stuff that gets people to donate if you ask me.

Some of the GB goals from last time:

• 83K staff goal: Nose Tork
  • 162K for Drew's Bandanna picture
  • 165K for Alexis to get double slapped
  • 170K for The video of Alexis getting slapped
  • 175K for Drew shooting an M60

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 million for me to say 'Byker Grove' on steam.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CByrne

We all need to Rally to make the often harsh and iron fist wielding moderator @Trace suffer by playing games he HATES! We can secure 5 extra hours of misery and torture if we raise $200 before October. Dig deep down and bring that boiling, gurgling hate from when he closed your thread about why Lifeguard should of been GOTY 2014 thread and turn it into a loving caring donation for the kids! It'll just have the added bonus of making him suffer!

Extra life page can be found here! Please help me in my effort to torture the person responsible for years of Forza Race Night.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need another Alexis/Drew stream. Just plug it into my veins.

Edit: Screw it. Just get Alexis in some stream.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if Brad doesn't make progress by then i'm expecting an all Witcher 3 stream.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Hopefully I will stream again this year! This time I will make a schedule and not be somewhat bored to death. I got into a TCG called Weiss Schwarz so I will probably stream some card games and board games too!

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go ahead and guarantee a $100 pledge if @vinny participates in full this year.

The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I could be baited into more. But @vinny, you sir, are needed for real. Seriously. I don't even care what you play. Just give me 24 hours.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've got the staff to do a stream this time around. I'm already streaming in an attempt to actually get an audience together. Also, I don't know which hospital to plug. Anybody got a favourite?

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need Ian on the main GB stream and have him read/sing/interpretativedancemaybe? the donations.

I assume Lisa and Jason won't be present this year because of baby, will someone else substitute them?

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#36  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

As a lead up to my Extra Life stream on November 7 I'll be live streaming every Saturday around 7PM EST. Check out www.twitch.tv/riostarwind if you are interested in seeing me play through Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Riostarwind's Extra Life Page go here and donate if you are willing to support my efforts in a good way or a evil way if you feel like making me play a horrible game.

Anyone who donates a 1$ might win a 20$ gift card of their choosing. Although you can also make me play bad games if your willing to donate 5$ and pick a game off the BONUS list at my twitch page. Ether way I expect us to keep breaking that donation record. All aboard the extra life train duders.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shindig

@cagliostro88 said:

I need Ian on the main GB stream and have him read/sing/interpretativedancemaybe? the donations.

I assume Lisa and Jason won't be present this year because of baby, will someone else substitute them?

I'll donate for a live birth. Ian playing midwife. Wait. Twitch plays midwife.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By brent

This is my first year doing Extra Life, I hope it will be a huge success!

Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Camurai

Did extra life a few times in the past as an individual, looking forward to repping GB this year

hsghsghsg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited for whatever Giant Bomb ends up doing this year. The streams over the past few years have been super entertaining and the community raising over $200,000 last year for such a good cause was awesome.

Vixzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping to raise some money in the UK this year! Unfortunately cannot commit to doing the full 24hr sitting in one go and also can't do November 7th, so I'm going to make up my 24hrs prior to the event and hope to raise as much as I can!

http://www.extra-life.org/participant/vixzen

Thanks for all of your hard work!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, I'm registered.

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=166259

www.twitch.tv/shindigpsc

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone doing anything around the merseyside area (UK)?

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did this in 2012, raised $675 and finished fifth on the Giant Bomb team. Having a kid definitely put a cramp on my 24 hour gaming opportunities, but my wife is taking our daughter to my in-law's house the Extra Life weekend, so I'm back in.

Extra Life Page

I'm going to be streaming at Twitch probably a lot of Forza 6, perhaps some Witcher 3, or something else.

juster25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By juster25
ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm thinking of participating this year but I don't have the ability to stream. How easy is it to stream from an Xbox One if I want to be able to talk while playing?

juster25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is easy as launching/snapping the twitch app. You'll just need to create a twitch account if you haven't done so already.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KirillOrlov

I think I convinced my wife to do a stream! We'll see if we do 2 twelve hour streams or a solid 24 hours but I'm excited.

I've been a surporter of GB/GB community for years and have always wanted to do this! We'll see we might do Simpsons themed video games for a few hours. We also have physical copies of our used games around so we'll give those away and maybe we'll give out some codes too! ...Maybe even a fog machine will be turned on at some point. Go team Giant Bomb!

Will post a link as soon as I set everything up.