Extra-Life 2015: The Giant Bomb Team & Quest to $250,000 - November 7th - #ForTheKids

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

@juster25: I actually have 2 Twitch accounts so I may test it out in the next few days just to see if I can figure out any problems that might come up.

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do we know when we'll find out what the GB staff are doing for Extra Life? I'm curious if they're going for multiple days again or just one day. Gotta ask off work. This shit is important.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#54 riostarwind  Moderator

@freddiefiasco: Going by last year they finalized their plans for Extra Life the week it was going to happen. So don't expect them to talk about it till at least a week before the appointed date.

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riostarwind: Damn. Thought it was at ltitle earlier than that. Guess I'll just go ahead and ask off the day before, the day of, and the day after. Thanks!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By cornbredx

So, I'm setting up my extra life account. I want to donate obviously, but I can't until next month. During the setup it asks if you want to donate. I do, but I can't right now. So I was wondering, and this is probably a dumb question, but am I able to donate after I finish setting this up? I can right? I can just hold off right now on that and it won't be a problem, right? I only ask because I don't want to finish setting this up and be like "Oh well now it wont let me donate later, bleh"

juster25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@cornbredx: you can absolutely donate after you set it up. I did the same thing when I set up my account. Good luck :)

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By UpperDecker
No Caption Provided

HERE WE GO!

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#60  Edited By Danteveli

I'm down for doing it for the children. Traditionally doing it on team GB

http://www.twitch.tv/danteveli24/profile

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=142276

salisbeary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already took time off to watch the streams. I will be in chat in full support of the duders and hope to see some community streams as well.

Avatar image for definitelysacha
definitelysacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, would you guys consider letting a total lurker like me join the Giant Bomb Extra Life team? I've wanted to do an extra life stream since I found out about them (through a site I know about, you may have heard of it, giantbomb.com.) I've been doing let's plays all year as practice! =D

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By UpperDecker
Loading Video...

We keep ramping this up! The Running Man Competition is coming and if you survive? You are responsible for more money going to charity!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@upperdecker: Good luck, man. To the rest of you, UpperDecker's GTA stuff, especially his Booze Train shindigs, is really fun.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#65 sweep  Moderator

tumbl it

GET OUTTA HERE, MATT

capnhaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66  Edited By capnhaggis

My friends and I have been making videos on the internet for about a year now, and just recently got into streaming. I think this year we're going to get involved and attempt the 24 hour stream and I am super excited for it!

One thing that would be really helpful is if we got some feedback about things we could be doing to improve before the Nov. 7th date rolls around. If any of you guys want to take a look at what we've done so far, we have some archives of our last couple streams here: Twitch channel and here: YouTube channel

I'm really excited to get everything set up, so any tips or feedback (constructive or destructive...sometimes we need to be put in our place) would be amazing! Thanks!

deliciousbees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sarge Club is returning for 2015. The theme for us this year is "The Worst of the Best" - 48 of the absolute worst games from some of the most loved franchises. I didn't think we could find worse games than last year, but oh boy did we find worse games.

Look at the rad page here - schedule of games should be going up in a week or two. Also, I'll be dumping out some Roundabout keys* for Team Giant Bomb pals if you need donation incentives - shoot me a message and I'll send through stuff closer to the date.

(*if there's a ton of responses it may be a random selection of people, conditions apply, etc etc)

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doing some test streaming at twitch.tv/swansons feel free to swing by and give me advice of what needs to be adjusted.

Going to be playing NBA Jam for the 360 for a bit. Feel free to donate and such.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I have my Extra Life account setup now.

My plan for my 24 hours is to play games (mostly) people probably haven't seen on any live streams before- or at least I haven't. Mostly old games from the late 90s and early 2000s, but I do have a few newer games that I want to play on there as well that aren't unheard of. So a little mix of older stuff and newer stuff. I have nothing more specific than that, though, in mind.

I'll test my stream setup in the next couple weeks. I don't expect many people would watch me, and anyway I mostly have it figured out on my end anyway. I mainly just need to know what it looks like from the other side and that can wait for right now.

My donation page will be here.

Exciting!

lemonadepack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last year was my first year participating and honestly had fairly low expectations. I had no idea what i was doing, a lot of stuff was planned last minute and there were countless hardware issues the day prior and throughout the stream (I think my PC went down 5 or 6 times over the 27 hours of streaming). Even with all that I still managed to to raise $285 of my $250 goal and had a blast doing it.

For this year I've already been planning for weeks. I've convinced two of my friends to join me for the entire stream, have an upgraded gaming rig built to withstand this event, and we feel confident that we can easily blow past our new goal of $500. I still have some steam codes to give away as well as new copies of some board games courtesy of my local gaming store. I'm excited to try doing a couple board games on the stream and have tried to pick ones that would work well for those spectating. At least one or two of the following: Letters From Whitechapel, Pandemic, Zombie Island, X-Com: The Board Game.

I've been hospitalized for the past couple weeks so I haven't had time to set up my page but as soon as I do I will post a link.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pushing my stream to the following weekend for scheduling reasons, but my friends and I are still going to do the full pull and hope to beat our total last year of $3386 raised. We are holding a raffle this year so if anyone ins interested they can come check out my page for details.

extra-life.org/participant/teambosman

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super excited! I've got my run of show and everything

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

awalkawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By awalkawesome
UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb's Community Run "Running Man" Challenge

ANY people wondering what to stream are more than welcome to jump onboard with us for this. We will be playing Grand Theft Auto 5 on PC and we will be doing something we do on the community hub called the "Running Man."

Anybody familiar with GTA5, you as a runner, will start in the upper left hand corner on the beach. On the peninsula. You will notify the 8 hunters when you want to start and then you RUN. It's up to you how you want to do this. Either get to a car, run on foot, steal a four wheeler, etc. You have to get to the Los Santos Airport down in the lower left hand corner without dying. All you have to do is get into a hanger and you win! If you win, my channel will be donating 50 dollars to the charity.

Now there are rules and I feel this is the best time to explain them. Here are the rules for the runner:

1. You cannot use mods.
2. You cannot use custom vehicles.
3. You cannot use boats or airplanes, you must run on foot or rubber.
4. You cannot use explosives rounds.
5. (other rules may apply)

There are harder rules for the hunters.

1. They must start at the airport.
2. They are limited to one pistol (non automatic, non explosive), and one assault rifle (non explosive). NO OTHER GUNS.
3. No customer vehicles.
4. NO modding.
5. you may not call Lester, Merryweather, or any other supports. If you get chased by the cops, you must deal with it (unless fresh start with runner resetting).
6. No boats, airplanes, rare vehicles, etc.
7. (other rules may apply)

So here's an explanation of what happens. We have contracted one of GTA's best helicopter pilots to chase you as a runner. I will be on the helicopter, with my Youtube/Twitch team commenting on how you run. The Hunters will be in a different channel and are forbidden to listen to our chat. They have to hunt you as a team on their own. We will follow you much like a Los Angeles helicopter team chases a highway chase! Nobody will know your secrets or ideals, unless you want to be part of the media team and share where you are going!

We will be playing this up. If you want, every runner will have a BS backstory (like the original Running Man), and we will trash talk you if you want, like Richard Dawson did in the Running Man. This event will be fun, and hopefully will bring some community energy, and we have a surprise!

We will be allowing the first 20 "runners" to run under MY dime. I will donate the amount to allow 20 people to run against my team of hunters. If you come after the first 20, you will need to donate 2 dollars to the charity, and we will be looking at other donations to knock some hunters out, etc.

If you want to do something for this charity stream, and have no idea what to do? Why not stream your RUN against the Booze Train(Name of my mercenary group on GTA). If you beat the Booze Train, your channel will be the first to brag you made it!

In the end, we want to raise a ton of money for charity. Our idea for charity involves everyone. So if you all want to be part of the Running Man, and challenge the Booze Train Mercenary Team, then let's do this! Also if anybody needs help with their stream on multiplayer, please reach out to us!

UpperDecker

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By zolloz89

I'm in. Excited for my 4th year. No plans yet (though I just want to do witcher 3 the entire run). I'm listed on explosive runs.

EL link: bit.ly/jasonel or http://www.extra-life.org/participant/zolloz89

EDIT: Is anyone here going to Extra Life United this year? I couldn't last year, but I just registered this time.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I signed up yesterday! Now I just need to set up incentives.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Kazona

If all goes well I will be setting up my stream this weekend. Would anyone be willing to help me test the quality of the stream? I don't have a particularly powerful and while it seemed generally ok last year I kind of set it all up in a hurry so I wasn't entirely sure if everything was going well. Not that many people were watching but hopefully that will be different this year.

Speaking of, I just talked to my boss about this (he hates being called that btw lol) and asked if he wanted provide something as an incentive. Well, he sure did! He offered to provide a Samsung 24" LED monitor! Either that or some SSDs, but I think I'll be going with the monitor and some smaller things like Steam wallet codes or xbox live codes.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#79 riostarwind  Moderator

@kazona: Sure, I should be around to check out your stream for most of the weekend.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone interested in chaining Destiny raids during the extra life stream day?

Avatar image for ramblesnonsense
ramblesnonsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ramblesnonsense

I'm so in this year! Watching last year's even is what got me streaming myself. Mine will be on Sunday November 1st, noon - 8:00pm Eastern on youtube gaming LINK!

extra-life.org/participant/wedge

just set up my display(will make a few adjustments), here's a quick test:

Loading Video...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: if I raffle off a monitor, how many of you would be willing to pay for shipping yourself (around 70 dollars)? I didn't really take that into consideration when I came up with the idea lol.

Another option would be to raffle off a couple of ssd hard drives.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woo, it's on my birthday, what better way to celebrate than to help a good cause

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished setting up my page!

Unfortunately I didn't really have time to test my stream. Sorry @riostarwind Thanks for the offer, though! Hopefully I can get to testing tomorrow.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JackBurt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks like I'm gonna do this as well! Woo! Got the greenlight from the wife!

Here's my donation page. And here's the link to my Twitch channel, where I'll be streaming on the 7th!

Let's go Team Giant Bomb! Let's help out some kids!

Now all I have to do is figure out what I'm playing...

robotmayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is sweet. I plan to do a game a day thing for two weeks then 24 hours, 24 games on the 7th. Im glad I have time and money to participate this year.

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Welp I signed up to do this! Not sure what ill do but we will figure it out! Link to my donation page and my Twitch Stream. So far I have some small ideas such as Mass Effect 1-3 ( I havent played any of them) bring a friend over for some battle tetris. Maybe some Windjammers? Who knows!

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolloz89: how do get on Explosive Runs?

I have most of my set up done with the exception of a good mic, ordered a Snowball. You can check out the test streams on my twitch. Links are in above comments.

capnhaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Alright! Finally got everything (mostly) set up for the charity stream!

Donation page is here: tinyurl.com/charity4kids

And we'll be streaming from here: twitch.tv/capnhaggis

We'll be doing the 24 hours from 8am on November 7th until 8am November 8th like most!

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious question. When does it stop taking donations? Is it the end of the year (Dec 31 2015)?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

For children and possibly their mothers.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By mrcraggle

Still thinking up what I'll be playing this year. In the mean time you can find my donation page here: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/craigosborne.

And I'll be streaming from here: https://gaming.youtube.com/mrcraggle

I also set up a Fundly page here https://fundly.com/extra-life-2015 so people will see the link directly on my stream. I would've liked to have done this straight to extra-life but Youtube doesn't allow it right now.

BTW, how much did the Giant Bomb team raise? I want to add that to my donation page.

KingRingtail85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Third year running for me, and I'm starting to get really excited.

Donation page - http://www.teeknuts.org (I bought that domain in a drunken haze in February so it's nice to get some use out of it)

Streaming - http://www.twitch.tv/teeknuts

I'm going to try to stream the whole thing this year. It's going to be something.

option

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Gonna miss Jason and Lisa this year. I can't imagine they'll be able to participate with the new kid just coming. The stream they did last year was the best. :)

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really love Extra life. They are always a lot of fun, and they help raise money for those in need. I salute all the streamers (and those involved) for donating their time for such a good cause. For the kids!

JCofDI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey all!

I rarely post in the message boards but am an avid GB guy, so with taking up an Extra Life stream this year I hopped into the team.

Extra Life link: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/JCofDI

The Community Update reminded me about it in the first place so plans are still extremely barebone at this point, but I hope to grab a bunch of friends from around town and have them come around and play some local multiplayer and board games and such. Already a few commitments from folks to come do something, so I'm stoked on that front. I'll be running some test streams at http://twitch.tv/jcofdi over the next few days I have off and when it's all set up, add the link to the Extra Life page.

Any big tips, or pitfalls I should watch out for?

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers