Extremely disappointed in the GB team right now

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NathanStack

Eliminating Bayonetta last year specifically because of its PS3 issues, while giving Skyrim GotY this year and ignoring the fact that it's COMPLETELY FUCKING BROKEN ON THE SAME PLATFORM is fucking horseshit.

I don't care how great the game is on the PC or the 360 or how expansive the content is. Skyrim is broken on the PS3 and does not even deserve to be in the Top 10.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

I'm just surprised they picked it over Saints Row.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FreakAche

Eliminating Bayonetta based on that criteria was kind of dumb in the first place.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I don't completely disagree. It definitely shouldn't have gotten the top spot, especially since for one platform it is actually unplayable beyond a certain time/size limit. I think the difference is that Bayonetta's issue, while minor, was seen by the Giant Bomb guys, and the Skyrim issues didn't hit them directly. If any of them had been playing on the PS3, perhaps we'd have seen a different response entirely, but it seems like for the foreseeable future Bethesda will continue to get a pass on releasing broken games.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Sambambo

I guess PS3 users can play it on the PC so they don't fully miss out, and when Skyrim gets it right it is a whole lot better than Bayonetta.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

Eliminating Bayonetta on that basis was wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right. It wouldn't have been right for them to take Skyrim out of the running due to the PS3 issue.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NathanStack

@FreakAche:

Except it's not dumb at all. If you release a game across multiple platforms, you had better be sure that it works equally well on all of them. Had Skyrim come out only the PC or 360 in its current state, I would be totally fine with it as GOYT. But the fact is that Bethesda put out a game for the PS3 that flat-out doesn't work. It's almost 2012. That's not acceptable.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Zzzzzzzzzzz

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Stop being a baby.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By RichieJohn

@TruthTellah said:

Eliminating Bayonetta on that basis was wrong, but two wrongs don't make a right. It wouldn't have been right for them to take Skyrim out of the running due to the PS3 issue.

Agreed. You can't hold them to what they've done in previous years. Extreme disappointment seems pretty strong.

Didn't one of the personal lists straight up say that the PC and 360 version's were the ones on their list specifically not the PS3 version?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By laserbolts
@PeasantAbuse

Stop being a baby.

This. Jesus Christ I can't wait for the GOTY stuff to end.
NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NathanStack

@PeasantAbuse:

Yup, expecting consistent standards sure is being a baby.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Enigma777 said:

I'm just surprised they picked it over Saints Row.

I'm not. Again: GOTYs are predictable as shit.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By DriveupLife
No Caption Provided

@familyphotoshoot:

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By MistaSparkle

My friend has Skyrim for PS3 and he's played over 200 hours with no problems at all, so he probably wouldn't be opposed to it winning GOTY. But also it's their games of the year. You can make your own video if you're so upset.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Toxeia

They've said specifically during the recap that it was a nomination for the PC and Xbox versions. A poor showing on the PS3 is to be expected at this point though, isn't it?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TruthTellah

It should also be noted that GiantBomb did award Bayonetta:

- Winner of Best Debut

- Runner Up for Best New Character

- Runner Up for Best Ending

And it placed 11th in the Reader's Choice category.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Shady

@SuperSambo said:

I guess PS3 users can play it on the PC so they don't fully miss out, and when Skyrim gets it right it is a whole lot better than Bayonetta.

Maybe to you.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ssj4raditz

Oh well.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By C0V3RT

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Game of the Year means nothing. Literally, nothing. Maybe next year when Bethesda makes a GOTY edition they can put the list of sites that gave them the award on the box, but that's it.

It's not a competition. It's a feature that generates a TON of hits on a yearly basis that's a nice way of reflecting on the year in games and saying, "this is what we liked best."

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Catarrhal

Those of you who feel that Bayonetta had zero chance at winning its respective categories (i.e. Best Multi-Platform Game) can go ahead and "flock off." This is a matter of principle. And it hardly make senses for Ryan to make up rules about how "we don't have to talk about Bayonetta, because the PS3 version's garbage," only to ignore that same principle in light of Bethesda's established reputation.

Sure, there are worse tragedies, but someone should apologize to Kamiya-san.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SerHulse

I place Skyrim at the top of my list, I also played it on the 360, should I strike it off because some other people are having problems with the game that I'm not?

I had a ton of problems with Saint's Row The Third, achievements not popping, terrible pop-in and framerate issues, clipping and texture problems and numerous other bugs, suffice to say it does not appear on my Top 10, but should that affect other peoples opinion of the game? No.

People need to remember that GOTY (as well as reviews) are subjective opinions, mine are different to yours, yours to Giant Bombs, Giant Bombs to mine.

Yes, Skyrim has significant problems on the PS3, and a significant proportion of the player base suffer from them, but, their experiences are going to shape their opinions, and don't, nor should they, shape somebody else's opinion. The GB squad directly experienced (AFAIK) the problems with Bayonetta, so it shaped their opinion and they acted accordingly, none of them have suffered with the PS3 Skyrim, so it didn't influence them.

This is the beauty of an open forum though, you clearly are going to have a different list to GB, so write it out, give your reasoning, it will help you make the point you are trying to make here.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sambambo

@Shady said:

@SuperSambo said:

Maybe to you.

And the GB staff.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FengShuiGod

Expecting intelligence and consistency from game journalists, lol.

hardindr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hardindr

I can remember Jeff stating in his Top 10 that he wasn't putting the PS3 version of the game on his list, only the XBOX 360 and PC version, due to the technical issues, if that makes any difference.

I've bought the PS3 version of the game, since I only have a PS3. I'm waiting for the larger patch to come out in Jan 2012 to see if that fixes the worst issues with the game. I can see why people would be upset, but that game was strong enough that it is an arguable #1, though I think Top 10 lists are dumb.

Bethesda really dropped the ball with the PS3 version. They should have released it later, after it had gone through more rounds of QA, but they probably ran the numbers and weren't willing to take the financial hit.

A better Bethesda? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaahjLSMrQ

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By leebmx

Portal 2 should have won anyway so this thread is pointless......

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Catarrhal

@C0V3RT said:

At the end of the day, does it really matter?

Is there a thread in this entire goddamn forum that "matters"? Hit me up with the link, bro.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shady

@SuperSambo said:

@Shady said:

@SuperSambo said:

Maybe to you.

And the GB staff.

I don't give a shit what they think. The point is that that isn't a matter of fact.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seedofpower

Fuck who cares.

Arbitrary lists are arbitrary.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By vaiz

@Catarrhal said:

Those of you who feel that Bayonetta had zero chance at winning its respective categories (i.e. Best Multi-Platform Game) can go ahead and "flock off." This is a matter of principle. And it hardly make senses for Ryan to make up rules about how "we don't have to talk about Bayonetta, because the PS3 version's garbage," only to ignore that same principle in light of Bethesda's established reputation.

Sure, there are worse tragedies, but someone should apologize to Kamiya-san.

For some reason, the fact that you used the term flock off and addressed Kamiya with Japanese honorifics makes me not take you seriously at all. You are clearly a huge fan of the man, so of course you would think this is an injustice. However, I, being a huge Bethesda/Skyrim fan, think it would be an injustice if Skyrim was disregarded when two out of three platforms perform just fine and it's an excellent game.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NMC2008

I feel more weird about Bastion than anything.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Addfwyn

I sorta agree. I mean, I played Skyrim on multiple platforms, so I understand why people like it. On the same token, a developer pushing a product that they KNOW doesn't work on a specific console and hoping nobody notices is really shady. It's basically selling a defective product and getting rewarded for it. I suppose you could argue that they didn't know about the issue, but that kinda implies that they had absolutely nobody on PS3 QA.

In the end, it's the staff's personal opinion, and to them the pros outweigh the cons. For me, I wanted to give the game recognition (so I put it on my list) but I couldn't justify giving it any higher than 10, for releasing a broken product that may never be fixed.

Avatar image for angryredplumber
AngryRedPlumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By AngryRedPlumber

I am aware that that PS3 version is widely considered to be broken, but I have had zero issues.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shady

I guess by that token Dead Island is a piece of shit game since I played the Xbox version.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AuthenticM

@TruthTellah said:

What this guy said.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#38  Edited By tearhead

It's Videogame Awards for God's sake, chill the fuck out. What Giant Bomb, or any other publication deems to be the game of the year only means as much as you make it out to be.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shady

I just find it funny how some can let a double standard slide. I honestly don't care since it's just their take on games. They've had more asinine reasons to not like games.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By canucks23

I guess they could've qualified that it's the pc/360 versions, but who gives a shit. The PC version is one of the best games to come out this year regardless of how broken other versions may or may not be.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By beforet

Video games!

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sambambo

@Shady said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Shady said:

@SuperSambo said:

Maybe to you.

And the GB staff.

I don't give a shit what they think. The point is that that isn't a matter of fact.

Well when I am talking about something like gaming, I would assume that it is obvious that it is opinion rather than fact.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

Haha, PS3.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By devilzrule27

@familyphotoshoot said:

Eliminating Bayonetta last year specifically because of its PS3 issues, while giving Skyrim GotY this year and ignoring the fact that it's COMPLETELY FUCKING BROKEN ON THE SAME PLATFORM is fucking horseshit.

I don't care how great the game is on the PC or the 360 or how expansive the content is. Skyrim is broken on the PS3 and does not even deserve to be in the Top 10.

Bayonetta was a broken game on the PS3. Skyrim is broken for some on the PS3. I've been playing skyrim since release on the PS3 version and it's been perfectly fine. No slowdown, nothing.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cheesebob

I was more suprised that Mortal Kombat wasn't in the top 10.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fjordson

Eliminating Bayonetta for that was dumb, would have been bad to do it to Skyrim as well.

I'm also guessing it's because Skyrim had a legit shot at THE number one spot. At no point was Bayonetta right there up at the top.

It is a little inconsistent, but what are ya gonna do? Skyrim is the best game to come out this year and at the end of the day, these awards really aren't that big of a deal. It's not some great moral statement, it's just some games that a couple of dudes enjoyed.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BrockNRolla

Le sigh. Bayonetta, regardless of its disqualification, did not deserve to be a goty contender anyway. You have to ask yourself a simple question. Is Goty about picking your favorite game of the year, or is it about sending a message to the gaming industry? They don't have to be mutually exclusive, but disqualifying Skyrim would have been a purely political move that had nothing to do with the quality of the actual game. PS3 users got shafted. Doesn't mean Skyrim isn't an incredible game.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By saethir

Personally, I'm more surprised that Alice: Madness Returns was not mentioned once during the whole thing. It is a great game that was at least worth a nomination in best art as well as overall game of the year. (I understand that it wasn't in any of their top tens, but still.) Its a great looking Platformer / Action game whose combat was smooth and satisfying. I loved the hell out of it. This however, could be my irrational love of 3d platformers, Alice in Wonderland, and creepy things.

Also, Bastion is a great game but not better than Portal 2 by any stretch of the imagination.

But again, my opinions are worth nothing when they are talking about how they feel about certain games, so I am cool with it.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TentPole

@SuperSambo said:

Bullshit.

orusaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By orusaka

I don't think anyone could argue realistically that Saints Row: The Third got robbed or anything, but I did the math.

I collated the 7 lists, added numerical values to the positions of the list, and added the scores.

Scores are in parenthesis. I know it probably seems like Saints Row was a lock for GOTY, but when you do the math from the lists, you see that it's actually close enough to be a complete toss-up between the top 4 games, really.

1 - Saints Row: The Third (46)

2 - Portal 2 (45)

3 - Skyrim (44)

4 - Batman: Arkham City (42)

5 - Bastion (41)

6 - L.A. Noire (36)

7 - Gears of War 3 (16)

8 - Rayman Origins (15)

9 - Uncharted 3 (14)

10 - Mortal Kombat (13)