Fable II or Oblivion?

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Sick_J0ke

After seeing the review for fable II it looks alot like Oblivion. Are they really as similar as they look? If you had to choose between the two, which would you pick? 

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Riddler
Combat = Fable
Story = Fable
Voice acting = Fable
Art stlye = Fable
Online Functions = Fable
Length / Number of hours you can spend = Oblivion

Fable's fun, oblivion's not. thats the difference for me.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

They are similar in genre and general fantasy setting only.

Protonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Protonguy

They're both amazing games with great stories. Oblivions character customisation is far superior. Fable 2 has in my opinion much better FUN gameplay. Both worlds are incredible but fables is less repetitive and more... 'full'. You'll get more hours out of oblivion but Fables shorter amount of time is probably more satisfying.
What does this all mean? Get both. If you can only get one and you're more into hardcore rpg then go oblivion (you can modify more stats etc and have more dialogue options, create brand new spells and potions etc). Otherwise go fable.... even while writing this in my head i've gone back one way and then the other several times, they're both that great :).

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

You have to dedicate more hours into oblivion, which kinda handicaps the game experience. I would say Fable II for it's realism and overall better gameplay.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Clean

I'd take Oblivion. It's got a way bigger world, more place, quests, better story, long actually.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Marnox

They are two different games that can't be compared!  I love both of them, but Oblivion is superior. Fable 2 tells a good fantasy story in a good fantasy setting. Oblivion tells many stories set in an amazing world. Play both. Enjoy both. To be cruel I will say that Fable 2 is fast food and Oblivion is a good sunday dinner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler said:
"
Combat = Fable
Story = Fable
Voice acting = Fable
Art stlye = Fable
Online Functions = Fable
Length / Number of hours you can spend = Oblivion

Fable's fun, oblivion's not. thats the difference for me.
"
Pretty much, Oblivion's combat and story are terrible.
Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Marnox

How can you say that the Stories in Oblivion are terrible? It's not as good and dark like Morrwind, but still. Oblivion tells some great stories about families, culture and exploration of a fantasy world. Did you actually play it, I mean roleplayed it. Thats the point of Oblivion. It's a roleplaying game. Fable 2 is not. Don't for a second think that Fable 2 is a roleplaying game. That's why it's silly to choose between Fable 2 and Oblivion. Oblivion is more serious and takes time to understand. Fable 2 is a good and enjoyable fantasy story. But you are no way shape or form in control of what happens in Fable 2. You have the good vs evil and such. But its all controlled by the game. In Oblivion you have more control. I wish I could say that in Oblivion you are in full control of the world. But that game is called Morrwind. Anyway. If you want a good short fantasy game, play Fable 2. If you want more serious and deeper stories, play Oblivion.

Loki557

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Loki557

Fable II is probably the better game overall but something about Oblivion just sucked me in and kept me playing for 150+ hours.

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Riddler
Levio91 said:
"oblivion is better and you can get it used cheap at gamestop.

"
DILDO!!
Too bad Elton John out sang her in her own song
Teatime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teatime

What what?  Sorry just watching that Dido tune.

As far as the conversation goes.  Play both.  Fable 2 and oblivion are brilliant.

Fable 2 is a true role playing game in that you play a person in a role.   Oblivion is brilliant in that you get to do allot of great quests (So long as you don’t follow the main one).

Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I think its really personal preference.  Personally, I prefer Oblivion....but I'm sure there are plenty of people who would disagree.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Morrowind.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By keyhunter

Fable, to me, was actually really dissapointing. By the end of the game I didn't feel like I had done very much. Fable 1 even made me feel like I had done more in the short 9 hours of gameplay. The combat in Fable 2 is very dumbed down. There is no challenge to be found at all in Fable 2. You will probably beat the game without a single death. Other than the rediculously short main quest, there are only a few others, the world isn't that big, and there really isn't much to do really. And I've never seen a more anticlimactic ending to any story.

Oblivion is the complete opposite. It is perfect. A game could not be made better than Oblivion was at the time of its release. Anyone who says otherwise is just an asshole. "OH BUT IT DOESNT HAVE ROPECLIMBING THEY IS DUMBING IT DOWN FOR THA CONSOLE KIDDIEZ".

MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrGetBonus

Oblivion by far. Fable II was a  bit disappointing for me and, considering Fable I, expectations weren't all that high.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red

Fable 2. Oblivion is just way too boring and slow.

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marnox
Red said:
"Fable 2. Oblivion is just way too boring and slow."
I think it's easier to like Fable 2 because the story is already written for you. You don't need to think or depend on others around you. The world in Fable 2 is set in stone.
In Oblivion you need to think and really get into the world to understand it. It takes time finding a bandit and kill him. It's becuase the bandit DOES NOT want to die. In Fable 2 every bandit I met was suicidel. He wanted to day. It didn't feel real at all. That is the main difference her. Oblivion wants to create a believeable world. Fable 2 wants to tell you a great story.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Red
Marnox said:
"Red said:
"Fable 2. Oblivion is just way too boring and slow."
I think it's easier to like Fable 2 because the story is already written for you. You don't need to think or depend on others around you. The world in Fable 2 is set in stone.
In Oblivion you need to think and really get into the world to understand it. It takes time finding a bandit and kill him. It's becuase the bandit DOES NOT want to die. In Fable 2 every bandit I met was suicidel. He wanted to day. It didn't feel real at all. That is the main difference her. Oblivion wants to create a believeable world. Fable 2 wants to tell you a great story.
"
Well, Oblivion stopped creating a believable world the 80th time I heard "May I interest you in my wares?"
Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Marnox

So it's not believeable that a merchant wants to sell his wares? If you go to your local market, you will hear them shout out the same thing over and over again :P

Avatar image for aversiontherapy
AversionTherapy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AversionTherapy

If Fable 2 was as long as oblivion it would be amazing, just way too short, but everything else, combat, gameplay etc is way better in fable 2.

joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joslop500

Fable 2 100%. I didnt enjoy Oblivion at all.

SleazyP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SleazyP

Fable 2 wins hands down. Oblivion is a horrible game. HORRIBLE!!!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Fable II is a true and fun RPG . Oblivion is nothing but boredom

Avatar image for thesleepingdead
TheSleepingDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheSleepingDead

I'd pick Oblivion, Fable 2 seems to me like RPG lite I want the full hardcore RPG experience I need something I can sink hours into and not just because I can do things the "good" way or the "bad" way although to be quite honest I haven't played Fable 2 and I am just basing my biased opinion on the first Fable but I'd still play both

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By weltal

Well... I'd only buy the PC Oblivion. I find the game too dull without the mods. So, if you're only going for the 360 I'd say Fable 2.

coolof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By coolof
Im a huge fan of the art design and style in the Fable series. The combat i fable2 is way easy but for the most part still fun. The game itself aint that deep though but for what it's worth, everything in the game works really well.

Oblivion for me fails on that aspect. It has a huge world but everything looks the same and the level system kills the whole experience for me. So I guess it could be good if played on a PC with a couple of mods installed. Guess it would not fix the horrible voice acting and crappy animations though.
ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By ColMustard

i never even looked at Oblivion, due to the fact that I hated Morrowind, but Fallout 3 is so good I may actually pick it up.  Fable 1 was highly overrated but everyone says the 2nd is great so I will get it for Xmas.  We'll see...

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Stevokenevo

its not really fair to put the two side by side, because oblivion has been out for years.  Games have progressed since then. 

manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By manic

i cant stop playing oblivion its so god damn fun i play it for hours on end

i have 5 different characters i use one to follow the main story line one is a theives guild member one is a fighters guild member ect...

i use different characters depending on what i feel like doing

i made one charicter in fable 2 i played for a while got bored went on a rampage and my skin went all black (kinda racist if you ask me) at first it was cool being evil but i soon got bored  turned of the game and played oblivion

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By turbomonkey138

Oblivion and  fable are different games . Its like comparing halo to gears of gear . Stop it

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#33  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

In my mind they're not really similar games but I'd always choose Fable 2 over Oblivion. Despite multiple attempts I never really managed to get into the world of Oblivion, whereas I really fell in love with Fable 2 right from when I first started playing.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Babble

They are two different games, but between the two I can't help but recommend Fable II over Oblivion if you were only interested in buying one. 

Perhaps you might get enthralled by Oblivion and let it suck up 100+ hours of your life, but for me the combat and the huge world being pretty generic made dislike the game more.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JoelTGM

Fable 1 was enjoyable, but I didn't like Fable 2 as much because there was no loot collecting like in the original.  Oblivion was more enjoyable, lasted longer, and is definitely more memorable.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By r0k1ll

I love oblivion because of the wonder of what will happen next. If you like Fallout 3, you will love oblivion. If you want to try fable 2, the first chapter is free on games on demand.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Guys, this post is 1 year old.  I doubt he's reading your responses.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By septim

I would say they are practically nothing alike. Fable II is a much more guided game, some might even call it more of an adventure game than an RPG. Oblivion doesn't hold your hand at all, in fact it practically dumps you out of the car while it's still moving. Oblivion is a much deeper experience in every sense, but Fable II is easier, and arguably more fun to pick up and play.

Calidreth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By Calidreth
Oblivion hands down -- Fable II was awful
OhdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OhdK

Fable 2 = Oblivion lite
Therefore it's easier and more accessible to play, though Oblivion has more in-depth content

manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By manic

fable 2 was a little boring if you ask me  the person who made it has something for orphans heres some examples 

fable-main character had family killed by bandits 

fable 2-main character had sister killed by current monarch
Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Fable 2, never really got sucked into oblivion.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sjupp

One year old thread bump. Cheers.
I like the mood and story/sidequests in oblivion, the combat could've been better though.

manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By manic
@FluxWaveZ: 
 Guys, this post is 1 year old.  I doubt he's reading your responses.      

re--so what were all reading the responses