Fable Legends announced

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Fable Legends, a 4 player co-op Fable game set 400 years before the first game, has just been announced.

The Fable games always have a place in my heart, from the amazing first game to the pretty cool second game and even Fable 3. I played the first one when it came out and loved it. Played the hell out of the Lost Chapters when it released also.

I met my wife around the time Fable 2 came out and she loved it when I showed her. It was a really fun co-op experience because it was the first time I didn't play co-op with a friend and instead with a girlfriend. Although I was more into the story and fighting and she was more into the... sexing every single Albion citizen you could woo (much like she does when she plays The Sims). She even powered through Fable 3 and completed every single thing there was to do before I even got past the first mission (she kind of took over my Xbox). We skipped that Kinect game and that XBLA game because even she could see they were dumb ideas and she doesn't even play games that much.

She never got to play the first game and it would be too hard to have to play it today, so I'm glad they are remaking it and having the Fable 2/3 control scheme as an optional layout for the controller because it'll make things easier for her to get into it. But I completely digress.

Now there is a brand new game that has been announced. It'll be a 4 player, whether you have players or AI, co-op game. There can also be a 5th player playing as a villain, setting where to spawn monsters and set traps. At first this sounds really great, almost like a sort of Left 4 Dead like multiplayer experience. However I don't know how this will affect the portions of Fable my wife enjoyed the most; wandering around the towns, buying real estate, and fucking every single thing on two legs. With so many players, and a fifth playing an adversarial role, the game would have to rush to get to the combat parts to satisfy everyone. I'm super excited to play a new Fable game with my wife either way.

What do you all think?

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Fable to a reasonable extent and am hopeful for this, but definitely don't have high expectations. If Molyneux was still there I'd feel more confident. Also, gameplay, gameplay, gameplay; where the fuck are you, my dear gameplay? Was there a date mentioned?

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Fable to a reasonable extent and am hopeful for this, but definitely don't have high expectations. If Molyneux was still there I'd feel more confident. Also, gameplay, gameplay, gameplay; where the fuck are you, my dear gameplay? Was there a date mentioned?

I'm actually more optimistic now that Molyneux is gone. It seems a lot of people hated Fable 3, Fable Heroes was just stupid and Fable Kinect whateverwascalled was not what I wanted in a Fable game and those all happened while he was still there. Now there's a remake of the first Fable and it looks fantastic and this new one can be good too.

No date has been said yet at all, but its safe to assume a 2014 window.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't even remotely interested with Molyneux gone.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Wampa1

That's Michael Gambon right? Fable never lacks for great British voice actors at least.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Another co-op game? I liked my Fable a real fable, not a cooperative experience.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AlexGlass

Great job OP. One of the better posts I've seen on Gamescom stuff. Looks and sounds great and cloud-only which makes it very intriguing for me. So this is basically kind of like Phantasy Star Online set in the Fable universe? Super hyped.

People who are comparing this to old Fables didn't read the announcement. Sounds nothing like it except the best part: art style and setting. It even states each character has a different user interface, and camera views.

Unless it's more like just arena combat, in which case, I'm less hyped.

Edit: Updated with 1080p screens. Link underneath.

No Caption Provided

1080p

No Caption Provided

1080p

This pic tells me it could be more like PSO...

No Caption Provided

1080p

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By xyzygy

I'm also getting a huge PSO vibe from this. But I have to say, that was a kick ass trailer. Very impressed, definitely the best Fable trailer.

And with Molyneux gone I feel like they can experiment more and make it more of an RPG (which is what this seems to be)

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexGlass

@xyzygy said:

I'm also getting a huge PSO vibe from this. But I have to say, that was a kick ass trailer. Very impressed, definitely the best Fable trailer.

And with Molyneux gone I feel like they can experiment more and make it more of an RPG (which is what this seems to be)

If it's anything like PSO with Fable's FUN combat system I'm completely sold. I mean I spent months on PSO and loved every minute despite the combat system. Cant' do MMOs but I can do PSO.

The only question is....will it have duping? ;)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@zacagawea said:

I'm actually more optimistic now that Molyneux is gone. It seems a lot of people hated Fable 3, Fable Heroes was just stupid and Fable Kinect whateverwascalled was not what I wanted in a Fable game and those all happened while he was still there. Now there's a remake of the first Fable and it looks fantastic and this new one can be good too.

Isn't the Fable remake more or less an HD upgrade? It doesn't take Molyneux to be around for something like that to happen. And his lack of presence won't necessarily fix what went wrong with Fable III.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

@hailinel said:

@somedelicook said:

@zacagawea said:

Isn't the Fable remake more or less an HD upgrade? It doesn't take Molyneux to be around for something like that to happen. And his lack of presence won't necessarily fix what went wrong with Fable III.

They're not trying to fix Fable III. From the looks of the trailer it's a completely different game from Fable III, with allegiances and classes. That is what Fable needs to make it more of an actual game instead of pandering to a more casual crowd. Don't get me wrong I love Fable, but it is a very "lite" series. Legends looks to add differentiation between choice of character class and play styles, whereas in the other Fables you could really just mix anything together, kind of like how Skyrim doesn't really have a a class system (to my utter dismay).

The added bonus of playing as a villain makes this even more interesting. That brings in so many opportunities for MMO-like gameplay.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexGlass

I just realized those screens look like they are in-engine and missed that the game's using Unreal 4. One of the first.

It also has a single player mode yet requires the cloud and is online-only. Interesting. Wonder if this will be one of the first games to take advantage of the cloud for more than just A.I.

Also just noticed the troll has a sword stuck in his shoulder. lol

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sdharrison

I was on the hype train for Fable 3. Picked it up on release day and was ready to be wowed. It was a bait and switch, and stands to this day as the most abused I've felt by a 60 dollar purchase from a known developer.

I won't have an Xbox One, but the lingering resentment from F3 makes me wish nothing but ill on the franchise. Die in a hellish blaze, Albion.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The trailer really captured the things that made me love Fable, but it's hard to say where they're going with this. An MMO (or even a PSO style online game) could work really well with the Fable setting and I'd love to see that. If it's a MOBA? Not so much..

Either way, it'd have to be seriously impressive to make me consider buying an Xbox One and after Fable 3 they have a lot to prove, especially without Molyneux.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

Weird.

I really liked Fable 1 and TLC (I'd even go as far as to say it is probably my favorite Xbox game), but man has that series fallen off.