Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Reuptake

No Caption Provided
W
hen I was a child I loved virtually everything about Japanese culture. My first exposure to anime was in 1993 before the genre became a mainstream hit in the West. I remember being an impressionable 14 year old boy putting a VHS copy of "Riding Bean" into my VCR and becoming enthralled by sex, violence, and mature themes in what was essentially a cartoon. My love affair with anime and manga soon followed. I rented all the hits: Akira, Venus Wars, Guyver, Ranma 1/2, Project Ako, etc., and collected every issue of "Area 88" that was published in the United States. I'd also become a fan of JRPGs, especially the Final Fantasy series, with FF4 (II US) being the first RPG I ever completed from beginning to end. I even cried at the finale. In short, my exposure to Japanese culture was a life-altering event in many ways.

The Japanese had a pretty solid lock on the video game industry in the 80s and 90s, both in terms of hardware and publishing. Hell, it wasn't until the original Xbox that a viable Western console even existed, and over the past fifteen years or so, the market has expanded to the point where being known to dabble in video games doesn't carry the same stigma it used to. As the industry changed, and as gamers grew older, their tastes tended to change as well. What used to entertain and pass as high storytelling failed to be quite as satisfying as time went on, and the pimply-faced gamers of yesterday became the college graduates and working professionals of today. And yet the Japanese, the culture that started it all, has been the one part of the industry most resistant to change. I remember being dazzled by the graphics and effects of Final Fantasy VII, a title that's heralded as one of the industry's best to this day - but as time passed, and the ironically titled Final Fantasy games kept plodding forward, I noticed some trends that troubled me.

Many Japanese games are all about flash, style over substance, and oozing globs of melodrama. This trend extends far beyond the Final Fantasy series; just look at Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Lost Odyssey and the Metal Gear Solid series among others. Usually the characters in these games are two-dimensional with motives that are indecipherable at best, and the titles themselves often seem to be more of an excuse for programmers and storyboard writers to show how good they are at producing cutscenes than compelling game play. I wrote about some of these issues in my review of Metal Gear Solid 4, but I didn't really start to ponder it as a whole until recently.

Obviously Japan is a radically different culture from the United States in many respects, and what flies for entertainment over here may very well fall flat on its face in Kyoto, but the fact remains: I used to love playing these games. So what happened? I grew up. I still play video games nearly every day, though in much smaller doses than before. I enjoy the deep storytelling and atmosphere of Bioshock, the brooding isolation and terror of Penumbra, the visceral battlefield experience of Dawn of War 2, and the mindless but compelling action of Halo. And these are just titles that I can think of off the top of my head that I've enjoyed over the past few years. Noticeably absent, however, is a single JRPG title, or more to the point, any title from Japan recently. Final Fantasy, the series I once adored, is now all about simplistic characters - or rather caricatures of characters, in increasingly complex and convoluted plots that are incredibly difficult to follow, abstract, and leave you wondering why you should care about the plight of any of the protagonists at all. If I was still 14, maybe I would find these games compelling. But alas, I am not. Perhaps I will return to the Japanese gaming industry when it grows up too.    
Reuptake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Reuptake

No Caption Provided
W
hen I was a child I loved virtually everything about Japanese culture. My first exposure to anime was in 1993 before the genre became a mainstream hit in the West. I remember being an impressionable 14 year old boy putting a VHS copy of "Riding Bean" into my VCR and becoming enthralled by sex, violence, and mature themes in what was essentially a cartoon. My love affair with anime and manga soon followed. I rented all the hits: Akira, Venus Wars, Guyver, Ranma 1/2, Project Ako, etc., and collected every issue of "Area 88" that was published in the United States. I'd also become a fan of JRPGs, especially the Final Fantasy series, with FF4 (II US) being the first RPG I ever completed from beginning to end. I even cried at the finale. In short, my exposure to Japanese culture was a life-altering event in many ways.

The Japanese had a pretty solid lock on the video game industry in the 80s and 90s, both in terms of hardware and publishing. Hell, it wasn't until the original Xbox that a viable Western console even existed, and over the past fifteen years or so, the market has expanded to the point where being known to dabble in video games doesn't carry the same stigma it used to. As the industry changed, and as gamers grew older, their tastes tended to change as well. What used to entertain and pass as high storytelling failed to be quite as satisfying as time went on, and the pimply-faced gamers of yesterday became the college graduates and working professionals of today. And yet the Japanese, the culture that started it all, has been the one part of the industry most resistant to change. I remember being dazzled by the graphics and effects of Final Fantasy VII, a title that's heralded as one of the industry's best to this day - but as time passed, and the ironically titled Final Fantasy games kept plodding forward, I noticed some trends that troubled me.

Many Japanese games are all about flash, style over substance, and oozing globs of melodrama. This trend extends far beyond the Final Fantasy series; just look at Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Lost Odyssey and the Metal Gear Solid series among others. Usually the characters in these games are two-dimensional with motives that are indecipherable at best, and the titles themselves often seem to be more of an excuse for programmers and storyboard writers to show how good they are at producing cutscenes than compelling game play. I wrote about some of these issues in my review of Metal Gear Solid 4, but I didn't really start to ponder it as a whole until recently.

Obviously Japan is a radically different culture from the United States in many respects, and what flies for entertainment over here may very well fall flat on its face in Kyoto, but the fact remains: I used to love playing these games. So what happened? I grew up. I still play video games nearly every day, though in much smaller doses than before. I enjoy the deep storytelling and atmosphere of Bioshock, the brooding isolation and terror of Penumbra, the visceral battlefield experience of Dawn of War 2, and the mindless but compelling action of Halo. And these are just titles that I can think of off the top of my head that I've enjoyed over the past few years. Noticeably absent, however, is a single JRPG title, or more to the point, any title from Japan recently. Final Fantasy, the series I once adored, is now all about simplistic characters - or rather caricatures of characters, in increasingly complex and convoluted plots that are incredibly difficult to follow, abstract, and leave you wondering why you should care about the plight of any of the protagonists at all. If I was still 14, maybe I would find these games compelling. But alas, I am not. Perhaps I will return to the Japanese gaming industry when it grows up too.    
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By AltonBrown
@Reuptake:  Play Persona 4.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shirogane

I kinda liked Reimi, mainly cause she constantly slapped Edge. Needed to happen a few million more times though. 

I guess i'm different to most people here, i enjoy the weird insanity of Jap games, but not all of them. Quite a lot of them are as bad as quite a lot of western games are. Also, most of the games people on here like, i just can't get into. 

Also a weird thing, i thought MGS4 was the worst of all the MGS games. Not that it was bad, still good, but not as good as the others.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By napalm

"Compelling" and "Halo" in the same sentence? You just voided your own argument.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ToadRunner

very nicely written i agree 100%

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By LiquidSwords
@Napalm said:
""Compelling" and "Halo" in the same sentence? You just voided your own argument. "
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Three0neFive

I never understood why they call Japan the Land of the Rising Sun. For them (and the rest of the far east)  wouldn't we be the Land of the Rising Sun?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@ToadRunner said:
very nicely written
That's really all I can use. I think several Japanese games have a bit of substance.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane
@Three0neFive said:
"I never understood why they call Japan the Land of the Rising Sun. For them (and the rest of the far east)  wouldn't we be the Land of the Rising Sun? "

I think it's their flag? Although if you really wanted to know you could probably google or wiki it...and find pages upon pages of useless information.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Western games have been better than Japanese games for years. Shrug.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By neoepoch

Valkyria Chronicles is quite good.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Pepsiman

Like other people have said, your post is well written, but I hope you give me luxury of disagreeing. Attributing a lot of the economic and creative issues that the Japanese side of the industry is having at the moment to "differences in culture" is a mentality that has a tendency to create too slippery of an argumentative slope for my tastes. It creates this unnecessarily mystical aura and a sense of "the other," making it all too easy to comfortably think that things are the way they are over there just because. The Japanese bow a lot because that's just how they do things. They take their shoes off upon entering a house because that's how things have always been. They're hellbent on etiquette and humbleness because that's just how the culture is. Their games just aren't plausible or viable anymore because they're from Japan. The reality of most anything is too complex to just be boiled down to supposed "cultural differences." There are logical reasons for how and why things happen the way they do in Japan and that most certainly includes their games.

It's not the culture that makes their games, their manga, their anime, their what-have-you; it's always, always the people and their individual life circumstances and perspectives behind them that are the driving factors. To boil it down to culture is to imply that everybody has the same mob mentality when that's hardly the case. If Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, and the like are flashy and without substance, it is because that's what the individual creators and development team were attempting to accomplish: something that's merely entertaining, not transcendental. If they can put a smile on a person's face or make them laugh or evoke most any other emotion, they've done their job and hopefully gotten paid for it. It was the decision of the people on those teams to go in that particular direction and economically, can you really blame them? It's not as though a lot of games throughout the world are superficial without a reason; consumers aren't all necessarily looking for metaphysical rhetoric a la Bioshock and nor are the thoughtful creators always able to produce the deep, meaningful games they probably entered the industry to create. If there are situational issues with Japanese games being too base, then part of it is at least a supply and demand sort of thing. People are buying these games and that tells the creators and company leaders that they probably want those styles perpetuated. But conversely, it's just as much a deliberate decision to go forward and try something quirky, daring, bold, or provocative if a game goes those routes. The lesser-sung heroes of the Japanese game industry from a creative standpoint, the Personas, the No More Heroes, the Trauma Centers, the older Final Fantasies all are the way they are because it was the people behind those games that opted to design those games that way. No More Heroes is not such a violent, oddball because that's just what Japanese culture loves; it's an oddball because it came from a dude who came up with the idea while sitting on a toilet.

These and other issues you brought up in your post are ultimately ones that pertain to all games equally of every region. Japan is getting the most attention right now because the industry is in decline for a number of reasons (not just alleged creative ones), but if you take a long, hard look at North American, European, and Southeast Asian games, you'll find superficiality and meaningless to be underlying qualities of a lot of games and, ultimately, other things in entertainment as well. Farmville is not a smash hit on Facebook because people are wanting to live the rural life online; it's because it has mechanics that have proven themselves to be addictive. Halo sells because it has a brand of viscerality that people really, really enjoy. Those sorts of games are doing well because they tap into basic human desires and do it in such a way that warrants continued attention and revenue. This is not a by-product of culture from anywhere, but from people who made the smart ideals relative to their desires and situations. The world is such a globalized place anymore that the creative byproducts that come from its people cannot be so simply attributed to culture, but life experiences and beliefs and the culmination of a lot of other factors. Everybody is so connected to each other and sharing experiences that there's just no way that any barriers that might still exist can be due to one monolithic, easily-defined thing. It doesn't do the matter enough justice.

If the Japanese industry is problematic to you (and it is for me, too, believe me), it's because of individual people and teams who decided to make their games in ways that just don't resonate with you in the way you want. You might not have been their target audience in the first place. Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and everything else to come from that side of the Pacific are no more representative of Japanese culture than anything else the country might have to offer. Japan is not just haikus and hanami, honorifics and old castles, pop culture and the arts; anything created within its borders can incorporate elements that give Japan a cohesive national identity, but they can never hope to completely epitomize and encompass all that Japan is and what it stands for because it is entirely relative. Novelists in the US have the same predicaments known as "the Great American novel." Everything from The Catcher in the Rye to To Kill a Mockingbird to Of Mice and Men incorporate elements of what the individual authors and many readers perceive to be America and American, but they can never conceivable describe the entire experience because it's larger than one person and, again, thanks to globalization, even one culture. The same goes for games made in every region, Japan included.

I admit that I am perhaps not the most objective person to have this sort of discussion about the Japanese gaming industry with; I speak the language, have lived and traveled in Japan, and intend to return for further university study in the relatively near-future. Japan is, from my experience, both everything and nothing that people make it out to be, so if I seem so insistent on not accepting the cultural argument, it's because those are my personal beliefs from actually being there. I can't expect everybody to agree with them, even people who have or are living there, but since I only speak for myself, I am comfortable with positing those ideas.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Hailinel
@Three0neFive said:

" I never understood why they call Japan the Land of the Rising Sun. For them (and the rest of the far east)  wouldn't we be the Land of the Rising Sun? "

To quote Wikipedia (so take this with a shaker of salt), the kanji characters that make up the name of the nation ( 日本, or Nihon) mean sun-origin, which is where the phrase is derived from.  Someone more familiar with the Japanese language than I could probably confirm how truthful this assessment is.

@Pepsiman: Well said!  Culture is really more than simply the sum of its parts.  Otherwise, Marcus Fenix and Master Chief would probably be considered indicative of the entirety of western game design. ;)
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#14  Edited By Pepsiman
@Hailinel: You can indeed derive those meanings from the kanji. The origin part, derived from 本, is a bit more obtuse today since, at least in my experience, it isn't used in a whole lot of vocabulary today that has direct meanings to those sorts of ideas, but you're pretty much right on the ball.

And it is indeed good that the Western side has no universal indicators for what makes their games their own. Master Chief and Marcus Fenix do their jobs very well, but much like anywhere else, games can be all so diverse and oftentimes divisive that ultimately those characters have no more merit of representing the entire Western side of the industry than, say, Psychonauts' Raz or anybody from a Gauntlet game.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15  Edited By Symphony
@Pepsiman said:
" [Huge Wall of Text of Dooooom] "
Wow, that was longer than the average blog post most people here write! What prompted such a response? 

Dammit, you covered all the bases and then some. I have nothing to add... cept maybe a jab at the fact the OP harped on one-dimensional characters and then immediately followed that up with enjoying games like Halo and Bioshock... Both solid games in their own rights, but you can't get more one-dimensional than Master Chief, Atlas, or Andrew Ryan. :P
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Johnny5

I don't really feel like writing stuff but uhh I guess i'll leave this here. 

No Caption Provided