#1 Posted by JohnLocke (271 posts) -

Hey all,

I have just started playing Fallout New Vegas on PC (thanks to the Steam Sales, wooo) but am coming up against a technical issue. Every time I launch the game, and go to play from the launcher, the game will crash at the Bethesda logo screen. However if I launch again not long after the game runs fine. Is this a common issue and what can I do to resolve it?

Also, I have now got to the stage of requiring help from towns folk to repell the chain gang explosive guys, are there any good side missions to do to level up before taking this on?

Thank you.

#2 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

For your first question if you have any mods disable thoughs and see if it runs

For your second question that's pretty much the first quest you should do if I remember correctly

#3 Posted by JohnLocke (271 posts) -

I do not have any mods running. I do have Raptr and of course Steam running, but I am not sure if they are creating a conflict?

It is part of the first quest (i.e. done the shooting cans off the fence and killing the gekos and finding the herbs etc). I just seem to remember when I did this on PS3 I got very stuck as I had to level up speech to convince people but I would like to level up the other skills as well this time to give myself a better chance in combat when required, I did not get far with the PS3 version and traded it in earlier in the year).

#4 Edited by Impossibilium (687 posts) -

If you have more than 4GB RAM on a 64-bit system head over to Fallout Nexus and download the 4GB .exe.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35262

Head over to Nexus anyway. I finally got around to playing the DLC last month and using the new weapon textures, the NMC texture pack and the weather effects this game looks excellent now. Better than the joke Rage is on the PC. And it runs flawlessly. Also download the UI mod that increases visible speech options and cleans up the PiPBoy interface.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/top/

If it still crashes, delete the config file, update your drivers and restart.

#5 Posted by mosdl (3258 posts) -

Posting to the steam forums for the game might be usefull as well.

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Try verifying the cache. Right click on the game in your list and go to properties and I think local files. In fact there might be the option in the first right click menu, I forget.

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

What @MordeaniisChaos suggests is what you should try first whenever anything goes weird with a particular game. Here's the formal version:

• Right click on the offending game in your Steam library and click Properties.
  • Shuffle on over to the Local files and click Verify integrity of game cache
  • Wait while Steam checks out your game files. This can take seconds or up to ten minutes depending how how big the game is (Team Fortress 2 is the only one I know that will take ten minutes).
  • If any files were missing or corrupt, Steam will redownload them and you should be good to go!

Make sure your video drivers are up to date, too.

#8 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Has worked so many times for me over the years. Thanks for explaining it. My PC is down for the count at the moment after a freak dusting accident so I couldn't check. It's been a while since I had to do it and couldn't remember the exact process.

#9 Posted by WarlordPayne (705 posts) -

@JohnLocke said:

I do not have any mods running. I do have Raptr and of course Steam running, but I am not sure if they are creating a conflict?

It is part of the first quest (i.e. done the shooting cans off the fence and killing the gekos and finding the herbs etc). I just seem to remember when I did this on PS3 I got very stuck as I had to level up speech to convince people but I would like to level up the other skills as well this time to give myself a better chance in combat when required, I did not get far with the PS3 version and traded it in earlier in the year).

You will never be able to meet all the skill/stat requirements for all of the quests. Level up the stuff that you want to have and if quests have dialog options for the skills you have then it's a bonus. I've started 3 characters in New Vegas without getting all of the townspeople to help me, and I've never had a problem with that quest. Just grab who you can and wipe out the bandits then the game opens up and you can go wander and get an overwhelming number of side quests.

#10 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

@JohnLocke said:

You will never be able to meet all the skill/stat requirements for all of the quests. Level up the stuff that you want to have and if quests have dialog options for the skills you have then it's a bonus. I've started 3 characters in New Vegas without getting all of the townspeople to help me, and I've never had a problem with that quest. Just grab who you can and wipe out the bandits then the game opens up and you can go wander and get an overwhelming number of side quests.

This isn't exactly true. You can meet most of the skill requirements in Goodsprings outright, and even if you can't there's a good amount of skill magazines littered around that will give you a decent chunk of temp skill points that will let you pass the checks.

The hardest part of that mission is finishing it without having the Powder Gangers hating you, so you can still go down to NCRCF and do "I Fought the Law" without everybody shooting at you.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos:

I post that often enough, that I just copied it from my guide ;)