Famitsu, why do we care?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nictel

Ok I've been wondering this for quite some time, actually a few years, but always forgot to ask. Now with the Famitsu thread up about FFXIII I remembered. 

So to continue with FFXIII, it apparently got a 39/40 and everybody is going in to rampage mode. Why is it that Famitsu is considered so important? 

With gamer magazine Y we would simply shrugged our shoulders and move on, but with Famitsu the gaming world seems to hold their opinion to be equal to God's.
Is it because they are often the first to review a game? Or because they have been along for quite some time? Or because it's a Japanese magazine and Japan == cool? Or is it simple that because they used to be really tough with ratings (we all know low review scores == true review *Insert roll eyes here*)?

Because I just have the feeling that everybody says Famitsu is really important when it comes to reviews but nobody really knows why.
 Hopefully someone can clear this up for me and at the same time correct my believe that we're all just a bunch of mindless sheep that say stuff without really knowing why.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dbz1995

Its not just famitsu...8.9 Twilight Princess?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Who's going in a rampage? What are you talking about? 39 is a great score. I think you're over exaggerating.

I like Famitsu purely because I agree with a lot of what they have to say, but they're still reviewers and if you don't like the score, don't take it personally. It's just their opinion. 

I like them because it has reviews from four people, not just one. Therefore it's more of a balance.

quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By quezen

39/40 is a fantastic score.
Anyone mad about that needs to get their anger on S-E...
The game doesnt look "wow" at all, just like a very highly production-costly-JRPG
But then again, I felt the same about ff8 and ff9 and both were imo 9.5/10

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Only fanboys could ever be upset over a score like that. I mean, dude, I don't think anyone else was really expecting FFXIII to somehow shape up into the best game ever. Heck, dude. About a year and a half later after we first saw it, I am just now able to figure out that the main character is a girl. Before that box art came out, I just really couldn't tell at all.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

I heard there are people outraged at the score but I still haven't seen anyone like that

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

OMG FINAL FANTASY DIDNT GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!!   ITS THE END OF THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nictel
@dbz1995 said:
" Its not just famitsu...8.9 Twilight Princess? "
But then the reaction was more 'gamespot is wrong' than 'the game must be bad' while with Famitsu the scores seem to determine the game is good or bad. You don't hear or at least I don't "famitsu is wrong, biased, got paid millions for the review"

(Also I'm not talking about a specific score, I just took FFXIII as the most recent example, personally they could have given it a 30/40 and I still would have bought it.)
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Hamst3r
@Nictel: It's because they've handed out so few scores that high. When a review source has been around a long time and they've barely rated anything a near-perfect score, when they do, people notice.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By TobyD81

From the Kotaku article, it looks like no other Final Fantasy game has gotten a 40 either except FF12. Big deal! That just means it's still one of the highest-rated in the series. I'm gonna get this because I dig Final Fantasy and it looks like a blast.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By demontium
@Nictel said:
" Ok I've been wondering this for quite some time, actually a few years, but always forgot to ask. Now with the Famitsu thread up about FFXIII I remembered.   So to continue with FFXIII, it apparently got a 39/40 and everybody is going in to rampage mode. Why is it that Famitsu is considered so important?   With gamer magazine Y we would simply shrugged our shoulders and move on, but with Famitsu the gaming world seems to hold their opinion to be equal to God's. Is it because they are often the first to review a game? Or because they have been along for quite some time? Or because it's a Japanese magazine and Japan == cool? Or is it simple that because they used to be really tough with ratings (we all know low review scores == true review *Insert roll eyes here*)?  Because I just have the feeling that everybody says Famitsu is really important when it comes to reviews but nobody really knows why.  Hopefully someone can clear this up for me and at the same time correct my believe that we're all just a bunch of mindless sheep that say stuff without really knowing why. "
I think it is because it has become the most popular review source that Americans know. 

Furthermore, they, while overrating many games, have a great system.  

They accumulate the scores of 4 reviewers and put them ALL together. 

However I agree, the reviewers are really biased and do not need this much attention from Western audiences.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
(IDGAF) 

@Nictel:

Who the fuck is everybody?, and most importantly, why?... 

If westerners who are not actually able to read the review, then look at the score alone and get pissed off about the lack of a solitary point, they are tards.  So it begs me to ask an obvious question, why do you even care about their responses when it's so obviously idiotic?. 

Since when did the "gaming world" ' consider their opinion equal to god?, In all my 20 years of gaming I've never ever heard anything of the likes. Where have you got such bullshit opinion from exactly?  

Incorrect on all counts... If Westerners show interest in their review for this game, it has everything to do with the fact it's a JRPG and a Final Fantasy game. Famitsu Magazine, being the oldest running most respected gaming publication in Japan, have reviewed far more JRPG's than anyone other publication or website around today. Famitsu have a intimate knowledge of both the genre and the Final Fantasy series, that's why.... 
Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Linkyshinks: Generally people who play these Japanese games trust Japanese reviews more than American review. There are exceptions.

Though, this is not fact and is IMO.