This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Anthal (20 posts) -

Giant Bomb/Comic Vine has been sold to CBS Interactive. The other Whiskey Media sites were sold to BermanBraun.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/wm-has-been-sold/539505/#147

This information was taken from the justin.tv video, which can be found here. This will NOT be covering the changes to Tested, Screened, or AnimeVice. They have their own announcements/threads for that information.

-Giantbomb is relocating to the Gamespot offices with ComicVine. The old office has been vacated.

-Who is going? Giantbomb/ComicVine: Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Patrick, Alex, Drew, Dave, Alexis, Tony, and Sara (plus some engineering people). They are also taking the couch, Cool Baby, and Luchadeer. They cannot take the brick wall. Gamebomb.ru is not being moved with GiantBomb.

-No content will change. The Bombcast is still every Tuesday, and Quicklooks/video content will resume soon. DO NOT send mailbag stuff to their old office.

-GiantBomb will have it's own content, and will have full editorial control over it. They will not cut any features just because Gamespot already does it.

-The site is being redesigned, but you won't see it for a couple of months.

-Meebo bar is gone. Ads may/will change somewhat in the future.

-There will be some crossover with the Gamespot staff, but they are their own entities. You will likely see cameos from the Whiskey staff in the future.

-Subscription details are coming soon. No current word on what's happening to dollars spent.

-According to Jeff, the real reason for the move is because the GB crew wants to hustle the GS crew in Warlords cash games. They did not keep Joey, but Drew can hustle just as well.

-At 4PM Pacific (7PM Eastern)today, Jeff will be talking with John Davison about why he was fired from Gamespot. This will happen on both GiantBomb and Gamespot.

#2 Edited by Error1355 (97 posts) -

After watching the stream, and seeing how excited the guys were for this deal, I'm not worried.

#3 Posted by readymix (175 posts) -

Thanks for this. I just woke up to this madness and missed most of the stream.

#4 Posted by deadly_polo (471 posts) -

Seems like the a deal Jeff and the guys were completely satisfied with, therefore I just sit with baited breath.

#5 Posted by Error1355 (97 posts) -

Plus I'm a GameFAQs moderator, so maybe I don't have the extreme negative views on CBS Interactive that everyone else might have.

*flee*

#6 Posted by Capum15 (4876 posts) -
@Anthal: Thanks for that, I was wondering about Drew since I missed his name when Jeff was naming names.

Phew, that means the Sim Flight Trio is still good to go.
#7 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

-Swearing - Confirmed.

#8 Posted by jaffaz (138 posts) -

Good work this straightened everything out :)

#9 Edited by uniform (1835 posts) -

Bravo! Thanks for giving a Faq for those of us without the time to watch the whole stream.

#10 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

@Error1355 said:

After watching the stream, and seeing how excited the guys were for this deal, I'm not worried.

Thank you.

#11 Posted by SirThirdFilms (171 posts) -

I'm happy someone posted this cause I've been doing my good god damndest trying to tell people what is going on

#12 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

Feels weird that all they whiskey sites are being split apart.

#13 Posted by GinjaAssassin (158 posts) -

I'm pretty excited by this. Anticipating what's to come. Also, really excited to see that interview at 4.

#14 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4395 posts) -

@ccampb89 said:

@Error1355 said:

Thank you.

Thank you x2. They all seemed fucking pumped and, over the past 4 years, they have yet to let me down so if they're all behind this, then so am I.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Drew, Dave and Vinny. All I needed to know.

#16 Posted by TromboneTony (156 posts) -

Interesting, I've been wondering why there's been such little content this week. Guess it's because they were packing up and getting ready to move.

Still don't know how I feel about this, but I will give you guys a chance. What you've given me for entertainment has been excellent, so you guys deserve that much.

#17 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

After watching the stream, I have one very important contribution that I feel needs to be seriously considered:

#18 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Always good to take everything at face value with little to no critical thinking.

#19 Posted by spiralcut (118 posts) -

@Anthal: Good note taking indeed!

#20 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

SELLOUTS! WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! 0________0

Kidding. Kidding. This is great news guys. So happy for the whole Giantbomb crew on this new deal. :)

#21 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

I watched the live stream myself and wow - big news, HUGE NEWS. It must feel strange for Jeff to walk back into an office he was fired from in late 2007. And just when it couldn't get any bigger, they are gonna talk about why he was fired in the first place. I've been trying to access the Tested.com website about their news but haven't been able to. Maybe a lot of traffic has temporarlily brought it down? I'm pleased for the Whiskey Media Family and that they are moving up in the world. But at the same time, it's kinda sad that they are splitting up.

A-ha, finally managed to get onto Tested.com

#22 Posted by dudeglove (7758 posts) -

@I_smell said:

After watching the stream, I have one very important contribution that I feel needs to be seriously considered:

Perfect.

#23 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

Man, even Brad is out there in the forum trenches.

#24 Posted by Minifig (136 posts) -

Quests had better not disappear. I use them to kill time when I'm bored.

#25 Posted by AllanIceman (1323 posts) -

@Aarny said:

Feels weird that all they whiskey sites are being split apart.

It saddens me that there will be no more random will norm gary rorie sightings. :'(

#26 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

Can i ask a dumb question. Why does it make sense for CBS to have TWO separate video game websites. Isn't that called redundancy in the corporate world? and isn't redundancy bad? When is the other shoe dropping on this. Like yea! we got bought by CBS but they don't want us to change anything! Really? Why would they do that?

#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@RenMcKormack said:

Can i ask a dumb question. Why does it make sense for CBS to have TWO separate video game websites. Isn't that called redundancy in the corporate world? and isn't redundancy bad? When is the other shoe dropping on this. Like yea! we got bought by CBS but they don't want us to change anything! Really? Why would they do that?

It may not be redundant.  It's hard to know how things will figure.
#28 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

This whole thing totally derailed my entire work day. Thanks for the notes, by the way!

#29 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

So odd. On one side, I love John Davison and his approach to gaming, on the other hands I enjoyed the feeling of being part of a small but incredibly popular family of sites. I hope Tested and Screened don't change too much on their end but most of all I hope GB and Comic Vine stay relatively intact. In John I trust.

#30 Posted by sage2 (26 posts) -

Just imagine the posibilities timetroters part2, set just after a time skip caused by jeff.

#31 Posted by Vinyl (50 posts) -

Everyone seems so stoked, therefore I shall be as well :)

#32 Posted by bambiman (3 posts) -

I just really hope GiantBomb's forums don't merge either.

It sounds like they could, and lets be honest- the members on that forum are bullshit.

#33 Posted by AndrewB (7587 posts) -

Holy shit, guys. They already changed the name of the site?

#34 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Alright, now I'm informed, and it's not as bad as I thought. I'm still curious about the forums and the freedom these guys will now have.

I'll still miss Whiskey Media though.

#35 Posted by StriderNo9 (1087 posts) -

Just finished the video and yeah they seem excited, sad about Tested and Screened but GB and CV are awesome and hopefully in John Davison's hands this will be okay.

#36 Posted by The_Nubster (2097 posts) -

@RenMcKormack said:

It serves different audiences, I think. Different approaches and all that. But I ain't no business man.

#37 Edited by Olymp1c (45 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@RenMcKormack said:

It serves different audiences, I think. Different approaches and all that. But I ain't no business man.

True, doesn't seem like their audiences overlap much, aside from GameFAQs I guess, but that serves a different purpose.

#38 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@I_smell said:

Perfect.

If they sell this shirt, I'm on board.

#39 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

as of right now it seems like I can continue to visit giantbomb and avoid gamespot.... so I'm happy

#40 Posted by AndrewB (7587 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@RenMcKormack said:

It's hard to imagine that Giant Bomb and Gamespot really serve two different audiences considering a lot of us, myself included, followed Jeff over here from Gamespot in the first place. Gamespot was my video game go-to since I started using the internet on a regular basis back in late middle school/early high school.

All I wanted was a group of people I could trust to give me opinions on video games, and since all the characters I had grown attached to over at Gamespot had either previously left or left shortly after Jeff, it made sense to pay attention to Giant Bomb.

But maybe that audience split is different now that (I'd imagine) so many people came and stuck around because of the video content. Gamespot does similar content, as well. Always did. The only thing was that they weren't allowed the luxury of adult content.

#41 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@The_Nubster said:

@RenMcKormack said:

It's hard to imagine that Giant Bomb and Gamespot really serve two different audiences considering a lot of us, myself included, followed Jeff over here from Gamespot in the first place. Gamespot was my video game go-to since I started using the internet on a regular basis back in late middle school/early high school.

All I wanted was a group of people I could trust to give me opinions on video games, and since all the characters I had grown attached to over at Gamespot had either previously left or left shortly after Jeff, it made sense to pay attention to Giant Bomb.

But maybe that audience split is different now that (I'd imagine) so many people came and stuck around because of the video content. Gamespot does similar content, as well. Always did. The only thing was that they weren't allowed the luxury of adult content.

They in general seem like pretty different audiences for me looking at what the gamespot forums have become at this point.

#42 Posted by mister1337 (44 posts) -

@Anthal: I can't wait to find out the real reason why Jeff was fired from Gamespot.

#43 Posted by Tictocbehemoth (62 posts) -

Thanks for putting all the information from the video into FAQ format. I was worried when I first heard the news, but after watching the video, and seeing other information about it I am kind of excited to see where things will go from here. On the other hand, however, I am ind of worried about Screened.

#44 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Error1355 said:

Plus I'm a GameFAQs moderator, so maybe I don't have the extreme negative views on CBS Interactive that everyone else might have.

*flee*

I'm assuming you're a volunteer administrator, and not a paid moderator. Irregardless, Gamefaqs did retain much of its own identity, and I still go there all the time (even though the forums quality had a fairly big dip around the forum merger. Though it's not nearly as bad as everyone says, actually).

#45 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Good news though I really enjoyed what I saw of the Whiskey Media office on how it was set up plus it had a bar. Probably one of the few that will miss seeing that office. Sounds like the Tested team will have quite a wild ride on their site too from that news.

#46 Posted by Three0neFive (2291 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@The_Nubster said:

@RenMcKormack said:

Any way you slice it, more websites is more pageviews is more ad revenue.

#47 Posted by Error1355 (97 posts) -

@clstirens said:

I'm assuming you're a volunteer administrator, and not a paid moderator. Irregardless, Gamefaqs did retain much of its own identity, and I still go there all the time (even though the forums quality had a fairly big dip around the forum merger. Though it's not nearly as bad as everyone says, actually).

I'm a lead moderator there, and it is a volunteer spot. I don't actually deal with any CBS Interactive employees except for SBAllen.

#48 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Error1355: That's interesting, I had always assumed they paid their Lead Moderators, but I have little context for how a lot of business works when it comes to internet forums and the like. Man, I remember applying to be a moderator back in the day, but looking back it would have seemed daunting to me.

#49 Posted by Sparklykiss (1955 posts) -

We've already got a pretty well established thread for this topic here. As well as Jeff's news article. Please move your discussions to either of those areas. Thanks!