• 143 results
#1 Edited by huntad (1931 posts) -

So, I've been playing through Killzone 3 and noticed that, so far, nothing particularly interesting is happening. I liked the opening where you're a helghast, because I thought that was a cool twist, but other than that nothing is really grabbing me. I'm not sure if it's the lack of a good story, character development, or just the actions I'm being asked to do, but it's not pulling me in like Deus Ex Human Revolution did or even Half-Life 1.

Now, I ask you guys: What is your favorite FPS campaign? Or are too many of them predictable or boring? I'm curious to see similarities between beloved singleplayer FPS campaigns.Mine: Probably Bioshock, because of the atmosphere and plot.

EDIT: If you're a dude/dudette/robot carrying a gun and shooting in first-person, then it counts - even if it has heavy RPG mechanics. I'm really not gonna scold anyone for their choices, because I wanna hear your guys' all time favorite FPS campaigns/singleplayer stories. The only thing I really don't wanna discuss is multiplayer.

#2 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -

I still enjoy playing through Half Life 2 but I don't know if I would call it the best.

#3 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I don't really know if it's fair to say Metroid Prime and Half-Life 2. But, they are, so those games.

#4 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

Oh don't worry @Irvandus I just wanna know your guys' favorites. I don't want to start a debate on which one is best, lol.

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

Does Deus Ex count?

If so, that's my choice.

#6 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

System Shock 2.

You play it from the first person and shoot, so it counts.

#7 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

I'm gonna make an edit, lol. But yeah, every game where you shoot a weapon and you're in first person counts. I mean, unless it's something like Descent or games that aren't really classified as first person shooters at all. Deus EX and System shock 2 are both awesome and totally count.

#8 Posted by Elusionar (309 posts) -

I burned out on first person shooter after the 50th ww2 game.

#9 Posted by betusblues (40 posts) -

I thought Halo Reach was great.

#10 Posted by spankingaddict (2660 posts) -

System Shock 2 or Metroid Prime(yes, this counts). These games are as good as they can possible get .

#11 Posted by Getz (2995 posts) -

Left 4 Dead. Playing it for the first time with my friends was magical.

#12 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -

Bioshock. I can't think of a game that affected me more than that one, in a good way.

#13 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Hard to say unless I narrow it down: in terms of just level design, Quake 1. In terms of narrative progression, Half-Life or Metro 2033. In terms of sheer awesomeness, games like Deus Ex or System Shock 2.

#14 Edited by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -
#15 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1375 posts) -

My favorites:

Bioshock

Half Life 2

I guess portal may count :"If you're a dude/dudette/robot carrying a gun and shooting in first-person, then it counts",

I also had alot of fun with Timesplitters: Furture Perfect's campaign

#16 Posted by evilrazer (480 posts) -

Half Life Episode 2 and Condemned. Don't really know whether Condemned is a shooter or just a horror, but I enjoyed it.

#17 Posted by Shrat (49 posts) -

Half Life 2-Atmosphere, story, open levels were great

Bioshock-Loved the atmosphere, though the gunplay itself wasn't the best

Deus Ex-rpg/fps hybrid, loved the multiple paths

Reistance Series-Love the feel of the weapons. Enjoy the setting.

Left 4 Dead Series-Every game is different. Killing zombies never gets old

Borderlands-Good co-op, I enjoy leveling up, and loot!

These are just a few of my favorites.

#18 Posted by Knite (144 posts) -

Half Life 1,2 hands down.

#19 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

Portal doesn't count right?

Breakdown

Half Life 2 and its episodes

Bioshock

Borderlands

Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

You know what? That CoD4 single player was fantastic the first time through.

#20 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Halo, Half-Life 2, Bioshock, Crysis.

#21 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

Halo Saga. I love the nature of the story and the way they go with it. Part Bible and Science fiction? Count me in!

#22 Posted by PhilipDuck (541 posts) -

Bioshock

#23 Posted by Rheinmetall (153 posts) -

BioShock only.

#24 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Bioshock, probably.

#25 Posted by mastrbiggy (229 posts) -

Halo CE without a doubt. Nothing else quite like Halo CE co-op.

#26 Posted by Carncarn (32 posts) -

Bioshock.

Also, Fallout 3/ New Vegas would count right? Those had a fully satisfying experience top to bottom.

#27 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I love all the Halo campaign's, the way nothing is really scripted but no matter what, crazy shit always happens due to the players actions and the way each battle is set in a large open area. This is especially true when vehicles are involved, Halo 3 was my favorite.

#28 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Bioshock 2

The Darkness

#29 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

Has to be Bioshock, the Metroid Prime series. I'll also throw in Geist.

#30 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

My memory isn't good enough to recall everything I felt, but the first Bioshock was a great experience, the world was amazing, I loved going around looting everything and the upgrading system was a ton of fun. 

#31 Posted by Aishan (1014 posts) -

I would say Call of Duty 4 ranks up there. It's obviously a bit cliché now - that's mainly due to all the imitators and its sucessors, butwhen it came out it was definitely up there. It has some great set-pieces, starting from the very beginning with the infiltration and subsequent escape from the ship. It had a nice touch of hubris for all the "Oorah! America Fuck Yeah!" attitude with the nuke sequence and that ending, even if it was later retconned in MW2, was incredible.

#32 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

The co-op in the original Halo trilogy holds a special place for me.

#33 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Of recent years? Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I guess it kind of counts.

#34 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I guess L4D/2. The first time you play those campaigns and have no idea what's coming next is magical.

#35 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

One of the Halo's.

#36 Posted by RadioactiveGazz (98 posts) -

I was really looking forward to this game after Killzone 2. A shallow but epic FPS game that played well and looked amazing. Killzone 3 was awesome co-op, but single player was dull. In the end, this year's visually appealing FPS for me was Crysis 2. It played better, was well paced, had more depth and looked amazing.

#37 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4964 posts) -

Half-Life (all of them). And in HL3 or in Episode 3, I want to see a silent Gordon Freeman, but this time he communicates with sign language. You're welcome Gabe.

#38 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Half-Life 1 and 2, no doubt.

#39 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

Deus Ex: HR is the best time I've had in a long time.

Last time the most memorable time I had was with Call of Duty 2, the campaign on the hardest difficulty was so much fun.

#40 Edited by SpacePenguin (476 posts) -

I really loved Mirrors Edge but that seems like like a weird chioce since I played through it with out shooting anybody.

So I guess the first Half-Life, I know its not the best but its probably my favourite.

#41 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

Honestly, I can't say. They've all kind of blurred together for me. Even the good ones are hazy in my mind. Probably System Shock 2 is up there along with Half Life 1, but that might be nostalgia more than current-day fun.

#42 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Metroid Prime or Timesplitters series.

#43 Posted by bybeach (4772 posts) -

I'll go with half life 1 in that it made a first vivid impression on me when I was pretty early gaming. It had a whole atmosphere that for the first time made me involved well beyond just the sci-fi say, and shooting mechanics. So did Unreal...strange game. I can't remember if that one was first or third.

#44 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

Metro 2033. I'm just going by regular shooters, not RPG/FPS, but metro had pretty much everything and was so good at most of it that it's hard to deny it's greatness.

#45 Posted by Clonedzero (4198 posts) -

deus ex: HR.

bioshock.

and oddly enough i really liked the campaign from halo reach, i hated halo 3's campaign, but i really enjoyed reaches.

#46 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Thief Deadly Shadows. Not only the best FPS campaign, but the Cradle is the highest rated horror experience EVER in a video game by countless reviews and awards.

#47 Posted by Witzig (327 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R game.

#48 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I loved the story for The Darkness and Times Splitter Future Perfect, so Ill go with those 2.

#49 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I get good vibes from Human Revolution so far but the intro kind of made me wish you stayed in first person for everything like in Half Life 2. And considering how often I'm wishing shit was more like Half Life 2, except for the shitty vehicle stuff, I'm gonna say Half Life 2.

#50 Posted by Trebz (487 posts) -

My favorite would have to be Half-Life 2 and its episodes. Yeah, it's the cliched choice, but it's so densely-packed with great moments and so well-paced that it never stops being a blast.