• 142 results
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By meteora

Call of Duty 4 had an amazing single player that was very well crafted for a shooter game. There were so many amazing set pieces for that game that makes you soak right in.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Akrid
@Meteora said:

Call of Duty 4 had an amazing single player that was very well crafted for a shooter game. There were so many amazing set pieces for that game that makes you soak right in.

Came in here to say exactly this!
Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Raven10

I have to go with the flow and say Bioshock and Half Life 2.

Tiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Tiago

Halo Reach, Metroid Prime if that counts, ODST was surprisingly good I liked it a lot, Crysis.

Point_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Point_Man
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By Hashbrowns

As far as replayability and fundamental combat feel goes, Halo CE is my favorite. The flexibility in how you approach any given combat situation or the variation in how fights can develop are arguably unmatched by any other franchise.

Now when it comes to first-playthrough thrills and impact, CoD4 is an obvious choice. Sure, the Half-life games were doing scripted events ages ago, but Infinity Ward really set the new standard for edge-of-your-seat surprises and thrilling set pieces. One of the reasons I think we have yet to see another Half-life game is that Valve is still working out how to somehow recapture the crown of first-person rollercoaster rides. I might not play through the campaign more than a few times, and I soon start to feel the gameplay and A.I. limitations and can't help but see the smoke and mirrors behind the action, but that first run through a Modern Warfare game has always extremely entertaining. No one does set-pieces like Infinity Ward. Nobody.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Capum15

Halo: Combat Evolved. Second would include Halo 2 / 3 / Reach, and Half Life 2. Third would be Fallout 3 / New Vegas. A good mention to Modern Warfare 1 and 2, along with Battlefield games. Looking forward to both BF3 and MW3.

Combat Evolved was just great and I still play the PC version quite a bit. I re-visited all of them before Reach came out. They improved, no doubt, but there's just something about the original that I'll always love more.

Except the Library. Fuck the Library.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By huntad

@Capum15: I think I'm actually one of the few that really enjoyed the library, lol. I liked the tension and difficulty fighting those bastards.

@ervonymous I wasn't joking when I said I was gonna get my hands on it, cause I just got back from Gamestop, lol. Unfortunately, all they had was Time Splitters 1 and 2. They said they had Future Perfect, but it was mislabeled and turned out to be just Time Splitters 1. Well, I picked up the second one, so hopefully it's still enjoyable.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#109  Edited By Vonocourt
  • Half-Life 2
  • Halo: CE(As copy-pasted the later levels are, still spent so much time playing it on co-op)
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SlightConfuse

portal and Halo reach come to mind

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By laserbolts

Borderlands

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Capum15
@huntad: I actually loved the Library. It had great atmosphere and really made you feel like you were just trying to survive. The first time, though. It loses it's "trying to survive" a little bit when you get used to it, but the atmosphere is still pretty good.

But the sheer amount of flood that never stopped attacking is a tad on the exhausting side, and subsequent runs made me grow a, maybe not a "hate", but a dislike for it. Which is why I love Custom Edition with that A-## single player modded map thing, because it includes a few Scorpions to brighten up the day. With some high explosives.

I do like 343 Guilty Spark though, that level has a great setup and execution. Small amount of covenant, then dead covenant for no reason, then nothing, and then "oh god zombie things." And then "oh god zombie things with shotguns." Library takes that up to 11 though, with "oh god way more zombie things with fucking rocket launchers."

"Cortana" still holds the "Fuck this level" award for Halo though. Even though I did like, 50 full co-op campaign runs online, that level was still insanely harrowing on Legendary. Mostly due to those ranged flood, I think, in that one tall room.
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By huntad

@Capum15 said:

@huntad: "Cortana" still holds the "Fuck this level" award for Halo though. Even though I did like, 50 full co-op campaign runs online, that level was still insanely harrowing on Legendary. Mostly due to those ranged flood, I think, in that one tall room.

YES. That level is some fucked up shit on so many levels. Horrible!

marathonturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By marathonturtle

Half-life 2 and it's episodes

Metro 2033 was amazin

Deus Ex HR, not really a fps but whatever

Fallout 3 and new vegas, again not really a fps but it fits

and Cod 4 SP was fun

oh and bioshock

nickb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By nickb64

In the past I didn't play a lot of games with campaigns, but I've recently played a few (BC2, MOH (the 2010 one), MOH: Airborne, Crysis, and started Metro 2033).

Of those, my favorite was probably BC2 because it wasn't too serious and I cared enough to bother finishing it, unlike Crysis and Metro. I haven't gone back and finished Airborne's campaign because I feel like playing newer games more, and don't feel like going back and playing it again that much (I played it on my old computer and got to the last level, but that machine died, and I don't have a save). I really had fun with the recent MOH game's campaign, since I already knew the points that would be kind of dumb (invincible guy lighting the fire and such), so I wasn't totally let down by it. Portal's cool too, if a little short.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By CounterShock

Bioshock and Half Life

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#117  Edited By Hector

Halo: CE, man I have played the campaign countless of times.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By devitiffany

Doom

Duke Nukem 3D

Painkiller

Far Cry

Far Cry 2

TomboSlice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By TomboSlice

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The atmosphere sucked me right in from the beginning.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By SomeJerk

Quake 1.

Fire up that baby in co-op, hardest difficulty, bring a friend, hours of amazing fun. Still hasn't been anything like it in the 15 years the game has been out. Still has unique enemies and a great weapon selection, and map design that's anything but basic, even with its age. If you told me Id patented the kind of map design they did with Quake 1 I would believe you.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#121  Edited By cstrang

@Doctorchimp said:

Bioshock

You know what? That CoD4 single player was fantastic the first time through.

Exactly this. Call of Duty 4's single-player was pretty epic.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Half-Life 2, then Halo, then Crysis.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By ShaneDev

I'll say Half Life 2 that's probably my favorite. That followed by Call of Duty 4 or the Halo games.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By BionicRadd

All this talk of the Halo CE campaign is making me want to buy the 360 version when it comes out. Bastards.

ilovebees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ilovebees

Bioshock

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By napalm

There's many of them. I loved F.E.A.R.2's campaign. Absolutely awesome in every way. A classic I enjoy is Duke Nukem 3D, which still feels great and plays amazingly. Condemned 2: Criminal Origins is fucked up and scary in the way I wanted it to be, (and even took it a bit farther). Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, simply because all of the story beats matched with the pacing led up to a really fantastic story and an even better ending. Bulletstorm, Serious Sam II, Doom 3 and Left 4 Dead are a few other awesome campaigns.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By RandomHero666

Once I think of a good one another even better one pops into my head.. so I'll name a few.
 Bioshocks 1 & 2
Borderlands
Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
If Portal 2 counts.. then that

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Timesplitters FP, i had have bad taste... (more a question of what came first)

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Doctorchimp

@BionicRadd said:

All this talk of the Halo CE campaign is making me want to buy the 360 version when it comes out. Bastards.

If you've never played Halo CE keep in mind the people who talk fondly of it were probably around 10 when it came out and it was the first epic FPS they played.

So take that with a grain of salt.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By huntad

@Doctorchimp: Sure, but it was also just a great game all around. It got pretty wide acclaim and praise by people of all ages, so there's obviously some truth to what people are saying on here as well.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#131  Edited By gingertastic_10

BioShock.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By BionicRadd

@Doctorchimp said:

@BionicRadd said:

If you've never played Halo CE keep in mind the people who talk fondly of it were probably around 10 when it came out and it was the first epic FPS they played.

Yea, I played Halo when it came out and, honestly, thought it was a decent shooter, at best, but I only made it about halfway through the campaign, I think. Age may in fact have a lot to do with it. I grew up on FPS games and, honestly, Quake was the last FPS game I played that truly blew my mind. Since then, it's all been iterations on that same formula to me.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Doctorchimp

@BionicRadd said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@BionicRadd said:

Yea, I played Halo when it came out and, honestly, thought it was a decent shooter, at best, but I only made it about halfway through the campaign, I think. Age may in fact have a lot to do with it. I grew up on FPS games and, honestly, Quake was the last FPS game I played that truly blew my mind. Since then, it's all been iterations on that same formula to me.

Yeah see?

I was also around 10 when it came out, but my brother had a work computer that could play games so I was into Quake 3, Counter-Strike, and Deus Ex. I played Halo and kind of shrugged my shoulders through it.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By shootermcclay

Resistance: Fall of Man or Half-Life 2.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Crysis, CoD 4: MW and Half-life 2.

GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#136  Edited By GrandMarshal

Fear

Bioshock

Half Life 2

Halo/Halo 2

Doom

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By jozzy

You guys are doing a good job of convincing me i need to play Bioshock.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By huntad

Anyone else think Black was pretty fun? While the story was kinda 'by the numbers', the gameplay was really over-the-top crazy. Shit seemed to be poppin' off all over and I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

MrFwankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By MrFwankie

Star Wars: Dark Forces was pretty great. As for more recent games, I'd have to say Bioshock, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, COD4 (wow, 2007 was a hell of a year), Halo: Reach, and Portal 2.

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By g6065

COD 3.

Please don't laugh.

At time of release I was studying the relevant period at university, so I guess I obtained a greater sense of immersion than most.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#141  Edited By Commisar123

Well after skipping the more celebrated ones I gotta give props to Treyarch for fucking with your mind so much in Black Ops

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By DonPixel

Halo Reach I guess, Killzone 2 coming second thanks to stupid Rico.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#143  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Halo 1, easily.

Other ones I really liked were COD4, Red Faction (though it doesn't hold up at all), Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, The Darkness, Fallout 3 (if that counts?), Metroid Prime (Maybe it qualifies?).