Favorite game-related music this year?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Edited By recroulette

Game-related music. Called it that for a reason. I mean, you have music from games that have come out this year. That is simple enough. But it cannot be that simple. There were a lot of music in games that wasn't necessarily made for that game. Example's being some of Celldweller's stuff in Dead Rising 2. Is it right to disqualify a song that made a moment in a game great because the song wasn't originally made for that game? I don't think so.

Then you have to get to remade versions of classic songs, examples being Dancing Mad from the Distant Worlds 2 CD. One of my favorite songs this year because as far as I know, that is the first real redone version of that song. (Compared to One Winged Angel's 423 revisions). Also, fan songs have their special place too. Just because it was not produced by a top composer or a famous musician, that doesn't mean it is worthless. Some people can take old game music and turn it into something awesome, something that brings back fond memories.

Anyway, disclaimer aside. What is your favorite game-related music that came out this year. I currently have a list of about 20 songs that I will whittle down to a top ten. But you know, it just wouldn't be fun without seeing what the community thinks as well. Is Far Away going to be the most popular song? Or is the retro-styled Scott Pilgrim sountrack one that won hearts all over?

So Giant Bomb community, I ask you, what were your favorite game-related songs this year?

(Warning: There will probably be spoilers)

My contribution to this topic. Koi no Yoshiroyoku (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)

The first sight of this song was a bizarre as hell video that looked like something straight out of an anime opening.
A J-pop song that fits well with Hideo Kojima's method of putting random songs in his games (Snake Eater).

The song wasn't really something that wowed at first. J-pop isn't my thing, sad to say.
But once you beat the game, beat 90% of the optional missions, and played hide-and-seek a number of times. You FINALLY get to the "True" ending of the game.
The theme song for the ultimate final battle in Peace Walker? This goddamn J-pop song. 

Now I mean, I guess it makes sense. It is the theme of Paz (aka Pacifica Ocean, goddamn your names Kojima) so of course when you fight her it would be playing her song. SURPRISE! An MGS game where someone you thought was your friend wasn't your friend, and they have been plotting the whole thing the whole time! How about that. But whether it is due to this being the final battle, or maybe the connection you thought you had with Paz before she stabbed you in the back, this song made this boss battle amazing, and probably one of the best of the year.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By recroulette

Game-related music. Called it that for a reason. I mean, you have music from games that have come out this year. That is simple enough. But it cannot be that simple. There were a lot of music in games that wasn't necessarily made for that game. Example's being some of Celldweller's stuff in Dead Rising 2. Is it right to disqualify a song that made a moment in a game great because the song wasn't originally made for that game? I don't think so.

Then you have to get to remade versions of classic songs, examples being Dancing Mad from the Distant Worlds 2 CD. One of my favorite songs this year because as far as I know, that is the first real redone version of that song. (Compared to One Winged Angel's 423 revisions). Also, fan songs have their special place too. Just because it was not produced by a top composer or a famous musician, that doesn't mean it is worthless. Some people can take old game music and turn it into something awesome, something that brings back fond memories.

Anyway, disclaimer aside. What is your favorite game-related music that came out this year. I currently have a list of about 20 songs that I will whittle down to a top ten. But you know, it just wouldn't be fun without seeing what the community thinks as well. Is Far Away going to be the most popular song? Or is the retro-styled Scott Pilgrim sountrack one that won hearts all over?

So Giant Bomb community, I ask you, what were your favorite game-related songs this year?

(Warning: There will probably be spoilers)

My contribution to this topic. Koi no Yoshiroyoku (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker)

The first sight of this song was a bizarre as hell video that looked like something straight out of an anime opening.
A J-pop song that fits well with Hideo Kojima's method of putting random songs in his games (Snake Eater).

The song wasn't really something that wowed at first. J-pop isn't my thing, sad to say.
But once you beat the game, beat 90% of the optional missions, and played hide-and-seek a number of times. You FINALLY get to the "True" ending of the game.
The theme song for the ultimate final battle in Peace Walker? This goddamn J-pop song. 

Now I mean, I guess it makes sense. It is the theme of Paz (aka Pacifica Ocean, goddamn your names Kojima) so of course when you fight her it would be playing her song. SURPRISE! An MGS game where someone you thought was your friend wasn't your friend, and they have been plotting the whole thing the whole time! How about that. But whether it is due to this being the final battle, or maybe the connection you thought you had with Paz before she stabbed you in the back, this song made this boss battle amazing, and probably one of the best of the year.
BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BionicMonster

Easily the Super Meat Boy soundtrack.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

The entire Deadly Premonition soundtrack is brilliant. I especially like Greenvale (with vocals). 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

Honestly, I know this is the opposite of what you're asking for, but for me the best stuff this year has been the stuff licensed for games either diegetically or otherwise. In Alan Wake, the songs by Old Gods of Asgard, AKA Poets of the Fall, are amazing, the three songs featured in Red Dead Redemption are perfect in their execution and the music in Mass Effect's nightclubs is spot on futuristic cheese. Admittedly, I haven't played much more than that but those really stand out to me.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CptChiken
@BionicMonster said:
" Easily the Super Meat Boy soundtrack. "
This. 

@Abyssfull said:
" The entire Deadly Premonition soundtrack is brilliant. I especially like Greenvale (with vocals). 

"
And this.
TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By TobyD81

Super Meat Boy is pretty amazing, but I can't forget Anamanaguchi's Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, either. Stick Another Winter in your earhole and just dig it.

Badhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Badhands

Super meat boy and the Mass Effect 2 and Scott Pilgrim sound tracks are all pretty good.

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DrBeardface
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GunstarRed

Soundtrack wise  Castlevania is gorgeous and  you can talk as much shit as you want about Bioshock 2's existence but  it has one of the finest scores in any game I have ever played. Songwise though  Compass in Red Dead  fits in perfectly and some of the choices for  songs in Alan Wake are really cool. 

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Funzzo

Super Meatboy.
razielrioux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By razielrioux

TRINE! Nuff said

VirtualAthlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VirtualAthlete
@Abyssfull said:
" The entire Deadly Premonition soundtrack is brilliant. I especially like Greenvale (with vocals)  
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Nier has

my soundtrack of the year.here's some examples.   

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By recroulette
@HandsomeDead said:
" Honestly, I know this is the opposite of what you're asking for, but for me the best stuff this year has been the stuff licensed for games either diegetically or otherwise. In Alan Wake, the songs by Old Gods of Asgard, AKA Poets of the Fall, are amazing, the three songs featured in Red Dead Redemption are perfect in their execution and the music in Mass Effect's nightclubs is spot on futuristic cheese. Admittedly, I haven't played much more than that but those really stand out to me. "
Actually that works quite well. I loved Compass in RDR and Best It's Gonna Get from Case Zero is one of my favorite songs this year.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Super Meat Boy has to be my favorite. I'd get pissed off but the music was so good I'd forget about it. 

My favorite song:    

It's from the Hell part of the game.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@BionicMonster said:
" Easily the Super Meat Boy soundtrack. "
This and VVVVVV's soundtrack
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Skald

My favourite video game music this year has to be the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game soundtrack. Anamanaguchi did some great stuff on all of the tracks, a standout example being "Another Winter": 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Skald

My second favourite track is from Persona 3 Portable. Technically, this came out in late 2009, but it wasn't available here until mid-2010, so I consider it to be applicable. 

Wiping All Out (Female Protagonist's Battle Theme):

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@extremeradical said:
" My favourite video game music this year has to be the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game soundtrack. Anamanaguchi did some great stuff on all of the tracks, a standout example being "Another Winter": 

"

This. And also these: 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By recroulette

Damn, I picked up Super Meat Boy today because of all the love for the music, and you people are spot on. It's pretty awesome.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

What? Why are you looking at me like that?