Favorite Linear/Cinematic Current Gen Action Game?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Examples: Uncharted, Gears of War, Max Payne

The simple pleasures of a straight forward linear cinematic action game is sometimes just what the doctor ordered. I've not played too many of them myself, because I usually prefer grander more open games with more player agency when it comes to singleplayer experiences.

Which current gen action game, in which you go down a linear and singular path of progession, from action gameplay to cinematic cutscene, from setpiece to setpiece, is your favorite amongst the bunch? It doesn't necessarily have to be a 3rd person shooter, but somehow those seem to fit the bill of *linear cinematic* the best.

My pick is somewhere between Warhammer 40k : Space Marine and Max Payne 3.

I've spent the last week playing through Max Payne 3 multiple times, and it's been a treat. Infinitely quotable writing and the most satisfying 3rd person shooting I've played in forever, it's nothing short of a classic. Writing this down though, I think I'll still give it to Relic's Warhammer 40k : Space Marine - because what's better than being a drunk angry rent-a-clown with a gun down on his luck in Sao Paulo? Correct. Being a Space Marine locked in a state of perpetual all-out war. I think I'll be re-playing that tomorrow!

Total Biscuit's reaction to the game's awesomeness in his WTF Is... video is... apt. In case you don't know about it yet.

FromanCamper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

For me it has to be Asura's Wrath,

The story hooked me from the get go and the extreme setpieces along with the fantastic soundtrack kept me interested until the end. Although a significant lack of gameplay and a high price point (including the essential DLC) make it a tough game to take a chance with, I feel it is one of the best of the generation.

Approach with caution though as you will either love it or hate it, just try to find out which before put any money towards it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It's still Uncharted 2 for me.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i gotta say max payne 3 and gears 3 for me personally.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooof, that's a hard choice for me. I absolutely love Max Payne 3, but Kane and Lynch 1/2 has always had a soft spot inside my brain. I'll have to think about this.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@jasonr86 said:

It's still Uncharted 2 for me.

QFT