#1 Edited by plainplease (187 posts) -

What is your favorite video game moment?

By moment, I really mean moment...like something that occurred within a 3 second time span. I have 2. In NHL '94, a game I played the shit out of, I missed a shot over the goal that actually broke the glass behind the goal. this only happened to me once, and I must have watched the replay a dozen times...this was way before the time of recording or posting replays online was possible, so this is a moment that me and my brother still talk about. The other moment for me was when Kratos pushes his thumbs into Helios' eyes in God of War 3 and the QTE required me to push both dual analogs in at the same time as if I was actually pushing in his eyes. This was so visceral, gruesome and oddly satisfying.

So, what is your favorite/most memorable moment from a game?

#2 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Does it have to be something that happened to me specifically? if not:

#3 Posted by plainplease (187 posts) -

no rules here, and this is an awesome moment. i'd even like to hear about anyone's videogame-related moments...something like the time you broke your flatscreen with your wiimote, or you broke your neighbor's nose with your genesis controller or something...whatever really strikes you as your favorite moment.

#4 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Late 90s. Friend's basement. Worms tournament of the century.

What was on the line? Pride. And $160 cash.

We had been planning this thing for months, eight of us, all self-proclaimed Worms gods, each desperate to prove his mettle and cement his status as Chicago's King of Worms. We were around 14 or 15, and devised a whole tournament bracket, double-elimination style. Each guy put in twenty bucks, and the winner took home the pot, but all I really cared about was proving I was the best. We all gathered together one Friday night, there were nachos, there was dip, I'd bought about fifty cans of soda. We had the Back to the Future trilogy playing in the background. Dude, I'm telling you, however nerdy it sounds, this was one of the best nights of my life. You know how you have those nights you wish you could just go back and live over and over? This will always be one of mine.

The bracket was totally randomised, and each round was a best of 3. You would not believe the level of Worms play that was on show that night. I think we turned off a bunch of the more ridiculous weapons to even the odds, and most guys stuck to Bazooka and Nades anyway. But there were some solid humiliation kills. Fire punches into the water, point-blank shotgun kills, one guy even pulled off this insane Kamikaze to win a round, there was outrage, uproar, and laughter like you can't imagine.

I won my first round, but then got knocked into the loser's bracket after a 2-1 loss in the Winner's semis. The guy who beat me went on to win the WB finals and guarantee himself top two. The guy was also a huge ass. And that must've been what inspired me because I managed to storm through the loser's bracket without dropping a game. Won the LB finals and finally got my rematch. The rules stipulated that since he had already beat me 2-1 earlier, we would continue with that score and play a best of 7. So I needed to win 3 rounds, he only needed 2. I won the first in pretty dominating fashion, I'd been steamrolling people in the LB and was really fired up at this point, there was ridiculous trash talk, Back to the Future 2 had just ended, and I was at the peak of my Worms career.

The score was now 2-2, a level-playing field, then I won the next round. I felt invincible, my grenades were angled perfectly, my bazooka perfectly adjusted for the wind, that $160 cash and supreme title were almost mine. Everyone around was fired-up, cheering me on and trash-talking this other guy. Then... he looked over at me. I was laughing and taunting him, but he said nothing. He smiled, and put a finger to his lips. For whatever reason, that TOTALLY got in my head. I started thinking maybe he'd just been playing me the whole time and I wasn't good enough to win. It showed in the next round, I got destroyed, even killed one of my own worms at one point.

I was dejected, despondent, I'd been doing so well but all my confidence had been shattered in that round. And now here we were, with one round to play. One chance to save my pride, and earn $160 cash. The round began. He took first blood, I was still reeling from the previous round, I was doing more damage to the world than the worms. He took second blood, I only had two worms remaining, they were in pretty good positions but it still looked pretty grim. I managed to take out one of his worms with a nicely-placed cluster nade. But then he just kept rolling and suddenly I only had one worm, with 88 life, against his three.

That's when I got mad.

A voice in my head cried out "Yo fuck this guy man!!! I AM THE BOMB AT WORMS LET'S GO!!! LET'S FUCKING GO!!!" And go I did. My confidence was magically restored, my shots were all on-target, within a few rounds, I'd taken out two of his worms and built a decent barrier around mine, he could do nothing but stare blankly at the screen. Then the final battle. Worm on worm. Man on man. His had full life, mine had been reduced to exactly 51. Anyone who knows anything about Worms should know that 51 life is just enough to survive one solid Bazooka blast or grenade explosion. I had one jet-pack. One chance. His worm seemed pretty safe, it was high up, but there was enough scenery around it to keep it safe from falls. Or so we thought.

My favorite gaming moment has now arrived. Silence filled the room. With the most care and precision I could muster, I flew my one remaining worm over to him. A plan had formed in my mind. A plan so outrageous I could scarcely believe I was attempting it, and those around me hadn't even figured out what I was going to do. It all came down to this. His worm was positioned on a curved surface, so any attempt to throw grenades would have failed, they'd have rolled right off the side. I knew what I had to do. I flew over. Landed right next to him. Equipped my grenade, set the timer to 1 second, heard the roars of excitement and disbelief from those around me, saw the expression horror and surprise etched across my opponents face. And dropped that nade right at our feet. For one incredible second, the room was perfectly silent. Then BOOM. The explosion heard around the world. There was mass confusion, shouting all around me, all we could do was watch the fate of the worms unfold. My heart was racing, my body frozen in place, my eyes locked to the screen. Both worms flew up in the air, mine heading to the right, his to the left. The water was on the left. An unbelievable roar begin to build as we watched the worms fall. His landed right on the edge, millimetres from doom, it was skidding slowly towards the edge. I thought the friction might be too much, it might just survive. But then... "YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The cheer erupted like a thousand warriors bellowing their battle cry. His worm plummeted to the depths. But I wasn't smiling yet, I couldn't be sure it was all over. The camera returned to my worm, who had landed safely but might have taken some extra damage on the way.

From the top of the worm's head flew the number '50'. That's when I started to smile. In fact I started to scream. Neighbors even shouted at us to keep it down. I was the happiest I have ever been. It was the greatest victory of my young life and I couldn't believe I'd pulled it off. Neither could anyone else. We were shouting and screaming like crazy. Even my opponent got up and embraced me, uttering the words I'll never forget "Dude... that was fuckin' rad."

That's my favorite gaming moment. Never had another quite like it.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

The two times I made Brad and one time I made Norm type "GG"

#6 Posted by Morka (161 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach: Damn! You had me on the edge of my seat, all the way through you story! Well done, sir. Well done!

#7 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

I know a million people have glorified this game and only look at it with nostalgic fogged glasses, but playing GoldenEye split-screen with my friends in the summer of 1998...That was pretty awesome.

#8 Edited by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

We had been planning this thing for months, eight of us, all self-proclaimed Worms gods, each desperate to prove his mettle and cement his status as Chicago's King of Worms. We were around 14 or 15, and devised a whole tournament bracket, double-elimination style. Each guy put in twenty bucks, and the winner took home the pot, but all I really cared about was proving I was the best. We all gathered together one Friday night, there were nachos, there was dip, I'd bought about fifty cans of soda. We had the Back to the Future trilogy playing in the background. Dude, I'm telling you, however nerdy it sounds, this was one of the best nights of my life. You know how you have those nights you wish you could just go back and live over and over? This will always be one of mine.

The bracket was totally randomised, and each round was a best of 3. You would not believe the level of Worms play that was on show that night. I think we turned off a bunch of the more ridiculous weapons to even the odds, and most guys stuck to Bazooka and Nades anyway. But there were some solid humiliation kills. Fire punches into the water, point-blank shotgun kills, one guy even pulled off this insane Kamikaze to win a round, there was outrage, uproar, and laughter like you can't imagine.

I won my first round, but then got knocked into the loser's bracket after a 2-1 loss in the Winner's semis. The guy who beat me went on to win the WB finals and guarantee himself top two. The guy was also a huge ass. And that must've been what inspired me because I managed to storm through the loser's bracket without dropping a game. Won the LB finals and finally got my rematch. The rules stipulated that since he had already beat me 2-1 earlier, we would continue with that score and play a best of 7. So I needed to win 3 rounds, he only needed 2. I won the first in pretty dominating fashion, I'd been steamrolling people in the LB and was really fired up at this point, there was ridiculous trash talk, Back to the Future 2 had just ended, and I was at the peak of my Worms career.

The score was now 2-2, a level-playing field, then I won the next round. I felt invincible, my grenades were angled perfectly, my bazooka perfectly adjusted for the wind, that $160 cash and supreme title were almost mine. Everyone around was fired-up, cheering me on and trash-talking this other guy. Then... he looked over at me. I was laughing and taunting him, but he said nothing. He smiled, and put a finger to his lips. For whatever reason, that TOTALLY got in my head. I started thinking maybe he'd just been playing me the whole time and I wasn't good enough to win. It showed in the next round, I got destroyed, even killed one of my own worms at one point.

I was dejected, despondent, I'd been doing so well but all my confidence had been shattered in that round. And now here we were, with one round to play. One chance to save my pride, and earn $160 cash. The round began. He took first blood, I was still reeling from the previous round, I was doing more damage to the world than the worms. He took second blood, I only had two worms remaining, they were in pretty good positions but it still looked pretty grim. I managed to take out one of his worms with a nicely-placed cluster nade. But then he just kept rolling and suddenly I only had one worm, with 88 life, against his three.

That's when I got mad.

A voice in my head cried out "Yo fuck this guy man!!! I AM THE BOMB AT WORMS LET'S GO!!! LET'S FUCKING GO!!!" And go I did. My confidence was magically restored, my shots were all on-target, within a few rounds, I'd taken out two of his worms and built a decent barrier around mine, he could do nothing but stare blankly at the screen. Then the final battle. Worm on worm. Man on man. His had full life, mine had been reduced to exactly 51. Anyone who knows anything about Worms should know that 51 life is just enough to survive one solid Bazooka blast or grenade explosion. I had one jet-pack. One chance. His worm seemed pretty safe, it was high up, but there was enough scenery around it to keep it safe from falls. Or so we thought.

My favorite gaming moment has now arrived. Silence filled the room. With the most care and precision I could muster, I flew my one remaining worm over to him. A plan had formed in my mind. A plan so outrageous I could scarcely believe I was attempting it, and those around me hadn't even figured out what I was going to do. It all came down to this. His worm was positioned on a curved surface, so any attempt to throw grenades would have failed, they'd have rolled right off the side. I knew what I had to do. I flew over. Landed right next to him. Equipped my grenade, set the timer to 1 second, heard the roars of excitement and disbelief from those around me, saw the expression horror and surprise etched across my opponents face. And dropped that nade right at our feet. For one incredible second, the room was perfectly silent. Then BOOM. The explosion heard around the world. There was mass confusion, shouting all around me, all we could do was watch the fate of the worms unfold. My heart was racing, my body frozen in place, my eyes locked to the screen. Both worms flew up in the air, mine heading to the right, his to the left. The water was on the left. An unbelievable roar begin to build as we watched the worms fall. His landed right on the edge, millimetres from doom, it was skidding slowly towards the edge. I thought the friction might be too much, it might just survive. But then... "YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" The cheer erupted like a thousand warriors bellowing their battle cry. His worm plummeted to the depths. But I wasn't smiling yet, I couldn't be sure it was all over. The camera returned to my worm, who had landed safely but might have taken some extra damage on the way.

From the top of the worm's head flew the number '50'. That's when I started to smile. In fact I started to scream. Neighbors even shouted at us to keep it down. I was the happiest I have ever been. It was the greatest victory of my young life and I couldn't believe I'd pulled it off. Neither could anyone else. We were shouting and screaming like crazy. Even my opponent got up and embraced me, uttering the words I'll never forget "Dude... that was fuckin' rad."

A fantastic post, good sir, and a gaming experience I am jealous of!

In the meantime, I personally can't pick out a single one. Oh, I've had tons of good times. I've bested tons of smug faces and had my own smug smile wiped off my face with some crazy shit from other players. But out of all the games I've played, I've gotta point to Halo 3 as the one with the most outright fun times. In its heyday, that game was fucking nuts. Hell, the duders that still have it should get together and have a Halo 3 night, I'd love to play that again.

You can point to Reach all you want to, but something about it just isn't the same.

#9 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -

Going on a suicide mission to rescue my imaginary girlfriend in an imaginary place called Venezuela in Grand Theft Auto IV with two of my buddies. Oh my god, that was fucking crazy.

Our first time playing the zombie horde mode in Red Dead Redemption with the same two friends.

The summer of 2009 and playing Call of Duty: World At War Nazi Zombies every fucking day. That was an insanely fun time.

Michelle in Grand Theft Auto revealing that

That's off the top of my head.

#10 Edited by stryker1121 (1394 posts) -

@SSValis said:

I know a million people have glorified this game and only look at it with nostalgic fogged glasses, but playing GoldenEye split-screen with my friends in the summer of 1998...That was pretty awesome.

I'll borrow your nostalgia glasses, sir. This is pretty much my answer...beating a level of GoldenEye on OO Agent was always epic for me, too. The Silo and Facility levels took me weeks to get through, for example.

Otherwise, playing NES back in the day w/ friends will always have a happy place in my memory. Contra, Mega Man 2, Metal Gear, Mario Bros 1-3, Nintendo Baseball, Metroid..ahh good times.

Lowest gaming moment was getting beaten by my friend's son in Madden..he was eight at the time.

#11 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Does it have to be something that happened to me specifically? if not:

Holy fuck, I know close to nothing about fighting games, but that was fucking incredible...

#12 Posted by stryker1121 (1394 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach: Very nice bit of story-spinning. I've never played Worms in life and I found your story compelling.

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@believer258: I just wanna say that I am down with community Halo 3. Someone with better organization still then me should start that.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@believer258: I just wanna say that I am down with community Halo 3. Someone with better organization still then me should start that.

Yeah, that's part of the reason that I wouldn't do it myself. I have both other things on my mind and have no clue how to do this. Then, there's the little issue of my internet connection dropping out here and there. I just fear doing everything wrong and scaring anyone involved away.

#15 Posted by Athadam (684 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

That's when I got mad.

Thanks for taking your time writing all that out - I certainly had a blast reading it.

#16 Posted by Sparklykiss (1955 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

A voice in my head cried out "Yo fuck this guy man!!! I AM THE BOMB AT WORMS LET'S GO!!! LET'S FUCKING GO!!!"

This one line had me laughing incredibly hard. Good moment!

@Cloudenvy: HOLY COW that was awesome.

I can't think of any super great moments, lots of silly little fun ones with the girls I used to play CoD4 with. Those were goooood times.

#17 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

There was one year in high school where my friends and I played Gears of War 2 every day after school. It was the only time I've ever done a sort of regular gaming thing like that, and it was pretty glorious. Lots of highs, lots of lows, lots of laughs. There are two specific moments I remember distinctly

-In one map, the frozen canals one, there was only one friend left on our team, and they had a full team of high level members. This guy was our resident sniper, but the sniper had been taken. He was running to find a good position when it spawned, grabbed it, and within about twenty seconds killed four guys, all headshots. Every headshot the chat just fucking exploded with cheers. The round was a tie, but it brought us back from the brink and was really cool.

-The other time was when I was the only survivor on our team and got jumped in a narrow passageway by literally everyone. I just picked up the flamethrower and mopped the floor with them, taking shields, breaking necks. I felt like I was goddamn Nathan Drake, so lucky, and my own team was just screaming at me for winning the match.

My brothers and I played a lot of Halo 3 and Reach online. Personal favourite memory, hands down for that, was when my little brother and I launched ourselves off the giant mancannon located inside one of the bases on Avalanche, while riding a warthog. Into a flying, fully loaded hornet. I think I fell off my chair.

God, there's so many moments. Playing Smash Melee with my brothers and my friends, going up to sing Enter Sandman (and nailing it) on Rock Band at school, playing Final Fight at the arcade with my dad, ramping that last bridge in Mercenaries. I'm getting all nostalgic.

#18 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Snake getting microwaved

#19 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Probably all the guitar hero moments in high school, be it pizza party GH parties in orchestra and late night games, that game is so stale by now, but 4 years ago it was some of the most fun to be had.