Favorite new site feature?

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Now that the site has been up for a little while and people are (hopefully) starting to get familiar with the new Giant Bomb, I was wondering what you think is the best new addition to the site. Personally, I love being able to read comments while watching a video without having to sacrifice the visual element, or opening a separate window.

Feel free to include least favorite thing about the redesign as well, I've heard some complaining, but I can't put my finger on exactly what people don't like (mostly it's just a "this isn't like what I'm used to, so obviously it has to be shit" kind of thing).

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Avatars being represented in a circle in the upper right corner of every page because my avatar fits in it so perfectly and now I'm never allowed to change it because nothing else will fit.

The circle was made for me.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My avatar fits rather perfectly for me as well but i enjoy videos resuming where you left, its just so damn useful

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mrfluke

probably the resuming video stuff (when it works) is my favorite, for me i thought the site went backwards in a few instances functionality wise, and the video player breaks a lot more than the old one for me at least.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Sticky video player and video resume.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I don't have one really. In its current state, to me GB is just like classic GB but worse.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Video resume is nice for when I want to finish watching something on my phone. Everything else seems horribly broken and have taken a few steps back.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By pyromagnestir

I hate to add to the negativity but nothing positive's coming to mind except polls, but only because they are just goofy. And I don't watch live streams live very often so I miss out on them anyway.

I haven't really used any of the other new features, I probably don't even know what most of the new features are, and the ones I still use either work essentially the same or seem a little bit worse in some ways. The mobile site seems particularly clunky compared to the old one. There are extra steps involved now in doing things on the phone, and some of the sites features don't adapt very well to the small size.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sticky icky video.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir: Oh yeah, good point, polls are vastly improved. As is thread making in general since you can even edit the title or move it to another board yourself instead of relying on a mod to do it.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: I, for one, will miss the thread title typos.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaMisterChief

The removal of achievements, now i dont have to care about them not working

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broken chat.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nothing

Well, I guess video resume. Is it just me, though, or does it not work with progressive? Streaming is kinda broken for me still (pauses a ton, have to stop/start it to get it to play again) even though I have 10 down.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@yummylee said:

I don't have one really. In its current state, to me GB is just like classic GB but worse.

Sadly, this =[

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos remembering playback positions.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing

Well, I guess video resume. Is it just me, though, or does it not work with progressive? Streaming is kinda broken for me still (pauses a ton, have to stop/start it to get it to play again) even though I have 10 down.

I may be wrong but progessive loads the video strictly from the start, and you can't jump ahead to unbuffered parts of the video. This makes resume kinda impossible.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The sticky video is cool, but I download videos so I never get a chance to use the feature. Least favourite thing is not having a forums section on the homepage.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By pyromagnestir

Actually, I just remembered that we can watch topics now and add them to a favorite topics board. That's pretty cool. Although going through my favorite topics board it seemed that every topic I replied to since the site launch was automatically watched, which isn't ideal. Or maybe I just click that watch topic button a lot more than I thought I do? But I only remember watching a few very specific topics and I had to go through and unwatch a bunch of ones I'd replied to just now to clean it all out.

edit: It does indeed add ones you reply to automatically, as I am now watching this topic again. I'm not a fan of this because that means I'll either have to manually clean it out on occasion or it will get clogged up with a bunch of topics I don't really care about but replied to unless I stop replying to stuff.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I haven't noticed anything. The text editor for posting comments actually work right most of the time now. That's been nice. Other than that what I've mostly noticed is features that are now gone and the kind of crappy layouts for the forums. Is it supposed to look like a text message stream?

This talk I hear off-camera about a BBS with door games and shit though. Fuck yeah guys. Let me telnet in. Make this happen. All minor complaints forgiven/forgotten. TradeWars 2002.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nothing works so it is hard to say, probably the new List stuff you "can" do but lists are still broken when I last checked

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like that if in the middle of a video I have to stop watching I can come back and start where I left off on. That's really useful. Also I like the sticky video function.

Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I do like the new design for the most part and I personally like the mobile site more than the last one.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

@pyromagnestir: Oh yeah, good point, polls are vastly improved. As is thread making in general since you can even edit the title or move it to another board yourself instead of relying on a mod to do it.

I didn't even know you could do that. When I made a thread with a poll I wanted to edit something into the first post and couldn't find the edit button so I assumed you can't even edit threads with polls anymore.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
@yummylee said:

I didn't even know you could do that. When I made a thread with a poll I wanted to edit something into the first post and couldn't find the edit button so I assumed you can't even edit threads with polls anymore.

Oh, I don't actually know about polls then. But then again you stillcan't even flag polls at that, so there's still some work that could be done on that front.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By penguindust

When you create a poll, you can write something describing the poll in the same post. Back on the Whiskey architecture, the poll was separate from the comments so sometimes, you'd have members commenting on the poll before the creator could get their explanation up.

JYoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JYoung

That new HTML5 video player is the best thing hands down.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A video player that actually works.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By monetarydread

In the forums I can hit "tab" then "space" to post my reply.

It only saves me a second or two, but it is a usability feature that rules.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

being able to resume videos after either having to stop and do something or accidentally closing/hitting the back button on my mouse.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jrinswand

There's a lot that I don't like, but I've got to say that the ability to upload urls of images (instead of saving to desktop and then uploading to the site) is pretty neato.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The resuming video feature.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you create a poll, you can write something describing the poll in the same post. Back on the Whiskey architecture, the poll was separate from the comments so sometimes, you'd have members commenting on the poll before the creator could get their explanation up.

Yes I know, I actually like the way the polls are an integral part of the first post so you don't have to write stuff out, CTRL-C and CTRL-V right after posting the poll. At the same time I couldn't edit the actual post, probably because it's integrated with the poll and you can't edit polls once they're posted? I dunno maybe they've changed it so far - it seems like were still in Beta for the most part where new features keep trickling in each day.

Hopefully we will finally see a Quote or Reply button added to the mobile site as well as some major graphical overhauls so that I don't need to carry a needle with me to click certain icons like Jump to Last page.