• 97 results
#1 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

I really enjoyed GRAW 2 and Oblivion this year, I also loved SKATE 2. So what were your favorite games you played that were not released this year and that you played for the first time?

#2 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Baldur's Gate 2!

#3 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

Uncharted 2!.I would have loved it even more I hadn't watched someone beat it on a live stream.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" Baldur's Gate 2! "
first time playing? when di that come out?
#5 Posted by Ferros (217 posts) -

The Witcher. Picked it up on steam on Sale and it devoured my soul.

#6 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm: It came out in 2000.
#7 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

CONSOLE 
Bioshock. Yeah, that's right, I just go this game a little less than a week ago at this point. It's gorgeous, the combat was fun after I made the switch to Easy (yeah, I don't give a shit, I wasn't having fun when I needed to hit dudes over the head with a wrench 20 times before they went down). I found the story and characters interesting, and again, I can't overstate just how damn phenomenal this game looks. I'm doing a second, half-assed playthrough now to mop up the couple of achievements I didn't get the first time around for whatever reason, barring of course the ones for beating the game on hard, and probably the one for getting all the recorded messages. Runner up goes to Forza 3, which I got the same day as Bioshock and am currently in the middle of trying to (sort of) 100%, at least as far as single player is concerned.

PC 
Baldur's Gate 2. I've had it for years, and never went past the first dungeon that you start the game in, until this year; I just don't like D&D (of course this lead to me asking myself why I bought the damn game in the first place). Earlier this year I decided to sit down and play it for real, and managed to finish it in a single day during two sittings. It took me about 11 hours of playing like a ridiculous asshole (basically, I got bored at a point and decided to just murder EVERYTHING) and I wound up enjoying the game a fair amount because of this "dude whatever" play style and an unbelievable string of luck. I later tried to play through it again to try out the tons of quests I hadn't bothered with, but found that since I knew what happened in the main storyline, I really didn't give a damn about anything else in the game. This really only gets my vote because all the other PC games I've been playing this year have been things I already played the hell out of back in the 90s, like Doom 1 & 2 and Quake 1 & 3.

#8 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" Baldur's Gate 2! "
Oh, wow. What are the chances?
#9 Posted by Seedofpower (3909 posts) -

I got Metro 2033 the other day and I'm really enjoying it.

#10 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -
@SBYM: Sir, I'm disappoint. It seems RPGs aren't your thing... Baldur's Gate 2 is as good as thet get. Fantastic game all around. And I played it for the first time in 2010!!!
#11 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Actually, yeah, Uncharted 2.  I bought that game and a PS3 with my Christmas money from last year.

#12 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

Besides Mass Effect 2, RDR, and Civilization 5, 2010 kind of sucked for video games. I gotta say most of the games I've been enjoying have not come out this year.

#13 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

Beyond Good & Evil also... UBISOFT WHERE'S THE SEQUEL?!

#14 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" @SBYM: Sir, I'm disappoint. It seems RPGs aren't your thing... Baldur's Gate 2 is as good as thet get. Fantastic game all around. And I played it for the first time in 2010!!! "
I like RPGs; I dislike D&D.
#15 Posted by phrosnite (3517 posts) -
@SBYM said:
"I like RPGs; I dislike D&D. "
The combat in D&D RPGs or the whole thing?
#16 Posted by crusader8463 (14306 posts) -
#17 Posted by MEATBALL (2783 posts) -

Fallout 3 GotY Edition, really carried the load during the July/August slump.

#18 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" @SBYM said:
"I like RPGs; I dislike D&D. "
The combat in D&D RPGs or the whole thing? "
The combat. I found the setting, story, and characters to be pretty interesting. I mean, I picked it as my PC game of 2010 in this very thread. That first playthrough, I happened upon some weapon that made most enemies die almost immediately, and that was how I got through the game. The next couple of times I tried to get into it, I chose Mages and made myself learn how they work and kind of enjoyed it. But, all in all, D&D combat just ain't my thing.
#19 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Arkham Asylum

#20 Edited by Euey (109 posts) -

I probably played Borderlands more than just about any other game this year.

#21 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
#22 Posted by Nentisys (881 posts) -

Eve Online. Started this summer, its more addictive than world of warcraft, minecraft and crack cocaine combined.

Also, Nexus the Jupiter Incident is GREAT!

#23 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -
@Kyle said:
" Uplink! "
I also played this for the first time this year; totally forgot about it. I'd add that as an honorable mention.
#24 Posted by Yummylee (20559 posts) -

A tie between Assassins Creed 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2.

#25 Posted by Dimsey (943 posts) -

Burnout Paradise probably. Got it last year for my Birthday but didn't play it much until fairly recently.
It's pretty kickass and I generally don't like racing games where the cars lack mounted machine guns and junk.
But the crashing into stuff is fun and boppin' along to Avril lavignes 'Girlfriend' while doing so is just fan-freakin-tastic. 
Not even being sarcastic on that last part. I wouldn't have picked it for the soundtrack myself but I'm always ecstatic when it pops up... Yeah.

#26 Posted by Rawrz (587 posts) -

Assassin's Creed

#27 Posted by Shirogane (3560 posts) -

Continuum Shift! Oh wait...that did come out this year didn't it, it felt so long ago cause the Aus version kept getting delayed. 
Ya know, i actually havn't played any old games this year, that's kinda funny.
#28 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2712 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins and Persona 3 FES.

#29 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

Dragon Age took up most of my time this year.  I've played through that game about 5-6 times already and still feel like I haven't seen everything yet

#30 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Fallout 3 GOTY edition.

#31 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Dead Rising (the original) 

I had actually bought this as soon as I recieved my Xbox 360 in 2007 but back then, I was impatient and never knew how to play the game properly. Then I seen a friend play it and realised its true potential as a classic survival horror with comedic elements (which, for the record, I think every horror has anyway - they always make me giggle at something)

But yeah - been a fan of the series ever since and have also bought the DLC and sequel this year and cannot wait until Frank West's dlc for the second installment.

#32 Posted by CitizenKane (10501 posts) -
Uncharted 2, which I didn't get to play until earlier this year.
#33 Edited by JJWeatherman (14483 posts) -

I didn't play a lot of old games this year. Not that I can remember anyways. I did play Bully, and that was pretty good. I guess I vote Bully. 

Edit: Oh, wait! I totally played Arkham Asylum earlier this year! Changing to that. Awesome game.

#34 Posted by SMTDante89 (2470 posts) -

Splosion Man:  I feel like I stole from Twisted Pixel after paying only $2 for it.

Sly Collection:  Sure the collection came out this year, but I loved the games from way back when.

At the moment that's all I can think of.

#35 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Ninja Blade

#36 Posted by mr_moustache (71 posts) -

Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway. Great game

#37 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1123 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins

#38 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins was my game of last year that I never actually got around playing until this one, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 
Also, dude WoW.

#39 Posted by tourgen (4229 posts) -

I played Fallout 3 at about mid-year.  It was awesome.

Runners up that I also played this year: The Witcher, Zeno Clash

#40 Posted by Atlas (2400 posts) -

Toss up between Dragon Age: Origins and Team Fortress 2.

#41 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Chronicles of Riddick Butcher Bay and Dark Athena. 

That game almost made Vin Diesel cool for me.... almost.

#42 Posted by Utlas (48 posts) -

Minecraft!

#43 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@KingBroly said:
" Arkham Asylum "
+1! Loved it!
#44 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I'd say Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

#45 Posted by MajorMitch (471 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles, really enjoyed it.

#46 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

Fallout 3

#47 Posted by RipTheVeins (1540 posts) -

This year I was finally able to experience Burnout: Paradise, and more importantly 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.  The latter easily takes the cake. 

#48 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1592 posts) -
@Euey said:
" I probably played Borderlands more than just about any other game this year. "
As did I. The great DLC helped keep that game alive for much, much longer than I anticipated, and I played the hell out of it this year.
#49 Posted by nukesniper (1311 posts) -

Borderlands for the whole year. 

But inFamous is coming up there too. I've played a lot of that in the last month.

#50 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

Mother 3- amazing game. It's funny, it's sad... it's amazing.
 Penumbra- Started playing last night. It's truly a tense game. I only managed to play for an hour before calling it a day.