Favorite Rogue-esque-ish-like-lites of 2016?

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

More than any year prior 2016 was probably my favorite time to be playing games that are kind of like Rogue but not quite. I realize these kinds of games have been coming out fairly regularly but there hasn't been quite the glut of positive experiences for me as there was this year. I'd like to keep it to titles that were released this year but I'd also like to include console versions of games that came out this year as well.

Number one with a bullet for me is Invisible Inc.: Console Edition. I was as skeptical as anyone over the impassioned plea of Austin Walker to get the game on the site top ten list but having played it this year I can say that it has become one of my favorite video games ever. Not a perfect version of it but I became obsessed with playing it for several months on end, had a ton of fun, and could gladly pick it up and play it any time.

Enter The Gungeon was probably the game with a styyyyyle I liked the most. No surprise that Devolver knows how to make a stylish video game. I managed to get every trophy save for Lead God (the hardest one) and the only reason I didn't continue pursuing it was because of all the awesome games to play this year.

Again a surprising number of great games in this vein seem to have seen a release in 2016. Darkest Dungeon is another one with a great sense of styyyyyle. Nuclear Throne got a finished version finally brought to consoles this year. And Let it Die for as suspect as the Free-2-play model can be, seems like a decent entry in this sub-genre. A part of me wanted to make a poll for this thread but I wanted to hear from others and see if there are any of these kinds of games that I'm forgetting.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I just looked through my library and realized all the ones I've played this year were released last year, the most recent being Nuclear Throne which was released in December 2015.

Many of this year's releases seemed a bit samey to me, Everspace looked cool though, and I'll pick that up once I get a new PC. Gameplay wise Necropolis seemed pretty alright too, but the writing really turned me off that one.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Mezmero

@fisk0: Nuclear Throne was broken for like 9 months straight before being patched once on consoles so I'd be willing to count that. For as irritated as I have been with Vlambeer's lack of support I have to say that is a great video game that I poured A LOT of time into in 2016 (even before it got patched).

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Enter The Gungeon is really good. I haven't been this hooked since Risk of Rain. I'm looking forward to the Supply Drop update coming soon.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am still playing Binding of Isaac and the Afterbirth DLC came out this year (for consoles). I have 2 items to find and I will be at 1001%. It has become one of my favorite games of all time and I'm looking forward to Afterbirth+ in 2017.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinusoidal

I played the crap out of Rogue Legacy this year. I like that the unlocks and upgrades make the game significantly easier. I don't like my Rogue-lites too Rogue-like. I played enough Nethack (never beat it) in my time.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am a big fan of Enter the Gungeon. Poured a lot of time playing that one as well was watching people play it. Aboslutely loved everything about it. Gameplay, controls, the art-style.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkest Dungeon's style keeps me coming back to it. Duskers is a one hell of a game, a real surprise and one of my top ten for this year.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Shiren on Vita and One Way Heroics are really good. Though they are more on the rouge end and thus make it impossible to recommend to most people. GoNNER is also a cool rouge-lite run-and-gun. Its pretty straight forward but still really fun.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Silver-Streak

So far, Let it Die has been really good. It almost seems like an alternate reality version of what Deep Down was supposed to be (Dark Souls-like combat, randomized maps, etc).

I will never not love Crypt of the Necrodancer (which got released on consoles this year).

Everspace has been great. Disclaimer, I backed the kickstarter.

While it's technically not out yet, I play Star Crawlers regularly.

While it's also technically not out yet, 20XX is fantastic. Probably one of the best Mega Man style games released in forever. Go get it before Capcom C&Ds it (although it has been 2 years on early access already).

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It's more of an action game with some rogue-ish elements, but I really really liked Heart & Slash. I honestly don't think I would have even heard of it if not for Jason doing that quick look. The music and visuals immediately stood out to me so I picked it up and turns out it's one of my favorite games this year. It's a pretty simple 3D brawler, but the sheer number of weapons (the vast majority of which I think are fun in one way or another) and upgrades helps keep things fresh for me.

I never thought I would be saying "this rocket-powered hammer is cool, but I'd love to find the baseball bat again" but here I am.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far, Let it Die has been really good. It almost seems like an alternate reality version of what Deep Down was supposed to be (Dark Souls-like combat, randomized maps, etc).

I only played a bit, but what little I played, I thought was fantastic. I was worried at first because of the whole ditching Lily Bergamo thing and turning it into this and blahblahblah, but turns out this is still a Suda51-ass-Suda51 game and it's super fun.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my current favorite genre (subgenre? subsubgenre?) but I don't know if I played much that came out this year. I probably played more Spelunky still than anything new. Just got into Let It Die yesterday and it's all I can think about since then. So it seems pretty awesome but I'll wait to see how the F2Pness of it all goes down.

ZemaVieira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enter the Gungeon - addictive, fun gameplay, LOTS of weapons, cool boss fights, perfect difficulty, mysteries to discover, great-looking pixel art. One of the best games I played this year.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enter the Gungeon is a cool game indeed. It lacks the brutality of a Nuclear Throne, but weapon variation and overall polish sort of makes up for it.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkest Dungeon technically left early access this year so that'll get my vote.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Enter The Gungeon was incredible. I should probably go back to that at some point, seeing as how I never finished it.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Enter the Gungeon gets my vote this year. Pretty much the only roguelike I played in 2016.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everspace has been my favorite of the genre. I've never played a game so intense.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Gonner is pretty good, its like a side-scrolling Downwell. It has a very unique look and would definitely be a contender for Best Styyyyllee if any of the Bombcrew played it.

I really, really liked "Death Road to Canada", its probably in my Top Five for the year. Its another Oregon Trail zombie game, but it has a really chill vibe to it, with relaxing music and a sense of humor I love. There's a lot of player-choice situations while on the road, and when you stop for supplies it becomes a top-down action game where you have to fend off zombies while you grab the food and gas you need to keep going.

lofi_bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna throw Armored Commander out there, as it released in February. The graphics are super simple, but the realism-based mechanics and the fact that your character is a tank with five people under your care gives it a sense of attachment and tension that reminds me of X-Com.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CujoPrime

@citizencoffeecake: I'm with you on Binding of Isaac. I'm super addicted to it and whenever I can deside what I want to play, I can always go play it and have a good/satisfying.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Nuclear Throne and Let It Die are fucking awesome. That's all I need to say.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Guess I'll be picking up Gungeon during this PSN sale then. Wasn't really on my radar at all, but a lot of people here seem to dig it so I guess I'll check it out.

misterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binding of Isaac is amazing. Does Devil Daggers count as a RL? That game is intense!

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By gundogan

@misterz: Nah it's the same every time and you don't get any permanent unlocks from runs.

Still a fantastic game though.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I sunk a ton of time into Darkest Dungeon this year and currently am completely obsessed with Let It Die.

I want to check out Enter the Gungeon at some point for sure.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enter the Gungeon was great, I love the visuals of that game a bunch.

I think I put another 30 or so hours into Binding of Isaac this year, that game is my comfort food when I need to chill out...odd as it can be quite stressful/frustrating.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Gungeon good as a single-player game? I've stayed away because for some reason I got it in my head that it was designed as a co-op romp.

Otherwise, Darkest Dungeon was probably the only one released this year that I put much time into. Easily my pick for best styyyyyle, but it becomes a huge grind relatively quickly.