#1 Posted by darthvader300 (48 posts) -

majora mask is probably my favorite game all the time and i think its soundtrack is hardto top. i like halo and shadow of the colossus soundtrack too.

http://youtu.be/knLCbS02T1Y

what is your favorite?

#2 Posted by NTM (7605 posts) -

I don't have one, there are too many. I don't like the idea of choosing favorites, especially soundtracks.

#3 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19395 posts) -

There's already this thread and this one, but whatever.

It's a toss up between Nier and Persona 4. Actually, no it isn't as there are so many more I could choose from.

#4 Posted by Christoffer (1952 posts) -
#5 Posted by Winternet (8080 posts) -

I'm listening a lot of To The Moon Soundtrack.

#6 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3491 posts) -

I don't know if I could designate a single soundtrack, but I have been listening to the Saints Row the Third soundtrack quite a bit, of late.

#7 Posted by snowninja845 (43 posts) -

ocarine of time cant get saria's song out of my head.

#8 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

Killer7
#9 Posted by AngelN7 (2974 posts) -

I don't have a favorite there are so many I like , I guess the top 3 would be : Halo (2,3 ODST, Reach) , The World Ends with You and Persona 3 ( P3P, Reinarnation, FES ).

#10 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

There are far too many good game soundtracks to name a favorite.

Guilty Gear XX, NIER and Illusion of Gaia are up there there though.

#11 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Persona 4 or Assassin's Creed 2.

#12 Posted by Prince_of_Space (83 posts) -

I wouldn't call it my favorite soundtrack, but the music for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was very unique and probably one of the best things about that game. The composer used all sorts of funky old medieval instruments like the crumhorn , which lent a very antique tone to the music. It's worth a listen.

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6809 posts) -

Any Silent Hill soundtrack.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

Not really big into music. Nothing ever stuck out to me. The end boss theme of PSO is probably the most memorable one for me. Moved me to tears the first time I heard it play.

#15 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -
  • Mass Effect Series
  • Elder Scroll Series
  • Zelda Series
  • BioShock Series
  • Jade Empire
  • Halo Series
  • Guild Wars Series
#16 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

It depends on what kind of soundtrack you're talking about. If it's purely ambience, then I'd say the Mass Effect trilogy or the Halo series. If it's with lyrics and all that jazz, excluding the music games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero, I'd say Persona 4 and SSX3.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Man, it's hard to choose just one game. This list will do, I guess.

Soundtracks to review to.

Well, I just put up my latest review, so I thought I'd make a list of the soundtracks I listen to whilst writing these reviews. And as an added bonus, I'll include a link to a song from each soundtrack. (It won't be my favorite song from each game, because picking just one would be far too difficult.) Think of it as a sing-along list, only I won't be singing. You will be, most likely in a room all by yourself.

1. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu

Is it really any surprise? There are just so many memorable tracks from this game! In fact, here's one.

2. Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

Man, does this game know how to work a piano. It knows exactly which notes to hit to make you feel whatever emotion it wants. For example, you are now trembling with fear, hoping that when you turn around, Chickenhead isn't greeting you. (On that note, I've found it very hard to make that particular song sound scary in Audacity. I've even tried reversing it, and it sounds exactly the same.)

3. Bahamut Lagoon

Just like Fragile Dreams before it, Bahamut Lagoon's pretty good at laying down some emotional tracks. There's a lot of sad stuff, but here's something a bit more uplifting.

4. Mystic Ark

How the hell did Produce make the SNES sound so good? Sometimes, it's hard to tell which track is the original, and which is the arrange. Also, crazy ass names abound. Ooh, like here. It's just a shame that my favorite track (Alone) is nowhere to be found on YouTube. Also, it sucks that the sequel dropped the crazy names for something much more boring.

5. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Not the PSP version (although I've nothing against that), but the SNES version. It's like a boisterous proto-Mystic Ark, in a sense. It's just the type of fighting spirit I could use while writing about how much I don't like Costume Quest.

6. Final Fantasy VI

Again, like Seisen no Keifu, so many memorable and beloved tracks to pick from. I'll just go with what I know.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

OK, I mostly listened to this one while I was reviewing the game in question. It's how I figured out that half the soundtrack is ripped from Link to the Past. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy it, though.

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Honestly, how the crap can you question this? Michael Jackson wrote the soundtrack. He snuck Smooth Criminal into the Ice Cap Zone. That is just all kinds of awesome.

9. SaGa

(Specifically, the Romancing variant of it.) Technically, I should only list Romancing SaGa 3 here, since 1 is hard as hell to find on YouTube (hint: English won't do you any favors), and I'm pretty sure that 2 isn't even on YouTube, but they're all so good. Kenji Ito sure as shit knows how to compose stylistic music. Hell, just listen to his specialty: bitching battle music.

10. Hatsune Miku

Goddamn it. I guess that's it. I've crossed the weeaboo line. There's no going back now. I have to admit, though, that this Vocaloid can work wonders when used properly. As for the song, might as well link to the one that started it all. You (I) have Icemael to blame.

#18 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

This track I heard today in "fall of the samurai" is very happy making.

#19 Posted by CyborgDuo (105 posts) -

Do the Fallout radios count? If so, then those. They serve a dual purpose: adding to the grim tone by adding some cheerful dissonance and also to keep my eyes from glazing over while exploring the Wastelands. Seriously, those games can be boring sometimes.

#20 Posted by Willin (1286 posts) -

Gotta love the Halo 3 ODST soundtrack. It just fits the mood perfectly.

#21 Posted by Vorbis (2752 posts) -

Nier.

#22 Posted by fisk0 (4683 posts) -

7th Legion. Terrible game, but I haven't been able to get Blair Zuppicich's music out of my head even 15 years after release.

#23 Posted by c_rakestraw (854 posts) -

Frozen Synapse and Bastion both have incredible soundtracks. Listen to them frequently. Some examples:

#24 Edited by Animasta (14744 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

Nier.

this

also have you heard the piano collection tracks yet? they're pretty amazing.

#25 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Chrono Cross. Not that I actually like the game. 

It's alright though.

#26 Posted by 71Ranchero (2871 posts) -

I always liked the Guilty Gear soundtracks I guess. Besides that the only soundtrack that ever stuck with me was Shenmue II. I actually have the theme stuck as i type this.

#27 Posted by Eojay (183 posts) -
#28 Posted by kudesai (2 posts) -

minecraft's soundtrack! ;)

http://c418.bandcamp.com/album/minecraft-volume-alpha

#29 Edited by big_jon (5807 posts) -
  1. Halo 2
  2. Halo: Reach
  3. Super Metroid
  4. Donkey Kong Country 1/2
  5. Mass Effect 3? I am not sure, time will tell, but I love that soundtrack.
  6. Gears of War 2
  7. Super Mario in general

I have to think more about it.

These are amazing tracks.

Me and Marty O'Donnell
#30 Posted by lund218 (25 posts) -

Bastion soundtrack was fantastic.

#31 Posted by EVO (3944 posts) -

The Shatter soundtrack is not only one of my favourite soundtracks, but albums of all time.

Runner up is Machinarium.

#32 Posted by eliotie (29 posts) -

I can't choose one favourite OST, but I can easily list a bunch of amazing ones.

(Linked each game to a song)

Phoenix Wright: Trials and tribulations It might not be a big orchestrated soundtrack, but it's still one of the best parts of T&T, which just happens to be one of my favourite games of all time.

Professor Layton and the unwound future First OST that got me so teary-eyed that I thought I was actually going to cry.

Chrono Trigger I've only now started playing this game (super late, I know), but I wish I had gotten into it way earlier if not only because of it's great soundtrack.

Mass Effect 3 Say what you will about the ending, but the rest of this game is amazing and the soundtrack only made it better.

Journey I've had complaints from people about lowering the volume of my TV whenever I play this game. It makes me wish I had super expensive and fancy headphones to use when playing it.

#33 Posted by Rokkaku (223 posts) -

I'm surprised no-one has put in a mention for World of Warcraft yet. It's all great, but those original tracks for the old zones were something special. For the current or former players among us, just try and tell me the Elwynn Forest or Barrens tracks don't throw you all the way back into that world from the very first note.

#34 Posted by MelficeVKM (160 posts) -

Shadow Hearts 1 & Shadow Hearts 2. I don't know of anything like them and I wholeheartedly recommend trying them out!

Other good ones are Grandia II, Bastion & Final Fantasy 6.

#35 Posted by Twiggy199 (512 posts) -

Fallout 3, because it's nothing like the music that i listen to, but i just love it. heres one of my favorites.

#36 Posted by K9 (622 posts) -

There are too many good game soundtracks to choose from, but let me just say the final fantasy series has been the home to some fantastic songs and catchy themes.

My favorite pieces of music in general from games of the 90s, and for a very particular reason. When gaming hardware and memory was a big limitation the musicians were responsible for coming up with small quantity of tunes that were catchy enough to be listenable for hours on end. Now with hardware and memory limitation gone people in general don't bother with coming up with catchy themes in games. The kind of music that we get these days is forgettable ambient sounds, orchestral pieces that sound like one of thousands of classical songs, mind numbing techo "stuff", and licensed pop songs that no one will care about two years after their release. Music in games these days more realized but rarely do I come across songs that are captivating or catchy.

#37 Posted by Hector (3382 posts) -

The first Mass Effect Soundtrack....unforgettable!

#38 Edited by HowDire (270 posts) -

I'm kinda loving the Portal 2 soundtrack at the moment. Also Super Meat Boy, Bastion, VVVVVV and Dustforce. Oh and Sword & Sworcery is also fantastic!

#39 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

All of the Halo games have great soundtracks.

#40 Posted by geirr (2739 posts) -

Akira Yamaoka, Silent Hill 2.

#41 Posted by GunstarRed (5540 posts) -

Sonic 2

#42 Posted by Vorbis (2752 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Vorbis said:

Nier.

this

also have you heard the piano collection tracks yet? they're pretty amazing.

Yeah, even without the vocals the tracks remain just as powerful.

#43 Posted by Trylks (836 posts) -
#44 Edited by mrvilla (8 posts) -

Skyrim and Metel gear series

#45 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

Mega Man 10

#46 Posted by konig_kei (680 posts) -

Phoenix wright: ace attorney, just cause 2 and the uncharted theme are all good.

#47 Posted by periahdark (118 posts) -

I have a very hard time choosing but I think I can narrow it down to three. Kingdom Hearts series, Persona 3 and Persona 4,

#48 Edited by kurtbro900 (116 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country 2