• 71 results
#1 Edited by face15 (1292 posts) -

With the launch of the new generation of hardware there's been a lot of discussion looking back at the very best games from the previous 8 years. That's great and all, but we all already know that Mass Effect 2 and BioShock and Dark Souls are pretty rad.

I'm more interested in talking about the games that were a bit less popular and unappreciated that you really loved and feel like more people should have played. None of these would be in my top ten games of the generation because all those spots are filled with the more well known titles; but if I were to do, say, a top 50 list, these would probably be somewhere in the mix.

Dustforce

The way I see it, Dustforce and Super Meat Boy are very similar games. They are both fast-paced 2D platformers with super tight controls, great soundtracks and fantastic art from small indie developers. They both have a pretty high difficulty but never get frustrating; failure, in both games, only makes you more eager to get a perfect run.

They are both really awesome games, but I think Dustforce is better. Super Meat Boy was released a few years earlier and launched first on XBOX which probably helps make it more visible and so it got a lot of attention on games websites. Dustforce, on the other hand, flew mostly under the radar and I think a lot of people never played it which is truly a god damn shame.

And besides, any $10 that I can get 20 hours of constantly enjoyable fun out of is a winner in my book.

Fat Princess

Fat Princess is a pretty silly little game and there's not a lot to it, but regardless it is probably one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I have had on my PS3. The frantic chaos of 32 little workers running around and desperately trying to steal the enemies princess while simultaneously feeding cake to their own princess to fatten her up and make her harder to steal was just a lot of fun to be involved in.

I think what sets it apart for me is the fact that you really had to work as a team to win. A lot of post Call of Duty multiplayer games tend to require absolutely no teamwork at all but in Fat Princess just trying to roll into the castle alone and take the princess wasn't going to work so you had to work and move as a team to be successful and when you were it was awesome.

It really is a pretty dumb game but I think a lot of people tend to forget how much fun it was.

RAGE

I feel like the zeitgeist around RAGE was almost entirely negative and so when I picked it up during a Steam Sale a few years after it came out I wasn't really expecting much.

I was happily surprised though when I started playing. Despite it's reputation the game is actaully really solid. It has the great FPS controls you'd expect from id, beautiful graphics, an fairly interesting world and story and terrific voice acting. The gameplay and mission design is fine the whole way through and it was diverse enough that I never got bored.

It's definately not the greatest thing ever made but it's a real shame that I had to be so surprised to find a game that I thoroughly enjoyed from beginning to end.

So those are mine, how bout yours?

TLDR: NAME GAMES U LIKE BUT OTHERS DON'T LIKE

#2 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

Asura's Wrath - Yeah, people around here may know it but the general public has no clue what they're missing.

Deadly Premonition - see above.

PoP '08 - A beautiful game with a good story and great soundtrack. I like that the extended platforming sections can play like a rhythm game.

Earth Defense force 2017 - Bad graphics, VA, everything, but some of the most fun I've had with a game last gen. Can't wait for 2025.

Kingdom for/World of Keflings - Base building has always been my favorite pat of RTSs so a game series that focus on that and ditches combat? Hell yeah.

Spec Ops: The Line - A game I went from hating for not going in the direction I thought it was, to loving once I found out it actually did.

Double Dragon Neon - Good combat with an funny and self-referential story and villain. The brothers Lee work best as idiots. Also dig the 80's vibe.

I'm sure there are others but that's a good start.

#3 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1013 posts) -

Rayman Legends is THE best game of the generation, no one will agree with me though.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Every fucking game I nominated.

#5 Posted by LackingSaint (1787 posts) -

BioShock 2.

#6 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4395 posts) -

Off the top of my head:

• Folklore
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Binary Domain
  • WET (you aren't seeing things)
  • Anarchy Reigns
  • Muramasa
  • Most of the stuff made by NIS/Compile Heart/GUST/Idea Factory

Does Demon's Souls count? If so, I would also add that. I know a lot of people loved it, but I feel like it was quickly forgotten once Dark Souls blew up and even people who remember it don't really seem that fond of it. Honestly, as good as Dark Souls is, I just enjoyed Demon's Souls more.

#7 Edited by Kidavenger (3532 posts) -

Maybe not underrated or unknown, but I really liked Remember Me and it seems like nobody played it at all.

Orcs Must Die!, both games were fantastic (they are pretty much the same game though)

#8 Posted by crithon (3129 posts) -

the Pixeljunk games by Qgames, all of them were sleek, bite size games.

Audiosurf, really the soul survivor of this whole music games genre that boomed and died in this generation.

Dragon Quest 9, kinda bizarre how Level 5 was able to push the genre forward with this game on the DS especially around 2009 where it was really just looking like dying polygons at this point.

#9 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Binary Domain, Tokyo Jungle, Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll, Orcs Must Die! 2, Spec Ops, and Double Dragon Neon

#10 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

The Binding of Isaac wasn't on there right? That game was rad. I'm close to 100 percenting that game, just got a few more items to clean up. Also, Wrath of the Lamb was such a good expansion name. In general that game proved that more games need to draw on Judeo-Christian folklore well, and not in some bullshit Xenosaga way either. Radiant Historia was also really cool. I in no way expected that game to go crazy mainstream or anything, but how much it flew under the radar in it's own JRPG target audience was depressing.

#11 Posted by ILikePopCans (749 posts) -
#12 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -

@bane122 said:

PoP '08 - A beautiful game with a good story and great soundtrack. I like that the extended platforming sections can play like a rhythm game.

That's actually a pretty good pick; it would be on my list as well. I'd also add Dragon's Dogma to that list but I'm crazy so don't mind me.

#13 Posted by packs217 (93 posts) -

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was one of my favorites from the past gen; I don't feel like it got a ton of attention.

I'm seeing a lot of games in these posts that don't really seem like they were "under the radar" in any way... maybe I'm missing something?

#14 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (264 posts) -

Just off the top of my head, Trauma Team for the Wii was a fantastic game that didn't get nearly enough love.

#15 Posted by XpressTuning (14 posts) -
@face15 said:

Dustforce

The way I see it, Dustforce and Super Meat Boy are very similar games. They are both fast-paced 2D platformers with super tight controls, great soundtracks and fantastic art from small indie developers. They both have a pretty high difficulty but never get frustrating; failure, in both games, only makes you more eager to get a perfect run.

They are both really awesome games, but I think Dustforce is better. Super Meat Boy was released a few years earlier and launched first on XBOX which probably helps make it more visible and so it got a lot of attention on games websites. Dustforce, on the other hand, flew mostly under the radar and I think a lot of people never played it which is truly a god damn shame.

And besides, any $10 that I can get 20 hours of constantly enjoyable fun out of is a winner in my book.

I agree with Dustforce. It's a great parkour-like platformer with beautiful art direction and a excellent soundtrack. I prefer it over Super Meat Boy.

Also, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. It's one of the greatest games of this generation, and certainly in the top 5 Wii games.

Sonic Colours. It's a fun and extremely replayable game, with a great soundtrack as well.

#16 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

@packs217 said:

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West was one of my favorites from the past gen; I don't feel like it got a ton of attention.

I'm seeing a lot of games in these posts that don't really seem like they were "under the radar" in any way... maybe I'm missing something?

Nah, we'll just grab any flimsy excuse to talk about the games we like, cause yay games.

#17 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

Viking Battle for Asgard, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, The Bureau, Space Marine

#18 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

Nier, Binary Domain, Resonance of Fate, Zeno Clash 2, Devil Survivor 2

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Asura's Wrath and PoP 08 are both picks I would agree with. Pretty good games that got flak for things that didn't matter too much for the experience. A few years ago I would have said Demon's Souls, but that hardly counts as underrated anymore. Thanks Dark Souls!

Alpha Protocol definitely comes to mind. I like Jamestown and Super Hexagon a lot, I feel like those didn't get much publicity "though arguably only positive criticism"...

I could probably think of a couple more. But this seems good for now.

#20 Posted by AlexGBRO (295 posts) -

Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs, Rayman Legends, Alpha Protocol, Natural Selection 2, just some of the unknowns this pass generation

#21 Edited by Marz (5648 posts) -
  • Binary Domain
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Ghost Trick

plenty others.

#22 Posted by stryker1121 (1403 posts) -

If I've said it once on these types of threads, i've said it a dozen times:

Singularity! Play it, it can be polished off in a weekend and it's great fun.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11800 posts) -

Rage was fun, but it lacked any real context. OK, sure, you got the basic idea of what was going on, but the world lacked detail. It was aesthetically amazing, the voice acting was really good, what writing was there was respectable enough, but it doesn't say or do anything that's worth remembering or talking about. It had all the ingredients of a good game but needed something a little more to make it special.

I don't feel like Syndicate or Singularity got enough attention even though both were pretty good.

#24 Posted by MattyFTM (14368 posts) -

It's not exactly unknown, but everyone forgets about Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. It is genuinely one of the best games of the generation. Awesome gameplay, great graphics & art style and fantastic music.

#25 Posted by TurboMan (7506 posts) -

Calling All Cars was a masterpiece and you all know it to be true.

#26 Posted by phantomzxro (1571 posts) -

Alpha Protocol

Fat Princess ( I'm with you on that fat princess game play OC)

999/Zero Escape series

Tearaway ...sadly

Puppeteer

Ni No Kuni

#27 Posted by Klaptos (182 posts) -

@rvone said:

@bane122 said:

That's actually a pretty good pick; it would be on my list as well. I'd also add Dragon's Dogma to that list but I'm crazy so don't mind me.

How I long for a sequel to PoP '08 :(

Guess I'd add, just off the top of my head: Nier, The Darkness, Binary Domain, Vanquish(not sure if it's generally accepted as a great game).

#28 Posted by RVonE (4633 posts) -
#29 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

Guacamelee!
RAGE
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Gods Will Be Watching

... SUPER MARIO GALAXY.

Ok, not unknown, not underrated, but I really feel like people have forgotten about this masterpiece since it came out way back in 2007.

#30 Edited by Slag (4250 posts) -

Dragon's Dogma is totally rad.

#31 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

It's not unknown but its HIGHLY underrated. Max Payne 3. Probably the best 3rd person shooter ive ever played, by a wide margin.

#32 Posted by hans_maulwurf (120 posts) -

Alpha Protocol and Saboteur. Though at least here on giantbomb AP doesn't seem to be that underrated - I was pleasantly surprised that several people nominated Steven Heck for character of the generation.

#33 Edited by IAmNotBatman (634 posts) -

FEAR 2 - Game probably doesn't stand up now but, I remember really enjoying it dammit!

Deadly Premonition - Luv everything about it.

The Cat Lady - Really dark and fucked up a different, interesting story. Suffers from some traditional point-and-click niggles though.

Miasmata - Some cool and thought provoking ideas with an unfortunate lack of... I guess budget.

Edit: Oh, and Prince of Persia too! Need to go back and play that...

#34 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3201 posts) -

Wife Arm AKA Bionic Commando.

#35 Posted by punkxblaze (2972 posts) -

People still dunk on DmC, right? Because that's mine, if so.

Chromehounds was pretty dope, too. Remember Chromehounds?

(Disclaimer: Chromehounds may not have been dope. I was like 15.)

#36 Posted by mems1224 (209 posts) -

Viva Piñata

#37 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

dead island riptide...the game is pretty good and really enjoyable but no one plays it now

#38 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Star Wars: The Force Unleased, Resistance 2, Yakuza 3 (and 4), Folklore, Red Faction: Guerilla, Enslaved, Rayman: Origins, Twisted Metal. SW: TFU and Resistance 2 were my first PS3 games and so perhaps I'm a little biased but I thought they were both terrific. The Yakuza series is underplayed and underappreciated with incredibly over the top and amazing stories/characters with Yakuza 3 probably cracking my top 5 for games of the gen. Folklore, Red Faction, Enslaved and Rayman were underplayed and to my knowledge sold poorly but were each fantastic. And Twisted Metal gave me hours of excellent online (once the issues were resolved lol).

#39 Posted by TheBluthCompany (384 posts) -

@lackingsaint: This. I honestly like the story in it better than the other two Bioshock games.

#40 Edited by audioBusting (1506 posts) -

Trauma Center: Under the Knife is one of the best action games this generation which interface is completely unique to other games. And the affordance the new input devices give us in video games, I think, is what the generation is all about.

#41 Edited by Jeust (10552 posts) -

Nier

Deadly Premonition

Bulletstorm

Silent Hill: Downpour

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Fable 3

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Heavenly Sword

Nanashi no Game

Last Window: Secret of Cape West

Dementium: The Ward 1 & 2

Radiant Historia

Resident Evil 6

#42 Posted by HolyHackZack (105 posts) -

Rayman series

Payday: The Heist. I didn't even look at this game during its heyday and it is eating all my time right now

#43 Posted by gokaired (523 posts) -

Underrated: Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, These are great action RPGs but aren't talked about much since it's campaign for a wider release. King of Fighters XIII definitely an underrated fighter

Unknown: Knights in the Nightmare, almost know one seems aware of this dark DS game. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, a Wii fighting game that's better than MvC3. Yeah, I said it!

#44 Posted by TheBluthCompany (384 posts) -

As stated above, Bioshock 2. Also:

DmC

Alpha Protocol

Dragon Age 2

I'm also thinking Just Cause 2 and Forza Horizon but I think neither are unknown.

#45 Posted by MB (12269 posts) -

In the interest of transparency, I would like the community to know that I just changed the title of this topic from favourite to favorite. As you were.

#46 Edited by DonChipotle (2725 posts) -

Alpha Protocol

El Shaddai

Oh, yeah, and Nier.

Is it too early to say Remember Me? I feel like that game is underrated and forgotten. But I loved it.

#47 Edited by Raven10 (1765 posts) -

I think people have said everything I would mention. On the more unknown (and underrated) side:

• Folklore
  • Singularity
  • Binary Domain
  • Enslaved

On the known but underrated side:

• Resistance 3
  • Red Faction: Guerrilla
  • The Darkness 2
  • Bulletstorm
  • Prince of Persia 08

Just listing major console games. I'm sure people could list NIS/Atlus games for hours that deserved more attention than they got and there are a ton of indie games that deserve to be played by many more people.

#48 Posted by White (1341 posts) -
#49 Edited by face15 (1292 posts) -

There seems like there's a lot of love for Prince of Persia 08 here. I'm adding it to my wishlist so I can hopefully I can pick it up for like $3 in a Steam Sale.

@lackingsaint: This. I honestly like the story in it better than the other two Bioshock games.

@d_bones said:

TFU and Resistance 2 were my first PS3 games and so perhaps I'm a little biased but I thought they were both terrific.

@mb said:

In the interest of transparency, I would like the community to know that I just changed the title of this topic from favourite to favorite. As you were.

#50 Posted by face15 (1292 posts) -

Huh, the formatting on that last comment sure did get fucked up and delete everything I said in reply to all the quotes.