Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 1%
Portal 9%
Rock Band 4%
Super Mario Galaxy 10%
Team Fortress 2 4%
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 2%
The Witcher 3%
*other* 3%

Hey, so 2007 was a great year for games (some might even say the best). Also, it was a decade ago! So, let's do some reminiscing.

Personally, my favourite from 2007 is BioShock, but Mass Effect and Portal aren't too far behind. So many new IPs!

• 
mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That was a tough choice

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Definitely Super Mario Galaxy for me. Played a good amount of Guitar Hero III on the Wii and I played through Uncharted 1. None of those games can match how awesome Galaxy is to this day.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By NoneSun

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Glad to seem some others here appreciated it too.

Cubecubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It was Bioshock, closely followed by Halo 3 (the best Halo IMO), and Mass Effect. Mass Effect is my favorite game series easily, but it didn't really gel until the second one for me.

StealthRUSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 81

Shining Force EXA & Odin Sphere on PS2.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#106  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Coming back to this thread and sort of regretting my pick. Halo 3 was amazing, but Rock Band and TF2 were my whole fucking life for a while. Seriously, is there a more influential year in games ever? 1998 was arguably more influential as it laid the groundwork for what came out after it, but you're also still seeing clones and sequels of almost all of these games mentioned in this thread today.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is skate not on this list?!

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

1. Orange Box (especially Portal, but everything on that thing)
2. Virtua Fighter 5
3. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
4. Contra 4
5. The World Ends With You
6. No More Heroes
7. Skate
8. God of War 2
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Halo 3

2007 had good debuts, but I feel they all had games that would be so vastly improved that it makes the first one outdated pretty quickly imo. In terms of debut, nothing tops Rock Band to me, but 2 was just a vastly better game in every way so it's why I don't necessarily want to say that one in retrospect. The Witcher and CoD 4 are on the to-do list, I'm pretty sure at least CoD 4 would be there, if not probably top my list.

warcat777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 54

Gonna have to go with The Witcher.
Followed by Bioshock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl, Assassin's Creed, and Manhunt 2.
Honorary mention: Tomb Raider - Anniversary!!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had to play any of these today it be Mass Effect or Crysis. Crysis I came to later because I've never had a high end machine that could run it the way I wanted it to until a few years ago, but I definitely remember being blown away by Mass Effect back in the day. I found games like Bioshock to be entertaining but overrated, not an all time great to me, but I can definitely see the appeal. I haven't played the Witcher yet, and I'm not sure if I can go back to it after playing 3, maybe I can, but given how hard it is for me to slog through Witcher 2, I doubt it. I miss Roach damnit!

Oh, I also played the shit out of Guitar Hero 2, it was very novel back in the day and probably my favorite simply because of the soundtrack and the fact that it was my first one of these.

Btw I think the next year was the year Arkham Asylum released, now that came out of nowhere and blew me away.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#111  Edited By Tom_omb

It's really close between Bioshock and Mass Effect for me. That was the year I got my 360 and these were the first two games I played on it. Each of these games immersed me in a fleshed out world I had never seen before in video games. I went with Bioshock because I feel that was a much more self contained cohesive experience, while Mass Effect truly reached its potential with the sequel. Portal deserves honorable mention as well.

I wish I could say Mario Galaxy, but that game has been a struggle for me. I can't fully get on board with the mass acclaim. Something about the useless hub being a barrier to the actual game and never being fully comfortable with the wiimote made it a chore to play for me. It's a game I've tried many times to finish over the years and I've never been able to stick with it. It also came at a time when I was drifting away from Nintendo. I'm glad to say the Wii U brought be back into the fold and Super Mario 3D World is a much better game that deserves more attention then it gets. It's just as much a main line 3D Mario game as Galaxy, goddammit!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If we're talking about US release dates then Persona 3. (Came out in 2006 in Japan, though for Europe - where I played it - was in 2008). In terms of the game I played the most of that year and have the most cherished memories with during 2007: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

Of the games on this list, the only one that I think hasn't either been surpassed by others in the franchise to the point of irrelevancy (Assassin's Creed/Mass Effect/The Witcher/CoD 4: Modern Warfare/Uncharted/God of War 2/Halo 3/Metroid Prime 3/Rock Band) or driven to the ground through discussion/memes and other takes on the same ideas (Portal/Bioshock/Half Life 2/Crysis/Team Fortress 2) and thus my opinion of the only one that holds up: Super Mario Galaxy. This is very reductive but it's the only way I would have voted if Other was not there.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Summer of 2007 ... one of the best years of my life

Bioshock

conwayok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

COD4 and Mass Effect were for me the best, but it was a great year, so many good ones.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By BrunoTheThird

The Darkness.

Heart-rippingly dope powers, Mike fother-mucking Patton, and WWI in Hell. Nuff. Said.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@brunothethird: Oh god The Darkness did come out in 2007 didn't it. God damn

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By None_Braver

It was a good year. Uncharted was great, right up to the weird creatures in the sub. It made me fall in love with a new franchise that is still going strong in 2016 with Uncharted 4 and with a spin off in 2017.

A close second was CoD:MW. I played the hell out of the beta and dominated MP when it came out. The Black Ops games and Advanced Warfare really got it off it's rails so I hope this year's edition rights the ship.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dinosaurcanada: It's one of the few games that violently jumps into my brain now and then. I get an intense flash of me in the mansion at the end, fully upgraded; waiting for dusk to come; and then creating endless black holes, sucking dozens of scumbags into it before ascending the lighthouse, capped off with the track Captain Midnight by Tomahawk playing over the credits. To fifteen-year-old me it was like gaming Nirvana.

Bioshock is a very close second though. The Orange Box third.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#119  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@brunothethird: @dinosaurcanada: @brunothethird: Damn, I had also forgotten The Darkness was a 2007 release. Now that was an amazing game. I think I may still stand by my 5 month old posts about Crysis being my favorite of that year, but The Darkness is a really close second.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Of all the games listed, the only one I have played recently was Rock Band. Oh man is that game still fun. My poor old RB1 drums may double hit a bit but I still had a blast.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@fisk0:Crysis is a gaming landmark even today. I'd say it's viewed with disdain now, generally, or reluctant praise, even though it was beloved at the time. As soon as I picked up a big turtle and accidentally slung it into a rock I knew it was something special.

Another I adored was Rogue Galaxy; pirates in space and a talking cat, c'mon!

Virtua Fighter 5 was a huge hitter, critically, but I got scared by its complexity.

Edit: during my 2007 game research I discovered the truly horrifying fact that Famitsu gave Vampire Rain 30/40. I'm surprised all of Japan didn't get its coat on that dark day.