Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Pony all up in this thread!

But seriously, these are probably some of my favorite 8-bit tracks currently.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SpartanAmbrose
ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Village_Guy: Those are great. I especially like At the Gala.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By solidlife

When I heard that the Wonderboy was being Re-released from the Sega Megadrive, it upset me because I loved the Sega Master system game as it had the best music EVER, it still plays in my head till this day.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By big_jon

Mario and Metriod music.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

Street Fighter 2010 brah.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By MocBucket62

Mega Man hands down! Though Bowser's Road in 8-bit is pretty cool

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Silver-Streak

I think this thread may be against the rules as far as it can probably be considered youtube spam. However, here. Pretty much everything in here that is 8 bit is my favorite. have all 1 hours and 22 minutes of it. Keep in mind that I am disinterested in music in general, so for me to find something appealing is no easy feat. Also, I know this version isn't 8bit, but all of the originals from the NES games were.

Edit: My apologies to the mods for contributing to the thread if it's against the rules.

That said, BeachThunder has the right idea. While I can't say I actively want to listen to VVVVV's music (Again, due to my general disinterest in it), that damn song got stuck in my head for a week after I finished VVVVV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clonedzero

8-bit music sounds like shit. its not charming you fucks. it only existed due to technological limitations at the time. stop letting nostalgia pull you around by the balls.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Poppduder

All these are great, but you're missing a sleeper hit. Not just this song, but the whole games pretty rad.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Clonedzero: That is one view. However, the other possibility I've heard put forward: due to the limited hardware available to them, the composers for old 8/16bit games had to make sure their melodies were that much catchier. That's why a lot of older 8-bit music remixed with newer instruments tend to still be catchier than a lot of newer game music.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fr0br0

@Clonedzero said:

8-bit music sounds like shit. its not charming you fucks. it only existed due to technological limitations at the time. stop letting nostalgia pull you around by the balls.

Beta to the Max says shut the fuck up and enjoy the music.

@MocBucket62 said:

Gotta go with Concrete Man's theme. Made that my ringtone for the longest time

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Clonedzero

@Fr0Br0: ok, i'll admit that one was pretty good.

DallasTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DallasTheGamer

@MocBucket62 said:

Anything Megaman is awesome imo. Pretty much all of the NES games nailed the soundtracks!

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By viking_funeral

Mega Man wins.

Super Mario Bros. might come close or tie for pure nostalgia. With the Zelda intro in a distant third.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By ch3burashka

@Clonedzero said:

What the fuck does that even mean? That's like saying organ music only existed because of its technological limitations. Quit being a "too cool for school" moron - not everyone who likes 8-bit music is being a hipster about it - it's legitimate music in its own right.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By zero_

The classics are all here - Castlvania, Megaman etc. I'm a little disappointed at the lack of Final Fantasy though.

and as a bonus, it's orchestrated version is probably my favourite video game song of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siP0syXBde4

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Clonedzero

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Clonedzero said:

What the fuck does that even mean? That's like saying organ music only existed because of its technological limitations. Quit being a "too cool for school" moron - not everyone who likes 8-bit music is being a hipster about it - it's legitimate music in its own right.

thats not like it at all. the organ was invented, thus organ music was created. they didnt make the music because 8-bit music became possible, they made it because it was the only way they could get music into the game, if they could have they would have completely forgone the entire "genre". so yes. it only exists because of the technological limitations of old games. saying otherwise is ridiculous. im not being a "too cool for school moron" as you so ignorantly say...im stating an obvious fact that you're apparently offended by.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By trylks

@Clonedzero: it's not a genre, it's just music composed for machines according to those technical limitations. It happens to sound different, which is often bad, but some specific songs are simply great. Making something that sounds well given those technical limitations is awesome and astounding IMHO, it's not like the pyramids in Egypt, but still noteworthy. This is a thread for those songs.

Two more I've just remembered. This was my ringtone for some years, there was a midi that was fine, now I can have an mp3 file.

Here you can hear Dedede theme for 8bit (the first one) was the best one ever.

Even though technology gave more freedom and possibilities to composers later, Dedede's themes had reached their peak with 8bit.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mister_Snig

@Clonedzero: And I'm sure if Adventure didn't have the technical limitations of an Atari 2600, you wouldn't be controlling a green square running away from ducks. But a lot of people see charm in a simplistic aesthetic like pixel art, which is part of the reason why it's still used today. I think a similar school of thought has sprouted up around retro/8-bit music as well, hence the chiptune scene and elements of that sort of stuff being used in today's pop music.

I mean it's fine if you don't like it, but to claim that it has no value is a bit shortsighted.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

I love it when they take songs that aren't originally 8-bit, and turn them into one. And while I'm not really one of them, I think there are a lot of people that like the Uncharted Worlds song in Mass Effect, so here's that in 8-bit.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sockemjetpack

This one might be a little more obscure. I loved this game growing up and I'll never play it again because I have a feeling it stank. It's AMAGON!!!

Killing birds with the power of UPPERCUTS!!!

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Anything from Maniac Mansion, but Michael's theme has always been my favorite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Clonedzero

@MisterSnig: oh, i never said ti had no value, its just purely nostalgia driven value is all

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mister_Snig

@Clonedzero: That may be, but I don't see a problem with that personally.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Cathryn

@Soapy86: Ah, Ducktales music. Love it! I loved that game so much. I'm dying of nostalgia right now XD

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chrissedoff
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By nightriff

Zelda Overworld Theme is my favorite 8 Bit theme music, fucking classic.

My favorite song turned 8 Bit is actually Hammer Smashed Face. Hate the real song, pretty cool 8 Bit

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By csl316

Mega Man's always awesome, too. And hell yes, Duck Tales. Though I grew up mainly on the Genesis so most of my favorite game music's from around there.

I gotta say that I don't like modern amateur chiptune music, though. Though that's a story for another thread.

@Clonedzero said:

@MisterSnig: oh, i never said ti had no value, its just purely nostalgia driven value is all

Honestly dude, I don't know how it can be purely nostalgia driven. There's a reason these songs still resonate, and people will still hum melodies and cover songs. These are legitimate, complex songs within a technological constraint. People like Nobuo friggin' Uematsu created this music, man. It's real music.

Ever listen to some old pop song you liked as a kid/teenager, only to realize that it kinda sucks? I've never had that happen with video game music I liked. Why is that?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By tourgen

great. I just spent 45 mins on youtube listening to 8bit and 16bit music and watching old demos.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#36  Edited By Brackynews

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@Clonedzero said:

Given the choice between trolls or 8-bit music tugging my balls, I know where my money's going. I like to get bit, if you knowwhutimsayin.

And I know y'all do. So pretty.

Also RCR SHOP MUSIC cuz yea yeaaaaaaah!

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I don't even remember how I got this game, but man it was really fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cathryn: Yeah, it's great! It's probably my favorite piece of music from the NES.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By trylks

@Clonedzero said:

Never played a megaman game, but I still think the music is good.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jewunit

@wolf_blitzer85: Kid Dracula was great! It was sort of like a Mega Man game in a cute, Castlevania-esque world.

My personal favorite 8-bit tune is Mega Man 3's Spark Man theme. I still get a little surge of energy every time the beat drops.

I also have a soft spot for the Battletoads pause music.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Canteu

Am I doing it right?

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HarlechQuinn
InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By InsidiousTuna

The Mappy bonus round music says FUCK YOU.

Also, this website has been an absolutely incredible resource for 8- and 16-bit sound. Check it out, you'll thank me.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ervonymous

My all time favorite, the first time I heard it in Silver I just stopped to listen.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By InsidiousTuna

@ervonymous: Fuck, I forgot how good that song was. Got super-bored in Silver, but that is excellent music.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By InsidiousTuna

I'm sad no one else is posting here. Post!

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cthomer5000

Almost every single song from Tecmo Super Bowl. I almost get the chills every time i hear the Championship music. The game perfectly blended sports with the feel of video games getting increasingly difficult. The music got dark and the teams got super-good in the playoffs. Winning the title almost always felt like a real accomplishment.

Additionally, i cannot recall a sports game before or after that had such a great championship sequence. You got the players names (as you should) to highlight them like the stars of the movie you'd just watched. You had the great "behind-the-scenes" shots of a player being interviewed by media, a coach getting carried off the field, the gatorade shower, etc.

There were other great moments like when you won the division, or the big reveal of the final standings (which, depending upon the playoff race, could also be a dramatic reveal of the wild card teams). I really think modern sports games designers should play this game to start to finish, there is a lot to be learned there.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By buzz_clik

@Clonedzero said:

And you like to smear yourself in Nutella and masturbate to the album cover of Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals.

Sorry, I thought we were making up BS theories about other people's tastes. Did I get the wrong end of the stick on that one?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By buzz_clik

As someone who grew up with the Commodore 64, I still love the music of that era (as evidenced in that blog I've gotta get back to doing).