Poll: Favourite AMC Series (162 votes)

Mad Men 12%
Breaking Bad 67%
The Walking Dead 15%
The Killing 0%
Hell on Wheels 1%
Rubicon 2%
Other (Specify Sons!!) 3%

So as a follow up to my HBO poll I was curious if people would have more recognition of AMC's series as a result of not being a special pay network. They also have fewer shows so the poll won't be as spread out I don't think. Personally I don't think AMC has reached the same heights as HBO (they need some years and more series) but a few of their shows are my favourites and incredibly well written. In particular I am a fan of their 3 "flagship" series Mad Men, Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. Mad Men despite people finding it boring (I suppose I know where they are coming from) is amazingly well acted and I find it super entertaining especially the work drama (the finale of I think the 3rd season is the best where everyone is scrambling for contacts to scape together their move to a new agency) W While it has had highs and lows it would still be my choice for this poll. As for Breaking Bad I was on that shit from the start and watched the first 3 seasons compulsively, however, for some reason (well my family and friends who also agreed) halfway into the fourth season was so slow me and my gf broke off watching it. I have the season four box set staring at me and plan on taking it up soon cause I hear it gets even crazier, once again acting is amazing and the story is great (if a little over the top) this would be my number two. The Walking Dead was another one which I watched back to back but then fell off (this time in the second season) once they found the little girl and had their break I didn't return to it. Until this week when I finished up the second season and found it to be more enjoyable the second time around but yeah Hershel's Farm was getting old by the end. I'm looking forward to getting into season 3 even though my gf has abandoned the series. Unlike how I feel about MM and BB, TWD isn't in my opinion as well written, the characters feel dispensable and often unlikeable but the setting and atmosphere is good. So it is my far flung third choice.

As for Hell on Wheels/The Killing and Rubicon I've never seen them and they are not high on my to watch list. Please let me know if I am making a terrible error in missing these shows but they never seemed super compelling. In particular as Westerny shows go I'm going to try and watch the rest of Deadwood and/or start watching Justified before Hell on Wheels and The Killing sounded like a disappointment when there are many better cop dramas out there.

Alright duders my predictions about the HBO poll were wrong but I think this one will go 1) TWD cause people love zambies 2) BB cause people love blue meth 3) MM (in a seriously far behind 3rd) because some people love smoking and the rest is a crap shoot.

Enjoy

#1 Posted by cutyoface (553 posts) -

I am a huge fan of Mad Men.

#2 Edited by _Chad (960 posts) -

I've only seen Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. I picked Breaking Bad because I think it's a far better show than TWD. I should watch Mad Men, I've heard it's quite good.

#3 Edited by JasonR86 (9729 posts) -

Breaking Bad but Mad Men is close. The Walking Dead is a distant, distant third (that finale fucking sucked by the way). The only other one I've seen on that list was The Killing and the second season of that show was a complete waste. I have no interest in the third season.

#4 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

Breaking Bad is the only one I've seen.

I watch the show over the summer and loved every moment of it. Lately though I've started to look back on it and I think it's not really all that great.

Still a good watch though.

#5 Edited by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

I love Mad Men and Breaking Bad. The Walking Dead is simply OK and I fell out of the Killing during season 2 when every episode seemed to be "This guy has a secret! This guy has a secret! This guy has a secret! Everyone has a secret!" ad nauseum and I just couldn't watch it anymore because it was so frustrating.

I picked Breaking Bad because it has been the most consistently incredible since it started. That show has never had a bad episode.

#6 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

AMC is the only channel I watch anymore, Breaking Bad and Mad Men are better than anything else on TV now and I like the Walking Dead universe; the comic is better but I think the show is also worth watching.

#7 Edited by bobafettjm (1475 posts) -

Comic Book Men is my favorite show on AMC.

#8 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

It is really good and I hate reality TV. But I am a huge fan of the TESD podcast so that has a lot to do with my love for it.

#9 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

What about "Inside The Actor Studio"?

#10 Edited by Chaser324 (6745 posts) -

Breaking Bad is far and away number one in my eyes, but Mad Men is also pretty great. The Walking Dead is a little inconsistent, but I'm still committed to it, if for no other reason than just the fact that the novelty of a serial TV drama about the zombie apocalypse still hasn't worn off.

I really wish Rubicon had gotten the opportunity to have a second season. There were moments during its run where I saw a lot of potential for it to play ball in the same league as things like 24 and Homeland, but the pacing was just excruciatingly slow and methodical throughout most of it. By the time things started accelerating in the final few episodes, AMC had already pulled the plug.

Proposal for next poll: Favorite FX Series.

#11 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

I'll say Breaking Bad.And the Walking Dead became a lot better in the 3rd season,hope it'll keep up.

#12 Edited by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

Walking Dead

#13 Posted by Sander (413 posts) -

Can't believe that Walking Dead is beating Mad Men.

#14 Posted by Chaser324 (6745 posts) -

@sander said:

Can't believe that Walking Dead is beating Mad Men.

Considering the demographic of the GB user base, it's not really all that surprising.

#15 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

@chaser324: honestly I expected more walking dead fans period, guess I underestimated how much people like breaking bad.

#16 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

Does anyone else think The Walking Dead is just really boring? Like, more boring than an NCIS episode.

You should totally check out Rubicon. It takes about 3 episodes to really find it's groove, but once it does, it gets pretty darn great. It's like a nerdier version of Homeland, basically, but as someone who hasn't watched Breaking Bad I'd say it's the best show AMC's had.

@extomar: that was on Bravo, wasn't it?

#17 Edited by Jams (2966 posts) -

If you liked Deadwood then Hell on Wheel is similar to me. I think it's my favorite AMC show.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8559 posts) -

I have seen 3 episodes of The Walking Dead so I guess that wins by default.

Man, TV huh?

#19 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -

There are seriously people who describe Mad Men as boring? I think Roger Sterling is up there with my favorite TV characters ever.

#20 Posted by Arabes (345 posts) -

Such a shame about Rubicon, I thought it was a really good show and loved the slow pacing. Much more of a thriller than homeland with far less of the off the wall twists.

@benny: I am one of those people. I watched maybe 6 or 7 episodes and just thought Draper was a bit of a dick in a time where most people seemed to be a bit of a dick. Does it pick up?

Still though, breaking bad for the win !

#21 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

I love AMC shows. I never want to watch them though. AMC's trademark snail's pace just doesn't feed my endorphin gland enough, to make me chemically want to watch its shows. Then I watch 'em anyways, and am blown away.

Breaking Bad for me.

#22 Edited by Yummylee (22576 posts) -

Breaking Bad, but its only competition would be The Walking Dead since it's the only other show I've watched. And even then it's only been the first two seasons. I think it's OK overall; little inconsistent, but even when it's at its best it can't match Breaking Bad for me.

#23 Posted by DorkPheasant (13 posts) -

Breaking Bad, because it never gets boring, is very unique, and is one of the most developed and deep tv series i have ever seen.

#24 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

67 votes and none of them for The Killing. I'm proud of you guys.

#25 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

@arabes said:

Such a shame about Rubicon, I thought it was a really good show and loved the slow pacing. Much more of a thriller than homeland with far less of the off the wall twists.

@benny: I am one of those people. I watched maybe 6 or 7 episodes and just thought Draper was a bit of a dick in a time where most people seemed to be a bit of a dick. Does it pick up?

Still though, breaking bad for the win !

Yes, there's an episode called Nixon VS Kennedy in season 1 that is the highlight of the first season. Well worth a watch.

#26 Edited by Cyrus_Saren (540 posts) -

Tough for me but Breaking Bad edged ahead of The Walking Dead.

#27 Posted by JadeGL (975 posts) -

Mad Men by quite a bit. Second would be The Walking Dead. I have tried Breaking Bad but wasn't loving it, but I think I may go back and try again. My husband loves it, so maybe I just need to give it another go.

#28 Posted by jsnyder82 (763 posts) -

Breaking Bad, but Mad Men is a pretty damn close second.

But apparently the one person who loves Hell on Wheels is a member of Giant Bomb. So that's nice.

#29 Edited by TooWalrus (13258 posts) -

Breaking Bad is the best thing on television as far as I'm concerned, but Mad Men and Walking Dead are pretty great.

#30 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

Breaking Bad, seriously awesome and well written stuff. The Walking Dead is stagnating in my opinion.

#31 Posted by RoyaleWifCheese (559 posts) -

Mad Men and Breaking Bad are the only two AMC programs that I've fallen in love with. The Walking Dead had promise, but doesn't really do it for me.

#32 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Really want to get into Mad men, but every time I try I just end up stopping again, not sure what it is, seems solid, but there's something about it that I just don't find interesting. But Breaking bad wins easily not only over AMC shows, but all of the shows I watch. Except for maybe top gear.

#33 Edited by Milkman (17337 posts) -

Breaking Bad with Mad Men a pretty close second and The Walking Dead a WAAAAYYYYYYY distant third.

#34 Edited by RecSpec (3948 posts) -

Mad Men because I can go back and watch an episode again and again still find it almost as good as the first time I saw it. Breaking Bad is a goddamn fantastic show, and it's probably a better show than Mad Men overall, but for me it's not a show I want to go back and watch over and over. It's all about the first time seeing it.

#35 Edited by DarthOrange (3908 posts) -

The Walking Dead is pretty damn good. Breaking Bad in behind that. And Comic Book Men in third.

#36 Edited by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -

Mad Men for me. The setting is already an interest for me, and the characters and writing are superb.

#37 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

Voted Breaking Bad. Mad Men is fucking awesome as well.

#38 Edited by TheHT (11819 posts) -

Breaking Bad, no contest.

I'll occasionally catch Mad Men on sunday mornings when I've forgotten to sleep, but I've yet to watch a season through.

Walking Dead just sort of bums me out. I wouldn't call that a favourite show anymore, but I probably won't stop watching it either.

#39 Edited by Butano (1790 posts) -

Breaking Bad for sure. Only have watched the first season of Mad Men, though I really enjoyed it, just haven't been able to get back to it.

Comic Book Men is also pretty enjoyable for a reality show!

#40 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Breaking Bad nuff said.

#41 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

Breaking Bad is awesome because every episode is so full of suspence.

I also like watching Mad Men, it just doesnt leave me wanting the next episode the moment the show ends

#42 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4894 posts) -

@bobafettjm said:

It is really good and I hate reality TV. But I am a huge fan of the TESD podcast so that has a lot to do with my love for it.

Fuckin' A. The only problem I have with Comic Book Men is that it doesn't involve Q. Bry, Walt, and Q mocking Ming and Mike every week is my dream version of that show.

#43 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Breaking Bad, easily.

#44 Edited by Rokkaku (223 posts) -

The Killing is but a watered-down version of the Danish original, Forbrydelsen. The first series of which stands with the best suspense/mystery programming of anywhere in the world. It's part of the Scandinavian crime-wave that America has co-opted in recent years, but is far, far better in its original form - even with subtitles, the horror!

#45 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (459 posts) -

I like Breaking Bad but Walking dead can be good sometimes....Mad men Is also great....ugghh I like them all :D

#46 Posted by pleasedaddyno (87 posts) -

Walking Dead and The Killing are both poo.

#47 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

Breaking Bad is the best thing on tv by a mile! By two miles even.

#48 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

breaking bad by far. its pretty damn amazing in every aspect. best character development ive ever seen in a tv show. walter and jesse aren't even remotely close to their season one counterparts.

the walking dead is decent, i wish the characters were stronger.

mad men is great at times, other times its boring as fuck. plus there arent really any characters i LIKE. like im not rooting for anyone, its just watching a bunch of assholes, sure its very well made and well written, still its just a bunch of assholes.

hell on wheels was pretty good, i watched the first season on netflix awhile back. not up to snuff with the rest, but still worth a watch if you're bored.