• 126 results
#1 Posted by mracoon (4972 posts) -

The year is coming to a close and that means you can expect a ton of 'Favourite ___ of 2012' threads, like this one. With Bioshock Infinite's rather bland cover being announced, I thought it would be cool to look back and see what everybody's stand-out box art was from this year. Here are my picks in order of release:

Syndicate -- Simple yet bold, sums up the game's aesthetic pretty well.
Touch My Katamari -- The Katamari games always have a lot going on in their box art but they still manage to convey the game's charm and whimsy.
Gravity Rush -- It was a toss up between this and Inversion for best sideways box art.
Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy -- I'm a fan of the weird chibi representation of the FF characters.
Borderlands 2 -- A smart play on the original game's box art but it makes me wonder what they'll do for a Borderlands 3.
Hotline Miami -- Another box art which perfectly encapsulates the game's tone.
 So, what are your favourites?
#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

Max Payne 3. The art for that game is ridiculously good, typical Rockstar at this point.

Max Payne 3 cover art - final

I would have said Borderlands 2's flip side cover art but then I realized just after I picked up the game that it's basically a complete rip off of Olly Moss' work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/21/borderlands-2-borrows-star-wars-poster-art

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

Gravity Rush's is definitely a favorite. Actually, that's probably the only box art this year that really stood out to me.

Oh, and Persona 4 Golden's:

Full of energy and style
#4 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -
US Box

Xenoblade has my vote. Love the green grass against the blue sky and mech.

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4693 posts) -

I know some people weren't into it, but I actually really like Far Cry 3's art.

360 box art (cropped)
#6 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Bishna: You took my first choice, so I'll go with my second:

Two classy covers for the price of one.
#7 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I thought that Kanji and Rise looked wierd in that.

#8 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

The Darkness 2 by far. Darksiders 2 wasn't bad either.

#9 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

The reversed Xenoblade Chronicles cover art in the US is absolutely fantastic.

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4417 posts) -

No Halo 4 yet? Fuck this thread.

#11 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3882 posts) -

@Sticky_Pennies said:

The reversed Xenoblade Chronicles cover art in the US is absolutely fantastic.

It really is beautiful. Didn't play the game but I love it.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

The Walking Dead's cover is cool.

#13 Posted by cutyoface (547 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

Max Payne 3. The art for that game is ridiculously good, typical Rockstar at this point.

Max Payne 3 cover art - final

I would have said Borderlands 2's flip side cover art but then I realized just after I picked up the game that it's basically a complete rip off of Olly Moss' work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/21/borderlands-2-borrows-star-wars-poster-art

Yeah I feel Rockstar's covers are always top notch.

#14 Posted by Sumbog (491 posts) -

I like the really simple stuff, keeping it classy ya know? The clutter of something like Persona 4 is a bit much for me.

#15 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -
XBLA box art

The guy just looks so happy :D

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -

I really like the style of Sleeping Dogs' cover:

#17 Posted by Kiri90 (257 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: I rather like the box art for The Darkness II as well. The cover art on Steam was pretty great.

Box art displayed on Steam

@mracoon: I also really liked the box art for Syndicate and Borderlands 2, as you already pointed out.

#18 Posted by handlas (2698 posts) -

oh ya Sleeping Dogs is where it is at. T. Stout is the artist. Love his style. Need to buy one of his posters but they are always sold out.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

I'll go ahead and say hotline miami for games i actually played, but I do like Far Cry 3.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -
#21 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos: I love that game but that box art kinda sucks considering they have none of the actual main characters on it (a main villain sure but still)

What does it matter?

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

#24 Posted by bushpusherr (808 posts) -

Ignoring the game for windows live and the ratings/branding labels:

Artorias is fucking awesome.

#25 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1700 posts) -
YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
#26 Posted by Kiri90 (257 posts) -

Also.

360 box art (cropped)
#27 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Generiko said:

XBLA box art

The guy just looks so happy :D

#28 Posted by csl316 (8939 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong
The Darkness 2 by far. Darksiders 2 wasn't bad either.
Hey, look at that. Both of my choices.

I actually really liked Halo 4's, as well.
#29 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@Spoonman671: Huh, I actually just now noticed the head in the sand on that FC3 cover.

Despite the extremely clichéd "dude holding gun" theme, I actually really like this for its simplicity, color, and acknowledgment of the tradition of minimal Hitman box arts. Really likin' the game too! Screw the haters!
#30 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Fuck. I don't buy enough physical games to get a broad spectrum of box art...

#31 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

What does it matter?

I like it a lot because its simple and classy it doesn't have a whole lot of noise on it. Simple white background the title and a single character. I think on a lot of covers now days there is just way to much noise. I have the Limited Edition and it just has the title on a white background and I really like that. Sometimes minimilistic goes really far with me.

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
@BeachThunder

Best of 2012 for sure.
#33 Posted by iShayman (92 posts) -

I still haven't played this one, but I really like the box art.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

What does it matter?

oh sure the limited version sounds cool, the regular cover is just kinda... untrue advertising? advertising Lightning to be a large part of the game when she really isn't.

Don't be obtuse. She may not have a large role in it, but she's still present and an important character.

#35 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

What does it matter?

Don't be obtuse. She may not have a large role in it, but she's still present and an important character.

I guess, but that's like... putting Dojima on the Persona 4 box. He's an important character but there should be other characters that come first.

Also I think they were trying to fool people into thinking Lightning was going to be controllable since she was so popular, honestly, it's smart business.

#36 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

What does it matter?

I guess, but that's like... putting Dojima on the Persona 4 box. He's an important character but there should be other characters that come first.

Also I think they were trying to fool people into thinking Lightning was going to be controllable since she was so popular, honestly, it's smart business.

Technically, she is playable, both in the game's start and in some of the DLC. Also, Lightning's request for Noel to find Sarah is a driving force behind the storyline. This is not the same as putting Dojima on the cover of the P4 box.

#37 Edited by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

Yep, really liked Sleeping Dogs style, although Syndicate is cool.

Also, do the guys have a box art of the year category? At the risk of adding another category, I think they kind of should.

#38 Posted by JohnnyMcmillen (156 posts) -

I fucking love that Hotline Miami cover,

#39 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

What does it matter?

Technically, she is playable, both in the game's start and in some of the DLC. Also, Lightning's request for Noel to find Sarah is a driving force behind the storyline. This is not the same as putting Dojima on the cover of the P4 box.

I still say it's intensely misleading, and honestly don't even think it looks that great (though that's mainly because of that dumb render of her, if it was just the silhouetted picture of her and caius fighting it would've been way better).

#40 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Animasta: You're basically saying that it was misleading of Namco to do this for the Japanese We Love Katamari cover:

In which case, you are objectively wrong.

#41 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Hailinel: katamari damacy's defining characteristic; being crazy

that cover; being crazy

not misleading at all!

#42 Posted by MB (12709 posts) -

At least the Sleeping Dogs box art is a departure from the ubiquitous "guy with a gun" style that has been plaguing us for years. However...Dogs is still my second favorite of the year next to Hotline Miami.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel: katamari damacy's defining characteristic; being crazy

that cover; being crazy

not misleading at all!

No, the defining characteristic is a tiny, tiny prince rolling up giant balls of junk for a giant madman to turn into stars. That cover does not reflect that.

#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Two classy covers for the price of one.

The downside being that it throws my game shelf all out of whack because there's a noticeable bump now.

Oh, right. An answer. Gimme a sec.

Yea, Xenoblade, I guess. Let it be known that I am a massively lazy bastard.
#45 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@iShayman said:

Fuck, that's great.

#46 Posted by bmehlers (130 posts) -

I'm surprised nobody has said Assassin's Creed 3 yet, I thought it was on of the better covers of the year.

#47 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Borderlands 2. It's the second gun, so there are TWO FUCKIN GUNS. Man, such an awesome set of box art.

#48 Posted by MajorMitch (533 posts) -

@iShayman said:

This is definitely my favorite :)

#49 Posted by cthomer5000 (817 posts) -

Yeah, a lot of good ones this year. Fez jumps to mind for me. The Walking Dead, i guess most specifically the upcoming disc version art:

Syndicate is nice and clean. Good game, good art.

Journey?

#50 Posted by RawknRo11a (566 posts) -

Loved the Steelbook case you got for pre-ordering Assassins Creed 3. Wish they had used this art work for the actual game.