#1 Posted by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

Now as you may have noticed, there have been a lot of loot games this year, or at least games that have procedurally generated loot as a bullet-point to consider. So I just wanted to create a poll to see where all of our loot lust has been directed unto the most.

Of course I imagine this is basically asking which do you prefer: Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. But as someone who unfortunately isn't able to even play those games, I assume there may be more like-minded individuals. So in short, I guess I'm more so curious to see what the third most popular option will be... My pick is undoubtedly Borderlands 2. Great game, with an even more expansive set of loot over the first game, and everything that I loved about Borderlands and then some hast been returned to me once more!

I decided to put in an Other option as well, because I just know I've missed something...

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

Would Dungeons of Dredmor count, or am I way off?

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11697 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

The year is way off.

Anyway, Borderlands 2, but I really loved Darksiders 2's loot feeding mechanic.

#5 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

I still really enjoy Borderlands' procedurally generated guns.

#6 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I'd say it's neither a loot game nor a 2012 game...so pretty far off.

#7 Edited by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

I haven't played Torchlight 2 yet so I'll go with Borderlands. I guess Dust would count but there really isn't much loot in the game. You basically craft anything worth using. So I guess the materials are the loot? I also think Darksiders 2 would have been better if there was no loot and just buying stuff from the vendor. I found comparing loot and just picking it all up a chore in that game.

#8 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10475 posts) -

In terms of loot, I dunno, but Dust is easily the most fun of the games there that I've played. Dust isn't really as much of a loot game as those others.

#9 Edited by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

My vote goes to Dust An Elysian Tail though not because of its loot. I like the story, the visuals, and the gameplay.

#10 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

Can I vote for the game I didn't play simply because I'm burned out on loot-based games? My answer would be Torchlight 2. The only game on that list that I've played so far is Diablo III, but there must have been some reason why my time with it came to a dead hault and I just say "meh" every time I go to load it up.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@BeachThunder: @Chaser324:

Well, I'm playing it in 2012, so I can count it like that.

#12 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I decided to put in an Other option as well, because I just know I've missed something...

Risen 2: Dark Waters....Though it's a crap game, so I doubt people will vote for it.

#13 Edited by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

In terms of loot, I dunno, but Dust is easily the most fun of the games there that I've played. Dust isn't really as much of a loot game as those others.

@shivermetimbers said:

My vote goes to Dust An Elysian Tail though not because of its loot. I like the story, the visuals, and the gameplay.

Hmm, fair enough. I haven't played it myself so I only added it in on the account of remembering Brad's comments about how there's loot and stuff.

@shivermetimbers said:

@Yummylee said:

Risen 2: Dark Waters....Though it's a crap game, so I doubt people will vote for it.

Well someone may have, given the votes for 'Other' :P

#14 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -

poor Darksiders .. :p

#15 Posted by Spoonman671 (4560 posts) -

I've only played Diablo 3,  Kingdoms of Amalur, and Borderlands 2 out of those.  I'll get to Torchlight 2 eventually, but so far Borderlands 2 is the clear winner for me.

#16 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Borderlands 2 and then Torchlight II's a close second. With Diablo III being a disappointment that I highly doubt I'll play again. Path of Exile's pretty sick too, but it's not actually out yet so I guess that doesn't count.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Not having played Borderlands 2 yet, which looks absolutely bonkers in the loot department, it's got to be Guild Wars 2.

Whilst GW2's itemization is normalized, I love the versatility within each class its character systems allow for, and how competitive gear can be obtained on whichever way I chose to play the game, and how I can personalize every aspect of how my gear looks, from the extensive dye system to transmutation of stats onto other skins - it's amazing how unique a character can look, if you put some effort into it.

Now the legendary weapons. In terms of lootgame-specific wet dreams. Legendary!

P.S. How the fuck did I embed a 'Playlist Player'? That's outstandingly useful!
#18 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2458 posts) -

I will not accept "loot game" as new term for Action-RPGs. It's bad enough that "roguelike" is a now a catch-all for difficult games.

#19 Posted by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

@atomic_dumpling said:

I will not accept "loot game" as new term for Action-RPGs. It's bad enough that "roguelike" is a now a catch-all for difficult games.

Shut up with the pedantry and vote damn it! Besides, maybe Dust is pushing it a little, but the others are very clearly loot games. They have loot, a lot of it, therefore they can be categorised as loot games

#20 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@atomic_dumpling: Civilization is a roguelike yo.

@Yummylee: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition has loot, it must be a loot game! Why isn't it in the survey!?!?

#21 Posted by csl316 (8111 posts) -

I'm not even big on loot (I just like an awesome weapon and sticking with it). But something about Darksiders II just resonated with me. Maybe it's because I could take a possessed weapon and continue upgrading it for a couple hours.

#22 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Borderlands one, it's all I've played.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Yummylee: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition has loot, it must be a loot game! Why isn't it in the survey!?!?

Because it isn't randomised, nor is it colour coded. Nice try, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!

EDIT: Unless I missed something about the PC version...

#24 Posted by VooDooPC (312 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Because it isn't randomised, nor is it colour coded. Nice try, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!

Does that mean SSX is a "loot game"?

#25 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@Yummylee: It's a PC game, and therefore has been modded extensively!!!!

Day Z is the best loot game of 2012 though, hands down. There's loot, it's random, zombies. Zombies!

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

@VooDooPC said:

@Yummylee said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Does that mean SSX is a "loot game"?

Iunno, haven't played it.

#27 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

More like Bordomlands 2. AMIRITE?

#28 Posted by Redhotchilimist (197 posts) -

I put Kingdoms of Amalur in my number one spot, but it was really the only contender. Put around 80 hours into that game. First game I ever played with color-coded loot. Now whenever I hear the word, my back gets all hot and heavy and it all feels hopeless. It's been a rough year to listen to talk on the Bombcast about Diablo loot, Borderlands loot, Torchlight loot and Darksiders loot(Dust loot is a new one, I missed that part).

So after one game, I'm worn out on the whole concept. Maybe I would feel differently if I had played one of the other games instead, but I became really invigorated after playing Dragon's Dogma, which isn't too different from an Amalur that isn't boring. It's also really light on the loot.

I appreciate the topic, glad to get this off my chest.

#29 Posted by GunstarRed (5027 posts) -

I am very fond of Borderlands 2, but it hasn't made the same impact this time around.

#30 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Stealth Borderlands 2 thread.

Where's all the Diablo 3 love? Could have sworn it was greatest thing ever and anyone who dare speak against it was an entitled shit.

#31 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I don't consider Dust a loot game, so I choose Borderlands 2.

#32 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

@algertman: Only the press thinks that as far as I can tell, even extraordinary Diablo 3 fans are apologetic about it. Then again it's not like press actually played the game enough to know about its myriad issues.

#33 Posted by Jrinswand (1695 posts) -

Torchlight 2, hands down. It's an ARPG where loot upgrades actually feel meaningful.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (23901 posts) -

Where's Kid Icarus: Uprising? The amount of weapon loot in that game is insane.