#1  Edited By Giantstalker

Where's my Shogo

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What an odd selection of games. Original DOOM is the only answer.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Doom.

The original Doom.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an odd selection of games.

What are you talking about? You can't have a list of 'favorite shooters' without that all time classic Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2!!!! I mean I like the Garden Warfare games, they're good, but....

It's totally unclear what this list is even supposed to be. For the most part it has series rather than individual entries, but it lists Garden Warfare 2 specifically. It seems focused on stuff that has come out on this generation but it doesn't have Doom or Wolfenstein or Far Cry so... Maybe it's focused on multiplayer? But Destiny is not a multiplayer focused game (it has the crucible, but Doom has a full suite of multiplayer modes too, even if people don't love them) so...

Is this best of all time? Best of this console generation? Is it just multiplayer or the whole package?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I vote other and go with Duke Nukem 3D.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hard time choosing between the various shooters I've poured hours into over the years... Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 4, Doom 2, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Halo 3 and Splatoon are all real good.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

1. Left 4 Dead
  2. CS 1.6
  3. Overwatch
  4. Destiny
  5. Quake 3
Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates:

To be fair to the author I think it's pretty clear what the theme is. It's clearly Coolest Shooters for cool dudes who love being cool dudes playing Xbox.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#9  Edited By Savage

This reads like a market research survey: an overbroad question with a bunch of arbitrary choices consisting of a mishmash of mainstream-popular games and franchises--all released on consoles, no PC exclusives--plus a strangely specific and obscure choice or two that no one would ever think to vote for were it not on the list (PVZGW2). All it's missing is a game that was popular a long time ago, but is no longer current, like "Left For Dead" (with title misspelling), and a game/franchise that recently sold very well, but doesn't cleanly fit the definition of the question, like "Fallout."

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates:

To be fair to the author I think it's pretty clear what the theme is. It's clearly Coolest Shooters for cool dudes who love being cool dudes playing Xbox.

Cool dudes don't like Doom, Rainbow Six, or The Division?

Actually, looking at it again my guess is that this list was composed by a young teenager or even a pre-teen and I feel bad for snarking. Being a kid on the Internet can be tough. If I'm right about that, I'm sorry young duder.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BojackHorseman

Destiny easily. I think it's one of the best games ever made.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@picky_bugger said:

What an odd selection of games.

What are you talking about? You can't have a list of 'favorite shooters' without that all time classic Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2!!!! I mean I like the Garden Warfare games, they're good, but....

It's totally unclear what this list is even supposed to be. For the most part it has series rather than individual entries, but it lists Garden Warfare 2 specifically. It seems focused on stuff that has come out on this generation but it doesn't have Doom or Wolfenstein or Far Cry so... Maybe it's focused on multiplayer? But Destiny is not a multiplayer focused game (it has the crucible, but Doom has a full suite of multiplayer modes too, even if people don't love them) so...

Is this best of all time? Best of this console generation? Is it just multiplayer or the whole package?

Destiny is entirely focused on multiplayer. Multiplayer doesn't only mean deathmatch, and while Destiny PVP is fairly popular, the co-op and specifically raids are why so many people have put so much time into the game.

Most people that play Destiny solo don't get much past the 20 hour mark before putting it down. The people that have put hundreds or thousands of hours in are the ones with a consistent group and always play with other people

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Just out of curiosity, why didn't you pick L4D2?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Halo, because the moment-to-moment action is unsurpassed in my mind. Not only multiplayer, but the varied AI and abundance of modes (and firefight). I stopped trying to rank those games, so the series as a whole.

Battlefield 4 had some amazing multiplayer, and Doom has had great campaigns over the years. But Halo just hits on every front for me.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

Whilst the poll is bad, the question is valid. For me, I grew up after Quake, Doom and UT were things. My first online shooter experiences were Halo 3 and COD4, so I'm a little biased, but here's my top 5 (assuming we are talking multiplayer shooters specifically):

1. COD4 - Hands down the most memorable MP FPS I've played
  2. CS:GO - Seeing as Search and Destroy was my favourite game mode in COD4, this is a game that really appeals to me
  3. Halo 3 - Team Doubles and SWAT will always have a place in my heart
  4. Bad Company 2 - Some beautiful maps and the destruction stuff really added a lot
  5. Overwatch - The first shooter to catch my attention and feel like it was doing something different since COD4 for me, and I didn't even like TF2
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Quake 3 lol?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF2
Doom 1
UT 2k4
Quake 3

@savage said:

This reads like a market research survey: an overbroad question with a bunch of arbitrary choices consisting of a mishmash of mainstream-popular games and franchises--all released on consoles, no PC exclusives--plus a strangely specific and obscure choice or two that no one would ever think to vote for were it not on the list (PVZGW2). All it's missing is a game that was popular a long time ago, but is no longer current, like "Left For Dead" (with title misspelling), and a game/franchise that recently sold very well, but doesn't cleanly fit the definition of the question, like "Fallout."

This is exactly correct

Zafarnama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect Dark

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the new DOOM is probably one of my favorite shooters I've Played in a long time! :D That being said, before that it was Bullet Storm (I would still love to see a sequel) and before that it was probably Battlefield: Bad Company. My favorite shooter of all time might be the original halo, I didn't play a whole lot of fps before that game came out, but that one blew me away!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I really hate it that a new account with this as his only post, who doesn't even write text and clearly makes a bad poll, still has the correct answer in there.

It's Destiny. Easily too.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht: Just out of curiosity, why didn't you pick L4D2?

Left 4 Dead 2 is fantastic, and at this point has all of L4D1's content in it anyways, but there was something special about playing L4D1 for the first time. It was this genuinely tense game where it really felt like I was struggling to survive and coordinate with a bunch of strangers against overwhelming odds and circumstance. By the time L4D2 came around, I'd gotten used to zooming through the campaigns and that magic was mostly gone. It became really video gamey for me.

Playing on higher difficulties got the survival part back, but the sheer panic of a horde or stress of navigating around a witch was absent. It was just a really fun co-op shooter at that point, instead of this crazy intense experience. Still great! Just different.

I also preferred only having the double pistols to fall back on and just dump with, instead of the option of melee weapons, which feel really powerful.

All told both games are probably my favourite for shooters, it's just that first few months with the first one were reeeeeal special. It's a similar type deal with CS 1.6. Memories of intense showdowns, drawn-out sieges, and crazy maps/mods are some of the best times I've had with a shooter, though it's not like CS: Source or GO were shit, know what I mean?

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates:

Only the realest dudes like Doom. I had a similar feeling when reading the list.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Y'know, I was going to make a poll relating to favorite shooter franchises, but figured there would be far too many.

I'd say Half Life if we're talking story and gameplay combined. Doom for pure gameplay.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By ShaggE

Blood. Even just talking shotguns (the true measure of a shooter), I think Blood has Doom beat.

Rise of the Triad (original) for a close second, even though it doesn't even have a shotgun.

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't thought about this in a while. I've put more time in Battlefield 4 than any other shooter and it's way up there. I like that game a lot.

Other way up there games are half-life 1 & 2, halo 1, the DooMs, and Borderlands 1. That order might be the correct order also.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Based on the vague title, Destiny has the most satisfying core shooting for me of any title on this list. So I voted for that, even though I don't really play it these days.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lv4Monk

I get this is all bunk but it's keenly timed bunk given my recent habit. I can't stop playing Killing Floor 2 (after years of not being able to quit Killing Floor 1).

Not really the same thing but damn is that game's call hard to resist.

Bait003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my other is simply is the sniper elite series cause just cause my balls ache the odd shot or two. have fun figure this out!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F.E.A.R. still has the best firefights of any game the new Doom game was great but it still can't touch what the original F.E.A.R. did.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#31 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Doom and DOOM

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a stupid list. Quake 3 of course.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage: Not to mention the OP's post count.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

geometry wars :D

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By BoOzak

F.E.A.R.

It had better destructable enviroments and AI than most shooters do today. (Siege was great at the former but the AI was a mess)

As much as I like that shooters are getting faster and more acadey I do feel that we're just substituting that for interesting weapons and better AI. Granted it's a hard problem to solve and i'm aware F.E.A.R mainly just created the illusion that the AI was better than it was but cool touches like enemies interacting with the enviroment and commenting on your weapons and what you've just done go a long way. The Last of Us did some of that and it was great. (granted thats not really a shooter)

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 4 is still king for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the worst list of shooters.

Doom, Wolf3D and maybe Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Bros. 2

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UT2004

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny.

No other FPS I've played comes close to how buttery-smooth the handling and gunplay are in that game.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you can guess my pick by my avatar

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Halo! Hours of endless fun in Blood Gulch.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Probably System Shock 2.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'm all about that Halo, but still rather amazed to see more people preferring it over Call of Duty or Battlefield.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch. All day, every day.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Blake Stone.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heretic, even like 22 years later, is still my Number 1 pick favorite shooter. The Level Design is great, the gameplay is great, the enemy and item-variety is ripped streight from Doom, which isn't a bad thing since they placed the enemies exactly where they should. When it comes to shooters, this is the full package. I'd even argue that this game is more fleshed out than Doom is.

When it comes to general gameplay and fond memories, I would pick Quake 3 Arena over Heretic, but theres Singleplayer almost entirely missing and the game didn't tick for me unless you either play it with mods like everybody else I know did or played in a very thickly woven vq3 online community.

Though it hurts me to favor one game over the other so I just go with both Q3 and Heretic as my favorite Shooters.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UT, Quake 2 & 3, DOOM, Wolfenstein TNO, Painkiller.

Not sure about the order, but that's the list more or less.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For multiplayer: Battlefield series

For Single Player: I love the Metro series.

Also, have great memories of Halo, Doom, and Unreal Tournament.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just going by series I say Halo, Half-Life, Doom are the holy trinity.

Also Overwatch is the best multiplayer shooter I've ever played.