was it banned twice?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

This happens all the time in Australia.  Nothing new.  Until there is a classification change, no game that exceeds MA(15+) rating will be given approval.  There is currently meetings with the state Attorneys General with the view of introducing an R rating to resolve this matter.

Any number of reasons will see a game refusd classification.  Just using drugs is one.  Promoting graffiti is another.  The other obvious ones are violence and sex.  Most puiblishers simply make modifications for their games and resubmit them.  Very few don't get an eventual release.

Don't assume from this that Australia is some kind of a moralistic, restrictive country.  It isn't.  This is a country that had full frontal nudity on free to air television in the early 1970s.  It is also a country that allows the use of the f and c words on free to air television and radio.  It is just an anomaly due to not having an R rating available for games.  It will be changed soon enough.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

Why even 'discuss' honestly....one more M rated game being banned in Australia isn't news. They've banned so many so far I think people should just expect it at this point, and more so be surprised when a violent game is released there in general the way it seems.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90

well Australian gamers always have to import M rated games ,  I pity them

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By adam_grif
daniel_beck_90 said:
"well Australian gamers always have to import M rated games ,  I pity them"
No, we have to import games that are refused classification. Most "M" rated games in the USA are called "MA" down here, which is for people 15 years and older. Regular M can be bought be people under 15, but is not recommended for them.

For films, we have the R18 rating, which is the equivelant to NC17+, only you can get R for gore. M in USA is for 17 and older as well, which means that you can have more gore without getting the stigma associated with the NC17 rating. However, the MA15+ australian rating, because it is expected to be appropriate for 15 year olds, can't have quite as much gore. So a small number of American M games are refused classification, since videogames are not allowed to have an R18+ rating in Australia.

Yeah.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb
adam_grif said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
No, we have to import games that are refused classification. Most "M" rated games in the USA are called "MA" down here, which is for people 15 years and older. Regular M can be bought be people under 15, but is not recommended for them.

For films, we have the R18 rating, which is the equivelant to NC17+, only you can get R for gore. M in USA is for 17 and older as well, which means that you can have more gore without getting the stigma associated with the NC17 rating. However, the MA15+ australian rating, because it is expected to be appropriate for 15 year olds, can't have quite as much gore. So a small number of American M games are refused classification, since videogames are not allowed to have an R18+ rating in Australia.

Yeah.

"

I feel bad for you guys. I'm sure Australia is a great place to live and your country has aided America often, so I have a lot of respect. You also have pretty badass accents. But I have to say, your government is extremely overzealous when it comes to media classification and distribution. It's an ironfisted zeal, to be blunt. Hopefully this changes in the future. *

*Edit: And I think it will change.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Demilich

Australia is actually quite shit. I eagerly await the day when I move back to Canada.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
Demilich said:
"Australia is actually quite shit. I eagerly await the day when I move back to Canada."

Really? How so?
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adam_grif
BiggerBomb said:
"adam_grif said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:

Yeah.

"

I feel bad for you guys. I'm sure Australia is a great place to live and your country has aided America often, so I have a lot of respect. You also have pretty badass accents. But I have to say, your government is extremely overzealous when it comes to media classification and distribution. It's an ironfisted zeal, to be blunt. Hopefully this changes in the future. *

*Edit: And I think it will change."
To be honest, I'm moving to the United States as soon as I've finished my University education.

Internet Censorship, draconian gun laws and media censorship in general. The last government to take over has a track record of ruining our economy, is burning through the previous government's cash surplus and is passing more and more laws that are infringing on our liberties. And the general population loves them.  We're honestly about 20 years away from living in Communist China.

I'm getting out while I still can.
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Oh god, coming from the country where there's like 10 murder's a day

I guess it could be worse. Like Germany and their wonky rating system. Teen rated titles get banned in Germany.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
adam_grif said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"adam_grif said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:

Yeah.

"

*Edit: And I think it will change."
To be honest, I'm moving to the United States as soon as I've finished my University education.

Internet Censorship, draconian gun laws and media censorship in general. The last government to take over has a track record of ruining our economy, is burning through the previous government's cash surplus and is passing more and more laws that are infringing on our liberties. And the general population loves them.  We're honestly about 20 years away from living in Communist China.

I'm getting out while I still can."

Huh, learn something new everyday.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Demilich
BiggerBomb said:
"Demilich said:
"Australia is actually quite shit. I eagerly await the day when I move back to Canada."

Really? How so?"
Inflated prices on games, movies, cars, houses, TVs... Hell, everything is inflated. Terrible trading hours (Sundays everything is closed, most stores close at 5pm). Late releases on movies/games. Government is highly conservative. The only ISP in the country with a decent internet infrastructure monopolizes despite the Government wanting to open it up. Cockroaches. Rats. Mice. Flies (BILLIONS of them). 40 degree summers (that's Celsius). No good cereals. No Root Beer. Strict gun laws. Strict driving laws. High taxes. Low wages.

But at least GST is included in the price tag. And our money has little plastic windows in them.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adam_grif
Demilich said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Demilich said:

Really? How so?"
Inflated prices on games, movies, cars, houses, TVs... Hell, everything is inflated. Terrible trading hours (Sundays everything is closed, most stores close at 5pm). Late releases on movies/games. Government is highly conservative. The only ISP in the country with a decent internet infrastructure monopolizes despite the Government wanting to open it up. Cockroaches. Rats. Mice. Flies (BILLIONS of them). 40 degree summers (that's Celsius). No good cereals. No Root Beer. Strict gun laws. Strict driving laws. High taxes. Low wages.

But at least GST is included in the price tag. And our money has little plastic windows in them."
Actually we do have root beer.

It's called Sarsaparilla down here though.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich
adam_grif said:
"Demilich said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Demilich said:

Really? How so?"

But at least GST is included in the price tag. And our money has little plastic windows in them."

It's called Sarsaparilla down here though."
That is not Root Beer. You can actually buy it here, but only from a few Chinese grocery stores that import.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By atejas

Project Origin doesn't even look that interesting, but this is seriously bullshit.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aurelito
oldschool said:
Don't assume from this that Australia is some kind of a moralistic, restrictive country.  It isn't.  This is a country that had full frontal nudity on free to air television in the early 1970s.  It is also a country that allows the use of the f and c words on free to air television and radio.  It is just an anomaly due to not having an R rating available for games.  It will be changed soon enough."
Are these affairs something to proud of?

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By adam_grif
Demilich said:
"adam_grif said:
"Demilich said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Demilich said:

Really? How so?"

It's called Sarsaparilla down here though."
That is not Root Beer. You can actually buy it here, but only from a few Chinese grocery stores that import."
Yes it is. Everybody makes it slightly differently, much like anything else. Arguing that Sarsaparilla isn't root beer is like arguing that Coke isn't cola. The taste may be a bit different, but they are clearly one and the same.

The internet agrees with me on this one, Sarsaparilla = Root Beer. They are just different names, Root Beer is typically the American name for it, Sarsaparilla is the name it gets in Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
atejas said:
"Project Origin doesn't even look that interesting, but this is seriously bullshit."

I'm looking forward to Project Origin, a lot actually. In fact I completely forgot about it before I wrote that blog and I do have it in a self-made list. "Next Year's Games." But I will agree with the bullshit comment, because it is.

I hate this kind of crap.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adam_grif

I want to use the powered armor in project origin.

I was anticipating F.E.A.R. from the first trailer released down to release. I loved it. Not as excited for this, but it looks fun at least.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daniel_beck_90

so does this game worth purchasing ?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb
daniel_beck_90 said:
"so does this game worth purchasing ?"

Fuck yeah! You might want to check out IGN, they have some great video coverage of Project Origin.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daniel_beck_90
BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:

Fuck yeah! You might want to check out IGN, they have some great video coverage of Project Origin."
what is the story and mood all about ?  is it horror or action ?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:

Fuck yeah! You might want to check out IGN, they have some great video coverage of Project Origin."
what is the story and mood all about ?  is it horror or action ?"

Oh, wow. Ok. Don't play Project Origin without playing F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon, the first in the series. The game is about a special forces team that investigates and combats supernatural forces, all the while trying to keep it under wraps. You start off as the new pointman for F.E.A.R. and are sent to investigate strange reports from a military facility that utilizes telepathic prototype, super soldiers. Then everything goes to hell and the shit hits the fan. It's, in my opinion, the best FPS of this generation. Many will disagree with that, but that's just my opinion. The game has an outstanding story and engaging gameplay, but ironically the game isn't that scary; for me, at least. It is thrilling and can really fill you with a suspense, although the scare tactics are nowhere near as well executed as in Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Project Origin takes place after the events of F.E.A.R. and by the looks of it, it seems to have the great story and gameplay of the original, but more varied environments and far more frightening.

Check F.E.A.R. out, there might still be a demo for it on XBL. Hopefully it hasn't been taken off. Check it out, you might like it.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By adam_grif

You mean the FPS of last generation...
... I was playing that Baby on the PC before the 360 was even released ;)

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiggerBomb
adam_grif said:
"You mean the FPS of last generation...
... I was playing that Baby on the PC before the 360 was even released ;)"

No, I mean of this generation. The first console release of F.E.A.R. was on the Xbox 360 and PS3.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daniel_beck_90
BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:

Oh, wow. Ok. Don't play Project Origin without playing F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon, the first in the series. The game is about a special forces team that investigates and combats supernatural forces, all the while trying to keep it under wraps. You start off as the new pointman for F.E.A.R. and are sent to investigate strange reports from a military facility that utilizes telepathic prototype, super soldiers. Then everything goes to hell and the shit hits the fan. It's, in my opinion, the best FPS of this generation. Many will disagree with that, but that's just my opinion. The game has an outstanding story and engaging gameplay, but ironically the game isn't that scary; for me, at least. It is thrilling and can really fill you with a suspense, although the scare tactics are nowhere near as well executed as in Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Project Origin takes place after the events of F.E.A.R. and by the looks of it, it seems to have the great story and gameplay of the original, but more varied environments and far more frightening.

Check F.E.A.R. out, there might still be a demo for it on XBL. Hopefully it hasn't been taken off. Check it out, you might like it."
now I think I might like it , will check it out
thanks for the fleshed out description by the way
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"daniel_beck_90 said:

Check F.E.A.R. out, there might still be a demo for it on XBL. Hopefully it hasn't been taken off. Check it out, you might like it."
now I think I might like it , will check it out
thanks for the fleshed out description by the way"

No problem. That game is definitely worth the reccomendation.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pause422

I definitely loved me some FEAR, it had some pretty bland environments though once you start moving around the same building for a while, that may turn off some. I know in FEAR2 though they are expanding it a ton though, taking it outside some, opening up the game a lot, its all gonna be a lot bigger. The game looks like its shaping up great, and I'm honestly glad it didn't come out this year and get buried behind everything. Hopefully it gets some love when it hits in February.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
pause422 said:
"I definitely loved me some FEAR, it had some pretty bland environments though once you start moving around the same building for a while, that may turn off some. I know in FEAR2 though they are expanding it a ton though, taking it outside some, opening up the game a lot, its all gonna be a lot bigger. The game looks like its shaping up great, and I'm honestly glad it didn't come out this year and get buried behind everything. Hopefully it gets some love when it hits in February."

I'm turning 17 in February. This might be the first M rated game that I can buy without parental supervision! :D
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiggerBomb

You know what...

Now that I have a new Xbox 360 and I've started with a new HDD, I don't have a save-game of F.E.A.R. I might want to play that for a 2nd time. That sounds like a great idea, actually.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422

Nice lol, it looks excellent to me, even if I didn't see anything on it, soon as I knew a true sequel to FEAR, and not shitty expansion that Sierra made, I was super interested. Seeing what I've seen of it though, it looks really good.

I really love that Monolith is straight up saying"those expansions? weren't made by us, and should not be accounted for what so ever for the story. hell with em" basically since FEAR 2 came out, hopefully everyone understands that clearly. They aren't taking them into account what so ever, as if they don't exist.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By daniel_beck_90

@ Bigger Bomb : I will definitely buy F.E.A.R 2  because I adore Monolith Studio .  Could you summarize the story of First F.E.A.R for me  ?  I am afraid I won’t be able to play that game myself .

Thanks in advance

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pause422

The entire thing would take a while, even though its kinda straight forward. It's also a bit confusing on the first playthrough for some people. Its a pretty interesting mythos, but it kinda left some holes in the story, and they didn't tell it as good as they could of, and even admited that themselves. I'd say look on Wikipedia or something for the plot summarization, usually there is a beginning to end there for most games.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By daniel_beck_90
pause422 said:
"The entire thing would take a while, even though its kinda straight forward. It's also a bit confusing on the first playthrough for some people. Its a pretty interesting mythos, but it kinda left some holes in the story, and they didn't tell it as good as they could of, and even admited that themselves. I'd say look on Wikipedia or something for the plot summarization, usually there is a beginning to end there for most games."
thanks for the advice duder