• 63 results
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Steve and Matt continue their quest to play marginally more scary games!

A new game, Finally!

=========UPDATE===============UPDATE============UPDATE==============UPDATE===============UPDATE============

To see the previous trial, click here!

If you like the video, please subscribe to us on the Giant Bomb youtube channel!

Follow MattBodega and Steve "LemonPuddingPop" on Twitter!

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Steve and Matt continue their quest to play marginally more scary games!

A new game, Finally!

=========UPDATE===============UPDATE============UPDATE==============UPDATE===============UPDATE============

To see the previous trial, click here!

If you like the video, please subscribe to us on the Giant Bomb youtube channel!

Follow MattBodega and Steve "LemonPuddingPop" on Twitter!

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chemin

Whoo! Dismemberment time!

kuz101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kuz101

FUCK YES.

I will stay up to watch this.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By dethfish

This might be the brightest video of the series.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

This should be a series of Endurance Runs from here on out. There have been a couple of games so far where I've thought "Oh man, if they'd just keep playing a while longer, we'd get to see their reaction to [awesome scene]..."

(I know this is a ridiculously tall order, and I hardly expect it to be heeded. The fact that they did it with even one game was amazing.)

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By benpicko
@ShaggE Why's it a tall order?
Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Olivaw

Playing Dead Space for about forty five minutes shows you just about everything that's in Dead Space. I loved seeing all of Condemned but I will be excited to see games which are NOT Dead Space.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space is one of my favorite games. Love the video but now I know how people felt when watching the RE1 vids. Super excited to see new games in the AWESOME series! WOOO!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vexxan

New game!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

Yay, Dead Space; I suppose this is the closest to System Shock 2 well get, right :P

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89

AW SHIT I MISSED THIS

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Venatio

I played through all of Dead Space 1 and 2, jump scares got me a couple of times but I made it just fine and I'm usually a coward about scary games

Couldn't handle Condemned though

Please play all of Dead Space aswell, such an amazing game, though I prefered the sequel

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShaggE

@benpicko said:

Because providing witty commentary, editing, uploading, etc. etc. for entire game after entire game in rapid succession is a LOT of work.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#14  Edited By alistercat

Screw you Matt, I loved the Sphere grid system.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By MooseyMcMan

NOTHING STOPS THE FEAR GAUNTLET!

Edit: As much as I love the Dead Space games, they aren't really scary, so I'm personally in favor of moving on to the next game on the list.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Rekt_Hed

I'm not sure if I can watch any more dead space after completing it 5 times to get the platinum trophy...

....ok just this once guys ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The scariest part in deadspace is the first encounter with an alien, you already played it. NEXT

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By probablytuna

Was excited to see you guys play Dead Space, but it doesn't have the level of entertainment that Condemned offered.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lightsoda

@ShaggE said:

@benpicko said:

Because providing witty commentary, editing, uploading, etc. etc. for entire game after entire game in rapid succession is a LOT of work.

Indeed, that would take a lot of effort and time. But it did cross my mind that maybe this was what they were talking about when they mentioned that a new ER was coming. Because Condemned seemed to just keep going.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Space is my GOTY 2008.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#21  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Dead Space is fun times, but skip over to the next game. The only shocked noises I was making during this were when you just walked right past item lockers and green boxes without checking them. It's not going to matter too much in a game like Dead Space, but still.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deusx

Dead Space is really scary if you get the atmosphere to get you. That´s a game that´s meant to be played alone at night with headphones. For you guys it wont be that scary but it´s definitely an amazing game.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gamb1t

yeah buddy, i wasnt even watchen the condemned ones way to played out.

det

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By det

Dead space is an awesome game, but Matt having already played through the game takes a bit away from enjoyment. Still a great episode tho guys, good job.

And the ffx sphere grid rocked, Kessler.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DougQuaid

Matt, Steve, make us whole again.

Queue Sigur Ros!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By natetodamax

Dead Space is scary when you are playing it in the dark alone with a nice headset. The problem with this series, although it is great, is that the atmosphere of a really scary game is kinda ruined when you are playing it with someone else and chatting it up while playing it. Jump scares can still get you but the little details seemed like they would get lost, which is unfortunate.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By rjayb89

Yup, this game could have been titled Jump Scare instead of Dead Space. Not that it isn't fun to play, but that's where most, if not all, of the 'scary' stuff comes from. You guys just need to get used to moving around a lot while shooting and use stasis. The biggest problems will be, for me it was at least, were those damn regenerating ones. They are the absolute worst.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By tourgen

I loved Dead Space. The zero g stuff was great fun. Some jump scares and random creepiness with the religious cult stuff. Fantastic use of lighting. I loved the bridge - the lighting, the 3D design and look. But, not a really scary game to me.

Actually I wish they would extract all of the jump-scare, dismemberment, squishy corpse, and general creepiness-for-its-own-sake and just leave me with a pure sci-fi action game. Maybe hire a real story writer and some voice actors. The planet cracking stuff was really cool. They could do something interesting with the setting if they stopped trying to ape Event Horizon.

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By obscurefan

As someone who is currently playing the game I can say that it does get scarier because the mood and sounds really start to kick in and they do some nice stuff with it. So I'd say give it another chapter or two before you decide. Also, awesome as always to see another chapter of the Fear Gauntlet. Catch Phrase for this show, "The Violins haven't stopped yet" and "Heads are indestructible."

ChuckDeNomolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ChuckDeNomolos

Dead Space, -and- a Mike Jones reference from Kessler? I love the Fear Gauntlet

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was infuriating to watch for me, firstly cause Steve was 'playing it wrong' all over the place. And again they were doing that thing of shouting (with their jokes or whatever) over the moody, atmospheric parts, and then at the end saying 'this isn't scary'. The reason Condemned was scary is because neither of them had seen much of it from before and they actually paid attention to the game's cues and followed along with the 'experience'.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are scary in the sense that (other than the jump scares) they generate a sense of dread and disturbing unease within the player over the long haul and the story beats are a big part of that; so when Kessler is screaming his head off over the opening cut-scene (just because he has already seen it before), you can't really get invested in the narrative and therefore shouldn't expect to have any emotional response to the game.

I'm not saying they should play each game in depth, but don't make up arbitrary reasons for not wanting to go on. Instead you can just say that you've played the game before and can't be bothered to do it again, and then just move on to something you do want to check out.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Sarumarine

Like a lot of people are saying, Dead Space is a fun, solid game but it's not really scary. It's more unsettling than anything else as monsters that look like people turned inside out is really gross.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By FengShuiGod

Matt and Steve need to chill a little. They talk over cutscenes/tutorials/instructions, and then spend time wandering around lost. Not to mention people who haven't played the game would probably be more interested if they knew what was going on too. I mean, can you imagine if the cutscenes were talked over this much for the ERs? They are the loudest and most obnoxious when it has been a game one of them has played. They pay attention a little more when they haven't played a game, like with Condemned, but there were still frustrating parts where they chit chat while Rosa is talking, then they don't know where to go and spend an inane amount of time looking for evidence. Take a chill pill and stop forcing jokes and screaming into the microphone (unless you are actually scared or something genuinely funny happens). Over all I love the series, and I haven't missed a video yet, but sometimes things can get... ANNOYING. I don't mean for this to seem like I have a big problem. Like I said, I am enjoying the series a lot and haven't missed an episode. Just calm down a little. /rant

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldjack327

Yeah, Dead Space doesn't really have a nice intensity curve to help foster tension and fear. It's pretty much always blasting out at 11, with occasional cool downs for puzzles. The musical stinger that lets you know when enemies are dead is useful from a gameplay perspective, but poor for fostering any lingering sense of tension. I think you guys made the right call to skip it. Love the series so far. Also, for the record, I don't mind the talking over the cutscenes, since the whole point of this series is more about your reactions to the games, rather than the games themselves. But hey, that's just my opinion. Keep up the good work guys!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

I never really got into Dead Space. I played through the first chapter, felt bored, never really felt scared, and didn't play any further.

I actually had more fun with Extraction, despite it being an on-rails shoot-uh, "guided experience."

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By KillyDarko

The anticipation for watching you guys play Amnesia is killing me-- if you think Condemned was scary, wait until you get a load of that sweet Amnesia :P

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shamroll

Boo, I was really hoping for more Dead Space. I guess I just got more fear out of it than they did.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mbr2

Too bad you guys are not gonna play any of the Penumbra games because holy shit...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Dagbiker

How far up is pokemon snap?

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 1p

Can you guys get rid of that constant low humming sound already, so I can watch these videos without my subwoofer constantly droning? Just use an equalizer.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Milkman

@FengShuiGod: @DexterKid: What these guys said. I love the series but this video was extremely annoying to watch. I don't really think Dead Space is very scary but it probably would have been a little more scary if you guys weren't just screaming jokes at each other for 45 minutes.

Raios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Raios

I certainly agree about Dead Space. It has a few good jump scares and intense moments, but the action is the real heart of the game. Now Amnesia on the other hand, holy shit. The first monster encounter in Dead Space is scary because you have no weapons; in Amnesia you don't have any weapons or ways of fighitng the enemies for the entire game.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By cornbredx

I find less joy in these when Steve is playing. Not dissing steve here, but he plays like a manic mad man and his perceptiveness is lacking. He misses some cool or obvious stuff every time he plays.

Dead Space is an awesome game, but it was probably only scary for about an hour, I have to agree with that. I don't love it because I think it's scary though. Like you and a lot of people like RE4, I like Dead Space to about that degree I'd guess. I also really like the sci/fi visuals and the Event Horizon feel (I love that movie).

So, ya. Anyway. Looking forward to the next one.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I hope you guys do a Silent Hill: Shattered Memories FG, cause that game is messed up.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cloudenvy

@AlexanderSheen said:

I hope you guys do a Silent Hill: Shattered Memories FG, cause that game is messed up.

I relistened to the GOTY 2009 podcasts here the other day, and I remembered how awesome Shattered Memories was.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By liako21

i think a silent hill game needs to be played.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By super2j

@KillyDarko: ditto on this, i still have a save spot waiting for me to go back and play it. I dont know what im supposed to do and the room is empty and i have just (saying this without spoiling anything) had to run thru a flooded area very quickly for a very scary reason, GOD DAMN using a mouse to open doors made it sooo much worse, especially cause i had a mouse pad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's the new Fear Glove?  Being without it, it burns us!

deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deadmonkeys

Whur's mah Fear Gauntlet?

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Thor_Molecules

I want to see them play Amnesia. I never really thought of Dead Space as a scary game.