#1 Posted by hollitz (1505 posts) -

On the most recent bombcast, we learned of the discomfort that the bombsquad felt while jumping off buildings in Assassin's Creed. Wondering if anyone else has had similar anxiety when playing games. Personally, the underwater levels in Mario 64 and Shadows of the Empire freaked the shit out of me. Needless to say, I've never been able to get through an Eco the Dolphin game.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

If being piss scared in Amnesia counts then yes. Cause god I can't bring myself to turn that game back on. I've played just about every horror game out there but for some reason that game man... that game just gets me.

#3 Posted by Kraank (74 posts) -

Yes one of my fears got brought out while I was playing Batman Arkham City.

Sort of spoilers I guess (It's kind of a jump scare part)

Well I have a sort of fear of life size dinosaur statues, they really creep me out. And in Arkham city when you first enter the Museum you walk down a hallway and a T-Rex statue pops out of nowhere at you. I turned around and ran halfway down the hallway before I turned back and went through with it ha ha. I spent the rest of the Museum part crouched going very slowly waiting for something else like that to happen.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

@Kraank: Did you play Bulletstorm?

#5 Edited by Pazy (2563 posts) -

I have always hated underwater stages, at least the kind with oxygen bars. As a kid I was frightened, almost petrified, by the underwater stages in Sonic the Hedgehog which was otherwise one of my favourite games of my childhood. Those same fears are brought up specifically in Sonic 2/3 and Knuckles. Recently I had the pleasure to play Sonic CD for the frist time since it came out on the download services, those underwater stages caused great discomfort for me even still.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another specific example is Tomb Raider 2. I have never completed that game because I got to the underwater stage and simply drowned, I tried it enough times and never even had a hope of figuring out where to go. I have never completed that game, I doubt I ever will.

#6 Posted by Branthog (7591 posts) -

The only thing that qualifies for me are heights. I hate heights, in games. I mean, fifty feet up, is fine. But the ridiculous heights some games require you to go to and then the complex acrobatics they require (and the ease with which you can fucking fall and have to start all over again) makes my heart race and is sometimes almost enough for me to just put the fucking game down out of frustration. I'm particularly thinking of certain multiplayer levels that happen in space or up high (like in Q3Arena) or the climbing in Infamous.

#7 Edited by DeadpoolSkye (14 posts) -

I get a slight anxiety when it turns night time in games. When I was younger, I was always made to be home before the street lights went out. Something bad was going to happen no matter what after it got dark. I used to be terrified of the night time. Nowadays, I'm no longer scared of that, however when I'm playing games with a day night mechanic, I start getting more frantic when the night starts coming. Once night hits, I'm fine. It's just the act of witnessing the dusk turn into night. I realized it with Fallout 3 and then realized it was almost every game where that transition occurred. It's odd.

I used to think I did it with Majora's Mask until I realized everyone freaked out because they have 12 less hours to do everything with. :P

#8 Edited by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -

Needles Fucking Needles, not that I ever did or ever will play it but the QL of the Saw games with their Toilets full of needles fuck them and the scene from Saw 2 when the girl was pushed into a fucking pit of them FUCK ThAT!

#9 Posted by wemibelec90 (1629 posts) -

Underwater waters always make me a bit antsy but I have no fear of water in real life. A bit antsy with heights in reality but it never really bothers me in a video game. Strange how those work...

#10 Edited by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

Underwater levels, but only in 3 dimensional games. Being deep under water to the point where it's dark and not being able to see the shit swimming around you is probably the most terrifying thing I can think of. There is only a couple of times I can recall specifically at the moment...one being the giant slaughterfish room from Oblivion (I'm pretty sure it was during the theives guild mission where you go through the "Old Way" to get to the Elder Scroll), and two being the underwater eel boss from Twilight Princess. Shit makes me so anxious.

It doesnt bother me at all in 2D games, and it's really only in 3D games once it starts to get dark.

#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Normally I don't mind needles but Dead Space 2 and the "Hey, stick this needle in your own eye now. Be careful not to fuck up though" was super creepy

#12 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Kraank said:

Yes one of my fears got brought out while I was playing Batman Arkham City.

Sort of spoilers I guess (It's kind of a jump scare part)

Well I have a sort of fear of life size dinosaur statues, they really creep me out. And in Arkham city when you first enter the Museum you walk down a hallway and a T-Rex statue pops out of nowhere at you. I turned around and ran halfway down the hallway before I turned back and went through with it ha ha. I spent the rest of the Museum part crouched going very slowly waiting for something else like that to happen.

Yeah, that dinosaur statue makes me jump every time I enter that room.

#13 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

Spiders, can't play games with them.

#14 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Catherine would've probably had given me a chance to rethink my deep-seated fear of commitment and maturation if they actually gave me a reason to care about Katherine (a.k.a. cold, boring, uppity bitch).

#15 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

@JacDG said:

This. Dragon Age was maddening to get through. I'm dreading the thought of fighting them in Skyrim.

#16 Posted by Blackout62 (1338 posts) -

Scorpions, can't play Fallout 3 after a certain point.

#17 Posted by supermike6 (3557 posts) -

Anything with larger-than-average bugs. Shit freaks me out so bad; I end up huddling into a little ball on my couch because I'm afraid something's going to crawl up my legs.

Surprisingly, I couldn't give less of a shit about bugs in real life.

#18 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -
@JacDG said:

The spiders in Uncharted 3. I fucking hate spiders. Oh and any underwater level that has a monster, Half Life 1 stands out in particular.
#19 Posted by Jeust (10552 posts) -

I fear walking alone in foggy nights, due to my experiences in Silent Hill. 

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6448 posts) -

Swimming, but only if the swimming controls are so terrible that the character swims as poorly as I do in real life. So basically just the swimming controls in Metal Gear Solid 2. Those were so utterly terribly, and the camera was zoomed in so close you could barely keep track of where you actually were. I guess you could say they accurately captured how much it would suck to have to swim and navigate your way through a half-sunken building.

#21 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6155 posts) -

I can't do horror games with waves of enemies coming at me in narrow, confined places, which is unfortunately almost all of them. That feeling like I'm trapped with no way out and things are coming to get me.... brrrrrrr. It's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it. That only really applies to horror games specifically, which is sort of odd. I'm good with things similar to Horde modes or the like. But throw in just a splash of creepy atmosphere and music, and I'll have genuine nightmares about it.

I only really have that feeling with video games, too. There's something about actually being in control of the character that makes it all the worse.

#22 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

This is an easy one. The fear that my eyes will go bad, like obviously the rest of the world.

That every time I turn around, its supposed to be blurry? And oh yeah! Apparently grain is supposed to look 'natural'

#23 Posted by Shirogane (3569 posts) -

@thechronodarkness: You just need to turn up the settings on reality! Set everything to high damnit, not low.

Fear of dieing? It's more a fear of having to redo the whole section i just did though.

#24 Edited by Castiel (2578 posts) -

Dark water. Any games that features dark murky water, where you have to walk or swim in it especially... I always feel like someone or something is watching me or going to attack me at anytime.

That's also why I found the water creature in Shadow of the Colossus extremely creepy.

#25 Edited by PenguinDust (12493 posts) -

My fear of heights makes it very difficult for me to play games where I am walking and climbing very high. I often have to take breaks while playing games like Uncharted, Crackdown 1, and similar games where you can plummet to your death. I get physically nervous and have a tightness in my chest. Anxiety builds up and I need to look away from the screen to get my bearings. Sometimes I get nauseous. Obviously, I won't even touch Mirror's Edge.

Of course, all this doesn't mean that I don't play many of these games. I just need to take precautions or I get sick.

#26 Posted by hollitz (1505 posts) -

@Castiel: Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot about that one. Definitely had me squirming. Especially when you run out of grip meter underwater. Ug.

#27 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

Underwater waters always make me a bit antsy but I have no fear of water in real life. A bit antsy with heights in reality but it never really bothers me in a video game. Strange how those work...

I agree about the water part, most water levels/events in games makes me feel so helpless.

#28 Posted by Dagbiker (6971 posts) -

I fear losing, so I start games, on easy, get 3/4 through them then, when the diffulcty ramps up, stop playing them.

#29 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

I have entomophobia. Thankfully, bugs in video games very rarely bother me, but there have certainly been instances where I've had issues: the giant mosquitoes in Demon's Souls made me feel really uncomfortable, and when going through the cave full of Novistadors in Resident Evil 4 I was so tense I couldn't breathe and had to keep pausing the game to calm down.

#30 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

After playing Skyrim I now have a crippling fear of seeing my friends getting stuck inside geometry while carrying a bunch of my expensive-ass stuff. That and talking dogs.

#31 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Bethesda's weird obsession with making you fight giant bugs scares the shit out of me. I don't mind bugs in general but giant evil grasshoppers is too much for me

#32 Posted by ApeGantz (217 posts) -

Fallout 3 in super high graphics and with hd texture mods; on a huge hd screen. Specifically Rad Roaches and scorpions.

FUCKING UGH!!

#33 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

No but I wish they did. I scared of heights in real life.

#34 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -
#35 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

Though it makes me chuckle at the idea, I find being scared by spiders (virtual or otherwise) interesting. I'm not making fun of phobias, but going as far as to patch out spiders from a game is kind of funny.

#36 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

I've got no problem with water irl, because I know there's nothing in there. This however changes in games. It's not about underwater levels or anything, but about big murky lakes/sea/oceans where I can't see a thing. I always end up thinking about a small animal that swims atop, while something gigantic and nasty is closing in from beneath preparing to drag me down. I hate it.

#37 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

this, I cringe every time I have to go against spiders, I'm not joking at all. I fucking hate it.

#38 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@hollitz said:

Shadows of the Empire freaked the shit out of me.

I was about to say nothing but now that you mentioned that game I also really felt uncomfortable in the sewer part.