Feedback please?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Edited By Hamz

So kids, been awhile since I last blogged or even made a topic on the forums (other than stickies, or "anchors" as they sometimes get called). Seems a lot of my time has been in the IRC or moderating the boards as of late. I failed at my goal to try and reach 5000 points by the end of 2008 which sucks. So I have set a new goal for myself, reach 5000 points by the end of January this year! we'll see how it goes, I don't think I'm that far off but considering my level of procrastination its still a tough goal to achieve.

But now that I've got you reading I guess I should be honest and reveal the real purpose of this blog to you all. As some, I'd hope most, of you may know we have two FAQ guides posted on the site to provide users some information on the Forum and Wiki here at GiantBomb. They've been up for awhile now and users can find the links to them in the 'Defusing the Bomb' sticky [LINK] which is visible in the 'Newest Topics" area of the forums.

However theres not been a lot of feedback on the Forum FAQ itself and I was hoping the community could perhaps take some time to read it and then report back with any feedback on the guide. Is there anything you would like added? Anything that you think needs editing so its easier to understand etc. Just some general constructive feedback on the Forum FAQ would be good. Especially now that we have a large number of new users and the fact it will be getting an edit later on today from me to include information about the new features to the forum.

So roll out GiantBomb, read the Forum FAQ and get back to me with some feedback and either reply here or send it to my inbox!

Hamz

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hamz

So kids, been awhile since I last blogged or even made a topic on the forums (other than stickies, or "anchors" as they sometimes get called). Seems a lot of my time has been in the IRC or moderating the boards as of late. I failed at my goal to try and reach 5000 points by the end of 2008 which sucks. So I have set a new goal for myself, reach 5000 points by the end of January this year! we'll see how it goes, I don't think I'm that far off but considering my level of procrastination its still a tough goal to achieve.

But now that I've got you reading I guess I should be honest and reveal the real purpose of this blog to you all. As some, I'd hope most, of you may know we have two FAQ guides posted on the site to provide users some information on the Forum and Wiki here at GiantBomb. They've been up for awhile now and users can find the links to them in the 'Defusing the Bomb' sticky [LINK] which is visible in the 'Newest Topics" area of the forums.

However theres not been a lot of feedback on the Forum FAQ itself and I was hoping the community could perhaps take some time to read it and then report back with any feedback on the guide. Is there anything you would like added? Anything that you think needs editing so its easier to understand etc. Just some general constructive feedback on the Forum FAQ would be good. Especially now that we have a large number of new users and the fact it will be getting an edit later on today from me to include information about the new features to the forum.

So roll out GiantBomb, read the Forum FAQ and get back to me with some feedback and either reply here or send it to my inbox!

Hamz

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By OGCartman

Great to see your bloggin again their HamZ :)

Well iv only got two beefs with the FAQs, everything else is great.

• No explicit discussions about sex, illegal drugs or other illegal activities such as downloading warez or illegal music or movies.  This includes discussion about cracks or other means to bypass copy protection.This includes posting links to torrents aswell.

"explicit" isnt good enough. We need a clear definition. As in "should marijuana be legalized" vs "what did you do on new years" if someone answered i blazed with a few friends and hit up a party. I dont seem the problem in talking about drugs, to a low or political extent. The staff should really polish that rule.

• No spamming, double or triple posting.  This includes cross-posting threads in order to gain exposure.  Posts with links to news articles, videos, or images without commentary of your own will be treated as spam.

this one is alot less serious than the other one i named, and means alot less, but, no double posting? seriously? Iv seen you mods double post...., whats the big deal?

My two cents :D

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

If you're going to shoot for 5000 points by the end of January...I think I'll have to shoot for 10,000 point by the end of January!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

1. You should update the moderators thought of the week. It hasn't been updated since the when the thread was started.
2. The "how do i turn off blog posts and off topic" section of the forum guide should be updated to include articles and the other forums you can now turn off using the preferences feature.
3. The introduction to the forum FAQ should link to the terms and conditions, wiki FAQ and the general FAQ in the same way that the wiki FAQ does.
4. The multiple accounts section of the forum should have advice on what to do if you had an alternate account in the past (which I guess would be to just ignore it and forget about it).
5. The Plagiarism part of the "what do they deny?" section should perhaps mention that even if the user wrote the article but they submitted it somewhere else (e.g. wikipedia) they still shouldn't submit it to GB because you want everything to be unique.

But really, all of these points are nitpicky. You guys have done a great job on the FAQs.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb

I haven't even reached 1,000 points! How much does that suck? But good luck, Hamz!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hamz
Cartman said:
  • No explicit discussions about sex, illegal drugs or other illegal activities such as downloading warez or illegal music or movies.  This includes discussion about cracks or other means to bypass copy protection.This includes posting links to torrents aswell.

"explicit" isnt good enough. We need a clear definition. As in "should marijuana be legalized" vs "what did you do on new years" if someone answered i blazed with a few friends and hit up a party. I dont seem the problem in talking about drugs, to a low or political extent. The staff should really polish that rule.
I can see how that may confuse some people as their opinion differs on what is considered explicit or not. What we want to avoid really is people explaining how to aquire, prepare and use illegal drugs. Saying you got high at a party is ok providing you don't really decide to give us all the details of what it felt like and how you managed to aquire the drug(s). Its vague for a reason as its a topic of discussion that can be civil and intellectually discussed such as the legality of various drugs or illegality in most cases. Same goes for the topic of sex, I wouldn't necessarily moderate someone for saying something like "went to a party, invited this girl back to mine, she stayed for breakfast ;)". But to tell everyone what position and surfaces you did the act on isn't needed at all.

Cartman said:
  • No spamming, double or triple posting.  This includes cross-posting threads in order to gain exposure.  Posts with links to news articles, videos, or images without commentary of your own will be treated as spam.

this one is alot less serious than the other one i named, and means alot less, but, no double posting? seriously? Iv seen you mods double post...., whats the big deal?"
An obscure rule because it doesn't happen all that often, but when it does happen it can be very annoying. There are people out there who don't realise they can quote multiple people in on post or edit their post to include more quotes. Sometimes you get a person who notices 10 replies to a topic and they want to comment on each reply but instead of doing it all in one post they decide to create a seperate reply for each quoted comment. Thus spamming up a topic with multiple replies one after the other which should of all been one big reply to a topic. Imagine if you will that instead of copying these two quotes of yours and replying to them in the same post I replied to one quote, posted it and then replied to the second and posted my reply. It would look stupid and spam this topic. There is also the issue of "bumping" topics and that falls under the "double or triple posting" rule aswell. While bumping isn't necessarily outlawed here it isn't really cool to find someone constantly replying to a topic just to "bump it to the top" for exposure.

I agree that the double + triple posting rule could perhaps do with some rewording. I'll get to it later, right now I'm going to try and gather some feedback so when I do get round to editing the FAQ guide later I can do a bunch of edits.

Cheers for the feedback!

MattyFTM said:
"1. You should update the moderators thought of the week. It hasn't been updated since the when the thread was started.
2. The "how do i turn off blog posts and off topic" section of the forum guide should be updated to include articles and the other forums you can now turn off using the preferences feature.
3. The introduction to the forum FAQ should link to the terms and conditions, wiki FAQ and the general FAQ in the same way that the wiki FAQ does.
4. The multiple accounts section of the forum should have advice on what to do if you had an alternate account in the past (which I guess would be to just ignore it and forget about it).
5. The Plagiarism part of the "what do they deny?" section should perhaps mention that even if the user wrote the article but they submitted it somewhere else (e.g. wikipedia) they still shouldn't submit it to GB because you want everything to be unique.

But really, all of these points are nitpicky. You guys have done a great job on the FAQs."
1.) Agreed, I may just add in one ridiculous thought of my own. There will be plans in the future to make use of that sticky one day I imagine.
2.) Yep the guide has some older information in it that could do with an update.
3.) Intro's are always difficult things, I'll try and get it worded better.
4.) Yeah this is something that could do with being addressed as we do have a stance on that situation.
5.) I wasn't really looking for Wiki FAQ feedback, thats really more in the hands of the Wiki Mods. But thats a really good point and one issue that crops up more than expected so I'll pass it on.

They aren't nitpicky at all. Infact thanks for pointing them out!
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brukaoru

Hey Hamz, I looked over this FAQ before and I think something that needs to be added would be the issue of users bumping really old threads, specifically threads that have the original poster asking a question and has had it  answered already.

Really good FAQ though. :)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

I am unhappy about the drugs thing also. I think members should have the freedom to discuss drugs openly here, I know I myself and many others have in relevant threads. Serious discussion is a good thing, I think it's backward not to be able to discuss it.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Kush said:
"If you're going to shoot for 5000 points by the end of January...I think I'll have to shoot for 10,000 point by the end of January!"
And I gotta shoot for 15000 points by the end of January ;)
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Endogene

Best way to gain points fast is to play the game while editing. That's the way i do it anyway. It the reason why some game pages i have around a 1000 points. (yeah imagine figure skater is the game i have the most points... lot to say about that game, pretty complex).

By doing it this way you can easily get around 2K a day.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thordain

5000 points! You're a madman Hamz, it can't be done!

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By OGCartman

Ahh, got it, thanks for the answers.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rowr

you already fixed the bit i took issue with :P

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Optiow

My goal is to get at least 1 point, only thing is I don't know how to get them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hamz said:
"Same goes for the topic of sex, I wouldn't necessarily moderate someone for saying something like "went to a party, invited this girl back to mine, she stayed for breakfast ;)". But to tell everyone what position and surfaces you did the act on isn't needed at all."

But it'd be fun! :)

Which document are we talking about?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hamz

Forum FAQ is updated with the feedback provided as best I could.

Any more suggestions then continue to post here or send it to my inbox!

link

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Jayge_

Your boobs could be a bit more perky.

Also, you should tell people how to post blogs without making them post to the forums, because a lot of people make "spam topics" and have them locked because they don't know that they can navigate away.