• 82 results
Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Wraxend

I feel sorry for those who have no idea about video games but are having to make purchasing decisions for others. This is down to my sister who went to pre-order a PS4 for her boyfriend for Christmas the other day at our local Game, I had offered to go but was at work at the time. Anyway she knew what games he liked and told this to the shop assistant to which he recommended Knack as he described it as a cross between Fable and Minecraft, which are two of her boyfriends favourite games. He then tried to get her to pre-order a Xbox One instead as he told her that all the Japanese developers had signed exclusive deals with Microsoft to make JRPG's just for the Xbox. Luckily she just pre-ordered the PS4 with Knack and we where able to go into the store today and alter that to AC4. But man I can only imagine the sort of shit that gets told to unknowing customers just so these stores can make a sale.

Anybody ever have this happen to a family member or friend and had to step in to help them make the more informed decision? I suspect a few people in my town may be disappointed when they play the cross between Fable and Minecraft that is Knack.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Fable x Minecraft... that's hilarious.

Yeah I have to do this with my friends at times because I am by far the nerd out of the group, don't really have any nerdy friends. One of my friends is into NBA 2K14 and saw the next gen PS4 sponsored trailer, which misleadingly suggests "THIS IS ALL POSSIBLE WITH THE POWER OF THE PS4", sort of suggesting it isn't with Xbox One. He said to me "wow, Xbox one doesn't get these animations or the emotions on the players faces and stuff, I'm getting a PS4 instead" when he wanted an Xbox before and I had to tell him that was all crap, that the two versions are identical.

Gamestop (or any similar store's) employee's giving advice is the worst. If you just walk into one this time of year and listen to them talking to your average mom buyer you're going to hear some real nonsense like that Knack description.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

When I worked at Gamestop, I tried to not be "that guy".

I didn't get very far.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I didn't get very far.

Hey AB, you put on a pretty good live show in Michigan last week.

...anyway. I had the pleasure of breaking the news to my stepdad that the PS4 doesn't play PS3 games. He thought that was stupid, he thought Sony was being lazy because the WiiU plays Wii games. He really just wants to play Skyrim and doesn't want to buy an old system just for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I feel sorry for no one who refuses to inform themselves. It's not like information about popular entertainment products is difficult to acquire in 2013.

I wish she had bought Knack and had received a negative reaction from it. That would help explain why you should not believe everything you hear from a single source.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A cross between Fable and Minecraft?

Brilliant

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like working at a game retailer where my metrics rely far more on signing people up for high interest credit cards than sales. It let's me be far more honest about the products.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah i've overheard Gamestop employees giving out some questionable advice, but if I heard something Absolutely incorrect I might intervene.

I remember when the Kinect first came out, I had gotten one and was at a BestBuy looking at what was available, and this old woman (maybe 65) was looking at the kinect games as well, and she picked up a copy of "DanceMasters" and I just Had to cut in and advise her to try Dance Central instead. It felt good to help those in need.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By gaminghooligan

@altonbrown said:

I didn't get very far.

Same here it led to me finding another job

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

those kind of stores use to be fun when I was a 20 something. In that any informed gamer can see through their lies and even have fun with them. After awhile it get's old and when you just want to pick up a game but still have to listen to lies and preorder pitches, you realize why amazon is so popular.

luckily I was able to find a core gamers mom and pop style store near my new house in LA. I canceled my Gamefly just so I could support them.

I'm surprised their hasn't been a cartoon parody of video game stores yet. They are just such horrible places.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignorance is bliss ( trust me)

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid, some store clerk talked my mom into getting me this fucking horrible 3d pacman platformer. I played it for hours 'cus I love my mom and it was super nice that she got it for me, but god it was so bad. I don't see how anyone could have honestly recommended it.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recommendation seemed reasonable, shorter jump from Minecraft/Fable to Knack then to AC4.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't follow. So you feel sorry for everyone who had a video game bought for them as a gift?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio: No, it's not victim blaming, it's _a reasonable standard of personal responsibility_. Refusing to spend absolutely any effort, even the most reasonable amount, whatsoever to prevent your own victimization actually does make people retract sympathy. Entering a store with absolutely zero knowledge about the product you aim to buy and then believing absolutely everything the seller tells you, expecting that the seller will have your best interests in mind, and expecting sympathy when you get taken advantage of? Honestly, what would you expect? Is absolute honesty and extensive product knowledge really something we should expect of minimum wage employees, or is there a reasonable standard of personal responsibility we should expect?

The phrase caveat emptor exists for reasons. This person is not a child, we expect adults to be responsible for themselves.

Edit: I will never get tired of having my ethics questioned by people who feel comfortable throwing 'retard' around in a serious discussion.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So I was going to make a poll about this but since we have this thread gotta ask: If you see a stranger getting bad advice from a store clerk about vidya games do you interject?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

@levio: The victim should have realized that on the internet there are things called 'search engines' and when you want to know how good something is, you type the name of that thing and then 'review'.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I can't, I'm too busy feeling sorry for myself. I only have so much pity to express, dammit!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's called moving product.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@levio: The victim should have realized that on the internet there are things called 'search engines' and when you want to know how good something is, you type the name of that thing and then 'review'.

Here's a helpful example!

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@levio: No, it's not victim blaming, it's _a reasonable standard of personal responsibility_. Refusing to spend absolutely any effort, even the most reasonable amount, whatsoever to prevent your own victimization actually does make people retract sympathy. Entering a store with absolutely zero knowledge about the product you aim to buy and then believing absolutely everything the seller tells you, expecting that the seller will have your best interests in mind, and expecting sympathy when you get taken advantage of? Honestly, what would you expect? Is absolute honesty and extensive product knowledge really something we should expect of minimum wage employees, or is there a reasonable standard of personal responsibility we should expect?

The phrase caveat emptor exists for reasons. This person is not a child, we expect adults to be responsible for themselves.

Edit: I will never get tired of having my ethics questioned by people who feel comfortable throwing 'retard' around in a serious discussion.

Yep, but in today's society people can't be held responsible for themselves.

A guy just died of a drug overdose and the family is looking to sue the drug dealer for giving the guy a lethal dose!

A woman spilled coffee on herself and got burned and sued McDonald's...

Personal Responsibility has largely been nulled by these people. The same level of people that attempt to question your ethics by calling you a retard. lol

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Eh, I do feel bad for people still making decisions on months old information or who just don't know better and get taken by bad employees.

However this generation seems pretty even in terms of hardware and I imagine many games won't be console exclusive, or at least not permanently.

Either choice is a valid one and her boyfriend will probably still find something to play on both.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

Perhaps not the point of this thread but.... that woman was actually completely justified in suing McDonald's. They kept their coffee at an absolutely unreasonable, unnecessary temperature, and it directly led to that woman receiving third degree burns to her legs and pelvis. Coffee does not need to be hot enough to give someone third degree burns in seconds. It's actually a pretty textbook case when explaining how civil negligence suits work. I'm taking time to explain it simply because it's such a common misunderstanding of the case.

That case is not a good instance of someone not taking reasonable responsibility, it's used more to highlight activist sentencing whose scope is far greater than the wrongdoing (as in, the judge awarded her an incredible amount of money), contributing to a noticeable creeping up of awards and overall expense and impact of litigious procedures.

But there it is right there; there is a reasonable amount of responsibility one should be expected to have for one's self, and when a situation crosses it, it's actually victimization. As opposed to what my fellow millennials appear to believe; that there is no personal responsibility, and everything victimizes everyone.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised, I was told at a Gamestop that Red Faction Guerrilla was not an open world action game (I told him I was having open world fatigue when he kept pestering me about giving me game advice and he suggested that game). They can't even half way into a conversation figure out whether they're talking to someone informed or not so they treat everyone like an idiot. That's half of the reason why I've made a point to never again set foot in a Game/Gamestop type of store. The other half is just pre-opened cases and stickers they put on after the purchase that you have to peel off with fire and the idea of disc insurance, because apparently I have wild cats that may or may not throw my console around when it's running a game and after that it's all downhill and I'm stuck! Gees, I don't really hate a lot of things, but those stores just get under my skin.

But really, she should just have went in there and preordered what she was going to preorder and told the clerk to fuck off.

@demoskinos said:

So I was going to make a poll about this but since we have this thread gotta ask: If you see a stranger getting bad advice from a store clerk about vidya games do you interject?

No, because I don't visit those stores. But in the hypothetical event that I might be in such a situation, it all depends. Maybe for fun.

Whamola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Whamola

@budwyzer said:

I don't mean to call you out, but this lady gets mentioned constantly when people talk about frivolous lawsuits and its unfair.

The coffee she bought was from a machine that was either broken or not set correctly. Yeah, she spilled the coffee, but it was served incorrectly by McDonald's. The coffee was so hot it basically peeled huge chunks of her skin off, fused her genitals shut, and required skin grafts (there are pictures online). Originally she only wanted assistance paying the medical bills, but McDonald's was basically acting like nothing was wrong. Her kids took it to court I believe, and the original settlement was pretty large, but it was continually reduced afterwards, so she really didn't get all that much money.

Sorry for the derail.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gonmog

@earlygrab666: What is the place called?! I moved near la a few months ago and id love to have a mom and pop shop to get games from!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

http://www.businessreviewusa.com/money_matters/holiday-horror-five-potential-profit-killers-to-avoid-for-holiday-2013

See #4.

#4: Uninformed Employees

Even in a world where digital marketing is more prevalent and important than ever, employees are still an effective, often essential sales touch point. When customers have a good experience in store, it means great things for your business; when they don’t it means you wind up with a nasty Yelp or Google product review and a dent in your sales.

Therefore, it’s a real disappointment when employees are rude or unhelpful to customers, creating an unpleasant overall customer experience.

One recent example of employee affecting sales is the treatment of a secret shopper trying out Nintendo’s new Wii U, who reported that multiple retail employees told her, “'Well, there's no difference between the Wii and Wii U.’" (there is, by the way) and implied she should buy the original, 7-year-old Wii instead of the new product!

I had this happen to me while looking for a Wii U at Target last year. "We have the Wii, it is the same thing!" >:(

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"victim"

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense. When you sell drugs to unknowing customers you don't tell them what it actually is, you just tell them it's the best thing ever. That's the street mentality, that's the shit you gotta do to survive on these mean streets.

I don't fell sorry for the uninformed, because the information isn't locked away. It's available to everyone for almost nothing, it's not locked away in some secret library only accessible to the select few chosen by the illuminati...

oh and it's not victim blaming, this isn't anywhere on the same level, don't be stupid now.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

Perhaps not the point of this thread but.... that woman was actually completely justified in suing McDonald's. They kept their coffee at an absolutely unreasonable, unnecessary temperature, and it directly led to that woman receiving third degree burns to her legs and pelvis. Coffee does not need to be hot enough to give someone third degree burns in seconds. It's actually a pretty textbook case when explaining how civil negligence suits work. I'm taking time to explain it simply because it's such a common misunderstanding of the case.

That case is not a good instance of someone not taking reasonable responsibility, it's used more to highlight activist sentencing whose scope is far greater than the wrongdoing (as in, the judge awarded her an incredible amount of money), contributing to a noticeable creeping up of awards and overall expense and impact of litigious procedures.

She also initially only sued for McDonald's to cover her medical expenses but they only offered her something like $800 so she sued for quite a bit more. The coffee was almost 200 degrees and she was in the hospital for 8 days and lost 20 pounds. She also had another 2 years of medical treatment following the incident. She was totally justified in suing them.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I used to walk into my local game there would be the one or 2 guys who would try and help me out but im only ever browsing for a good deal or something awesome in the preowned section. The last year I just walk in there with headphones and that usually means they never bother me.

The only time ive noticed something was when a clerk was helping a mother out for a kids game and he did a pretty good job suggesting something mario related (wii). There was one time I was pretty shocked a dude with 2 5ish year old kids were browsing the preowned section and he asked what games they would want, when they came to him with halo he suggested gears of war for them, i smiled as they turned it down and stuck with halo. That might have been a moment where I would have suggested he play that game in his own time.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid, some store clerk talked my mom into getting me this fucking horrible 3d pacman platformer. I played it for hours 'cus I love my mom and it was super nice that she got it for me, but god it was so bad. I don't see how anyone could have honestly recommended it.

Awww, you're a good person =)

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember this time a couple years ago I was in Gamestop and I overheard an employee telling a customer that Xbox 360 games were 1080p and PS3 games weren't because "blu ray read speed was slower than dvd". The only part of that statement with any truth was the read speed bit, but I found it hilarious that this guy projecting himself as an expert really thought every 360 game was 1080p simply because they are all upscaled. He also clearly didn't even understand what resolution meant if he was under the impression disc speed had anything to do with it.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theres also things like that south park episode that aired this week that stated things such as "the xbox one has better frame rates" and " ps4 does not have seamless switching between games and movies" and the only information it gave on the ps4 was "it has a touch pad". i don't care about south park any more and ive not finished the episode and im sure its commentary on people taking sides in a console war but for people who are not informed about the subject the episode just looks like a advert for xbox one and not everything in it is true .

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel sorry for no one who refuses to inform themselves. It's not like information about popular entertainment products is difficult to acquire in 2013.

I disagree. There is a reasonable expectation that the salesperson is knowledgeable and will actually serve the customer in a way to be useful (also known as The Opposite of Best Buy Principle). You also assume that the place you are going isn't going to be unscrupulous and outright lie to you about a product. That's how a business builds goodwill, which clearly a lot of places aren't interested in doing. The employees of these places should be used to these types of unknowing customers and how to properly assist them, not use them as some sort of target to see how much bullshit they can feed them and what they can be tricked into buying

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Well shit. I bought knack.burn me at the stake i guess.too stupid to live.

P.s. Where can i buy Minecraft X Fable?

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Twisted_Scot

For the first time I ran into this situation from the other way round. I went into the Xbox One store to have a look at everything and try out the demo's. I was trying out Forza and overheard the Xbox staff talking to a guy in his 30s (the age is not relevant for the story as I'm also in my 30s). The guy was telling her how he is a big fan of the Xbox and he loved playing the Gran Turismo games on it, he then looked over to the wall that had Killer instinct and a kinect wave race demo playing with a BF4 video playing on the back wall and commented "I see the new Halo game is out too" and expressed his excitement.

The girl was left with level of confusion over her face that was hysterical but just nodded and said, "then you will probably enjoy Forza 5 as it is pretty similar to Gran Turismo" and brought him over to the stand. I didn't get the feeling he was trying to be funny, he seemed genuine.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was in Best Buy last week (Lego Marvel Superheros!) listening to an employee confidently, nay, emphatically tell a customer: "The XBox One, or any Microsoft product, will never be able to use or play Blu-Ray. Sony owns Blu-Ray and would never allow a Microsoft product to use that technology".

I was close to butting in but then I was all like... eh, whatever. I feel bad for the uninformed but honestly I feel worse for a lot of the people on boards like these - the uninformed who think they're informed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses said:

@brodehouse said:

I disagree. There is a reasonable expectation that the salesperson is knowledgeable and will actually serve the customer in a way to be useful (also known as The Opposite of Best Buy Principle). You also assume that the place you are going isn't going to be unscrupulous and outright lie to you about a product. That's how a business builds goodwill, which clearly a lot of places aren't interested in doing. The employees of these places should be used to these types of unknowing customers and how to properly assist them, not use them as some sort of target to see how much bullshit they can feed them and what they can be tricked into buying

I absolutely agree that places being unscrupulous and lying to you is unacceptable, however there's a difference between lying and not telling the truth; intent. I would fully believe that store clerks spouting nonsense can spout it in a completely genuine manner. Some people are just ignorant and broadcast it. I was originally saying that the woman should have applied some critical thinking and some study rather than taking a single, possibly reputable person's advice as automatically correct. Because of course she should have.

And in defense of the hourly retail employee; they're being paid jack all to do custodial and logistical stuff in addition to run a register, I don't expect them to be my broker for minimum wage. If we expect gas station attendants to have the knowledge of mechanics, they should be paid like mechanics.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses said:

@brodehouse said:

I absolutely agree that places being unscrupulous and lying to you is unacceptable, however there's a difference between lying and not telling the truth; intent. I would fully believe that store clerks spouting nonsense can spout it in a completely genuine manner. Some people are just ignorant and broadcast it. I was originally saying that the woman should have applied some critical thinking and some study rather than taking a single, possibly reputable person's advice as automatically correct. Because of course she should have.

And in defense of the hourly retail employee; they're being paid jack all to do custodial and logistical stuff in addition to run a register, I don't expect them to be my broker for minimum wage. If we expect gas station attendants to have the knowledge of mechanics, they should be paid like mechanics.

Well of course expecting a gas station attendant to answer your question about mechanics isn't really a good idea. But if I go to a garage, I expect them be able to help me and only offer the services I need at a reasonable... oh wait

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss

@brodehouse said:

Amen. Maybe it's just because I'm an almost 40 year old man, but I'm always astounded by people who think it's a Gamestop employee's job to make sure they go home happy.

"Excuse me waiter, what do you recommend?"

"Well sir, the baked salmon is quite lovely"

"Salmon eh? Never heard of it. I'll try that"

"Here you go sir, I hope it's to your liking"

"WTF! This is fish! Salmon is fish?! I hate fish you asshole waiter!!"

If you walk into a store and buy something you never heard of based on a minimum wage employee's recommendation you get what you get and you have no one to blame but yourself. They're not getting paid to do research.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me feel pretty blessed that the dudes that work in my local branch of GAME are all good guys. I purposefully go there to buy games rather than amazon just so I can go in and banter with them for a few minutes.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I didn't get very far.

My best friend worked at EB during the transition to Gamestop. He went from loving the job to hating it. Shilling mags, memberships, and preorders with every purchase and having to recommend sponsored games made him eventually quit. Yes, GS has specific games that are sponsored that the employees have to push no matter what the person's preferences. "Oh, you like racing games? Then you will love BF4."

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I have tried to inform my dear mother about places like Metacritic to get a good idea of whether a game is worth buying or not and how that's completely different than, say, movie reviews which are all over the place but I'd still get real duds all the time when she decided to be nice and buy a fun-looking game for us. Made me feel bad that I hated the game so much, but...Frogger: The Great Quest and Disney Sports Skateboarding were both so atrocious they were painful. At least I was able to talk her into buying Sly Cooper and Kingdom Hearts back in the day, but I never leave buying decisions of games up to her since she staunchly refuses to inform herself beyond what a sales clerk says or what the packaging looks like.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DeadpanCakes

For the first time I ran into this situation from the other way round. I went into the Xbox One store to have a look at everything and try out the demo's. I was trying out Forza and overheard the Xbox staff talking to a guy in his 30s (the age is not relevant for the story as I'm also in my 30s). The guy was telling her how he is a big fan of the Xbox and he loved playing the Gran Turismo games on it, he then looked over to the wall that had Killer instinct and a kinect wave race demo playing with a BF4 video playing on the back wall and commented "I see the new Halo game is out too" and expressed his excitement.

The girl was left with level of confusion over her face that was hysterical but just nodded and said, "then you will probably enjoy Forza 5 as it is pretty similar to Gran Turismo" and brought him over to the stand. I didn't get the feeling he was trying to be funny, he seemed genuine.

I had to re-read this, like, three times out of genuine confusion. It might be the fact that I'm kinda tired, but my brain had immense trouble envisioning this.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@twisted_scot said:

I had to re-read this, like, three times out of genuine confusion. It might be the fact that I'm kinda tired, but my brain had immense trouble envisioning this.

It honestly sounds like a video game version of a Key and Peele skit.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

"Feel sorry for the [willfully ignorant]."

It is easier than it's ever been for a person to find out detailed information about anything from real people who actually care. Most people have a device in their pocket at all times that can give them access to almost all of the information in the entire world.

If you're uninformed, it's your own responsibility to change that.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theres also things like that south park episode that aired this week that stated things such as "the xbox one has better frame rates" and " ps4 does not have seamless switching between games and movies" and the only information it gave on the ps4 was "it has a touch pad". i don't care about south park any more and ive not finished the episode and im sure its commentary on people taking sides in a console war but for people who are not informed about the subject the episode just looks like a advert for xbox one and not everything in it is true .

Haha you're so touchy.

It was pretty obvious they made both consoles look equal man and are specifically making fun of anybody taking a side. So it's kind of the opposite of what you're saying.

Also I'd hate to burst anyone's bubble, but this weird thing isn't exclusive to games. While it looks like that because this is your guys' one thing it happens in everything. Cars, Cameras, other software platforms, computers, phones. It just doesn't stick out as much. I mean this is exactly the same fucking thing that happened in record stores 20 years ago with these shitty employees and bad taste. But just like the MP3 killed those stores, HDDs are on their way to do that to Gamestop.

But yeah just a quick google would help with all that stuff.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonmog: http://www.yelp.com/biz/game-play-los-angeles#query:video%20games