Feeling a bit down

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

No, I don't need girl advice and the Giant Bomb hotline, but I do love that meme of Ryan Davis.

Today I'm lamenting the stupid decision to throw out all of my Super Nintendo game boxes as I was preparing to go to college. At the time it didn't bother me. My mind was focused on school and being social, so my interest and time in gaming really took a hit.

I recently stumbled on a site to download the "Top 100 Super Nintendo Music Tracks" and the wave of nostalgia that hit me is bittersweet and the regret for tossing those boxes facepalmed me.

Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy's II and III, Contra III, Ninja Turtles IV, Star Fox, Gradius III, Pilotwings, the Street Fighter series, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Metroid, Zelda: The Link to the Past, Actraiser, Super Star Wars Trilogy, and Alien 3 are just some of the boxes in my collection that I've chucked. The only boxes I have are my brother's Super Nintendo console box he gave me and the complete F-Zero and Chrono Trigger games I've purchased throughout the years. I just want them back for the artwork and the "completist" satisfaction I've developed for gaming.

Anyone else want to wallow in memories of foolish decision-making?

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bell_End

i once spilt a pint of milk and spent three weeks crying over it

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

Having moved about a dozen times in my life I have a long laundry list of items I wish I still owned and didn't throw out or give away - including these badass oldschool BMX bikes from the 80's I owned that I would love to fool around on now.

Sometimes there just isn't enough space for "stuff"

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

@Bell_End said:

i once spilt a pint of milk and spent three weeks crying over it

Come on man. There's no use crying over split milk.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

I would have taken all of those boxes off your hands, I'm sure.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

Wow dude, that is god damn heresy. That is treason! As someone with over 200 SNES games in their original boxes, I think I would literally rather hang myself than throw out those beautiful pieces of cardboard.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By captain_clayman

throw them AWAY? how could you? now i'm feeling a bit down just hearing about this. however i know how you feel, i sold my dreamcast and all my games to go towards...a wii. i was so fucking dumb when i was 12.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

I sold my old PS2 and all my games towards a PS3. And never got one. Ugh. And they were all in pristine condition as well. Few, if any, scratches on the game discs, and what was there was minor, and all of the cases were shiny and pretty-looking, including an excellent-looking case of the original Half-Life. Instruction booklets still included as well.

And I sold it all to Gamestop for $80. Over 20 games and one perfect slim PS2...

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once lost all my films, games, etc because we had to leave home in a hurry. Now I've got most of them again, but had to re-buy them.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BonOrbitz

@rawrsair said:

I once lost all my films, games, etc because we had to leave home in a hurry. Now I've got most of them again, but had to re-buy them.

And here I am going on about throwing out video game boxes. I'm glad you got most of your stuff back; whatever happens sounds serious and certainly puts things into perspective. It could always be worse.

...I still miss those boxes like crazy.

ajdass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ajdass1

I'm watching GSL and Tasteless just said, "No, you know what, I bet I could pick up sign language faster than a gorilla."

Guys, Starcraft 2 is awesome.

Anyways I'm really sorry for you! Argh... Something you will never be able to get back. That is rough, man. You have my sympathy!

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ma_rc_01

There was this one time were I said: I won't buy Green Lantern on playstation 3 for 10$. That time was yesterday so I don't know yet how that decision will pan out.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

@ajdass1 said:

I'm watching GSL and Tasteless just said, "No, you know what, I bet I could pick up sign language faster than a gorilla."

Guys, Starcraft 2 is awesome.

Anyways I'm really sorry for you! Argh... Something you will never be able to get back. That is rough, man. You have my sympathy!

Thanks for the sympathy! I appreciate it... Uh, your response feels like you combined two different thread responses into one. StarCraft 2 is indeed awesome. I have the box for that too!

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz said:

@rawrsair said:

And here I am going on about throwing out video game boxes. I'm glad you got most of your stuff back; whatever happens sounds serious and certainly puts things into perspective. It could always be worse.

...I still miss those boxes like crazy.

It certainly wasn't pleasant! But I can understand you missing your boxes!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I regret not putting tenchu z ontop of the pile of 360 games my drunk father decided to smash in a fit of rage. Piece of shit, that game was. Yet still it survived!

But yeah, I don't really get rid of shit like that. It's so easy to keep around I'd rather just have it in case I get a random desire to admire.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By BlackLagoon

Gave away my decent sized He-Man and Transformers collection when I was in my early teens. Was all grown up then didn't need those stupid toys anymore.

Now I miss Scorponok. :(

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StrikeALight

Don't get me started. Too many regrets.

Needless to say, I don't trade / sell / throw out anything gaming-related these days. Though I've never really had huge collections to begin with.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By darkdragonmage99

Here I'll make you feel better about your pathetic problems  

I'm 25 have never had a job or a girlfriend never stepped foot into a high school so I'm uneducated I'm mentally ill my gradma died 2 years ago to the day my grandpa died 1 year ago tomarow my dad died 3 days ago and and Friday is my birthday  

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StrikeALight

@darkdragonmage99 said:

Here I'll make you feel better about your pathetic problems I'm 25 have never had a job or a girlfriend never stepped foot into a high school so I'm uneducated I'm mentally ill my gradma died 2 years ago to the day my grandpa died 1 year ago tomarow my dad died 3 days ago and and Friday is my birthday

But at least you're a GB duder.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Deathmachine117

@darkdragonmage99: Happy Birthday

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Just replace the cowgirl doll with the box of SNES game. Every time i've gotten rid of an old video game, either by selling it or losing it, I've ended up going on ebay or local used game shops to find it again years later. In the end, I think it's better just to hang on to your old games, even if they just end up in a box in the garage or something like that.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BonOrbitz

@darkdragonmage99 said:

Here I'll make you feel better about your pathetic problems I'm 25 have never had a job or a girlfriend never stepped foot into a high school so I'm uneducated I'm mentally ill my gradma died 2 years ago to the day my grandpa died 1 year ago tomarow my dad died 3 days ago and and Friday is my birthday

You sincerely have my condolences for your losses.

Considering this is a video game related website, I felt this would be a great place to air my pathetic video game problems.

@super_mario_john: I thought about it, but never looked into the ebay-the-lost-boxes thing. Shit, I didn't realize what I was doing so that's why I didn't hang onto that stuff. The world was changing for me and this stuff just didn't seem important at the time. Now I keep everything related to my gaming purchases, but it just doesn't feel as special.

@BlackLagoon said:

Gave away my decent sized He-Man and Transformers collection when I was in my early teens. Was all grown up then didn't need those stupid toys anymore.

Now I miss Scorponok. :(

I've managed to hang onto those toys somehow, but like my SNES carts I have the toys themselves but not the packaging. Didn't have Scorponok, but my only Headmaster was Highbrow the Autobot helicopter.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#23  Edited By AdzPearson

I recently had to do that with some empty boxes of PC games. I put all of them in a CD folder for easy access a while back. However, due to a move about two years ago, I lost all of them (along with some other stuff). I recently checked if they were saved somehow, but no luck. As it made no sense to keep hold of empty game boxes, I had to throw them. A bit of a shame, but I've lost other gaming memorabilia in the past (including my ZX Spectrum and a bunch of Spectrum/Amiga magazines), so I'm used to it.

...that's not to say I won't be taking precautions next time, though...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ravenlight

@bonorbitz: Your name is bonorblitz, you're not allowed to feel down. You would need to change your name to flaccidblitz or something.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Ravenlight said:

@bonorbitz: Your name is bonorblitz, you're not allowed to feel down. You would need to change your name to flaccidblitz or something.

Ooh boy. When I created the name it should have been Bon.Orbitz or BonOrbitz. You won't catch me with a boner at this sausage party.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

@bonorbitz said:

@Ravenlight said:

Ooh boy. When I created the name it should have been Bon.Orbitz or BonOrbitz. You won't catch me with a boner at this sausage party.

I've been misreading your name this entire time. Now I'm sad; bonorblitz is such a hilarious name.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SSully

Wait if you threw away the boxes, what happened to the games?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Ravenlight said:

@bonorbitz said:

@Ravenlight said:

I've been misreading your name this entire time. Now I'm sad; bonorblitz is such a hilarious name.

You're not alone. My brother and girlfriend have been giving me shit ever since they happened to notice my name when we were on the site one day.

...bonorblitz does bring a smile to my face, however.