Feeling unmotivated to play games?

Avatar image for solidredskyrim1
solidredskyrim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

anyone have any ideas, I've been a gamer for most of life and recently I've become a bit unmotivated to play anything :(, the only game I'm looking forward to is MGSV! :D but Cba to play anything else.

any ideas people? thanks :)

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Try something new, like a type of game you generally haven't played before.. or go back to something older you always wanted to play.

Or just do something else for a while, I get times where I don't feel like playing but then after a few weeks or so I am more motivated than ever to play again. It happens.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

You're probably growing up

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I bounce back and forth between gaming. If you are losing interest then try a new hobby or experience for a while. No reason to hang on to or force a hobby that you are losing interest in. You'll eventually come back around to wanting to play again. When I get really busy with work I end up enjoying reading about games more than playing them, so you can always stay in the community without having to put in the hours of play.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Take a break. I haven't played a big retail game since like June. The summer's been so nice.

Games aren't going anywhere.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Play what you want, don't play what you don't want. The last thing you want to do with a favorite pastime is let it become some kind of obligation you only worry about because you feel you have to. And it's not like you're not suddenly going to stop being a "gamer" if you do other things. It's always gonna be there for you, even if you look away for awhile. But if you keep trying to force it when you're not feeling it, you'll only burn out.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morningstar

I had the same problem, then I went back to one of my all time favorites and it rekindled my interest. Thanks Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings And The Lost Ocean!

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Probably one of the most toxic things you can do to yourself is to force yourself to do a "fun" thing that you don't want to. If there are other things in your life that are taking precedence over game playing, then...focus on those things. You can put games in your periphery without losing your identity - unless your identity is inextricably tied to "I AM A PERSON WHO PLAYS GAMES LIKE ALL THE TIME," in which case I have some bad news for you.

As a personal anecdote, I rarely play games these days because of general life-stress. My solution to "not playing games" is to resolve/reconcile with the sources of stress in my life, freeing me to actually relax - let's call that a "work in progress," though. Dunno if you have anything similar going on, but I think (a) understanding what you're doing with your time instead, and (b) evaluating your feelings on those activities - both on their own, and as they relate to anything else you could do with that time - is crucial in feeling comfortable/secure in "what you're doing with your life."

No one's answer is going to be exactly the same. Heck, maybe your life would be better served by ditching some other time sink and doubling-down on juegos. Or, maybe, your life is changing and you have something more valuable in it that you shouldn't take for granted. Maybe! Who knows. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Beaudacious

Nah, dawg most new releases now are quite boring, stale, rehashes. I feel like the games industry is in a black hole of creativity. Ironically at a time when there are so many indie developers, games seem to have become quite predictable. Most indie releases are just carbon copies of other games with a new skin, since creating something complex, interesting, or truly creative is too much work(Reflected well by the huge amount of walking simulators, balancing complex mechanics is hard, creating art for a hallway is much easier). The big boys are so adverse to risk on their $50mill, $100mill games that everything is focus tested to the point of ridiculousness. Witch leads to the huge number of remakes, preying on safe nostalgia dollars.The deluge of repetitive money churning F2P games doesn't help the lack of creativity either.

I'd say most people would disagree with me, but I really feel like games as a medium is struggling right now in terms of innovation. Maybe VR will reinvigorate the industry, into creating new mechanics, ideas, and be less risk adverse on a new weird platform.

Luckily there are some diamonds in the rough still being released, even if there might be a long wait in-between.

Suggestions off the top of my head;

• The Talos Principle is on sale on steam right now, even though its a more eerie rehash of Portal, its a pretty decent game.
  • Have you played smiling Brad Muir's Massive Chalice, pretty fun and short.
  • Dungeons 2 is on sale, and people seems to really enjoy it.
  • Xenonauts is a hard-core version of new age X-Com.(X-com 2 is coming out soon!!!!).
  • Cosmonautica, quirky and interesting, all-be-it easy.
  • Imagine Earth, really interesting take on city/planet management.
  • Divinity Original Sin, is much better then the Witcher 3, or Dragon Age Origins.
  • State of Decay is a fun Zombie game, and has a new HD remake.
  • Elite Dangerous is fun for the first 20-30 hours.
  • Have you tried Rocket League, a fine time sink.
  • Oh, forgot Hotline Miami, its not great on paper, but there's a certain groove to that game that makes it great.
  • Killer is Dead, witch feels more like a fever dream, then a game.
  • Transistor, fun, not as great as bastion.
  • Life is Strange, much more interesting take on a walking simulator.
  • Or get sucked into a Souls games.

Or you could always get Hard Core into Dota 2 and give up on sense, reason, and life in one go.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By MezZa

Do something else for awhile. You don't want to try to force your hobby to be interesting. Variety is the spice of life and whatnot. Even if you don't like the other things that you try, you'll have more appreciation for gaming. I also recommend setting some personal goals outside of gaming and achieving them.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There's plenty of non game related stuff to do.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Happens dude. Sometimes I'll take a break from playing games and go into a TV show or movie mode and do that for awhile. Then after a week or so I'll go back to playing games. Either a favorite or start something new I haven't played before. It's good to take a break once in a while to not burn out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Take a break from games. Not a long one but try and develop hobbies outside of gaming.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what kind of ideas you're looking for. It's pretty straight forward. If you don't want to play games, don't play games. What's the point in trying to find ways to force yourself to do something you don't want to do?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Mix it up. Don't play games all the time because then you will become tired of it. Are there not anything that interests you besides gaming?

Now I'm going to come with the most nerdish answer ever but what ever. I have always found Batman to be super cool since I was a little kid and to this day I still find him way more interesting than all the other superheroes. In fact I don't really care much for superheroes other than Batman but I realised that I had never really read any of the Batman comic books. I only knew him from the animated series, the movies and the Arkham games obviously. So about one year or so ago I started to read the comics and it's an awesome alternative to video games.

So I guess that's my best advice: try find something besides gaming that really interests you and start doing that.

That way it will also be way more fun when you actually play a game because it's not something you do every single day then.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoccKob

Uh, after MGSV comes out, we aren't going to need any more video games.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I shed a tear every time another one of these threads comes up.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm in the same boat. Haven't played anything apart from Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS for 20mins on the way to work. I started up my 360 for the first time in 3+ months to play something/anything in my pile of shame and I turned it off after 20mins.

I'll try again in another 3 months. Part of the problem for me is that I'm halfway through x amount of games so I should probably just pick one and play from the beginning again just so I get into it better.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of stopped playing games with stories or where you control a single character. The whole FPS and character action genres seem stale to me.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wuddel said:

I kind of stopped playing games with stories or where you control a single character.

that's.........a lot of games.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wuddel

@frostyryan said:
@wuddel said:

I kind of stopped playing games with stories or where you control a single character.

that's.........a lot of games.

that is right. I do still buying them. But always 15min or so I feel unmotivated. Got Witcher 3. Played 1h. Not interested anymore. I did play and finish Broken Age though. Let relative this a bit more. I do not really play story driven games (mostly because I find many game-stories boring or badly written) and I do not play "character games" where violence is the main interaction with the world. So e.g. I am playing Subnautica.

These are a ton of games, but there are tons else out there, but they don't really get covered on Giant Bomb. I grew up on PC-games and was always a PC gamer, playing mostly strategy and simulation games. I play tons of Europa Universalis IV, Elite: Dangerous and Civilization. The OP probably should check these out, because the "traditional" console games seem to be in a rut.

Avatar image for blackbird_sr71c
Blackbird_SR71C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird. Similar here. I *love* watching some people play games like Metal Gear Scanlon, but when I try to play the game myself I quickly grow bored...

Avatar image for ddi_kazal_st_drebin
DDI_Kazal_St_Drebin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gaming industry has already turned into Hollywood. Rehash the same formula to the same dwindling audiences and hope for automatic profit.

The revenge of the sequel.

People's interests in things change, strengthen, and dwindle over time. I think I remember reading how taste bud's change with time. I don't have any scientific evidence but maybe just like physical tastes change with time our entertainment tastes change as well.

Besides it could just be current life situations that make once enjoyable activities not as engaging. Could be a dry spell or a sign of a change to come.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pursue other interests. It's healthy. No need to cram yourself into playing video games when you don't feel like it.

TomEa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try to code your own game. My is crappy so it's a pleasure to play something like the witcher or whatever you fancy :)

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been feeling the same way for about 5 months with my PS3, only turned it on recently to recharge controllers and watch a movie. However I have played my NES/SNES sporadically in the past month and a half, but never more than two hours.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been very up and down for me for a long time now. I still buy games quite often, but when it comes to playing through them, screw that. Last games I've completed..uh...Arkham Knight, Halo 2 & ODST, Journey, King's Quest and Tales From The Borderlands...I guess that's not too bad when you look at it, but my interest in casually picking up a game for a few hours of fun has certainly disappeared almost completely.

...except Dead Space 2. I don't know what the hell they did with that game to strike a chord with me, but I think it's the only game in the past (at least) five years that I've played through multiple times on PS3 and PC. Just started playing it again recently. Why can't more games be like Dead Space 2, huh?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#28 sweep  Moderator

You're probably growing up

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S.Lewis

TVippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TVippy

@solidredskyrim1: I'm in the mood for game, but not looking forward to MGSV (even though I've bought PS3 FOR MGS4).

As for you indifference, it may pass... I've not been playing games for 3 years straight (just thinking about them and reading about them). Even though my life is all about games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I buy every new release thinking that this will be the game that pulls me in and makes me want to spend my whole weekend playing. Doesn't happen anymore. Now I have too many incomplete games to even get out ahead of my backlog. I love games, but I only get a few hours of free time each day and I just end up playing a few rounds of a multiplayer shooter and I go to bed. I think the issue is me. I also can't watch movies or TV anymore. I don't really have any escape from my routine. I work overnight and get off between 11am and 1pm, then I have other commitments that keep me busy until 6pm-7pm. Then I need to to go bed by 9pm to wake up at 1:30am. I'm just exhausted, mentally and physically. By the time I get a day off (sometimes 2 weeks before I get a day off), my brain is too fried to really dig into anything. I can't get pulled into video game's world by the time I get to play. My problem is deeper than video games. Not being able to play games is a result of my lifestyle and real-life stresses.

Find out if you're just not digging games like you used to, or if there is something preventing you from enjoying them like you want. Are you unmotivated in other areas of your life, or just games? What else do you do (work, school, free time)? Start there.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was burnt out on games until I randomly tried The Wolf Among Us/Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments and found that I'm way into "story games" now. Try different stuff (game genres or otherwise) and something will hook you eventually.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in a similar boat, where i'm so excited for MGSV where I don't feel like playing anything other than that right now.

Movies and TV Shows are your friends too.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By davidh219

Read a book.