hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hangedtoaster

I’m a Canadian.

We’re a quiet bunch; prone to enjoying hockey, drinking stronger beer than our friends south of the border, and lovers of fries smothered in cheese curds and gravy.

We also, apparently, have an inferiority complex when it comes to being evil dirt bags, because we’ve decided to pass our very own version of SOPA up here.

Only better*

Meet Bill-C11. Formerly Bill C-32. (I think they thought if they made the number lower people would care less about it?)

Or as we call it up here; Her Royal Majesty V, Zzzzzzz

We like our politics dry up here.

But, as innocuous as it sounds, C-11 does a whole lot that SOPA did with a few extra twists you might not find in the Wikipedia write-up.

Like your PVR? You can’t keep it under C-11.

Like ripping CDs to your iPod? Say bye-bye.

Hey, do you want to be able to unlock your $500 smartphone and take it to a provider less dedicated to violating your wallet? That won’t be allowed either.

Did you get accused of internet piracy but no evidence has been presented and a trial date hasn’t even been set? Under C-11 your ISP will now be forced to terminate your internet access.

And people say that governments can’t be bought.

We’re not going to get Google or Wikipedia to go dark up here. We don’t have as robust a tech industry to act as a public counterbalance to entertainment industry interests. We have a Prime Minister (that’s French for Dear Leader under the current regime) who doesn’t give a suckling goat what the people think about his policies.

But we do have a lot more recourse in our political system to make politicians pay than our Yankee brethren do. (Yes I know I just insulted everyone south of the Mason Dixon line. I’m sorry. You trying caring about foreign geographical terminology when every person you’ve ever met from a particular country still thinks it’s the height of hilarity to ask if you live in an igloo.) We have things like votes of no confidence that can really bugger up a sitting House member’s day.

So, if you’re Canadian, or you’re friends with a Canadian, or you just really like bacon, click the link at the bottom of this article and share it with as many people as you can.

We can’t afford to lose on this one, Canada.

If you feel so inclined to oppose Bill C-11 copy this letter here http://dearthey.com/c-11-form-letter/ and send it via email to your local MP

In advance thanks Canadian duders!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

What passes for bacon for you people is un-acceptable. However.....a worthy cause none the less. I hope canadians can fight back against this latest round of censorship.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

@Demoskinos said:

What passes for bacon for you people is un-acceptable. However.....a worthy cause none the less. I hope canadians can fight back against this latest round of censorship.

I've never even heard a Canadian call it "Canadian bacon." We call it ham. We have actual bacon.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I don't approve of this. I don't approve of ANY of this.
FETCH ME MY MOOSE! I'M RIDING TO PARLIAMENT!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zeforgotten
Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SuperWristBands

Fuck.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uniform

I'm so confused by the bacon thing because I have no idea what they're looking at when they say our bacon is weird. I've been to just about every state on the east coast and their bacon is the same as what we got up here in my part of Canadia. Is there some wonky province doing bacon wrong? This is why I never leave Ontario.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

@uniform said:

I'm so confused by the bacon thing because I have no idea what they're looking at when they say our bacon is weird. I've been to just about every state on the east coast and their bacon is the same as what we got up here in my part of Canadia. Is there some wonky province doing bacon wrong? This is why I never leave Ontario.

They're looking at ham, and think we call ham bacon. But we don't.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zeforgotten
@Hailinel said:

Oh, geez. That sucks. I hope that common sense is able to prevail in this case.

@ZeForgotten said:

Seems Canada has a lot of shit to sort out

What.

"What" as in "what the fuck do you mean by that" or "What the fuck is up with that?" 

If the first one was what you meant then: Come the fuck, on really? You think that's totally ok? "Wait, you're fucking different. You can't get on our planes, fuck you for not being like the rest of us" 
If the second was what you meant then: I know, right? 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@ZeForgotten said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

What.

"What" as in "what the fuck do you mean by that" or "What the fuck is up with that?" If the first one was what you meant then: Come the fuck, on really? You think that's totally ok? "Wait, you're fucking different. You can't get on our planes, fuck you for not being like the rest of us" If the second was what you meant then: I know, right?

The second, of course.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uniform
@CL60 said:

Yeah, I just saw your ham post now. They can call that whatever they want to. Not big on ham, but I do love bacon n eggs.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten
@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

What.

"What" as in "what the fuck do you mean by that" or "What the fuck is up with that?" If the first one was what you meant then: Come the fuck, on really? You think that's totally ok? "Wait, you're fucking different. You can't get on our planes, fuck you for not being like the rest of us" If the second was what you meant then: I know, right?

The second, of course.

Ah, good. 
Been a part of this community since the very beginning so I just had to make sure you weren't one of the idiotic ones that seem to have taken over this community :P
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phish09

@hangedtoaster said:

I’m a Canadian.

We’re a quiet bunch; prone to enjoying hockey, drinking stronger beer than our friends south of the border, and lovers of fries smothered in cheese curds and gravy.

We also, apparently, have an inferiority complex when it comes to being evil dirt bags, because we’ve decided to pass our very own version of SOPA up here.

Only better*

Meet Bill-C11. Formerly Bill C-32. (I think they thought if they made the number lower people would care less about it?)

Or as we call it up here; Her Royal Majesty V, Zzzzzzz

We like our politics dry up here.

But, as innocuous as it sounds, C-11 does a whole lot that SOPA did with a few extra twists you might not find in the Wikipedia write-up.

Like your PVR? You can’t keep it under C-11.

Like ripping CDs to your iPod? Say bye-bye.

Hey, do you want to be able to unlock your $500 smartphone and take it to a provider less dedicated to violating your wallet? That won’t be allowed either.

Did you get accused of internet piracy but no evidence has been presented and a trial date hasn’t even been set? Under C-11 your ISP will now be forced to terminate your internet access.

If you feel so inclined to oppose Bill C-11 copy this letter here http://dearthey.com/c-11-form-letter/ and send it via email to your local MP

In advance thanks Canadian duders!

Nothing in that letter at the end would lead me to believe that this bill would make me have to trade in my PVR, or would have my internet terminated if "accused of internet piracy", or that I could in some way be prosecuted for ripping c.d.'s to an ipod or really any of the things you said. It seems like the bill is designed to shut down sites that enable and allow copyrighted materials to be freely shared. At least based on the wording the author of the letter chose to quote.

Do you have any more info about this bill? Because Wiki doesn't tell you much and, in fact I'm having a hard time digging up the details of it.

I get that shutting down these sites is censorship, in a way, but I don't think they are designed to censor sites that aren't typically used as such. I mean, no one's going to not let you go to Giantbomb.com because some kid some time posted a Super Mario Brothers ROM, or the link to a site with an illegal Mass Effect 3 bootleg slipped. It's designed to get ISP providers to limit access to sites like the Pirate Bay or BTJunkie to people who have been accused of pirating copyrighted stuff. You have to realize, to even make that kind of allegation you need some pretty serious evidence, like being a widely known contribute to one of these sites. Shit, I probably download as many movies and tv shows as the next guy, and it's going to hurt having to go back to paying to watch this stuff. But come on, it's got to happen eventually otherwise we're all just going to have to be stuck watching terrible youtube videos all day because no one will be able to afford to make anything decent to watch.

Like I say, I'd be curious to see the caveats in this bill that would take away my ability to listen to one of my c.d.'s on my iPod, or that my PVR is going to get taken way, but I'm just stating my opinion on this while internet piracy thing in general.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mcfart

Well we're screwed. The Harper Government has a healthy majority. Looks like this will pass before SOPA.

Avatar image for smallmanoncampus
smallmanoncampus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By smallmanoncampus

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I don't approve of this. I don't approve of ANY of this. FETCH ME MY MOOSE! I'M RIDING TO PARLIAMENT!

HOW DARE YOU PERPETUATE STEREOTYPES? WE ALL DRIVE BY DOGSLED HERE!

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Samaritan

I'm American and that looks fucked up.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alternate

@CL60 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I've never even heard a Canadian call it "Canadian bacon." We call it ham. We have actual bacon.

Everyone has the same bacon, there are only so many cuts you can get out of a pig, the names are just different.

What Americans call Canadian Bacon is Smoked Back Bacon. Comes from the loin of the Pork. I assume it is called such as much of it is, or was, imported from Canada. Brits of a certain age will sometimes call it Danish Bacon as that was the main source a couple of decades ago. It is prob the most popular bacon in Britain along with unsmoked back bacon.

What Americans just call "Bacon" the Brits call Streaky Bacon. Comes from the Pork Belly. Again it is mostly smoked and has a high fat content - hence how it goes crispy. Seen Pancetta on an Italian menu? Basically the same thing. Lardons also being similar, but more the fat than the meat.

I am not even going to touch on the differences between Cured Ham, Bacon Chops, Ham Hock and Gammon :D  

US Bacon 
 US Bacon 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By alternate

Back Bacon

No Caption Provided
Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Liquidus

Aw shit, more of this crap. (Not the TC, he/she is totally right for making this thread, I'm talking about the politicians who actually think this is a good idea.)

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

@uniform said:

I'm pretty sure they're referring to peameal bacon as Canadian bacon.

We call it peameal, y'all and even we think it's nasty!

c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By c0kemusheen

You Canadians drink stronger beer than us? nope not really, ya know not every American drinks Budweiser, we enjoy other beers like yuengling and blue moon as well.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says

@ZeForgotten said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

What.

The second, of course.

Ah, good. Been a part of this community since the very beginning so I just had to make sure you weren't one of the idiotic ones that seem to have taken over this community :P

that lady has a penis guys lol

I love how nobody gives a shit about the bill and are just discussing bacon....

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Patman99

@CL60: No kidding. I'm pretty sure no Canadian (being one of them) actually knows what the hell Canadian bacon is... Im pretty sure we just call regular ass bacon: "bacon".

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By benpicko

@alternate said:

@CL60 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Everyone has the same bacon, there are only so many cuts you can get out of a pig, the names are just different.

What Americans call Canadian Bacon is Smoked Back Bacon. Comes from the loin of the Pork. I assume it is called such as much of it is, or was, imported from Canada. Brits of a certain age will sometimes call it Danish Bacon as that was the main source a couple of decades ago. It is prob the most popular bacon in Britain along with unsmoked back bacon.

What Americans just call "Bacon" the Brits call Streaky Bacon. Comes from the Pork Belly. Again it is mostly smoked and has a high fat content - hence how it goes crispy. Seen Pancetta on an Italian menu? Basically the same thing. Lardons also being similar, but more the fat than the meat.

I am not even going to touch on the differences between Cured Ham, Bacon Chops, Ham Hock and Gammon :D

US Bacon
US Bacon

As an English person living in Canada, I've seen no good back bacon whatsoever, so I don't know why Americans would call it Canadian bacon.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bwmcmaste

@benpicko said:

As an English person living in Canada, I've seen no good back bacon whatsoever, so I don't know why Americans would call it Canadian bacon.

Go to a proper deli or meat shop and they should have something passable; supermarkets are unlikely to carry anything like true back bacon.

Also:

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By Sackmanjones

This thread is funny, everybody knows Canada isn't real. 

EDIT: I apologize, I have been an asshole all week, forgot to buy bacon.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@uniform said:

@CL60 said:
Yeah, I just saw your ham post now. They can call that whatever they want to. Not big on ham, but I do love bacon n eggs.

Canadian bacon would go TERRIBLY with eggs.

Because it's Canadian, mostly.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan

I copied, slightly modified, and sent the letter to my MP. Thanks for the link.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

well that sucks. i thought america it was bad. 

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mandude

Can we focus on the topic at hand, people? Enough of this legal nonsense. Everyone should be well aware that back bacon is better than streaky bacon.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alternate

@benpicko said:

@alternate said:

@CL60 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Maybe they ship it all over the border ;-)

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Cathryn
Taefarinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Taefarinas
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Deranged

@SuperWristBands said:

Fuck.
Jumanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jumanji

@hangedtoaster said:

pay than our Yankee brethren do. (Yes I know I just insulted everyone south of the Mason Dixon line. I’m sorry. You trying caring about foreign geographical terminology when every person you’ve ever met from a particular country still thinks it’s the height of hilarity to ask if you live in an igloo.) We have things like votes of no confidence that can really bugger up a sitting House member’s day.

Not sure why you believe this....

Anyways, OP lacks links to actual analysis of C11. I'd suggest going to Michael Geist's blog as a first stop.

And as mentioned elsewhere, if you really give a shit, you should write snail-mail in your own words.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZeForgotten said:
@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Hailinel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

What.

The second, of course.

Ah, good. Been a part of this community since the very beginning so I just had to make sure you weren't one of the idiotic ones that seem to have taken over this community :P
I think it's perfectly reasonable in this era of people being held off planes because they have 3 oz of fluid to expect the person in front of you to match what their passport says.

I'm a tall white man with a beard.  If my passport says I'm an asian lady, I think they're within their rights to hold me off a plane.