#1 Posted by Stete (731 posts) -

Anything that allows individuals to spend more time without pants is stonking great, and Amazon Prime would be a emmm prime example of that, since it allows you to get stuff shipped to you the next day therefore spending less time in brick and mortar shops which have weird and antiquated demands for dress code and personal hygiene. So Prime is great, at least when it works.

I have had Prime for 3 years now, the first year every prime eligible order I placed came the next day, but during the second and third year almost half of my prime orders came in at least a day late. Is anybody else getting shafted by Amazon or is it just me?

#2 Posted by Gaspatchosoup (43 posts) -

I live in america and im on prime thru my dads account and its free 2 day shipping here. Been on prime for 2 years and have yet to have any problems it has been consistent.

#3 Edited by Vanek (382 posts) -

I'm not on prime, but I've had numerous issues with Amazon UK and orders being dispatched and delivered late. Everything about Amazon UK is pathetic when compared to the US counterpart. If they're delivering things late I'd contact them and complain and you might get something back. I used to do it and get my delivery charge refunded, but other than that it never got any better and I ended up going to other more reliable places.

In your case all I can suggest is plan ahead and order things as early as possible in the hope it gets dispatched early and delivered on time. That's the best thing I can think of other than taking your money elsewhere.

#4 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Amazon UK is shit compared to US. It's kind of annoying actually.

#5 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Yep, was great for a year, but now I seem to no longer get tracking information and it's often one or even two days late. Which, for £50, is ridiculous.

#6 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

A couple times the next day 'guarantee' has fallen through but more often than not it's been fine.

The Black Friday deals have been garbage so far though compared to some of the US stuff I've seen.

#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

I live in the US. And I never count on things arriving on time. Although I rarely have problems with estimated dates. I do have problems with what the carrier feels comfortable leaving on my door step.

#8 Posted by Petiew (1346 posts) -

I've never used Prime but I'd like to echo that Amazon UK is dissapointing compared to what I've heard about the American store.
My preorder release day guaranteed deliveries always arrive the day after launch.

#9 Posted by Mike83 (12 posts) -

I've been tempted to take up the trail over Christmas to get gifts here quick smart.

#10 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Man, that's really a drag. I'm in the US and my Prime-eligible items arrive in two days without exception, and I order A LOT of stuff from Amazon (5 packages this week, for example).

#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

The question is if they are shipping slowly, or being sent out late. Amazon probably isn't responsible for slow shipping, but if it's because the shipping is initiated late, it may be that they are getting worse, or maybe you're just not clear on when you need to order it to get it the next day?

#12 Edited by deerokus (540 posts) -

It's partly because they use shitty HDNL/Yodel. Awful delivery company.

Make sure you complain to them about it - they usually give you a free month of prime if delivery is late. As such, I've currently got something like 8 months free.

#13 Posted by OtakuGamer (1230 posts) -

I got a trial for prime once. My first order with prime didn't arrive until 2 days after the estimated arrival date. They also use Royal Mail because that is such a reliable service.

#14 Posted by crusader8463 (14421 posts) -

They don't even offer next day orders here. The best you can get is 2-3 day shipping and the majority of the stuff on their site is from third party sellers and next to nothing is actually bought from amazon. So unless you want to pay insultingly high fees it's going to be 5-15 day shipping. They say 5-10 days, but it's usually closer to the two week mark before I get it with a few exceptions.

#15 Posted by Stete (731 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

The question is if they are shipping slowly, or being sent out late. Amazon probably isn't responsible for slow shipping, but if it's because the shipping is initiated late, it may be that they are getting worse, or maybe you're just not clear on when you need to order it to get it the next day?

Admittetly, Amazon does not handle the shipping of the item, but the advertising blurb for prime guarantees you next day delivery, not just next day shipping. Even on the dispatch emails they sent you get a guaranteed delivery date.

@deerokus said:

Make sure you complain to them about it - they usually give you a free month of prime if delivery is late. As such, I've currently got something like 8 months free.

I do indeed, and I got a few months of service for free, but then again it's a service that's getting worse and worse. And yes, HDNL and Yodel are absolutely horrible, it boggles the mind that these companies provide one very specific service and they haven't figured a way to do it properly.

@Gaspatchosoup said:

I live in america and im on prime thru my dads account and its free 2 day shipping here. Been on prime for 2 years and have yet to have any problems it has been consistent.

2 days you say? in the UK you are guaranteed to get it next day, which is extremely handy, at least when it used to work. Perhaps Amazon UK should have wisen up and just said that Prime takes two days instead of one like they do in the States.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3859 posts) -

Hey at least you get Prime. I live and Canada and apparently we're not GOOD enough for Prime. Hmph.

#17 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Amazon UK is shit compared to US. It's kind of annoying actually.

yeh no gold box which is how my american friends are able to make the brunt of their savings, my info might be old though but i recall when deus ex was coming out my buddy from Texas was able to get it at almost half price/

#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6240 posts) -

@Stete said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Admittetly, Amazon does not handle the shipping of the item, but the advertising blurb for prime guarantees you next day delivery, not just next day shipping. Even on the dispatch emails they sent you get a guaranteed delivery date.

@deerokus said:

I do indeed, and I got a few months of service for free, but then again it's a service that's getting worse and worse. And yes, HDNL and Yodel are absolutely horrible, it boggles the mind that these companies provide one very specific service and they haven't figured a way to do it properly.

@Gaspatchosoup said:

2 days you say? in the UK you are guaranteed to get it next day, which is extremely handy, at least when it used to work. Perhaps Amazon UK should have wisen up and just said that Prime takes two days instead of one like they do in the States.

Think, the UK is about a 10th of the size of the US, even though we have a fifth of the population. They don't need to ship things as far, so next day is doable. Still, it's all weird, sometimes I get next day when paying for first class.

#19 Posted by MHumphreys89 (714 posts) -

What pisses me off about Amazon U.K. is that I would generally receive my '1st Class' items just as fast as my 'Next Day' packages, then they figured this out and decided to be nonchalant about dispatching stuff that wasn't critical.

#20 Posted by Ursus_Veritas (383 posts) -

I've been a Prime user for like, 2 and a bit years now, and literally the first problem I've had with an order was last week, for Blops II, which came 3 days late. They gave me an extra month of Prime for my troubles for that though, which was nice. 

But yeah, on the whole I've been really pleased with the service - you get the occasional annoyance when it's dispatched through CityLink (who, oddly for a courier company, seem to HATE actually delivering packages) or Yodel (who pretty much consistently deliver stuff to me at 7pm, which, whilst still 'next day', is pushing it for me!), but on the whole I get my stuff real quick - hell, even if it dispatches late it's usually here early morning the following day. My Mists of Pandaria CE was dispatched at about 10.30pm the day before release, and got to my house almost bang on 9am the next day, which I was really surprised at. I'd say a good 80-90% of my online shopping happens through Amazon, and it's mainly because Prime has been really great for me.

#21 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I'm in the US and I get most things a day late, too, even though they were prompt when I signed up at first.

#22 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Stete: My point is that there isn't a hell of a lot they can do if the folks delivering their stuff refuse to live up to what I assume is some sort of agreement or are just plain unable to keep up with it. All you can really get them to improve on is the side of things involving them pushing stuff to the delivery company, beyond that it is probably out of their hands.

I'm pretty fuckin lucky when it comes to buying Amazon stuff from Amazon. I can get same day delivery thanks to living in Seattle. I don't quite buy enough on Amazon just yet to justify the prime thing, so I never went down that path but I did buy a bunch of Tool Albums and payed an extra 15 bones to get em the same day I bought em. But anything else, I end up having to wait usually 6 days for packages (regardless of the vendor) between shipping being kinda bad for me and my paycheck cashing right before everyone in the states decides "What, work on a weekend? HA."

And packages are always in the evening, period.

#23 Posted by AdzPearson (201 posts) -

I had Prime for a year or so (UK). I remember it working pretty well. It was pretty useful, as I bought a lot of stuff from Amazon at the time. Items arrived quickly, too.

No idea what it's like these days, though. Sad to hear that it may have gone the way of Play.com (only they're asking for a yearly subscription for late packages!).

#24 Posted by RazielCuts (2952 posts) -

The only two (and last) pre orders I've done with them they've delivered the games late even though I've selected first class delivery, Halo 4 one day late and Blops 2 four days late. I got the delivery charges back but thats not the point. I wanted to try them instead of Game but no point in pre ordering if you're not getting the day of, I won't be pre ordering with them again.

#25 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

i only have prime because i forgot to cancel the free trail and noticed it on my CC statement.

have to say though its flawless in my opinion. but i just don't use amazon enought to justify it really. i live with in spitting distact of our main high street so have ever shop on my doorstep and sometimes im happy to pay the high street premium to have something nOW