• 66 results
Edited 4 months, 6 days ago

Female Character of the Generation: FINALS (535 votes)

GLaDOS (Portal) 61%
Ellie (The Last of Us) 39%

(Hub Thread)

This is it, folks! The finals for the Characters of the Generation are upon us! (And I'm sure some of you can't wait for these polls to just be over.) The final two enter, but only one can win. Polls close at 9PM Pacific on Friday, December 13th.

#1 Edited by cbk486 (142 posts) -

#teamellie

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (12973 posts) -

Unfortunately I never felt any particular attachment to Ellie. GLaDOS on the other hand, I'd stop whatever I was doing at the time to hear what she had to say, I didn't want to miss a thing.

#3 Edited by narujoe93 (2429 posts) -

Wow, Ellie made it this far? That's great! I have to give it to Glados though. Such a great, memorable character. Maybe my personal favorite of the generation.

#4 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1123 posts) -

It has to be GLaDOS, only a monster would vote Ellie.

#5 Posted by Flappy (2034 posts) -

Ellie deserves better.

#6 Edited by Disaya (261 posts) -

I know she's probably not going to win but I still have to go with Ellie.

#7 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -

Sad that the Dragon's Crown sorceress didn't make it here. The towering pillar(s!) of femininity that she is.

I kid, I kid! Please don't kill me feminists.

#8 Posted by Devil240Z (3052 posts) -

Those are the options? Not even gonna vote.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

Those are the options? Not even gonna vote.

Why not?

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

Robots are ladies too!

#11 Edited by crithon (2574 posts) -

Glados has a better arch then most characters do in a lifetime.

#12 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

holy shit no Mass effect?

And come on guys Glados is no match for the lovely Ellie. What did Glados do? Nothing. What did Ellie do? She wanted to save the world and sacrifice herself

#13 Edited by Nightriff (4338 posts) -

GLaDOS out of those two.

Personally it is Miranda for….reasons.

#15 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -
#16 Posted by Tom_omb (229 posts) -

My vote's for Ellie as the champion of a group of companion characters that have elevated the emotional impact of their respective game's narritive. This vote's for Clem and Elizabeth too. GlaDOS is super entertaining, but Ellie is representative of an awesome trend that is making game story's better. The dream the Fable dog was ment to achieve is alive in these characters.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

My vote's for Ellie as the champion of a group of companion characters that have elevated the emotional impact of their respective game's narritive. This vote's for Clem and Elizabeth too. GlaDOS is super entertaining, but Ellie is representative of an awesome trend that is making game story's better. The dream the Fable dog was ment to achieve is alive in these characters.

You're equating Ellie, Clementine, and Elizabeth with the dog from Fable?

#18 Posted by Slag (3339 posts) -

Galdos, she is the voice that launched a thousand memes

#19 Posted by erhard (346 posts) -

@slag said:

Galdos, she is the voice that launched a thousand memes

That's your criterion?

#20 Posted by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

I love GLaDOS but Ellie wins this easily for me. One of the first times i've seen a character develop in a video-game without it seeming a little "video-gamey" (coughcoughLaraCroftElizabethcough)

#21 Edited by tsutohiro (346 posts) -

Robot "Voice acted by a Female" of the Generation. :/

I voted Ellie, as her character was actually female.

#22 Posted by Gatehouse (483 posts) -

Glados was fantasticly hilarious and had a great twist, but I'm giving my vote to Ellie.

#23 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1270 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@tom_omb said:

I don't want to speak for someone else, but I assume the statement is more that these characters are the realization of the idea Molyneaux was pitching about the dog being a companion character that you're supposed to become emotionally attached to, which was poorly executed in Fable.

#24 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

I kind of feel weird having a robot in this category. In any case Ellie is a much better character and maybe my favorite character from the past few years.

#25 Posted by bigjeffrey (4157 posts) -

that little girl was very good.

#26 Posted by Random45 (804 posts) -

This is a tough call, I think GLaDOS goes through a pretty entertaining and well done character arc in Portal 2, but Ellie was also very well done in The Last of Us... Hm... What to do.

Guess I'll go with GLaDOS because I like her more.

#27 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Nothing particularly standout about Ellie.

#28 Edited by ZolRoyce (419 posts) -

I'm fine with either winning but I'll vote for Ellie, she felt like she had more of a character ark for me in general that I didn't totally get out of GLaDOS, still great the both of them though.

#29 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (422 posts) -

I'm sorry, Ellie :(

#30 Posted by dr_mantas (1691 posts) -

Sure. Probably not my top choice, but GladOS was distinctive, interesting and pretty great character. Even iconic, you could say.

#31 Edited by WickedFather (1713 posts) -

Robot "Voice acted by a Female" of the Generation. :/

I voted Ellie, as her character was actually female.

Way to marginalise. You want to host the VGX next year?

#32 Posted by Nightriff (4338 posts) -
#33 Edited by Tom_omb (229 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I don't want to speak for someone else, but I assume the statement is more that these characters are the realization of the idea Molyneaux was pitching about the dog being a companion character that you're supposed to become emotionally attached to, which was poorly executed in Fable.

Yes, this.

#34 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

Come on guys I thought people actually wanted more and great female characters and what are you doing? Giving it to some Robot?

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -

Wait, seriously? GLaDOS is winning? How the fuck did that happen?

#36 Posted by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

More people played Portal, and GLaDOS made those great memes.

#37 Posted by csl316 (7350 posts) -

Ellie's pretty great. And I came in skeptical.

#38 Edited by psylah (2153 posts) -

Robots don't have genitals.

Yet.

#39 Posted by geirr (2377 posts) -

I liked Ellie and all but felt she was a tad too puppy-eyed and slightly overly-designed to make you care for her. Also I hated that her knife was better than mine. Also why the hell didn't she learn how to swim?! Anyway she's cool but kind of annoying.

GlaDOS on the other hand took me on a fun and emotional rollercoaster before I ever saw "her" and that to me is pretty amazing. And when I finally met GlaDOS I was like HELL YEAHHH!! And then potato.

#40 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4493 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@hailinel said:

Yes, this.

Not to mention Trip from Enslaved, Elika/Farah from the Prince of Persias, etc. And the original Portal kind of breaks the premise with the Weighted Companion Cube.

So: GLaDOS wins.

#41 Posted by Tom_omb (229 posts) -

@markwahlberg: Weighted Companion Cube is female character of the generation!

#42 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

GLADOS ISN'T EVEN A FEMALE THOUGH, ROBOTS ARE GENDERLESS

#43 Posted by Krataur (318 posts) -

Obviously Ellie.

#44 Posted by Video_Game_King (34600 posts) -
#45 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

@dystopiax said:

@lackingsaint said:

@video_game_king said:

She has the personality of a woman, and she has a female voice.

To say she is not female is like saying Labrys, Android 18, EDI and Aegis are not female.

#46 Posted by believer258 (11039 posts) -

Unfortunately I never felt any particular attachment to Ellie. GLaDOS on the other hand, I'd stop whatever I was doing at the time to hear what she had to say, I didn't want to miss a thing.

Eh?

Of course I voted GLaDOS. What kind of monster doesn't vote for GLaDOS?

#47 Posted by LackingSaint (1698 posts) -

@geirr said:

I liked Ellie and all but felt she was a tad too puppy-eyed and slightly overly-designed to make you care for her.

I must've missed that between her spending the majority of Summer swearing like a sailor and being generally abrasive and rude. In fact, the way her character develops from being kind of a loudmouth brat to being such a likeable, sympathetic character is a big part of why I think she should win this.

#48 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4433 posts) -

Either one's good by me, but my vote went to Ellie. She certainly deserves it.

#49 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

@hermes said:

@dystopiax said:

@lackingsaint said:

@video_game_king said:

She has the personality of a woman, and she has a female voice.

To say she is not female is like saying Labrys, Android 18, EDI and Aegis are not female.

What the hell is a personality of a women? XD Yes she has a female voice and? Imagine she is just a male Robot who likes to have a female voice? Ellie on the other hand has a ton of emotions, the feels absolutely real and that is not only because she is voiced by a great Ashley Johnson but also because she is a great maybe even the best written Female Character this Industry has.

#50 Edited by TheHT (10274 posts) -

GLaDOS is the Citizen Kane of females.