Posted by Hailinel (24260 posts) 8 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Female Character of the Generation: Round 1, Group 2 (Read the rules, please!) (364 votes)

Caterina Sforza (Assassin's Creed II) 9%
Miranda Lawson (Mass Effect 2) 33%
Zoey (Left 4 Dead) 13%
Madison Paige (Heavy Rain) 9%
Merrill (Dragon Age: Origins) 13%
Midna (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess) 12%
Shanoa (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia) 5%
Isara (Valkyria Chronicles) 8%
Sheriff Sarah Breaker (Alan Wake) 6%
Catherine (Catherine) 16%
Maiden Astraea (Demon's Souls) 6%
Calista (The Last Story) 2%
Saskia (The Witcher 2) 13%
Isabela (Dragon Age: Origins) 9%
Alicia Melchiott (Valkyria Chronicles) 10%
Kat (DmC: Devil May Cry) 9%
Phillippa Eilhart (The Witcher 2) 8%
Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) 6%
Jack (Mass Effect 2) 32%
Bonnie MacFarlane (Red Dead Redemption) 24%
Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy) 13%
Leliana (Dragon Age: Origins) 16%
Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII) 19%
Nilin (Remember Me) 5%
Morrigan (Dragon Age: Origins) 40%
Liara T'Soni (Mass Effect) 43%
Elizabeth (BioShock Infinite) 48%
Tess (The Last of Us) 14%
Clover (9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors) 6%
Labrys (Persona 4 Arena) 13%
Hanako Ikezawa (Katawa Shoujo) 6%
Dom's Wife (Gears of War 2) 2%
Sorceress (Dragon's Crown) 4%
Tiny Tina (Borderlands 2) 12%
Ellie (The Last of Us) 41%
Jenny Romano (The Darkness) 5%
Franzika Von Karma (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All 9%
Patricia Tannis (Borderlands) 12%
Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2: Episode One) 34%
Seth Balmore (Lot Odyssey) 5%
Marina Wulfstan (Valkyria Chronicles) 4%
Sunny (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots) 11%
Chloe Frazer (Uncharted 2) 19%
Oerba Yun Fang (Final Fantasy XIII) 6%
Elena Fisher (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) 26%
Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5) 6%
Rin Tezuka (Katawa Shoujo) 5%
Chell (Portal) 24%
Jeanne (Bayonetta) 7%
Molly (The Walking Dead: Season 1) 8%
Elena (Pandora's Tower) 4%
Girl (Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons) 2%
Ellie Langford (Dead Space 2) 7%
Kaine (Nier) 11%

Hello, ladies and gentlemen, to the opening round of Female Character of the Generation voting! You may have noticed the format of the poll above is substantially different than it was for the male bracket. There is a reason for this.

The first round of voting on the men ends tonight (November 27th). This round of voting was divided into ten groups; three from each move on to the second round (four, in case of a third-place tie). However, the moderators have informed me that this pace is not sustainable due to the number of threads it would produce. Therefore, the initial round of voting on the women will work differently, primarily with these changes:

1. There are only two groups. They are huge.
  2. Each user will be allowed multiple votes per group. I am invoking the honor system here; no one is allowed more than fifteen votes. I have no way to know if you are cheating or not, but just don't do it. That's a dick move.
  3. The top fifteen from each group will move on to Round 2. In the event of a a tie for fifteenth, either all tied characters will move on, or a winner-take-all elimination round of voting will be instituted (but only if there are a crazy amount of ties).
  4. After the polls open tonight, they will remain open until 9PM Pacific on Friday, November 29th, to account for the Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. on Thursday.

(Link to the Hub Thread.)

#1 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

Now this is more like it! I was actually kinda struggling to vote for characters I genuinely liked enough to see go onward, hence why I never even bothered using all 15 votes in the other thread. This one's got plenty of favourites, though!

Anywhoo:

• Madison
  • Merrill
  • Rita Mordio
  • Jack
  • Bonnie MacFarlane
  • Leliana
  • Morrigan
  • Liara
  • Ellie
  • Patricia Tannis
  • Chloe Frazer
  • Elena Fisher
  • Ellie Langford

Most especially hoping for Ellie, Chloe, Elena, Morrigan, Bonnie, and Liara to make it through.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@yummylee:

I was the exact opposite; I was struggling to find characters worth voting for after I'd chosen the few I knew I'd vote for. Speaking of, I notice that our choices are completely different. That's not a good thing.

#3 Posted by Superkenon (1408 posts) -

Labrys all day every day.

#4 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1177 posts) -

"Dom's Wife (Gears of War 2)"

Who nominated this?

#5 Posted by TheHT (11087 posts) -
  • Caterina
  • Merrill
  • Astraea
  • Jack
  • Leliana
  • Liara
  • Elizabeth
  • Alyx
  • Chloe

Hopefully the foul-mouthed Caterina can make it for another round, but I don't expect her to win. Liara's the one I'm hoping takes it from this group. Or Leliana. Or Elizabeth.

#6 Edited by YI_Orange (1141 posts) -

Between the 2 threads I voted for Morrigan, Liara, Bayonetta, Ellie, Kaine, Elizabeth, and Kinzie. I like a lot of others, but not as much as those ones. I know The Last of Us is recent, but I really think Ellie is a fantastic character and probably my front runner right now. Kinzie and Kaine were more to show some love for characters that I assumed would go under appreciated (I might be wrong), but Kinzie is the best thing about Saints Row and Kaine is awesome if for nothing other than that speech the game boots into.

Oh, and I probably should have voted for Elena Fisher, she's cool too.

Edit - Actually, 19% for Madison Page? More than any other character(granted I don't know some of them) I would really love to hear from someone who voted for her. I thought she was terrible and probably the worst part about Heavy Rain, hole filled plot included.

#7 Posted by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

Edit - Actually, 19% for Madison Page? More than any other character(granted I don't know some of them) I would really love to hear from someone who voted for her. I thought she was terrible and probably the worst part about Heavy Rain, hole filled plot included.

She's naked in like 3 scenes.

#8 Posted by csl316 (8345 posts) -

All my votes to Elena Fisher!!

(Ok, and maybe a couple to Emily Wyatt)

#9 Edited by BisonHero (6394 posts) -

Putting Alyx Vance in seems like mad cheating. At best, HL2: Episode 2 did technically come out this gen, but she originated from a game from the previous gen.

#10 Edited by MEATBALL (3155 posts) -

• Miranda Lawson
  • Midna
  • Shanoa
  • Isabela
  • Jack
  • Bonnie MacFarlane
  • Rosalina
  • Liara T'soni
  • Elizabeth
  • Ellie
  • Franziska Von Karma
  • Patricia Tannis
  • Chloe Frazer
  • Elena Fisher
  • Kaine

Huh, for some reason votes for Phillipa Eilhart, Clover and Leiliana are listed as my vote as well, but I never clicked them or intended to vote for them. I don't know what's up with that.

#11 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

I am deeply disturbed that Jack has so many votes. A bald, perpetually angry, emo, bizzitchy is not my idea of a "great" character. I guess she deserves some props for being more than a massive cliche in ME3.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11793 posts) -

Interesting, this poll is filled with a bunch of characters I did not particularly like =/

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14720 posts) -

Mainly rooting for Elizabeth and Lightning.

#14 Posted by Hayt (276 posts) -

It's a shame Saskia is going to lose so badly.

#15 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

I can't believe I forgot Shanoa that was easily my favorite game changer for the Castlevania series

#16 Posted by ESREVER (2681 posts) -

Kaine. Clover. Fang. Elena Fisher.

#17 Edited by Brake (1094 posts) -

I ended up voting for like 8 characters overall from both groups. Kinda surprised how many of these characters I don't even remember, I guess most didn't leave a big enough impression.

#18 Posted by geirr (2508 posts) -

Oh man, Midna or Tiny Tina. FffFfff....

#19 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

Everything Mass Effect.

Liara and Jack.

#20 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5352 posts) -

Miranda is a terrible character.

#21 Edited by audioBusting (1488 posts) -

Damnit, I was gonna vote for Shanoa but I didn't see her entry. I used a vote for Hanako because why not.

Why would anyone vote for Miranda? I would nominate her for the least likeable character of the generation. (Although I guess butt shots are quite emblematic of the generation.)

#22 Edited by LackingSaint (1782 posts) -

I like how Elizabeth is beating Ellie in this poll despite Ellie's character being everything Elizabeth's character failed to be. Elizabeth is a gross, playtester-approved mess that never does anything that the player could possibly not sympathise with. Her character isn't at all reflective of the fact that she was raised in solitary confinement and called a freak for the first two decades of her life. She's polite, courteous and selfless. It's skeezy as hell and i'm sad that so many people fell for such lazy characterisation.

#23 Posted by TobbRobb (4587 posts) -

This one was a lot more stacked with good characters. But damn man, really Liara? And Jack gets more votes than Bonnie? Is Mass Effect 2 just some kind of black hole that sucks in all of the votes of all time?

#24 Posted by DonChipotle (2714 posts) -

I'd be a jerk if I didn't vote for Kaine. But I'm also tempted to vote for Nilin.

Anyway, let's go Kaine!

#25 Edited by avantegardener (1114 posts) -

No Faith from Mirrors Edge?

EDIT: Derp, just saw the other post.

#26 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

Put Lightning on a worst characters of a generation poll and you'll get my vote.

#27 Posted by Noblenerf (312 posts) -

What makes Chell the female character of the generation? I'm very interested in your thoughts, voters.

#28 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4961 posts) -

No Tali, no sale!

Fine, I'll go with Kainé.

#29 Edited by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

There can only be two. Miranda Lawson and Catherine

#30 Posted by Fattony12000 (7252 posts) -
Cassidy

#31 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Wait where's Tali?! man this list is wack (like Chell being there even though I think she doesn't mutter a word ever), anyways Bonnie MacFarlane deserves to win this whole thing.

#32 Edited by hermes (1397 posts) -

Wait... why is Alyx Vance here? I thought the precondition was that it couldn't be a character released on the previous generation...

#33 Posted by WalkmanBoy (74 posts) -

I'm going to vote for Ellie but man, I wish Clem was at least on the list.

Also, I totally think Chell has a right to be on this list. It's not an obvious thing, true, but I think her desire to escape and discover the truth in the facility despite everything working against her made for a great story. That was a game where I thought the silent protagonist idea actually worked really well, and I usually hate that trope.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (24260 posts) -

@angeln7 said:

Wait where's Tali?! man this list is wack (like Chell being there even though I think she doesn't mutter a word ever), anyways Bonnie MacFarlane deserves to win this whole thing.

Also, I totally think Chell has a right to be on this list. It's not an obvious thing, true, but I think her desire to escape and discover the truth in the facility despite everything working against her made for a great story. That was a game where I thought the silent protagonist idea actually worked really well, and I usually hate that trope.

You guys do realize that there is another poll in this round, right?

#35 Posted by BisonHero (6394 posts) -

No Tali, no sale!

Fine, I'll go with Kainé.

@angeln7 said:

Seriously you guys, there is another poll thread with Tali and Clem on it. Relax.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/female-character-of-the-generation-round-1-group-1-1462160/

Also, there really isn't much to Chell. They give her a bit of characterization in that Portal 2 prequel comic, where we find out that the Rat Man bumped her to first priority for "testing" and why. But that's still not very much.

#36 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Just a heads up, Merril and Isabella are from DA2 not origins. Along those lines, I'm disappointed that you didn't include Wynn from DAO. She was such a fun character. I loved how they mixed her motherly outlook with a sassy lady that stands up for herself.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (24260 posts) -

Just a heads up, Merril and Isabella are from DA2 not origins. Along those lines, I'm disappointed that you didn't include Wynn from DAO. She was such a fun character. I loved how they mixed her motherly outlook with a sassy lady that stands up for herself.

Merrill appears in the Dalish Elf origin of Dragon Age: Origins and Isabela appears in the game as the teacher of the Duelist specialization. They both have more to do in Dragon Age II, but they did appear in the first game. As for Wynn, well, I would have included her had she been nominated.

#38 Edited by JohnTunoku (113 posts) -

Hmmm. Lots of mass effect characters that I sort of became attached to that I don't necessarily think are great characters on here.

Merrill

Midna

Catherine

Jack

Morrigan

Clover

Franzika Von Karma

Jeanne

#39 Edited by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

What about Merrill makes her a good or interesting character? She always struck me as nothing more than an infantile buffoon clearly set on a path to endanger everyone's well being with nothing other than ignorant curiosity as the seeming character motivation. If you choose the wrong dialogue choice at a pivotal moment you'll be forced to kill her entire tribe, when objectively the only one who has done anything wrong is her, after which she seemingly expresses no regret for their loss. In summary she's a sociopath and an underdeveloped predictable one at that.

#40 Posted by Anund (881 posts) -

I voted for a few of them, but really, we all know the obvious winner here is Elena Fischer.

#41 Edited by JohnTunoku (113 posts) -

@belligerentengine: As I see it she was just stupid and reckless, but in an entertaining and somewhat endearing way. She definitely did show regret for the loss of the tribe though IIRC, not sure why you thought otherwise.

#42 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

One vote again. Lightning.

#43 Edited by Hunter5024 (5599 posts) -

I only voted for the people who I really cared for rather than throwing one of my votes to someone I thought less deserving. I more or less agree with this poll, though I wish Kaine and Labrys were higher, I think Miranda totally sucks, and personally I wouldn't even consider silent protagonists like Chell.

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Kicking myself for not nominating more VN heroines.

#45 Posted by MB (12197 posts) -

I only placed one vote and it was for a character from Mass Effect 2. Not only is she awesome, but I really want to read 25 pages of rage if she wins. Or if any ME2 character wins, for that matter.

#46 Posted by atrox (61 posts) -

Miranda, Ellie, Elizabeth for me.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (24260 posts) -

This poll is now closed! Those moving on are:

• Elizabeth 48%
  • Liara T'soni 43%
  • Ellie 41%
  • Morrigan 40%
  • Miranda Lawson 34%
  • Alyx Vance 34%
  • Jack 32%
  • Elena Fisher 26%
  • Bonnie MacFarlane 24%
  • Chell 23%
  • Lightning 19%
  • Chloe Frazer 19%
  • Leliana 17%
  • Catherine 16%

And a seven-way tie at 13% for the final slot:

• Rose of Sharon Cassidy
  • Zoey
  • Merrill
  • Saskia
  • Rosalina
  • Tess
  • Labrys

These characters are all moving on to round two. Congrats to them all!