• 61 results
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

Poll Female Character of the Generation: Round 2, Group 1 (349 votes)

Tali (Mass Effect) 13%
EDI (Mass Effect 2) 0%
Kasumi Goto (Mass Effect 2) 0%
Liara T'soni (Mass Effect) 10%
Miranda Lawson (Mass Effect 2) 3%
Jack (Mass Effect 2) 3%
Morrigan (Dragon Age: Origins) 7%
Leliana (Dragon Age: Origins) 1%
Merrill (Dragon Age: Origins) 0%
GLaDOS (Portal) 24%
Chell (Portal) 2%
Alyx Vance (Half-Life 2: Episode One) 8%
Bonnie MacFarlane (Red Dead Redemption) 7%
Zoey (Left 4 Dead) 1%
Catherine (Catherine) 3%
Erica Anderson (Catherine) 4%
Faith Connors (Mirror's Edge) 3%
Hatsune Miku (Hatsune Miku: Project Diva) 7%
Lilith (Borderlands 2) 1%
Samantha Greenbriar (Gone Home) 5%

(Hub Thread)

The second round of voting on the female character of the generation has begun! There are forty contestants in this round, and in the end, it will be whittled down to six. The top three in each thread will move on to the semi-finals. As before, ties for third will be allowed to move on, unless there is just a ridiculous number of them. You're also only allowed one vote, so make it count!

The poll will close on Tuesday, December 3rd at 9:00PM Pacific.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Hatsune Miku, obviously.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

That's an awful lot of Mass Effect.

So I'm going with Erica since she was the best thing about Catherine.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Went with Sam

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By artelinarose

Too bad she doesn't stand a chance...

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

Unfortunate, but such is life.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went with Liara, my waifu.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose said:

@donchipotle said:

Too many people played Mass Effect, not enough people played Catherine. Or really appreciate how awesome Erica is, especially how good her representation was...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:

@artelinarose said:

@donchipotle said:

Too many people played Mass Effect, not enough people played Catherine. Or really appreciate how awesome Erica is, especially how good her representation was...

Well, Erica's getting more support early on than I thought she would. She might not win, but she could still make a respectable showing, given the competition.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Why not include Ashley too, she's a better character than some of the other Mass Effect characters listed there...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not include Ashley too, she's a better character than some of the other Mass Effect characters listed there...

Dude, she wasn't even nominated.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That is my thoughts too. I like some of the Mass Effect characters but Erica needs some love. Glad to see her in 3rd. Hope she goes on to the next round.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

@hailinel said:

@beachthunder said:

Dude, she wasn't even nominated.

For good reason, she's not a very good character. I just think it's crazy that people nominated and voted for Miranda and Jack =/

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperCycle

I think it's funny that robots are considered female characters. I guess I can kind of see EDI be considered female since she took a humanoid female body, but none of them should be considered female characters.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

My thoughts exactly. Pretty easy decision.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By leebmx

Is GLADOS really a woman? I would like to know what those who think she is use as their definition for womanhood. Can't see anything about GLADOS which makes her female. Would people say HAL from 2001 is a man? They are robots or artificial lifeforms, to be a man or a woman you have to be human. I suppose that would exculde Tali, Liara and EDI but you could probably make a case for those (the first two more so) - I see no case for GLADOS other than her voice.

Also she is currently leading the poll. I dread to think what it says about the users of this site if a homicidal artificial intelligence wins Female Character of the Generation.

EDIT: Remembering my Portal 2 I suppose GLADOS is based on the personality of a woman, however I still don't think this is enough. It throws up some interesting questions and reminds me of many of the philosophy debates I used to have at school and university, but I really don't think GLADOS is a woman. She has the mind of a woman (one which has been very disturbed and damaged) but she isn't one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

Is GLADOS really a woman? I would like to know what those who think she is use as their definition for womanhood. Can't see anything about GLADOS which makes her female. Would people say HAL from 2001 is a man? They are robots or artificial lifeforms, to be a man or a woman you have to be human. I suppose that would exculde Tali, Liara and EDI but you could probably make a case for those (the first two more so) - I see no case for GLADOS other than her voice.

Also she is currently leading the poll. I dread to think what it says about the users of this site if a homicidal artificial intelligence wins Female Character of the Generation.

Non-human characters with identifiable gender traits are considered part of that gender. Thus GLaDOS and EDI are here and Labrys is in the other poll. These polls aren't limited to human characters.

Also, GLaDOS is female. Play Portal 2.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By leebmx

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

Non-human characters with identifiable gender traits are considered part of that gender. Thus GLaDOS and EDI are here and Labrys is in the other poll. These polls aren't limited to human characters.

Also, GLaDOS is female. Play Portal 2.

I've played Portal 2, you probably haven't read my edited comment. I only recalled GLADOS's origins after I posted.

The woman GLADOS is based on is female, but GLADOS is a Robot. I get where you are coming from with this, but under no definition, other than one you have made up yourself can GLADOS be defined as female.

Do you not think it is a bit odd that none of the three characters who are currently leading this poll are women? I know I shouldn't care but it is the sort of thing that sometimes makes me cringe to be a gamer. Probably more my hang-ups than anyone elses. At least the other poll looks a bit better but Bayonetta still seems to be second. :/)

I just hope we don't end up with a robot coming first, followed by an alien who can't take her mask of without dying and another alien who is designed to be an intergalactic sex doll. What's wrong with real earth women? :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:

Do you not think it is a bit odd that none of the three characters who are currently leading this poll are women? I know I shouldn't care but it is the sort of thing that sometimes makes me cringe to be a gamer. Probably more my hang-ups than anyone elses. At least the other poll looks a bit better but Bayonetta still seems to be second. :/)

I just hope we don't end up with a robot coming first, followed by an alien who can't take her mask of without dying and another alien who is designed to be an intergalactic sex doll. What's wrong with real earth women? :)

No, it's not weird. These are polls for the best female character. Not best human woman. You can make an argument that some of the voters are casting ballots for their waifus (or in the case of the male category, their husbandos), but this was never, ever about voting specifically for human, or even flesh-and-blood characters.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Surprised to see Morrigan not taking as many votes. But she doesn't have a trilogy behind her like the ME ladies, so it's only natural people would have more attachment to characters like Liara and Tali. Shame, as I think Morrigan is a significantly more interesting and layered character than most of the ME cast. Plus, she got dem husky Clauda Black tones <3

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How is Tali only at 9%? She is the best female character in Mass Effect, you people voting for Liara should be ashamed of yourselves.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

You can make an argument that some of the voters are casting ballots for their waifus (or in the case of the male category, their husbandos)

Wait, why are the people voting in the other threads Spanglish? And for that matter, who considers GLaDOS their waifu?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@yummylee said:

@ll_exile_ll: ?

They're both tied at 11% for me.

When I commented it said 9%, now it says 11%. I am already shaping minds!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And for that matter, who considers GLaDOS their waifu?

You'd be surprised.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@hailinel said:

You can make an argument that some of the voters are casting ballots for their waifus (or in the case of the male category, their husbandos)

Wait, why are the people voting in the other threads Spanglish? And for that matter, who considers GLaDOS their waifu?

...Stephen Hawking?

>_>

<_<

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

@yummylee: @hailinel:

I'm still confused as to why anime fandom will transliterate ワイフ but feel content just shoving an O at the end of husband.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bonnie Macfarlene and Glados were pretty good.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

No, it's not weird. These are polls for the best female character. Not best human woman. You can make an argument that some of the voters are casting ballots for their waifus (or in the case of the male category, their husbandos), but this was never, ever about voting specifically for human, or even flesh-and-blood characters.

You wouldn't think it was funny at all if a poll for best female character this generation didn't have a single woman in the top three and had a robot for number one?

I totally understand that this is video games and we are in the realm of fantasy, imagination and exoticism so the definition of female has obviously to be much wider than just human women. It just kind of bought a smile to my face when I saw some of these results and I started to wonder how a mainstream organisation, or non-gamer would view polling like this.

Are you going to run one for male characters? - I would be very interested to see how the results compare. And there definitely needs to be one for just best character overall.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@leebmx said:

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

You wouldn't think it was funny at all if a poll for best female character this generation didn't have a single woman in the top three and had a robot for number one?

I totally understand that this is video games and we are in the realm of fantasy, imagination and exoticism so the definition of female has obviously to be much wider than just human women. It just kind of bought a smile to my face when I saw some of these results and I started to wonder how a mainstream organisation, or non-gamer would view polling like this.

Are you going to run one for male characters? - I would be very interested to see how the results compare. And there definitely needs to be one for just best character overall.

No, I wouldn't find it funny. And the male polls have been going for a while now.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

No, I wouldn't find it funny. And the male polls have been going for a while now.

OK. Discussion over I guess. I seem to have riled you in someway which wasn't my intention. Just sharing my thoughts on the poll.

Are you going to do an overall poll?

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Come on Sam, don't you dare get beat out by Miku.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@leebmx said:

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

OK. Discussion over I guess. I seem to have riled you in someway which wasn't my intention. Just sharing my thoughts on the poll.

I'm not riled. I just don't find it as odd as you do, apparently.

And there will not be an overall poll, though there will be a poll for the best generated character of the generation.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

@hailinel said:

@leebmx said:

I'm not riled. I just don't find it as odd as you do, apparently.

And there will not be an overall poll, though there will be a poll for the best generated character of the generation.

I don't see the problem here. Why does it matter if a character is an alien or not, other species totally have females too. Being a good character should matter first. The definition of which being subjective. Thus this poll.

As for the idea of robots being weird labeled as female. I don't see a problem with it here in the case of glados or labrys. They are well done characters overall. Not fembots. I see nothing weird about it. It just so happened valve made a good character who happens to be a robot with a feminine voice.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess not enough people played Gone Home...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By musubi

Lets go Miku!

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@hippie_genocide said:

I played Gone Home, and I don't think Sam Greenbriar is a particularly good character. Especially not compared to some of the other options. Not everyone who played Gone Home thought it was successful at what it was trying to do; I thought it was kinda bullshit.

I would probably say that Alyx Vance or GLaDOS are my favourites from the options, but I voted for Morrigan because I thought she'd be under-represented.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atlas: I go back and forth with myself whether or not the gamewas bullshit, but that's not what this is about is it? Otherwise Hatsune Miku wouldn't have been nominated. Sam was a great character, better than anyone in the Mass Effect series. Suck on that, GB community.

Kain55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Kain55

Wow this is a brutal round. My three favorite female characters are in it, and a few others that are way up on my list. I went with Tali despite thinking GLaDOS is the best female character this generation. I was confident that GLaDOS would be winning handily, and it would appear that my guess was correct.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@donchipotle said:

@artelinarose said:

@donchipotle said:

I keep feeling like I missed a part of Catherine, because Erica's representation boiled down to a punchline when I played it. I know it's referenced throughout the game, but it's always in a manner of "haha, gender ambiguity, haha". I thought Katherine/Catherine played a much better and significant role in that game.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lonnie is better.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By musubi

@atlas: I go back and forth with myself whether or not the gamewas bullshit, but that's not what this is about is it? Otherwise Hatsune Miku wouldn't have been nominated. Sam was a great character, better than anyone in the Mass Effect series. Suck on that, GB community.

Hey, Hey, Hey what? Project Diva is one of the best rhythm games of this generation.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Went with Glados.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Going with my one true love Tali. I felt a profound sense of loss knowing I couldn't keep talking to her in a video-game anymore, and that's something.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Guesty_01

Alyx Vance 6%? You guys are funny.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to go with Tali even though I was super pissed to find that all of the Mass Effect AND Dragon Age characters were in this poll. I get trimming the Mass Effect herd but give DA ladies a fighting chance sheesh. Morrigan and Leliana are my 2 and 3.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d_bones said:

I had to go with Tali even though I was super pissed to find that all of the Mass Effect AND Dragon Age characters were in this poll. I get trimming the Mass Effect herd but give DA ladies a fighting chance sheesh. Morrigan and Leliana are my 2 and 3.

To be honest, this race is closer than I thought it would be. But I grouped all of the Bioware characters into the same group because I'm not keen on seeing a Bioware RPG vs. Bioware RPG final.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edi my waifu

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers