This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by depecheload (495 posts) -

The overwhelming misogyny in gaming culture as of late has literally made me sick to my stomach. I can barely tolerate visiting message boards anymore. It's just disgusting.

To my fellow non-neanderthal gamers out there, are there feminist-friendly gaming message boards around? Any links? I'm not talking about sites where people just talk about feminist issues in related to games. I just mean a site where I can talk to men and women about video games and not be bombarded with sexist comments non-stop.

Only respond to this if you have some links, we already have plenty of threads dedicated to you boys shitting on feminism because you get off on it.

#2 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -
#3 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@depecheload: there are plenty of sites like that. giant bomb is one of them. just dont keep harping on the feminist issue and youll be fine.if some ass hat gets on here,ignore them. if you just want to talk about video games then talk about video games. dont start a topic saying you hate going to disgusting message boards because they offend your feminist leanings and you cant talk about video games. JUST TALK ABOUT VIDEO GAMES!

#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Female correctional facilities might be a little easier, I think so at least.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36066 posts) -

@depecheload said:

I just mean a site where I can talk to men and women about video games and not be bombarded with sexist comments non-stop.

You mean this one? I haven't involved myself too much in the controversy (mainly because I don't think very highly of Tomb Raider in the first place), but most of the people here are pretty cool most of the time.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7054 posts) -

The best way to respond to misogyny is to generalize all men as neanderthals who get off on shitting on feminism. Stooping to their level is so much easier than being more civil than the misogynistic fuckheads.

#7 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre:

get off of this site! you make waaay too much sense. besides,shes a feminist. she doesnt have the time to be tolerate to men as well as women. shes here to talk about feminism!( i mean video games! sorry,im a neanderthal man)

#8 Posted by buft (3301 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

The best way to respond to misogyny is to generalize all men as neanderthals who get off on shitting on feminism. Stooping to their level is so much easier than being more civil than the misogynistic fuckheads.

indeed

#9 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

somethingawful/gaming

they've been gassing the specific threads dedicated to it, but it's largely free of blatant misogyny

#10 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

This was a bad idea

#11 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I don't remember seeing a lot of chauvinistic comments on these boards, but I dunno, gender equality and feminism in general is something I don't really care all that much about personally.

#12 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@deathstriker666: agreed. it has flamebait all over it.

#13 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

@depecheload said:

Only respond to this if you have some links, we already have plenty of threads dedicated to you boys shitting on feminism because you get off on it.

I thought that @MariachiMacabre went a little far. I thought I'd go back and try to figure out what set him off and I found that little gem. Good call on trying to find a place where you don't have to deal with all the things you hate by using the things you hate.

If you'd like to start a real conversation about how the gaming industry is male-dominated and that women need more of a voice and are in dire need of better representation in their characters then you can do so very easily. All you have to do is not come off as an angry feminist. If people come out and rail against you when you've compiled a well formed argument then they'll be shunned by the majority of the people on this website. If however you stoop to that level and decide that the only way to fight fire is with fire you're only going to end up very sad in the end.

If you're looking for message boards with people that are understanding and willing to have a conversation, welcome to Giant Bomb. Seems like 121 posts in you'd see that, unless you spend all your time in Off-topic in which case I get it.

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Any gaming-site that calls itself "Feminist-friendly" will just be trollbait. Besides, it's the internet, you're not the only one who gets sick with certain comments. I would just stay here in GB. People are cool.

#15 Posted by actionTACO (498 posts) -

Uh, there are plenty of gaming sites where you can discuss feminist issues. Just don't bring up feminism at all and you'll do just fine, you dumb broad (I am assuming you're a woman because u like feminism just like a dumb broad would).

#16 Edited by Zacagawea (1585 posts) -

@depecheload said:

The overwhelming misogyny in gaming culture as of late has literally made me sick to my stomach. I can barely tolerate visiting message boards anymore. It's just disgusting.

To my fellow non-neanderthal gamers out there, are there feminist-friendly gaming message boards around? Any links? I'm not talking about sites where people just talk about feminist issues in related to games. I just mean a site where I can talk to men and women about video games and not be bombarded with sexist comments non-stop.

1. You sure? Because everything I've seen you post would lead me to believe the opposite.

2. I don't know what kind of sites you go to, but that just doesn't happen.

#17 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

I second this. I've always thought that the Giant Bomb community was above things like misogyny and was generally more mature but some recent comments by a large amount of commenters made me feel ashamed to be a member. Case in point, comment about Tomb Raider 'Parallel Parking' DLC followed by a hundred 'hur hur hur' comments. To be fair, whether that's sexist or not (it truly is) it's just fucking lame. But yeah, we shouldn't have that discussion now. It's tiring for everyone involved.

Thought I'd struck gold when I discovered this community. Maybe I had, in the greater scheme of the Internet. Still, sadface.

#18 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Toxeia:

agreed. ive seen alot of "girl" gamers online and they never seem to stop talking about how they are girls and they dont get enough respect and so on. i say the same thing everytime.if you want to be taken seriously and have people stop ragging on you then stop focusing on the fact that your a girl. talk about skyrim,talk about how evil DLC is or talk about your favorite game of all time. talk about gamer stuff! i dont casually insert the fact that i have a penis into every conversation i have here or on other boards (maybe i should).

you created this topic with an agenda. to hate on men and draw attention to the fact that your a girl and get pissed that SOME people bash on women,well, welcome to the internets!

#19 Posted by RyanHunt (2 posts) -

If I can shill for my own website/blog (www.ivrytwr.com), it discusses gender issues in video games and gaming culture as well as a number of other topics relating to digital engagement. It doesn't have a forum (yet), but I'd welcome you comments, emails, or if anyone is interested, blog submissions.

#20 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

What exactly is wrong with giantbomb?

#21 Edited by Toxeia (729 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99: Dude, FUCK DLC.

Also I guess we don't know for sure that Depecheload is a gal or guy, but I'd bet on guy just from the handle "Depecheload."

#22 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@RyanHunt: Looks like you've got some great articles! Bookmarked!

#23 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Toxeia: yeah man,dlc can suck my big one lol.

she has to be a chick since shes so hard for feminism.but i guess that makes me look kinda sexist. i dunno. i just dont see many guys up in arms for feminism issues. im stupid i know.

#24 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

@DoctorDanger99: It's the same story on things like Youtube, I like to watch people play guitar covers of songs on Youtube but every one that is uploaded by a girl will undoubtedly have something that will draw attention to the musician being a girl.

Btw, sorry for my comment the other day, didn't mean any offence :P

#25 Posted by RenMcKormack (1072 posts) -

WHY CANT US BE PRO GAEMS!

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

I wouldn't know of any, I'm just a neanderthal after all.

#27 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@mercutio123: no worries man.i dont even remember it.one of the advantages of being a borderline alcholic.

#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

This site is amazing, its the only site where I ever felt welcome as a girl gamer and I've visited a LOT of messageboards and communities!

You're sounding pretty upset about the whole feminist thing going on lately and I kinda agree, but let it slip girl, men have this insane desire to play white knight or pretend they know all the rules and are the only one with the right opinion.

You'll not find better than this site, I'm sure of it.

#29 Posted by TheSlothKing (330 posts) -

@mercutio123: For your own mental health, DON"T READ YOUTUBE COMMENTS, it will rot your brain.

#30 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong:

OMG A GIRL GAMERZ! HIIIEE!!LETS GET OUR CLUBS AND KILL HER BOYS!

honestly,hello.glad to see a fellow sane person.

#31 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

I say we totally derail this thread and crash it into an orphanage or some other building that would be depressing (but we'd all laugh on the inside)

@DoctorDanger99: Borderline alcoholic means you aren't trying hard enough.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This site is amazing, its the only site where I ever felt welcome as a girl gamer and I've visited a LOT of messageboards and communities!
#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14578 posts) -
@TheSlothKing Youtube is by far the worst of the worst for just general hateful bullshit.
#33 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@DoctorDanger99 said:

@TaliciaDragonsong:

OMG A GIRL GAMERZ! HIIIEE!!LETS GET OUR CLUBS AND KILL HER BOYS!

honestly,hello.glad to see a fellow sane person.

#34 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Toxeia: im trying man but its hard!

#35 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: lol is it that obvious? love you profile pic by the way.it looks very familiar.

#36 Posted by sissylion (679 posts) -

@Simplexity said:

gender equality and feminism in general is something I don't really care all that much about personally.

Wh-what? "I don't know, man, racism is pretty cool I guess just don't involve me with it." What the fuck are you saying, dude?

#37 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2572 posts) -

Well, if you really want to spread the net out wide to read points of view that include feminist, queer, disabled, people of color, transgender, poor, gay, lesbian, and others who belong to marginalized groups...there is The Border House. Like any blog some articles are better constructed then others, it is not a professional site and something you read there might not be as well argued as others. Without a doubt it provides a point of view not often seen on other game sites.

For a slighly more mainstream site youn can try the multimedia section of PopMatters. They will not always be talking about social issues, but some writers do take a broader sociological view point of games and what games 'do' and 'mean'. Again, you MUST consider that the writers for PopMatters are not professional game writers, and gaming is not there primary focus.

#38 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

Oh god, I just realized my new avatar could be seen in a VERY poor light in this thread. That's what I get for giving up the creepy priest and not enjoying the siamese twins joined at the taint.

#39 Posted by Galiant (2181 posts) -
@depecheload Your attitude really sucks, and it has nothing to do with being female. As others in this thread have already stated far more eloquently than I, you're going about this all wrong.
#40 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@sissylion: hey,atleast he's being honest and not being a dick to anybody. not to imply you are.

#41 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Feminism: We don't want to be equal, we want to be considered better because all men are Neanderthals.

#42 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@sissylion said:

@Simplexity said:

gender equality and feminism in general is something I don't really care all that much about personally.

Wh-what? "I don't know, man, racism is pretty cool I guess just don't involve me with it." What the fuck are you saying, dude?

That I don't care either way.

#43 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

Here is the thing: People rarely care about your gender unless you post in a fashion either advertising, or otherwise making it very prominent.

Never mention your gender and everyone will assume you are a guy. By that I don't really mean secrecy, but rather subtlty. If you make a big deal about being a woman, people will make a big deal about it as well. If you keep it quiet about it, people will keep quiet about it. Funny how that works.

#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@Bio2hazard said:

Here is the thing: People rarely care about your gender unless you post in a fashion either advertising, or otherwise making it very prominent.

Never mention your gender and everyone will assume you are a guy. By that I don't really mean secrecy, but rather subtlty. If you make a big deal about being a woman, people will make a big deal about it as well. If you keep it quiet about it, people will keep quiet about it. Funny how that works.

I assume everyone is their avatar. but yes, no one gives a fuck. if you are a girl, boy or other.

#45 Posted by TheHT (10915 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

men have this insane desire to play white knight or pretend they know all the rules and are the only one with the right opinion.

ohhhhhhhhh that definitly isn't just men.

#46 Posted by dr_mantas (1804 posts) -

I'm not exactly sure why you would want forums that espouse inequality...

Giant Bomb is egalitarian as FUCK though!

#47 Posted by actionTACO (498 posts) -

Haha, gamers are such giant babbys. This is the Best Thread.

#48 Posted by DoctorDanger99 (686 posts) -

@Dagbiker:

lol.im trying to imagine hearing kermit say some of the things you say and its great.

#49 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I assume everyone is their avatar. but yes, no one gives a fuck. if you are a girl, boy or other.

I do the same thing, Kermit. Trouble is, some users have an avatar of the same character and it weirds me out how they can be in two places at once.

#50 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

The op just wants attention, nothing more, I mean why ask us when you have google for this type a thing? Because the OP wanted attention. -_- If you type feminist friendly gaming sites into google I am sure you will get something informative but instead you ask a website full of non feminists to point you in the direction of a good feminist site because we here fucking suck. Excellent. Mr Burns Excellent. lol