#1  Edited By ranma1
LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By LittleBigJono

I don't mind the CG movie part but if the story isn't great... I dunno, might still give it a shot when the price drops

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

Yeah, this whole "CG movie not a game stuff" is obviously a load of bullshit after playing the demo.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By BabyChooChoo

As much as I hate the FF franchise at the moment, this post wreaks of all the symptoms of a troll thread. Just sayin'...

Also, 8/10 is pretty good and there's bound to be people who enjoy the game so who cares what a random Japanese site gives the game?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Why are things not looking good? FFXIII-2 got a perfect score from Famitsu and as far as I know, an 8 out of 10 isn't a bad score either. Any game will have its negatives, doesn't mean that its a sign of it being a disaster.

ranma1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ranma1

@Zenaxzd said:

Yeah, this whole "CG movie not a game stuff" is obviously a load of bullshit after playing the demo.

given they thought that 53/100 seems too high if thats true. its probably just exaggeration

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

The demo has sold me on the game, i hope it holds up.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait....  When is XIII-2 coming out?

DallasTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DallasTheGamer

@ranma1 said:

http://n4g.com/news/919715/ff13-2-gets-53-100-from-japanese-mk2-website

Some common complaints and comments include:

This is not a game, but a CG movie RPG, story is horrible (and complaints that the ending is a cliff hanger).

Things aint looking good.

I thought it was plenty of game in the demo i just played... but maybe that was all of it??

I wonder what they thought about Metal Gear Solid 4. With it's lenghty cutscenes and all.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands
@Zenaxzd said:
Isn't a demo meant to show engaging parts of a game? Like not the CG stuff? I haven't played it yet but why does the demo give you the impression of what the rest of the game is without having played the rest of the game and knowing that game companies put out demos with the intention to get people to buy a game. Mostly CG wouldn't be all that interesting for a demo.

Now I am not saying that I have a problem with it having a lot of CG, after all I love Xenosaga and the MGS series and I doubt it is true but that seems like a weird thing to say.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
@SuperWristBands: A few things really: 
  • You can open the menu in game and pop up a quest log that tracks every quest in the game so you can keep track of them (it includes ones you have not discovered as well, they are just listed as ???) and there are just loads of them, like a stupid amount really. Probably more than should even be in there.
  • It was clear from the demo that the game seems to be structured around hopping to an area in time and then wandering around it doing quests, exploring, capturing monsters, being creeped out by chocobo ladies, etc. Also you can replay areas from the game, I read somewhere that the boss in the demo (who you have the option of making weaker) is actually beatable at endgame without weakening his power. So you can go back for extra challenge if you want.
  • SE said themselves there is a lack of prerendered scenes in the game, it's why they were able to put it on 1 disc for the 360 as opposed to 3 for FF13. It's also why the DLC costumes will be more meaningful (if you're into that kind of stuff) because in the cutscenes you will be able to see them.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHBK

I wouldn't trust Game Informer, remember they are a Gamestop mag. They are gonna give higher profile games a better score to sell that shit.

Also, remember it is dangerous for any Japanese publication to denounce a FF game.. so maybe that score is also better than it should be...

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperWristBands
@Zenaxzd said:
@SuperWristBands: A few things really: 
  • You can open the menu in game and pop up a quest log that tracks every quest in the game so you can keep track of them (it includes ones you have not discovered as well, they are just listed as ???) and there are just loads of them, like a stupid amount really. Probably more than should even be in there.
  • It was clear from the demo that the game seems to be structured around hopping to an area in time and then wandering around it doing quests, exploring, capturing monsters, being creeped out by chocobo ladies, etc. Also you can replay areas from the game, I read somewhere that the boss in the demo (who you have the option of making weaker) is actually beatable at endgame without weakening his power. So you can go back for extra challenge if you want.
  • SE said themselves there is a lack of prerendered scenes in the game, it's why they were able to put it on 1 disc for the 360 as opposed to 3 for FF13. It's also why the DLC costumes will be more meaningful (if you're into that kind of stuff) because in the cutscenes you will be able to see them.
Cool. Case well made.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob

@FluxWaveZ said:

FFXIII-2 got a perfect score from Famitsu

So? They'll give any crap a perfect score.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clinkz

I actually really enjoyed the demo.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

Uhh...ending is a cliff-hanger? FFXIII-3 then?

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SuperWristBands
@MysteriousBob said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

FFXIII-2 got a perfect score from Famitsu

So? They'll give any crap a perfect score.

They also gave FF XIII a 39/40 if I recall correctly. However you feel about XIII at least you have an idea based on that. If a person didn't like the first game there is no reason for that score to wow them.
InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I never really much care for reviews. I usually know whether I'll like a game before it comes out. Even more so when I play a demo before hand. I enjoyed the demo just like I enjoyed FFXIII and look forward to playing this and seeing the story.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By KaneRobot

A Famitsu endorsement is on the same level as saying "Gamepro gave it a 5 out of 5 for Fun Factor!" It means nothing.

@FluxWaveZ said:

Why are things not looking good? FFXIII-2 got a perfect score from Famitsu
ranma1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ranma1

@will_leisure said:

Uhh...ending is a cliff-hanger? FFXIII-3 then?

possibly

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Deleth

@FluxWaveZ said:

Why are things not looking good? FFXIII-2 got a perfect score from Famitsu and as far as I know, an 8 out of 10 isn't a bad score either. Any game will have its negatives, doesn't mean that its a sign of it being a disaster.

Yes because obviously Famitsu is absolutely honest and would never lie to us, neither would some of the other sites. It's not like they get paid and influenced or something like that and as if Square Enix ever tried such a thing!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Deleth said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Yes because obviously Famitsu is absolutely honest and would never lie to us, neither would some of the other sites. It's not like they get paid and influenced or something like that and as if Square Enix ever tried such a thing!

And Game Informer totally doesn't almost always follow the IGN rating system of 7-10 on nearly every game ever.
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WMWA

You could also just reserve judgement until you play it, if you're interested in the game. That probably makes too much sense, though

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Marz

actually enjoyed the demo alot, but i don't know how representative of the game that is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I hate scores out of a 100. Someone ask that site what the game would have to do to get a 54. Ask them why it didn't get a 52.

Char12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Char12

I have gotten to the point where I really hate review scores, because 90% of the time I disagree with them, with that said I will still be buying it day one, and Im really looking forward to it.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By benjaebe

@TheHBK said:

I wouldn't trust Game Informer, remember they are a Gamestop mag. They are gonna give higher profile games a better score to sell that shit.

Also, remember it is dangerous for any Japanese publication to denounce a FF game.. so maybe that score is also better than it should be...

Believe it or not GameInformer gives out some pretty reasonable scores. I don't think they're under GameStops heel trying to sell every game through reviews in their magazine.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

@Jadeskye said:

The demo has sold me on the game, i hope it holds up.

Ditto here. I loved the demo.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Commisar123

In other news people still have opinions.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By N7
@Commisar123 said:

In other news people still have opinions.

Well fuck them. They don't share MY opinions so they can suck a dick! Final Fantasy is stupid! Until Giant Bomb give sit a 5/5, in which case I love Final Fantasy!
Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grissefar
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Animasta

the demo has allayed most of my concerns, and if you're going into FF for a good story... well. they are never really good, haven't been since 6 (and especially not since 10)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Marokai said:
@Deleth said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

And Game Informer totally doesn't almost always follow the IGN rating system of 7-10 on nearly every game ever.
Alright, so then one bad Japanese review from a source we've never heard of is a sign of things to come. Logical.
mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mesoian

@Zenaxzd said:

Eh...you haven't played the first hour of the game. I can understand why they would say that. The first hour of the game is essentially a movie filled with QTE's.

If there are more sequences like this as time goes on, then that descriptor might be apt.

Ultimately, it sounds like the worst problems that 13 had carry over to 13-2, which was what I was most afraid of.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Pepsiman

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Marokai said:
@Deleth said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Alright, so then one bad Japanese review from a source we've never heard of is a sign of things to come. Logical.

Not that I expect you to know it since it is indeed pretty obscure amongst English-speaking audiences, but MK2 is actually a pretty prominent game site in Japan. I don't visit it regularly, but at the very least, I do know that it seems to not be subject to the same level of derision as Famitsu is among Japanese gamers. (The West isn't the only one to dislike them.) Also, I'm not sure whether the N4G article brings it up (I don't have a membership and I'd rather not get one just to check an article), but that so-called score is simply an average based on user reviews submitted to the site. The individual scores themselves on the page in question run the gamut; some people are flattering, others are even harsher than the average. Take that for what it is, but from what I've seen in this thread, a whole lot of people (including potential the source at N4G) seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill simply because they read between the lines in a language they can't actually read.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ZenaxPure
@Pepsiman: Pretty much no one is going to read your post, which is a shame. However given that it's a user score is super unsurprising.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Pepsiman

@Zenaxzd: I'm okay with the post not being widely read as long as I've disseminated the information. There are whole lot of forum topics like this that tend to comment on the content of Japanese game sites without consulting someone like me who's literate in the language, so I just like to chime in to give a perspective that doesn't rely on Google Translate. But I digress.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Vexxan

Regardless of what scores reviewers are giving this game I'm going to buy it.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grimluck343

@TheHBK said:

Curious, have you ever read GI?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ProfessorEss

@TheHBK said:

Let's just call it a 7 and move on then :)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ProfessorEss

@benjaebe said:

@TheHBK said:

Believe it or not GameInformer gives out some pretty reasonable scores. I don't think they're under GameStops heel trying to sell every game through reviews in their magazine.

If they were they'd give everything a 10/10 to try and sell everything.

Shit they'd probably be more prone to boost lower profile games as they know the high profile ones are gonna move plenty of units anyways.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43  Edited By JasonR86

Where's the link to the Gameinformer review? I went to their site and I don't see it posted there.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dallas_Raines

So good gameplay, terrible story. Sounds like FFXIII to me.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In other news- this thread sounds like the plot a troll would pull.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am amazed by the Game Informer review. 

"I know I'm dwelling on the negative here, but storytelling is an integral part of the RPG genre, and FFXIII-2 screws it up at almost every turn."

Sounds like an 8/10 to me!