#1 Posted by FrankieFigs (11 posts) -

So I've been fiending for a great gangster game as of late and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11906 posts) -

Baccano. Yep.

And The Untouchables was all right, I guess. I'd bet that you've seen the big ones that I already know of, so that's really the only one I can think of that isn't often mentioned. I'm not huge into this genre.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant movie. Whatever, watch Baccano anyway. It's actually a TV show.

#3 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1832 posts) -

@believer258: with a man named after a hot tub you cant go wrong

#4 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

San Andreas? Escargot, my car go, sippin' on booze in the house o' blues

#5 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

Yakuza 3, nothing is more gangster than stomping heads, running an orphanage and yelling "OY! OY! OY!"

#6 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

what have you played and what haven't you if you don't mind me asking. Mafia II was okay, nothing fantastic, but it'll get you through your need to be a gangster. You could always try the first mafia too, while you're at it.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -
@FrankieFigs said:

So I've been fiending for a great gangster game as of late and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Mafia is by far the best. 'Gangsters' was an interesting little management / strategy game. Gangsters 2 is available on the Square Enix store, but I haven't played it yet.
#8 Posted by FrankieFigs (11 posts) -

@believer258: I'll have to check out Baccano.

@EarlessShrimp: I've played the popular stuff like all the GTA titles as well as the more "gangsta" ones like Saints Row. I haven't tried Mafia yet but its in my lineup.

@Jimbo: I'm going to have to check out Gangsters as well. I've never heard of it.

Anything else anyone can think of?

#9 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

Mafia 2 w/ all DLC available new for $19.99. If you wan't gangster (as in fedora wearing thugs) then you can't really get any better than that :)

#10 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I recall enjoying the Godfather games. While I have never played it, but there was also that Scarface game from many years back. All of that said, I too think the best one going is Mafia 2. Had a really good story and characters.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11906 posts) -

@FrankieFigs said:

@believer258: I'll have to check out Baccano.

@EarlessShrimp: I've played the popular stuff like all the GTA titles as well as the more "gangsta" ones like Saints Row. I haven't tried Mafia yet but its in my lineup.

@Jimbo: I'm going to have to check out Gangsters as well. I've never heard of it.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Sleeping Dogs?

#12 Posted by JCTango (1362 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@FrankieFigs said:

So I've been fiending for a great gangster game as of late and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Mafia is by far the best. 'Gangsters' was an interesting little management / strategy game. Gangsters 2 is available on the Square Enix store, but I haven't played it yet.

This man speaks the truth! You have to play Mafia if you're into gangster games.

#13 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

@believer258: Genius. Can't believe I forgot about that one already... :\

#14 Posted by FrankieFigs (11 posts) -

@believer258: Sleeping Dogs is a great game but that's the game that actually stoked my desire to play something with more traditional fedora wearing and tommy gun toting thugs. That, and watching Lawless.

So it looks like most votes are going to Mafia 2. That 19.99 deal looks pretty enticing. I'm going to check out the Gangster titles as well.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11906 posts) -

@FrankieFigs said:

@believer258: Sleeping Dogs is a great game but that's the game that actually stoked my desire to play something with more traditional fedora wearing and tommy gun toting thugs. That, and watching Lawless.

So it looks like most votes are going to Mafia 2. That 19.99 deal looks pretty enticing. I'm going to check out the Gangster titles as well.

In this case definitely watch Baccano. It's animated, and it's weird, but damn is it good. And it has a lot of gangsters being good gangsters, complete with Tommy guns and fedoras.

#16 Posted by Levius (1131 posts) -
@Intelligent_Space_Man

I actually enjoyed The Getaway back on PS2.. never got around to playing the other ones.

All fookin' English and shite, too!

The PSP game was suprisingly fun for an early handheld shooter, its probably virtually unplayable now though. I bet the pool minigame is still pretty cool though.
#17 Posted by Djnuttty (138 posts) -

The getaway was awesome but those stealth sections in the getaway 2 were AWFUL.

#18 Edited by DeF (4887 posts) -
#19 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Another vote for Mafia. Mafia 2 is not bad either. It would be also more easily approachable since its modern.

Looking very much towards Omerta, the upcoming mafia style game from makers of Tropico 3-4

#20 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Mafia in my opinion doesn't hold up anymore because of the dated graphics and the sluggish vehicles and slow gameplay. I loved the story because I experienced it before I knew all the mobster story cliches and its still one of my favorite experiences in games, but its dated now. Mafia 2 is also pretty fun and has great gunplay.

Godfather was really fun but only if you can get the Xbox 360 or PS3 version. Those were advanced versions with tons of new content, mainly being able to hire a bodyguard to follow you everywhere and help take over businesses. The two versions also greatly expanded interiors so they weren't copy and pasted as much. If you can only get the PC version, skip it.

Godfather 2 is the same on all platforms and its pretty fun, if unpolished. You can get a family of up to 7 guys, you can choose what weapons they use and the clothes they wear, and you can have up to 3 follow you around.

Gangland is a fun RTS that takes a few liberties with its universe. Its mostly a 1930's themed mobster game, but there's still stuff like ninjas and afro bodyguards with pink shades and disco clothes. Its a really fun game, if a little hard to get into at first.

The Darkness is a little bit of mobster themed. There's no tommyguns and not very many fedoras, but it has a really good story.

Mob Enforcer is also the greatest game ever made (I'm kidding its terrible)

#21 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -
@aznjon12 said:

Yakuza 3, nothing is more gangster than stomping heads, running an orphanage and yelling "OY! OY! OY!"

the Yakuza series in general is a good choice. 
#22 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

Scarface is cool it had a swear button that made you call people motherfuckers to fill up your balls metre.

#23 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -
#24 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Baccano. Yep.

And The Untouchables was all right, I guess. I'd bet that you've seen the big ones that I already know of, so that's really the only one I can think of that isn't often mentioned. I'm not huge into this genre.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant movie. Whatever, watch Baccano anyway. It's actually a TV show.

I second that motion, and that well everybody should watch Baccano!

#25 Posted by MrVideoGames (30 posts) -

Mafia 2 is worth a play for sure; if you are the mood for Gangsters, it will scratch that itch.

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Godfather 2 is surprisingly good.