Fiending for a quality gangster game.

FrankieFigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrankieFigs

So I've been fiending for a great gangster game as of late and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Baccano. Yep.

And The Untouchables was all right, I guess. I'd bet that you've seen the big ones that I already know of, so that's really the only one I can think of that isn't often mentioned. I'm not huge into this genre.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant movie. Whatever, watch Baccano anyway. It's actually a TV show.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@believer258: with a man named after a hot tub you cant go wrong

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

San Andreas? Escargot, my car go, sippin' on booze in the house o' blues

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By aznjon12

Yakuza 3, nothing is more gangster than stomping heads, running an orphanage and yelling "OY! OY! OY!"

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By EarlessShrimp

what have you played and what haven't you if you don't mind me asking. Mafia II was okay, nothing fantastic, but it'll get you through your need to be a gangster. You could always try the first mafia too, while you're at it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo
@FrankieFigs said:

So I've been fiending for a great gangster game as of late and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Mafia is by far the best. 'Gangsters' was an interesting little management / strategy game. Gangsters 2 is available on the Square Enix store, but I haven't played it yet.
FrankieFigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FrankieFigs

@believer258: I'll have to check out Baccano.

@EarlessShrimp: I've played the popular stuff like all the GTA titles as well as the more "gangsta" ones like Saints Row. I haven't tried Mafia yet but its in my lineup.

@Jimbo: I'm going to have to check out Gangsters as well. I've never heard of it.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

Mafia 2 w/ all DLC available new for $19.99. If you wan't gangster (as in fedora wearing thugs) then you can't really get any better than that :)

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By crusader8463

I recall enjoying the Godfather games. While I have never played it, but there was also that Scarface game from many years back. All of that said, I too think the best one going is Mafia 2. Had a really good story and characters.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin258

@FrankieFigs said:

@believer258: I'll have to check out Baccano.

@EarlessShrimp: I've played the popular stuff like all the GTA titles as well as the more "gangsta" ones like Saints Row. I haven't tried Mafia yet but its in my lineup.

@Jimbo: I'm going to have to check out Gangsters as well. I've never heard of it.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Sleeping Dogs?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By JCTango

@Jimbo said:

@FrankieFigs said:

Mafia is by far the best. 'Gangsters' was an interesting little management / strategy game. Gangsters 2 is available on the Square Enix store, but I haven't played it yet.

This man speaks the truth! You have to play Mafia if you're into gangster games.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@believer258: Genius. Can't believe I forgot about that one already... :\

FrankieFigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FrankieFigs

@believer258: Sleeping Dogs is a great game but that's the game that actually stoked my desire to play something with more traditional fedora wearing and tommy gun toting thugs. That, and watching Lawless.

So it looks like most votes are going to Mafia 2. That 19.99 deal looks pretty enticing. I'm going to check out the Gangster titles as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Justin258

@FrankieFigs said:

@believer258: Sleeping Dogs is a great game but that's the game that actually stoked my desire to play something with more traditional fedora wearing and tommy gun toting thugs. That, and watching Lawless.

So it looks like most votes are going to Mafia 2. That 19.99 deal looks pretty enticing. I'm going to check out the Gangster titles as well.

In this case definitely watch Baccano. It's animated, and it's weird, but damn is it good. And it has a lot of gangsters being good gangsters, complete with Tommy guns and fedoras.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Levius
@Intelligent_Space_Man

I actually enjoyed The Getaway back on PS2.. never got around to playing the other ones.

All fookin' English and shite, too!

The PSP game was suprisingly fun for an early handheld shooter, its probably virtually unplayable now though. I bet the pool minigame is still pretty cool though.
Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The getaway was awesome but those stealth sections in the getaway 2 were AWFUL.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DeF
kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By kalmis

Another vote for Mafia. Mafia 2 is not bad either. It would be also more easily approachable since its modern.

Looking very much towards Omerta, the upcoming mafia style game from makers of Tropico 3-4

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Mafia in my opinion doesn't hold up anymore because of the dated graphics and the sluggish vehicles and slow gameplay. I loved the story because I experienced it before I knew all the mobster story cliches and its still one of my favorite experiences in games, but its dated now. Mafia 2 is also pretty fun and has great gunplay.

Godfather was really fun but only if you can get the Xbox 360 or PS3 version. Those were advanced versions with tons of new content, mainly being able to hire a bodyguard to follow you everywhere and help take over businesses. The two versions also greatly expanded interiors so they weren't copy and pasted as much. If you can only get the PC version, skip it.

Godfather 2 is the same on all platforms and its pretty fun, if unpolished. You can get a family of up to 7 guys, you can choose what weapons they use and the clothes they wear, and you can have up to 3 follow you around.

Gangland is a fun RTS that takes a few liberties with its universe. Its mostly a 1930's themed mobster game, but there's still stuff like ninjas and afro bodyguards with pink shades and disco clothes. Its a really fun game, if a little hard to get into at first.

The Darkness is a little bit of mobster themed. There's no tommyguns and not very many fedoras, but it has a really good story.

Mob Enforcer is also the greatest game ever made (I'm kidding its terrible)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@aznjon12 said:

Yakuza 3, nothing is more gangster than stomping heads, running an orphanage and yelling "OY! OY! OY!"

the Yakuza series in general is a good choice. 
Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sploder

Scarface is cool it had a swear button that made you call people motherfuckers to fill up your balls metre.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung
Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Genkkaku

@believer258 said:

Baccano. Yep.

And The Untouchables was all right, I guess. I'd bet that you've seen the big ones that I already know of, so that's really the only one I can think of that isn't often mentioned. I'm not huge into this genre.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant movie. Whatever, watch Baccano anyway. It's actually a TV show.

I second that motion, and that well everybody should watch Baccano!

MrVideoGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrVideoGames

Mafia 2 is worth a play for sure; if you are the mood for Gangsters, it will scratch that itch.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Phatmac

Godfather 2 is surprisingly good.