#1 Edited by fiftiethmitch (15 posts) -

After the huge success of the Mortal Kombat reboot last year (And how well Jeff convinced me with all the talk of Johnny Cage's nut punch), I just had to get it when I saw it on sale for 15 bucks a few months back. And so, my dormant love of fighting games resurfaced and I became addicted for the first time since Tekken 3 came out on the PlayStation. With how well MK9 was received both critically and sales-wise, does anyone think that either the Street Fighter or the Tekken series could use a reboot in the same fashion? If so, which would you prefer to see recreated and why?

Also, if you feel there's another fighting franchise that's more in need of some serious overhauling i'd love to hear it :D

For clarity, I mean reboot the fiction and focus on making a fun, lengthy and rewarding single player campaign and story AS WELL as great multiplayer and deep fighting mechanics. Tekken and Street Fighter both have mechanics that reward skill over button mashing, but are seriously lacking in the single player campaign and story department IMO.

#2 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

Bring back Bushido Blade!

The concept of that game was novel as hell. The closest we've gotten since it was the Deadliest Warrior games and they didn't have the interactive stages like it.

#3 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

You know what? Brad and Jeff can stuff it. I really want a new Killer Instinct. I remember playing the hell out of the SNES version with a buddy, finding all the secrets, doing all the ultimate combos on the sky arena. That game was awesome. I don't care what those two say. Hmph.

RIPTOR FOR LIFE!

#4 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

One Must Fall: 2097

I absolutely loved that game as a kid. That game was so much fun. I wonder if I can buy it anywhere...

#5 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

One Must Fall: 2097

I absolutely loved that game as a kid. That game was so much fun. I wonder if I can buy it anywhere...

The wiki says it's online as freeware. Here

#6 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

@Inkerman: Thanks. I saw that page when I searching to buy, but didn't realize it was actually legit. I may have to play this when I get a chance. Thanks again.

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4037 posts) -
Darkstalkers

The lengths I would go to for a new game would definitely frighten some people...

#8 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

I'm no fighting game expert, but Street Fighter IV kind of felt the same to me that Street Fighter always has so I see no need for a reboot. Tekken? I'm not a Tekken fan so I have no idea.

#9 Posted by fiftiethmitch (15 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy: I fully agree. The Killer Instinct machine at the service station down the road from my house got about 8 months' worth of 11 year old me's allowance before some curious individual decided to find out what was behind the screen. With a hockey stick.

#10 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@fiftiethmitch said:

Street Fighter [...] series could use a reboot in the same fashion?

Have you been living under a rock for the past five years?

#11 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3626 posts) -

@fiftiethmitch: That's sacrilege. I hope he was punished severely.

#12 Posted by projectino (24 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@fiftiethmitch said:

Street Fighter [...] series could use a reboot in the same fashion?

Have you been living under a rock for the past five years?

Yea, what do you think made fighting games relevant again?

#13 Posted by Hunter5024 (5165 posts) -

Tekken kind of lost me in the last one when they introduced Robot Chick, and they were all "Jin is EVIL now... Nevermind!" and "Here's another Mishima, pretty cool huh?" I wouldn't mind a reboot of that game, because I don't see where else they could go with it story wise without bloating the cast even further.

#14 Posted by niamahai (1402 posts) -

Ballz.

#15 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1210 posts) -

I would like a reboot to Gundam Battle Assault, the first one was an awesome fighting game but the sequels went into weird 3d arena fighters.

#16 Posted by fiftiethmitch (15 posts) -

@projectino: I meant a TOTAL reboot. Street Fighter 4 didn't restart the whole story and has a number on the end. And the story mode seriously just doesn't compare with Mortal Kombat. Just personal opinion though, they're both incredible games

#17 Edited by churrific (457 posts) -

@fiftiethmitch said:

@projectino: I meant a TOTAL reboot. Street Fighter 4 didn't restart the whole story and has a number on the end. And the story mode seriously just doesn't compare with Mortal Kombat. Just personal opinion though, they're both incredible games

Honestly, I think MK's the only prolific fighting game franchise that has ever reached that level of low opinion regarding its fiction, resulting from the myriad of shitty fighting/platforming games and convoluted story telling. It needed to wipe the slate clean because just wtf was going on? I don't think Street Fighter needs a story reboot as it's never had to depend on story to carry its games like MK has. It can be as convoluted as it wants to be. The mechanics and fighting engine are what makes SF special for me. Tekken may need a reboot soon though. It's kinda wonky in a bad way too. Take my opinions with a grain of salt though. I'm saying this as only a casual fan of any fighting game fiction. I come to fighting games for the fighting first and foremost. Story is a distant secondary priority for me.

#18 Posted by NostalgicShakedown (132 posts) -

Personally I would love to see how they would reboot Primal Rage.

Killer Instinct would be another good one and maybe even the Fatal Fury series as in after Terry and co. joined in on the King of Fighters tournaments, what would happen next for the crew as well as seeing how the game mechanics can be used in multiplayer mode since the days of "Mark of the Wolves".

#19 Posted by Carryboy (589 posts) -

@fiftiethmitch said:

After the huge success of the Mortal Kombat reboot last year (And how well Jeff convinced me with all the talk of Johnny Cage's nut punch), I just had to get it when I saw it on sale for 15 bucks a few months back. And so, my dormant love of fighting games resurfaced and I became addicted for the first time since Tekken 3 came out on the PlayStation. With how well MK9 was received both critically and sales-wise, does anyone think that either the Street Fighter or the Tekken series could use a reboot in the same fashion? If so, which would you prefer to see recreated and why?

Also, if you feel there's another fighting franchise that's more in need of some serious overhauling i'd love to hear it :D

For clarity, I mean reboot the fiction and focus on making a fun, lengthy and rewarding single player campaign and story AS WELL as great multiplayer and deep fighting mechanics. Tekken and Street Fighter both have mechanics that reward skill over button mashing, but are seriously lacking in the single player campaign and story department IMO.

I haven't got anywhere near as much experience with Tekken so ill just talk about street fighter, I don't think it is need of a reboot street fighter 4 is very different to any street fighter game before it. Alot of people say its like 2 but it really isn't close. I do however think more single player options would be cool for example a proper tutorial there is no reason why they shouldn't have a tutorial (except maybe a patent) explaining stuff like option selects to new players.

#20 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2994 posts) -

I want more Clayfighters.

#21 Posted by FLStyle (4395 posts) -

@fiftiethmitch said:

Street Fighter 4 restarted the fighting game genre, what people think of its story mode is irrelevant. In fact you're putting way too much stock in the importance of story modes in fighting games. If you think a fighting game series is going to have a complete reboot just because of its story then you're out of your mind.

#22 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -

After playing Bloody Roar for the PS2 a couple weeks ago I can definitely say not that one. 

I really want a new DarkStalkers.

#23 Edited by Chaser324 (5955 posts) -

While it's not a fighting game in the strictest sense, I would really like to see a new entry in the Def Jam wrestling/fighting game series. I have extremely fond memories of it.

Moderator Online
#24 Posted by CODA117 (30 posts) -

Need a new Darkstalkers...That game had some craziest characters and amazing animations when it and it's sequels came out. CAPCOM should really bring back that franchise.

#25 Posted by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -
#26 Posted by fiftiethmitch (15 posts) -

@churrific: I totally appreciate that story is secondary, but wouldn't it have been awesome if SF4 came out with a story mode that was well made and engaging on top of the already excellent combat? The way I see it, MK proved it could be done, and I want to see what developers like Capcom would produce if they really put the time and funding into it.

#27 Posted by TeflonBilly (4722 posts) -

@NostalgicShakedown said:

Personally I would love to see how they would reboot Primal Rage.

Only if they make the characters out of super hi-res renders of claymation/animatronic puppets. Fuck a bunch of polygons!

Speaking of big monsters, you know what series had an awesome concept, but some truly horrendous games? King Of Monsters.

I'd love to see someone make a successful crack at that. Maybe mix up the gameplay with some Power Stone-esque characteristics.

#28 Posted by fiftiethmitch (15 posts) -

@FLStyl: I'm not saying they need to change the fighting, I meant a reboot of the fiction, expanding on it and making it WORTH caring about. Yes, the fighting is by far and away the most important aspect, but there's no reason that it couldn't also have a campaign and story that was compelling enough to make it more than just a shallow arcade mode, as most fighting game's campaigns seem to be (The ones i've played, at least).