fighting games with worthwhile story modes

S3v3nS1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've never been a fan of the fighting genre. I never enjoyed the crazy button combo's or just the gameplay in general. But recently I've really enjoyed Mortal Kombat 2011, Injustice Gods Among Us and Persona 4 Arena. I still disliked the gameplay as much as I always have but I was really surprised how well the story modes were made. I never realized that fighting games could have decent story modes before. I've dismissed a lot of games because they were fighters so my question is are there any other fighters with worthwhile story modes like those three I mentioned?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BlazBlue and Guilty Gear games have massive story modes.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karmosin

Blazblue I guess, but I don't know if I would call it a good story though. The characters are alright though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@s3v3ns1ns: Tekken games generally have poor stories as you play them but ridiculous CGI endings as you beat them with each character, which are usually fun.

It is odd how much storyline you have to absorb through secondary channels if you actually care about the world fighting games attempt to build. Generally it mostly seems to be delivered through website copy or FAQ summations, in my limited experience with the genre.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By theacidskull

The new Mortal Kombat Reboot, and Injustice.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I remember MKvsDC having a story similar to MK9 (in that it had lots of cutscenes between fights), but I don't remember if it was as good as MK9. Also Def Jam Vendetta was pretty dumb in the best possible way.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@rorie said:

@s3v3ns1ns: Tekken games generally have poor stories as you play them but ridiculous CGI endings as you beat them with each character, which are usually fun.

It is odd how much storyline you have to absorb through secondary channels if you actually care about the world fighting games attempt to build. Generally it mostly seems to be delivered through website copy or FAQ summations, in my limited experience with the genre.

It's really frustrating to see loads of detail in the world of Street Fighter but to never see it implemented in the games. Definitely check out SFAF when you have a spare 2+1/2 hours.

Loading Video...

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe has a great story and you can find it for pretty cheap now. That was actually the game that made me make the jump to the "next gen" consoles. I bought a PS3 just for this game and it did not disappoint.

Here is the story mode trailer. It operates in the same fashion as MK9 and Injustice.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's a really huge anime fighter with visual novel elements similar to P4A that'll be coming stateside within the year called Under Night in-Birth that is apparently already a pretty popular arcade fighter in Japan.

It's actually getting released for Japanese PS3s on July 24th, so I'd definitely keep an eye out to see how that gets received over there as it's getting localized in the U.S. 2015.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@equitasinvictus: Hadn't heard of this before, seems like it'd be right up my alley though.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By csl316

@flstyle said:

@rorie said:

It's really frustrating to see loads of detail in the world of Street Fighter but to never see it implemented in the games. Definitely check out SFAF when you have a spare 2+1/2 hours.

Loading Video...

I planned to watch the prologue one night, and ended up watching the whole damn thing.

Also, I remember getting into the story side of Street Fighter Alpha 3. It's certainly not an MK sort of thing and I haven't played it in years, but I remember a lot about the story for some reason.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MK9 and Injustice .

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I never played MK9, but I don't share the admiration that Injustice's story mode is getting here. It's true that Injustice had a passable story and that story was presented fairly well - and that alone puts it ahead of a lot of other fighting games. The style of the campaign, however, made it so that you were constantly fumbling around with characters you didn't understand, and as soon as you started getting good with one, you were playing as another. On top of that, there were a handful of characters you never played as at all.

As a format, I prefer the Namco/Team Ninja (though I guess DOA has gotten away from this in 5?) styled campaigns that are centered around a single character of your choosing. If someone could combine that format with the coherence of the NetherRealms games, that would be the ideal for me.