Fighting JRPG Stereotypes #1: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

The JRPG genre is, like any other genre, rife with cliche.  The spikey-haired teen hero.  Amnesia.  A game of repeatedly pressing X.  Combat that hasn't evolved in a decade.  Given recent heated debate on this topic (which is neither new, nor likely to go away any time soon), I thought it might be a good idea to revisit some noteworthy titles in the genre and see exactly how stereotypical they are.  First up:  Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne.

Basic Premise

The day starts off fairly normal, but the world goes straight to hell before your first random encounter.
 The day starts off fairly normal, but the world goes straight to hell before your first random encounter.
The story of Nocturne begins in modern-day Tokyo and puts the player in the role of a normal high school student who meets up with two friends in order to visit their teacher in the hospital.  Things quickly go awry when they discover that the hospital is deserted, and the protagonist stumbles across a cult leader planning to sacrifice the teacher to bring about the end of the world.  Except that the teacher is perfectly willing to go along with this plan.  And the plan succeeds within the first half-hour of the game.  The world is now nothing more than the twisted, demon-infested remains of Tokyo, the Vortex World.  To make things more complicated, the protagonist is transformed into the half-human/half-demon creature that comes to be known as the Demi-Fiend.

The question Nocturne poses isn't how will the world be saved, but rather "Now what?"

Cliche Factor:  Non-existent.  Nocturne isn't a game about saving the world, but rather finding your place in a destroyed world preparing to be reborn, whether that be by shaping the new reality with the power of a Reason, or by forging your own path.

The Protagonist

The protagonist in Nocturne is a nameless teenager to whom the player can give a first and last name, as well as a nickname.  As the Demi-Fiend, the few remaining humans fighting to establish their Reasons each want his help to fulfill their own agendas.  He is allowed to follow any of those paths, or none, at the player's choice.  He wields no weapon save his fists; his only equipment are the magatama, parasites that grant him stat boosts, elemental strengths and weaknesses, and the ability to learn new skills when leveling up.

Cliche Factor:  The Demi-Fiend is definitely a "chosen one," in that a character chooses to transform him into the Demi-Fiend, but he was not born into his destiny.  His equipment and skill growth are also unusual for the typical standards of the genre.

The Party

The player's party is composed of the Demi-Fiend and a cadre of demons that join his side through either negotiation or fusion.  The character Dante from Capcom's Devil May Cry also appears as an optional party member, but none are of significant story importance.  The player receives a Game Over only if the Demi-Fiend falls in battle.  The large number of demons in the game ensures that no two players are likely to play through the game with the exact same line-ups.

Cliche Factor:  The demon party member aspect in Nocturne is not entirely unlike Pokemon, but it's also a far cry from the rogue's gallery of standard RPG party member tropes.

The Combat

Combat Style: Turn-based

In Nocturne, pressing X until the victory screen appears is asking for death.  Combat is predicated on understanding the elemental strengths and weaknesses of both the enemy and the player's party.  Stat boosting/reducing skills don't reach their full effectiveness until multiple castings have been completed.  Turns aren't strict one-and-done affairs, either, as effective exploitation of enemy weaknesses extends the player's turn.  (Of course, the same holds true for the enemies.)  The combat is also exceptionally brutal.  Failing to take the Demi-Fiend's weaknesses into account can lead to a swift demise.

Cliche Factor:  This game in no way subscribes to the notion of making victory as easy as pressing X until all enemies are dead.  Even a random encounter can pose a significant threat if you aren't paying attention.

Final Thoughts

The girl in the first screen shot?  Same person!
Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne is a prime example of how not all JRPGs are the same.  While it does extend into a few familiar tropes with its main character, the overall premise is nothing like a standard save-the-world affair.  Overall, the game is the antithesis of what is thought of as the stereotypical JRPG; the sword-wielding, spiky-haired hero out to save the world from an ancient evil.  In Nocturne, evil is relative; not even the cult leader responsible for the apocalypse is as bad as some of the game's other characters.  You can even side with him, if that's what you want.  Its for reasons such as these that the game breaks free of the chiche mold and is one of the most unique RPGs on the PS2 or any other platform.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

The JRPG genre is, like any other genre, rife with cliche.  The spikey-haired teen hero.  Amnesia.  A game of repeatedly pressing X.  Combat that hasn't evolved in a decade.  Given recent heated debate on this topic (which is neither new, nor likely to go away any time soon), I thought it might be a good idea to revisit some noteworthy titles in the genre and see exactly how stereotypical they are.  First up:  Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne.

Basic Premise

The story of Nocturne begins in modern-day Tokyo and puts the player in the role of a normal high school student who meets up with two friends in order to visit their teacher in the hospital.  Things quickly go awry when they discover that the hospital is deserted, and the protagonist stumbles across a cult leader planning to sacrifice the teacher to bring about the end of the world.  Except that the teacher is perfectly willing to go along with this plan.  And the plan succeeds within the first half-hour of the game.  The world is now nothing more than the twisted, demon-infested remains of Tokyo, the Vortex World.  To make things more complicated, the protagonist is transformed into the half-human/half-demon creature that comes to be known as the Demi-Fiend.

The question Nocturne poses isn't how will the world be saved, but rather "Now what?"

Cliche Factor:  Non-existent.  Nocturne isn't a game about saving the world, but rather finding your place in a destroyed world preparing to be reborn, whether that be by shaping the new reality with the power of a Reason, or by forging your own path.

The Protagonist

The protagonist in Nocturne is a nameless teenager to whom the player can give a first and last name, as well as a nickname.  As the Demi-Fiend, the few remaining humans fighting to establish their Reasons each want his help to fulfill their own agendas.  He is allowed to follow any of those paths, or none, at the player's choice.  He wields no weapon save his fists; his only equipment are the magatama, parasites that grant him stat boosts, elemental strengths and weaknesses, and the ability to learn new skills when leveling up.

Cliche Factor:  The Demi-Fiend is definitely a "chosen one," in that a character chooses to transform him into the Demi-Fiend, but he was not born into his destiny.  His equipment and skill growth are also unusual for the typical standards of the genre.

The Party

The player's party is composed of the Demi-Fiend and a cadre of demons that join his side through either negotiation or fusion.  The character Dante from Capcom's Devil May Cry also appears as an optional party member, but none are of significant story importance.  The player receives a Game Over only if the Demi-Fiend falls in battle.  The large number of demons in the game ensures that no two players are likely to play through the game with the exact same line-ups.

Cliche Factor:  The demon party member aspect in Nocturne is not entirely unlike Pokemon, but it's also a far cry from the rogue's gallery of standard RPG party member tropes.

The Combat

Combat Style: Turn-based

In Nocturne, pressing X until the victory screen appears is asking for death.  Combat is predicated on understanding the elemental strengths and weaknesses of both the enemy and the player's party.  Stat boosting/reducing skills don't reach their full effectiveness until multiple castings have been completed.  Turns aren't strict one-and-done affairs, either, as effective exploitation of enemy weaknesses extends the player's turn.  (Of course, the same holds true for the enemies.)  The combat is also exceptionally brutal.  Failing to take the Demi-Fiend's weaknesses into account can lead to a swift demise.

Cliche Factor:  This game in no way subscribes to the notion of making victory as easy as pressing X until all enemies are dead.  Even a random encounter can pose a significant threat if you aren't paying attention.

Final Thoughts

Shin Megami Tensei:  Nocturne is a prime example of how not all JRPGs are the same.  While it does extend into a few familiar tropes with its main character, the overall premise is nothing like a standard save-the-world affair.  Overall, the game is the antithesis of what is thought of as the stereotypical JRPG; the sword-wielding, spiky-haired hero out to save the world from an ancient evil.  In Nocturne, evil is relative; not even the cult leader responsible for the apocalypse is as bad as some of the game's other characters.  You can even side with him, if that's what you want.  Its for reasons such as these that the game breaks free of the chiche mold and is one of the most unique RPGs on the PS2 or any other platform.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Basic premise: Cliche, but not in your typical JRPG way. More like the Fallout 3/Road Warrior/every post-Apocalypse thing ever.
Protagonist: Not cliche, but don't say he wasn't born into it, since that's been done before within the genre. Many times.
Party: OK, you pretty much said it.
Combat: Again, nothing.

Now I wish for this to be done with Panzer Dragoon Saga. Make it happen. So I decree.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Symphony

Darn, you beat me to the punch with this idea. Great concept, enjoyable read, and a terrific game to kick it off with.

I'm sure you can already think of a dozen or two games to use for the next one of these so I won't bore you with suggestion ;P

I just hope those dead set in their ignorance of the genre actually read this and maybe even give such games a chance.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Cornman89

A rundown of common JRPG cliches and you didn't mention magi-technology? For shame! :D

Anyway, excellent write-up. SMT: Nocturne, for me, avoids a literal minefield of cliches simply because it's a JRPG that takes place in the real world, in modern times. And as you said, it's less about saving the world and more about "Oh fuck, the world's already boned, now what do we do?"

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

Ugh...obviously there are going to be JRPGs that break some of the stereotypes but showing people a list of JRPGs that don't pertain to one of the stereotypes proves nothing. Any dumbass with a brain knows that there will be exceptions.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Milkman said:
" Ugh...obviously there are going to be JRPGs that break some of the stereotypes but showing people a list of JRPGs that don't pertain to one of the stereotypes proves nothing. Any dumbass with a brain knows that there will be exceptions. "
Maybe he's showing that not all games in the genre follow the mold? That you shouldn't single out one genre for something every genre does? That maybe those who criticize JRPGs should play more of them? I could go on.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hailinel
@Symphony said:
" Darn, you beat me to the punch with this idea. Great concept, enjoyable read, and a terrific game to kick it off with.  I'm sure you can already think of a dozen or two games to use for the next one of these so I won't bore you with suggestion ;P  I just hope those dead set in their ignorance of the genre actually read this and maybe even give such games a chance. "
Thanks.  And well, we can only hope I guess. ;)

@Video_Game_King said:
" Basic premise: Cliche, but not in your typical JRPG way. More like the Fallout 3/Road Warrior/every post-Apocalypse thing ever. Protagonist: Not cliche, but don't say he wasn't born into it, since that's been done before within the genre. Many times.Party: OK, you pretty much said it. Combat: Again, nothing.  Now I wish for this to be done with Panzer Dragoon Saga. Make it happen. So I decree. "

I'd disagree with the Fallout 3/Road Warrior comparison.  While Fallout 3 is certainly post-apocalyptic, the nature of the apocalypse itself doesn't play a direct role in the overarching story of the game.  Rather, the nuclear wasteland is simply a setting established generations ago.  In Nocturne, the game begins in a normal world and is subsequently destroyed.

And man, I would so love to play Panzer Dragoon Saga.  It's a shame that the game is as ridiculously rare as it is.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

Still, play it. PDS is one of those games that is impossible to hate. Just try it. Resisting your love of that game is like resisting your desire to punch Joey Fatone in the face.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Milkman
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Milkman said:
" Ugh...obviously there are going to be JRPGs that break some of the stereotypes but showing people a list of JRPGs that don't pertain to one of the stereotypes proves nothing. Any dumbass with a brain knows that there will be exceptions. "
Maybe he's showing that not all games in the genre follow the mold? That you shouldn't single out one genre for something every genre does? That maybe those who criticize JRPGs should play more of them? I could go on. "
Everyone knows that not ALL games follow the mold. That's why Persona (yeah, I know it's not Persona. Shin Megami Tensei, whatever, same thing) is easily the best JRPG franchise of the current generation because it follows none of the JPRG stereotypes. Except, maybe, the combat.

But the fact still remains that for every Nocturne, there's a Tales of Vesperia (which I enjoyed a lot, by the way), or a Eternal Sonata that sticks to these stereotypes.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel
@Milkman said:
This isn't a list of games, if you haven't noticed.  I'm taking time to explore how individual games conform to or break free from stereotypes.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By bonbolapti

SMT is guilty of soo much of it's own cliche though. :(
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
@Milkman: Yet people are quick to judge the genre as a whole by stereotypes.  I'm setting out to identify how and why that isn't the case for all games.

In any event, if you don't like what I'm writing, feel free to stop reading.
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cornman89
@Hailinel said:

" @Milkman said:

This isn't a list of games, if you haven't noticed.  I'm taking time to explore how individual games conform to or break free from stereotypes. "
Does that mean you'll be spotlighting the worst examples as well as the best? In other words, are we going to get a Tales game in here eventually? :D

EDIT: On second thought, there might be enough of that online already...
SadisticApathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By SadisticApathy

Nice write-up man. It make me feel even worse for not having played this game or the Digital Devil Saga games yet. While it seems like it follows a few of the cliches the genre is known for, it sounds like it generally breaks the mold. I've had this game on my radar since I played Persona 4 and I do intend on getting it soon!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel
@Cornman89 said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @Milkman said:

This isn't a list of games, if you haven't noticed.  I'm taking time to explore how individual games conform to or break free from stereotypes. "
Does that mean you'll be spotlighting the worst examples as well as the best? In other words, are we going to get a Tales game in here eventually? :D  EDIT: On second thought, there might be enough of that online already... "
Since not every game breaks the mold as clearly as Nocturne, I imagine I'll be covering how certain games conform to stereotypes even as they break from others.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Afroman269

It would be nice to have something to filter the games that break the stereotype as you say because I do not have the time to filter through the genre myself so I encourage you to write on about more of these games, so when I have the time, I will try some of them out.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By vidiot

Damn right Hailinel! I applaud this blog.

I think there is a certain level of nativity, more importantly inexperience with gamers who might have been turned off to the genre after periods of over saturation. 

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18  Edited By Symphony
@vidiot said:
" Damn right Hailinel! I applaud this blog.

I think there is a certain level of nativity, more importantly inexperience with gamers who might have been turned off to the genre after periods of over saturation.  "
Indeed, there is a certain level of nativity when it comes to such gamers! 

*tickles Vidiot and runs off*
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Turambar
@Milkman: Yes, every dumbass with a brain would know that there are exceptions to the rule, and that there are always games within a genre that is free from the stereotypical trappings.  Sadly, dumbassess without brains are all too common place so here's some food for their thoughts.
eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By eirikr

True story: As a primarily JRPG player, I grew sick to death of them midway through last gen (from quality and content issues). However, Nocturne restored my faith in JRPGs. And by that, I mean just about the only JRPGs I play anymore are Shin Megami Tensei. 

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By vidiot
@Symphony said:
" @vidiot said:
" Damn right Hailinel! I applaud this blog.

I think there is a certain level of nativity, more importantly inexperience with gamers who might have been turned off to the genre after periods of over saturation.  "
Indeed, there is a certain level of nativity when it comes to such gamers! 

*tickles Vidiot and runs off* "
FOR GODSAKE FIREFOX SPELL CHECKER! (^#@!)&*^@!*^@#! 

I'm in the Christmas spirit! That was planned!
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thecleric

combat isn't cliche? being pokemon isn't cliche?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
@thecleric said:
" combat isn't cliche? being pokemon isn't cliche? "
It's certainly not cliche in the sense that mindlessly pressing X will lead you to victory.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake

Seems like JRPGs are the trend to talk about these days. Anyway great blog Halinel. I haven't played Nocturne yet but I've heard a lot of good things about it so I'll get around to playing it eventually, assuming that I can find a copy. I love JRPGs but the cliches in them really drag them down so I guess this should be interesting one way or another.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust

Interesting read.  I have this game sitting on a shelf.  I need to actually sit down and play it someday.  But, I'm in the middle of four others and I just picked up Torchlight since it was on sale.  Ah well, I'll get around to it at some point. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Hailinel said:

" @Milkman: Yet people are quick to judge the genre as a whole by stereotypes.  I'm setting out to identify how and why that isn't the case for all games. "

Exactly.  Listening to many gaming podcasts, I frequently hear people who say they loved JRPGs as a kid and they don't like them anymore because they always have spiky haired, emo teenager androgynous heroes and all those other cliches.  And then they go on to mention all these recent games they're not excited for for that reason and I get frustrated when they don't mention games such as Persona 4 or Devil Survivor.  This is an excellent idea.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust

Interesting... I'll play it if i can. :) 

I never thought it was such a gem.

And great blog by the way!

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Axersia

Great blog. I've already played the game and consider it to be one of my favorite RPGs of all time, so obviously I didn't need to be convinced to go out and play it, but it was still a good read. Hope you dedicate a blog post to Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter and Valkyrie Profile 2 as well in the near future. They are IMO the most hardcore an unconventional RPGs on the PS2 (I suppose one might add Baroque to that list as well, but unlike BOF5 and VP2 it's not actually that good of a game...)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Axersia said:
(I suppose one might add Baroque to that list as well, but unlike BOF5 and VP2 it's not actually that good of a game...) "
I don't think he's gonna do VP2. Doesn't exactly like it.