• 105 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4160 posts) -

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime feels "very good" about the Wii U value proposition heading into this holiday, and isn't fazed much by the competition.

"It's all about the games. The competitive systems have announced their launch lineups. I'm allowed to say 'Meh,'" Fils-Aime told IGN. "I look at our lineup of titles and I feel good about our lineup." ..

"We've got Zelda. We've got Mario. We've got Donkey Kong," Fils-Aime added. "In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we're putting out there for the consumer." ..

GameSpot: Nintendo president says "meh" to Xbox One, PS4 launch software

So. He didn't even say shit that they got Ghosts coming out too on Wii U. No NFS this year, I see. Nor Battlefield. My point is that its more of a conformation that there is sure no 3rd party support on Wii Party Island-Land, in sight. Let's see.

1. 3DS Zelda.
  2. Wii U Mario Kitty thing
  3. Donkey Kong again Part 3: The Freeze

I see no sarcasm. I'm just lazy. And Wonderful 101, as they said, which is technically a 3rd Party Platinum Games joint.

But seriously, next year they got 2 Super Smash, whenever another Zelda on Wii U, and Mystery Galaxy game on Wii U. ALL 1st party, with no 3rd party in sight, 12 months from now. I mean, they did just announce that 2DS thing, to coincide along with Pokeman XY.

#2 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3754 posts) -

He actually said "Meh" hahahaha what a goon

#3 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Of course he's going to say this. They're the competition, and he's a gigantic man.

#4 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

lol

#5 Posted by darklink6849 (36 posts) -

Poor, poor Nintendo. Theyre so blind.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10485 posts) -

Well, how would it look if Reggie went out there saying they felt bad and that they were doing poorly?

#7 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

Don't want to play any of those games. But I'm not their target audience since I don't care about any of their 1st party games.

#8 Posted by Morningstar (2142 posts) -

What else would he say?

#9 Edited by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -

I'm not really into Mario, Zelda or any other Nintendo characters. That console is a brick to me. Give me something new Nintendo.

#10 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3020 posts) -

I'm kinda with him on this one, unless someone else got Bayonetta 2 while I wasn't looking. They didn't? Fuck everything else then.

#11 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3754 posts) -

Well, how would it look if Reggie went out there saying they felt bad and that they were doing poorly?

He actually said "meh" though. Like as a businessman, in a quote to the media.

#12 Edited by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -
#13 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

Saying "meh" to all those EA Games. Always be a dick to Nintendo, EA. You too, Amazon. Never ever change.

#14 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

Why wouldn't he talk a little shit? It's not like Kaz Hirai and his tiny, child-sized fists can do any real damage.

#15 Edited by Joey2683 (355 posts) -

Of course he's going to say this. They're the competition, and he's a gigantic man.

Lol

#16 Edited by joshwent (2120 posts) -

To be fair, he's only talking about the launch lineups, not the consoles themselves, and our own Brad has repeatedly said, "Meh" about those games himself.

#17 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

How can they talk value proposition when the Wii U, which is even more dated than the 360 and PS3 costs $300? With a tiny library of games.

And no support from hardly anyone.

#18 Edited by CaLe (3911 posts) -

I wipe my ass with Donkey Kong's fur after shitting on Zelda's chest while Mario watches. What you got for me now, Reggie?

(I might be treading too close to an imaginary line with this one but it's my special way of saying that I don't care about these franchises)

#19 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

We've got Zelda that you already played. We've got Mario oke. We've got Donkey Kong great!

I dunno but I wouldn't dare saying 'meh' when you have little to show yourself. If he honestly thinks that and it isn't just marketing talk then Nintendo really has a problem. I mean that's 3 games. PS4 has 26 launch titles, sure part of them might also be coming to the XboxOne but they sure ain't coming to the WiiU. I would love to play Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3 but not at this price point. $199,- perhaps, before that I would sooner pick up a 3DS.

#20 Posted by bigjeffrey (4794 posts) -

#21 Edited by Jeust (10480 posts) -

"We've got Zelda. We've got Mario. We've got Donkey Kong," Fils-Aime added. "In addition to great titles like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101, I feel very good about our lineup, and I feel very good about the value proposition we're putting out there for the consumer."

Same old franchises, new iterations. Till when will it work?

#22 Posted by Nictel (2380 posts) -

@jeust: I think it already stopped working, that is I haven't seen or heard anybody saying they "must" get a WiiU for any of those three games. The only game I hear about is the new Smash.

#23 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

There's huge difference between being confident in their product and being apathetic about the their competition. They have a little more than two months to hook people before they are completely forgotten because of newer, more powerful hardware

#24 Posted by Veektarius (4601 posts) -

If I were still on the fence about buying a Nintendo system (I haven't been since I fell off the wagon with the Gamecube) I would probably want to see Reggie say something contrite about the Wii U's offerings so far so I could get my hopes up and pay more attention to Nintendo news. Ultimately though, press like this doesn't influence anyone to make or not make purchases. It doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter for a football team's success if the coach is willing to be honest about an underperforming player or not in front of the press.

#25 Edited by Jeust (10480 posts) -

@nictel: Yeah. That and Wonderful 101 look cool. Well, Nintendo will have to change their business or get off video games.

#26 Posted by ShaggE (6335 posts) -

Fils-A-Meh

#27 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

He's absolutely right.

All three of those games look really, really good. And the launch lineups for PS4 and XBONE are very "meh". In fact I would say this is probably the weakest launch lineup in recent memory.

Doesn't mean Nintendo isn't going to get creamed this holiday though.

#28 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4160 posts) -

#29 Edited by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

People doomsay Nintendo on a yearly basis but they have the best selling handheld and the best selling current gen console. So its probably pretty easy for Reggie to ignore the noise, as the past has indicated the noise rarely knows what the fuck its talking about.

And yeah launch is pretty underwhelming. Yeah Watchdogs will eventually be a thing, and Titanfall will eventually be a thing. But that's 2014 shit. Meanwhile with Rhyse and Driveclub, I'm looking at the very definition of meh. And the more I read about Killer Instinct the more I wish they'd left it alone, what a mess.

#30 Posted by guiseppe (2838 posts) -

Sure, they've got Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong. But that's all they've had, ever.

#31 Edited by shenstra (163 posts) -

Nintendo is in a tough spot, but I can't say he's wrong on this. Sure, PS4 and XB1 will be the new hotness. Much more powerful, better online capabilities, all that jazz. Wii U has games. Exclusives even. And they probably won't suck. I'm all about the new hotness, but I'm more likely to buy a Wii U this year than I am to buy a PS4, and I definitely won't be buying a XB1 (because Microsoft isn't selling it here this year and I also don't give a flying fig).

#32 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

I'm more excited for things coming out in the 3ds and wii u than everything announced for the ps4 and xbox one.

But I'm not the target audience for those consoles either.

So yeah, meh.

#33 Posted by Corvak (902 posts) -

Regardless of your opinion on Nintendo's current lineup...do you expect the spokesperson of any company to come on the record and say "oh shit we're boned" when asked about competing products?

"Meh" or "we're not worried" is about the only possible answer anyone's going to give here.

Nintendo's pretty much got the ability to support the Wii U's lagging sales with the high number of 3DS sales. And I have a feeling that even with low volume, Nintendo is making money on each Wii U at this point - I think 3DS after the initial price cut is the only Nintendo console to ever sell at a loss. They aren't going to top the charts, but I don't think we have to worry about them going bankrupt.

#34 Posted by aspaceinvader (256 posts) -

Sounds like a company that has either run out of ideas that it has to continually rely on its tired and trusted franchises without bringing out new ip's, plus why bring out a 2DS. Nintendo you have run out of ideas you will suffer, the wiiU is dying.

#35 Edited by falserelic (5333 posts) -

Reggies knows he's full of shit. Nintendo is going to get raped this fall, fucking brutally dominated.

#36 Edited by spraynardtatum (2608 posts) -
#37 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

Sounds like a company that has either run out of ideas that it has to continually rely on its tired and trusted franchises without bringing out new ip's, plus why bring out a 2DS. Nintendo you have run out of ideas you will suffer, the wiiU is dying.

Only reason Sony and MS dont continually rely on trusted first party franchises is because they don't have any. But keep acting like its a positive, something they're choosing to do. And ignore the Halo and God of War prequels and expecially that laughable Smash Bros knockoff, because that's just a peek at the shit they'd be shoveling out on a much more regular basis if they had anything else people actually wanted. While people like you are wondering why Nintendo doesn't just throw in the towel cus they failed to win over the "core" market, Reggie probably just takes a look at this list to remind himself what reality looks like.

#38 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4291 posts) -

I like Reggie and while I don't think they're in any imminent danger, they'd be crazy not to be worried about this coming holiday season. That said, what else is he really going to say? "Oh shit, we're probably going to get destroyed and sell a fraction of what our competitors will"?

#39 Posted by JasonR86 (9609 posts) -

What else would he say?

#40 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4160 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

What else would he say?

"I'm pretty confident for this fall, I dunno. That Mario looks pretty darn cool, I gotta say.. He's like a keety."

#41 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

Platinuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, port your games pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

#42 Edited by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

I know it will never happen, but sometimes I wish executives would say what they think. Maybe Reggie does believe what he's saying but he can't ignore that the company is hurting.

#43 Posted by peritus (963 posts) -

Poor, poor Nintendo. Theyre so blind.

I think they know. But i'm not counting them out just yet.

#44 Posted by peritus (963 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

Platinuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum, port your games pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

They are being published by Nintendo so i wouldn't count on it.

#45 Edited by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Launch titles are always meh. Wii U launch had way worse than PS4 and Xbone.

#46 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I know it will never happen, but sometimes I wish executives would say what they think. Maybe Reggie does believe what he's saying but he can't ignore that the company is hurting.

Nintendo? Hurting? Let me go check how many 3Ds have sold. Or how many copies of AC have sold.

I wonder if he said "Meh" Or just shrugged.

WHERE IS IWATA?!

#47 Posted by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

@peritus: No I know, that comment was equivalent to screaming into a pillow. Don't mind me.

#48 Posted by aajf (223 posts) -

But seriously, next year they got 2 Super Smash, whenever another Zelda on Wii U, and Mystery Galaxy game on Wii U.

As in Mario Galaxy? I haven't heard anything about a galaxy sequel. I thought the Galaxy team were behind Mario 3D World, somewhat disappointingly.

#49 Edited by Vinny_Says (5688 posts) -

"We have the same franchises we've always had since the 1980s"

That luck is bound to run out eventually. Yes you have an all star team of players that are batting above 500 for a very long time, but sooner or later, people are going to want something fresh, some new blood on the field to excite the fans.

#50 Posted by DrGreatJob (127 posts) -

Who cares if they have the same IPs they've always had? If they make good games out of them, cool. What I think is hilarious is how they think they can possibly compete with next-gen consoles with next-gen games that most definitely will not be on the Wii U. The only way I would buy a Wii U is if the next Zelda game is absolutely, stunningly incredible (I doubt it will be,) or if they release a proper Metroid sequel that isn't total garbage (won't happen.)