#51 Posted by GERALTITUDE (4091 posts) -

The interview in question is so incredibly generic and PR sounding it's pathetic.

Yadda yadda consumer yadda yadda price point yadda yadda proposition bull shit bull shit yawn yawn

#52 Edited by Humanity (11106 posts) -

@negativecero said:

I know it will never happen, but sometimes I wish executives would say what they think. Maybe Reggie does believe what he's saying but he can't ignore that the company is hurting.

Nintendo? Hurting? Let me go check how many 3Ds have sold. Or how many copies of AC have sold.

I wonder if he said "Meh" Or just shrugged.

WHERE IS IWATA?!

I'd agree that it's hurting creatively. Mario has been run to the ground worse than Call of Duty, yet people continue buying the New New Super Mario Brothers New Edition.

#53 Posted by Chaser324 (6948 posts) -

Don't throw rocks in glass houses, Reggie.

#54 Edited by Missacre (568 posts) -

I honestly feel like Nintendo's really gonna pick up in the next year and outsell both the PS4 and XB1 and have better quality games than either of them. Sure, they might be old IPs, but it's all good as long as they keep making fun, great games out of them, and they haven't disappointed so far. Holiday 2013 and most of 2014 is gonna be a great time for them. So YAY Nintendo!

#55 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

Well, what do you expect him to say?

#56 Edited by NMC2008 (1248 posts) -

That's exactly what I say whenever I look over at my WiiU and wonder if I should play it. I say "Meh" and play something worthy of my damn time, my Wii U is now my second Punch Out Box, I have a Wii as well, which is also a Punch Out Box.

#57 Posted by Missacre (568 posts) -

@nmc2008 said:

That's exactly what I say whenever I look over at my WiiU and wonder if I should play it. I say "Meh" and play something worthy of my damn time, my Wii U is now my second Punch Out Box, I have a Wii as well, which is also a Punch Out Box.

Nothing on those other consoles is worth playing. They have pretty terrible games.

#58 Posted by BeachThunder (12994 posts) -

I have to say that I feel the same way...

#59 Edited by NMC2008 (1248 posts) -

@missacre said:

@nmc2008 said:

Nothing on those other consoles is worth playing. They have pretty terrible games.

Every console has terrible games, it's just that Nintendo consoles have more of them in my opinion.

#60 Edited by Shaunage (788 posts) -

I love Reggie as a character, but he is out of his fucking mind.

#61 Posted by Quantris (418 posts) -
@nmc2008 said:

@missacre said:

@nmc2008 said:

Every console has terrible games, it's just that Nintendo consoles have more of them in my opinion.

Which would only matter if the console randomly chose which game you were going to play...
Can agree that for many gamers, there may not be many games on Wii U that are appealing. I'm lucky enough to still enjoy most of what they've got.

#62 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6863 posts) -

That kind of an attitude really puts me off. I get wanting to be competitive, sure. But don't be a douchebag, Big N (and Fils-Aimes in particular). Those lineups for the Xbox One and the PS4 look amazing and Nintendo should acknowledge their competitors' work rather than shrugging it off as unimpressive.

#63 Posted by geirr (2834 posts) -

OMG I WAS SITTING SO CLOSE TO MY 40" MONITOR, AAAAAAHHHH!!!

#64 Posted by DarthOrange (4089 posts) -
#65 Posted by crusader8463 (14744 posts) -

It's funny because "Meh" is what everyone says after looking at what the Wii U has to offer.

#66 Posted by Missacre (568 posts) -

It's funny because "Meh" is what everyone says after looking at what the Wii U has to offer.

That's exactly what I say when I look at the new media-center-first-gaming-second consoles coming out.

#67 Posted by wallee321 (126 posts) -

Honestly, I think the PlayStation home console brand has the strongest line-up the rest of the year: The Puppeteer, Rain, Beyond, and GTA V (at least against the Wii U). Shadow Fall and Knack both look line competent and possibly good games, that are un-spectacular.

The 360 doesn't have anything left, besides third party games. Last I heard, Dead Rising 3's frame rate was all over the place, Killer Instinct and Forza are incomplete, and Ryse looked quite forgettable.

I wish the Wii U's line up was better, but really I'm only looking forward to Donkey Kong; never liked Pikmin, TW101 doesn't interest me, I already played Wind Waker on NGC (although I will probably buy the remake when it gets marked down in a couple years), and I don't care for the Mario Land games ( honestly, I'm Mario'd out from all these 'New' games).

#68 Posted by awesomeusername (4481 posts) -

FANBOI!!!

@ryanwhom said:

Only reason Sony and MS dont continually rely on trusted first party franchises is because they don't have any. But keep acting like its a positive, something they're choosing to do. And ignore the Halo and God of War prequels and expecially that laughable Smash Bros knockoff, because that's just a peek at the shit they'd be shoveling out on a much more regular basis if they had anything else people actually wanted. While people like you are wondering why Nintendo doesn't just throw in the towel cus they failed to win over the "core" market, Reggie probably just takes a look at this list to remind himself what reality looks like.

Saying Sony has no first parties franchises is the dumbest thing I ever heard. You're either a troll or an idiot. Or both. I choose the latter.

#69 Posted by Missacre (568 posts) -

YES, I totally agree with you on that, which is why I'm sticking to PC+Wii U this coming gen. Neither of the newer consoles interest me at all, their exclusives looked pretty terrible, and their third party games are all coming to PC so I don't see a reason to drop $400 on a console I'll never use. Besides, I already have plenty of Bluray players in my house.

#70 Edited by AngelN7 (2997 posts) -

Why do they keep bringing Pikmin 3? that game already came out if it isn't selling systems now it won't be selling systems later in the year, also I don't know that Donkey Kon and Mario 3D land for the Wii U look... just okay and I'm really curious to see how Watch_Dogs is gonna look on 360/PS3/WiiU.

#71 Edited by BigJeffrey (4897 posts) -

@geirr said:

OMG I WAS SITTING SO CLOSE TO MY 40" MONITOR, AAAAAAHHHH!!!

PLAY THE FUCKING GAME

#72 Posted by GreggD (4581 posts) -

@missacre said:

@nmc2008 said:

Nothing at all?

#73 Posted by Missacre (568 posts) -

@greggd said:

@missacre said:

@nmc2008 said:

Nothing at all?

Nothing at all.

#74 Edited by ArtisanBreads (4382 posts) -

@drgreatjob said:

Who cares if they have the same IPs they've always had? If they make good games out of them, cool. What I think is hilarious is how they think they can possibly compete with next-gen consoles with next-gen games that most definitely will not be on the Wii U. The only way I would buy a Wii U is if the next Zelda game is absolutely, stunningly incredible (I doubt it will be,) or if they release a proper Metroid sequel that isn't total garbage (won't happen.)

It's funny you said the bold and the rest in the same comment.

You about summed it up. And beyond that, people like new ideas and IP too.

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@negativecero said:

I know it will never happen, but sometimes I wish executives would say what they think. Maybe Reggie does believe what he's saying but he can't ignore that the company is hurting.

Nintendo? Hurting? Let me go check how many 3Ds have sold. Or how many copies of AC have sold.

I wonder if he said "Meh" Or just shrugged.

WHERE IS IWATA?!

I'd agree that it's hurting creatively. Mario has been run to the ground worse than Call of Duty, yet people continue buying the New New Super Mario Brothers New Edition.

Do some of you guys really not think that a disastrous home console wouldn't hurt Nintendo? That's what they have so far with no change in sight.

I continue to scratch my head at big Nintendo fans continuing to defend this company and their attitude vs taking them to task over how lazy they are. I guess these comments must represent actually a decent slice of those small Wii U sales.

#75 Posted by Hunter5024 (6246 posts) -

To be fair if you already own a 360, PC, or PS3, you have access to most of the games coming out this holiday. The Wii U has a couple games that seem pretty cool, and they're actually exclusive to the system. So in that sense, the Wii U basically does have the best lineup this holiday.

#76 Edited by GreggD (4581 posts) -

@missacre said:

@greggd said:

@missacre said:

@nmc2008 said:

Nothing at all?

Nothing at all.

Alright, I'm out.

#77 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4382 posts) -

To be fair if you already own a 360, PC, or PS3, you have access to most of the games coming out this holiday. The Wii U has a couple games that seem pretty cool, and they're actually exclusive to the system. So in that sense, the Wii U basically does have the best lineup this holiday.

Or you could just say the 360 and PS3 have the best lineup right? And if you'd like some better versions of those games, PS4 and Xbox One, your choice.

#78 Edited by Castiel (2891 posts) -

#79 Edited by Seppli (11233 posts) -

To that I say 'Wha?'. No seriously, I haven't been excited for a Nintendo platform game since the days of the GameCube (outside maybe of a couple of handheld releases, that are my kind of jam, like the recent Fire Emblem).

I know that by some Nintendo fans standards Nintendo can do no wrong, and all the 3rd party games are boring crap. Personally, I think those people are deluding themselves. And if there ever was a time for Nintendo to bow deeply, apologize, and humbly go back to the drawing board - it is now.

You're getting your ass handed to you - Nintendo! Wake up. Wake up!

#80 Posted by Capum15 (5082 posts) -

I just want to say, I love that flower picture/drawing. Burn with me.

#81 Posted by isomeri (1674 posts) -

It's borderline disturbing seeing the hubris of Nintendo in their current situation. Sony really showed how to take a new approach for the next gen and admit past mistakes. I really hope that we will see some serious management changes at Nintendo by this time next year.

#82 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6236 posts) -

There you go then. Reggie's convinced me. Forget the new consoles, I'm buying a Wii U.

#83 Posted by Humanity (11106 posts) -

It's actually pretty funny that Reggie would bemoan the upcoming consoles launch line-up when after a pretty lengthy amount of time after launch their own console still doesn't have a launch line-up.

#84 Posted by outerabiz (672 posts) -

I want to invest some money in a battleship, i have two options.

The first one has stumbled into poor weather and is fighting it's way out, all hands on deck.

The other one, captained by a giant, is going ramming speed towards a lighthouse. Unflinching, apparently at peace with it's impending doom,

nay craving it, the giant is laughing maniacally as it encroaches.

As an advisor i would say everyone should invest in the second one... he seems confident.

#85 Edited by HypnoToadBrwowrowrow (1248 posts) -

PLAY. THE GAME.

#86 Posted by Lazlow (131 posts) -

@isomeri said:

It's borderline disturbing seeing the hubris of Nintendo in their current situation. Sony really showed how to take a new approach for the next gen and admit past mistakes. I really hope that we will see some serious management changes at Nintendo by this time next year.

Agreed. I don't want to see Nintendo fail and end up no longer making consoles.. but bloody hell do I want to see them get a good kick up the ass for some of the crap they seem to just dismiss specifically their online functionality and what I believe are becoming (for me personally) some rather stale franchises.

I used to get really excited for each new Zelda game but if the next one is like Skyward Sword I'm done. Theres only so far you can push that same dungeon-item-puzzle formula. I'm still on board with what you might call the 'non-major' Zelda releases (handheld games) but when you announce a new Zelda for your home console I expect something that is going to push the boundaries like they used to - particularly for me in regards to story and characterisation. The 'chronology' for that universe is an absolute mess and Link has about as much personality as a doorstop.

#87 Posted by TMBaker (252 posts) -

#88 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4183 posts) -

This time next year? Nintendo can do no wrong. Stay classy, Big N.

#89 Posted by Aviar (488 posts) -

FACEPALM

Nintendo is more clueless than I could have ever thought.

#90 Edited by ProfessorEss (7648 posts) -

I just can't believe he actually opened with "It's all about the games". I mean he's totally right, but that's the #1 reason why I don't have and currently have no plans on buying a Wii U. I'm also super curious to see how many more years Nintendo can get by with the old "Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong" one-liner, because it doesn't resonate at all with me, my friends, or our kids.

I can forgive his use of "M'eh" considering he's probably been hearing that exact same response from so many third-party devs that it just slipped out.

#91 Posted by Hunter5024 (6246 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@hunter5024 said:

Or you could just say the 360 and PS3 have the best lineup right? And if you'd like some better versions of those games, PS4 and Xbox One, your choice.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone buying a new console. PS3 and 360 may have a better lineup than other systems, but we all have one of those already. If someone is looking to have access to games they can't already play, the Wii U has both of the other consoles beat this year. Which is not to say that the others aren't worth getting, just as long as everyone knows they're paying $400-500 to play a shinier version of a game they could play on their last system.

#92 Posted by MormonWarrior (2788 posts) -

...not that he has any stake in it or anything.

#93 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4382 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@hunter5024 said:

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone buying a new console. PS3 and 360 may have a better lineup than other systems, but we all have one of those already. If someone is looking to have access to games they can't already play, the Wii U has both of the other consoles beat this year. Which is not to say that the others aren't worth getting, just as long as everyone knows they're paying $400-500 to play a shinier version of a game they could play on their last system.

Fair enough, but I think the sales of the Wii U say it all. I'd rather just buy the better third party offerings on current gen or get better versions.

And past that, both systems have better looking exclusives than Wii U have past the holiday. People don't buy a console to play it for the holiday months, they buy it to play it for years.

#94 Edited by ArtisanBreads (4382 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

@artisanbreads said:

@hunter5024 said:

Fair enough, but I think the sales of the Wii U say it all. I'd rather just buy the better third party offerings on current gen or get better versions with the new consoles. Wii U's games aren't compelling, they don't have much to stand on.

And past that, both systems have better looking exclusives than Wii U have past the holiday. People don't buy a console to play it for the holiday months, they buy it to play it for years. And they don't buy it just to play exclusives or first party games.

#95 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7595 posts) -

The 3DS and Wii U easily have the best lineup this year, especially if you're not counting multiplatform games.
I seriously have to question why anybody would be splashing out the money for next-gen systems just to play slightly supped up versions* of games available on every other current platform.

*not even supped up, if you have a decently powerful PC.

#96 Posted by ProfessorEss (7648 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

I see where you're coming from and I would love to agree with you but I don't feel like the Wii U is currently offering anything more than a few gimmick experiences and shiny retreads.

#97 Edited by ArtisanBreads (4382 posts) -

@wintersnowblind said:

The 3DS and Wii U easily have the best lineup this year, especially if you're not counting multiplatform games.

You aren't allowed to say the bold. Why would you be allowed to ignore multiplatform games? Especially when many aren't coming to Wii U or if they are may be inferior experiences.

No consumer would possibly be thinking that way.

#98 Posted by Hunter5024 (6246 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

I see where you're coming from and I would love to agree with you but I don't feel like the Wii U is currently offering anything more than a few gimmick experiences and shiny retreads.

I feel like that's modern gaming in a nutshell.

#99 Posted by Huey2k2 (514 posts) -

Well obviously he would say that.

What else is he going to do? Wholeheartedly endorse the competition?

You have to imagine that by now Nintendo has realized how big of a hole they are in... right?

#100 Posted by Huey2k2 (514 posts) -

I seriously have to question why anybody would be splashing out the money for next-gen systems just to play slightly supped up versions* of games available on every other current platform.

*not even supped up, if you have a decently powerful PC.

Maybe you don't care about multiplatform games, but most consumers do.

Most consumers buy one console and stick with it, people on websites like this are not most consumers. If I didn't already have a powerful gaming PC, and was going to buy one console to play all my games on, the WiiU would lose out by default for having no third party support from anything.

That said I am probably not going to buy any consoles this generation at this rate.