#1 Edited by Agentfred (58 posts) -
Edit: Big misunderstanding here, it's being developed on the PC, but not being released on the PC.  I thought this thread was dead, but you all had to go and resurrect it, and make me look bad didn't you?
#2 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

good news for pc gamers

#3 Posted by Ehden (214 posts) -

That's going to take up a massive chunk of any harddrive...

#4 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

lol mircosoft got it for the 360 insta Pc port wow.

#5 Posted by MrVegeta (106 posts) -

I can't imagine it being hard to get working on the 360 since its built and functional on PC.

#6 Posted by Colonel_Cool (808 posts) -

It seems like a lot of Japanese developers are turning to the PC now to release games. Being primarily a PC gamer, I haven't played very many JRPG's at all. If this turns out to be a good port then I will definitely check it out.

#7 Posted by spragels (97 posts) -

Good for everyone.

#8 Posted by Shade (120 posts) -

Now I don't know what to get it for...360 or pc. Probably 360 because there would be less messing around involved.

#9 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

YES!
Awesomeness, now I can play it

#10 Posted by RabbitKarrot (362 posts) -

This makes the audience much much larger, hoorah!

#11 Posted by 1oneWON (87 posts) -

I may have interpreted this wrong but does that quote prove that it's being released for the PC or just coded and designed on PC's which will then be optimized for the 360 and PS3. I'm a little naive to the process of developing games but since the PS3 and 360 are essentially computers I thought all games were technically coded on PCs and then transferred, tested, and such on the console hardware.

#12 Posted by Jandurin (186 posts) -

I approve of this announcement.

#13 Posted by Hungry_bunny (421 posts) -

GREAT news. That's probably the format I'm going to use to play it.

#14 Posted by Errorsol (7 posts) -
1oneWON said:
"I may have interpreted this wrong but does that quote prove that it's being released for the PC or just coded and designed on PC's which will then be optimized for the 360 and PS3. I'm a little naive to the process of developing games but since the PS3 and 360 are essentially computers I thought all games were technically coded on PCs and then transferred, tested, and such on the console hardware.
"
Capcom's Framework engine works in the same way, and they still release their games on PC. So yeah, it could be a sign that FFXIII will come out on PC a few months after the xbox 360/PS3 versions are relased.

#15 Edited by sohail12345 (46 posts) -

Another Big Game Coming To The Pc

caption
#16 Posted by MattyFTM (14367 posts) -

Doesn't surprise me at all. Some (if not all, I can't remember) of the PS1 FF games were ported to PC, it doesn't surprise me that they are going down that route again.

Moderator Online
#17 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -
Txheat said:
"lol mircosoft got it for the 360 insta Pc port wow.
"
Did you even read it? PC is the original version. 360 and PS3 are the ports.
#18 Posted by duxup (354 posts) -
their in-house technology makes multiplatform development a lot easier than before

Clearly they were thinking of going PS3 exclusive with this from the start ;)
#19 Posted by Axersia (1615 posts) -
Demilich said:
"Txheat said:
"lol mircosoft got it for the 360 insta Pc port wow.
"
Did you even read it? PC is the original version. 360 and PS3 are the ports."
Yes, Crystal Tools is a PC based engine. Meaning the game is developed on the PC, and then ported to the PS3 and 360.

And I don't feel like reading the OP post, but FFXIII has not been confirmed for PC. The OP probably just misunderstood.
#20 Posted by cspiffo (868 posts) -

Hopefully It works better than the crappy FF VIII port or the even crappier FF VII PC version.

#21 Posted by Demilich (2599 posts) -

Also news flash: This article is old and FFXII is not going to the PC. At least not yet.

#22 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

it's not going to pc, that was a mistake
http://kotaku.com/5028961/of-course-final-fantasy-xiii-is-pc-bound
the whole rumor started on nzone, blame them.  And worse is that they just deleted the article.  At least update it and let it hang out for a bit.

read the update

on the upside the pc (as well as 360 and ps3) is getting the Last Remnant as well as Rapture  (mmorpg)

maybe it'll evbentually come, but we already know the roots of this rumor and its debunked

#23 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -
cspiffo said:
"Hopefully It works better than the crappy FF VIII port or the even crappier FF VII PC version."
Yea that's exactly what I was thinking.
#24 Posted by Gunraidan (216 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"it's not going to pc, that was a mistake
http://kotaku.com/5028961/of-course-final-fantasy-xiii-is-pc-bound
the whole rumor started on nzone, blame them.  And worse is that they just deleted the article.  At least update it and let it hang out for a bit.

read the update

on the upside the pc (as well as 360 and ps3) is getting the Last Remnant as well as Rapture  (mmorpg)

maybe it'll evbentually come, but we already know the roots of this rumor and its debunked"
Oh Boo!
#25 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

Yeah, basically the tools are PC based, but the game is still being built for the Playstation 3. This should make porting to the 360 easier, though, since the engine is running on both consoles.

#26 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
"Yeah, basically the tools are PC based, but the game is still being built for the Playstation 3. This should make porting to the 360 easier, though, since the engine is running on both consoles."
it's actually just as much as a ps3 port as a x360 port since it's an open multiplat development.   If anything it'll just be easier for them for the 360 version because they're using open platform pc tools.  
shouldn't matter to us though.
#27 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
SmugDarkLoser said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"Yeah, basically the tools are PC based, but the game is still being built for the Playstation 3. This should make porting to the 360 easier, though, since the engine is running on both consoles."
it's actually just as much as a ps3 port as a x360 port.  If anything it'll just be easier for them for the 360 version.
shouldn't matter to us though."
They're basically building the game using tools on the PC, but building it for the PS3 architecture using their Dev kits.
#28 Edited by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
AndrewGaspar said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"Yeah, basically the tools are PC based, but the game is still being built for the Playstation 3. This should make porting to the 360 easier, though, since the engine is running on both consoles."
it's actually just as much as a ps3 port as a x360 port.  If anything it'll just be easier for them for the 360 version.
shouldn't matter to us though."
They're basically building the game using tools on the PC, but building it for the PS3 architecture using their Dev kits."
and they're doing the same for the 360.

i dont know what you're getting at though.  The crystal toolset apparently works with the 360, pc, and 360.  Therefore it'd work with all the dev kits.
#29 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

They are working on the game ground up for the 360 too? Sorry bro, but thats not what they are doing. It is a 360 port, they haven't even begun working on it yet, obviously it is not being built around the 360 architecture, its just being ported.

#30 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
Sentry said:
"They are working on the game ground up for the 360 too? Sorry bro, but thats not what they are doing. It is a 360 port, they haven't even begun working on it yet, obviously it is not being built around the 360 architecture, its just being ported."

but they're not doing it like that for either.
It's not a matter of building a game for both consoles or building it for only one, it's the fact that, just like a bazillion other games (bf, dmc, gta, etc.) the game is being built for an open platform and then to the consoles.

Both consoles are getting a port, if you want to call it that, due to the fact that it's being developed on an open platform.

You know those videos we're seeing?  Those aren't on the ps3.  There running on a pc right now.  The only thing that they'd have to change between the two versions is the actual coding, not the textures, models, etc.

Port is moreso saying you're shipping it from one console to another, changing the code so it'll run on the other console, essentilly an effiecient emulator.  It's being built on a general platform so they just do platform specific things (what a port would do) on BOTH. 
Not that hard to understand.
#31 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Actually they are, all games are made on PC, obviously, this is not a PS3 port just because its being developed using a PC. Obviously you don't exactly know how development works lol. Just because a 360 exclusive is being made on PC, does that mean its not utilizing the 360? Or the videos are not running on 360? No, they are. This is the same case.

#32 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Actually they are, all games are made on PC, obviously, this is not a PS3 port just because its being developed using a PC. Obviously you don't exactly know how development works lol. Just because a 360 exclusive is being made on PC, does that mean its not utilizing the 360? Or the videos are not running on 360? No, they are. This is the same case."


You really should learn what a port is:  Dictionary.com: "Computers. to create a new version of (an application program) to run on a different hardware platform (sometimes fol. by over). "
so in reality they're both ports since they both have to use specific factors for both versions off of a main base (crystal tools).  They're not developing it for the ps3 intitially, it's just an open thing.

so there will be 3 versions- the pc source, the ps3 version, and the 360 version


Doesn't matter though

#33 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

*sigh* Ignore my points, very nice. So in reality no PS3, 360, or Wii game is built around their unique architecture at all, according to you. Lol...

#34 Posted by ColumnBreaker (1162 posts) -

They're compiled to run on the given hardware, yes. However the fact remains in that it all has to run on a pc in the debugging phase, so SDL does have a valid point.

#35 Posted by pause422 (6179 posts) -

So basically your response was looking up the definition yourself to reply as if you knew exactly what a port is.... right.

Anyway, this is quoted from Square- Motomu Toriyama didn't beat around the bush when Nomura asked him questions about the 360 FFXIII. Starting off, he reconfirmed that, "We haven't changed the direction of the development. We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later."

What they have been saying is, for years, or almost all of their FF titles ever released have been made on PC, then made to use the PS2's architecture from that, this one is going to be the same and made to use the PS3's specifically since that is still their focus, then will be ported to the 360 later on, but the 360 version isn't even close to getting started until the full PS3 game is done...and in North America since they are releasing simultanesouly, everyone has to wait until both versions are done.

Online
#36 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
CynageN said:
"They're compiled to run on the given hardware, yes. However the fact remains in that it all has to run on a pc in the debugging phase, so SDL does have a valid point."

thank you, jees