#1 Posted by wemibelec90 (1495 posts) -

Square-Enix is currently having a sale on their PSN games. Included in this sale are:

• DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY (PSP)
  • DISSIDIA DUODECIM PROLOGUS FINAL FANTASY (PSP)
  • DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY (PSP)
  • FINAL FANTASY Tactics: War of Lions (PSP)
  • Final Fantasy (PSOne Classics)
  • Final Fantasy II (PSOne Classics)
  • FINAL FANTASY IV: Complete Collection (PSP)
  • Final Fantasy V (PSOne Classics)
  • Final Fantasy VI (PSOne Classics)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PSOne Classics)
  • Final Fantasy VIII (PSOne Classics)
  • Final Fantasy IX (PSOne Classics)

All of these are half off (meaning most are only $4.99). Great time to pick up a bunch FF games on the cheap!

My one complaint about this is that I can't buy FF Tactics because I'm currently a Plus member. Really annoying system keeping me from picking up a game I really want to play but won't get around to before my subscription runs out.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35826 posts) -

What about on the Squeenix Store? Will there be anything on that front?

#3 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

PSOne Tactics is part of it. 

I picked up VII, IX, Tactics.  

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

Alright. I've always wanted to try Final Fantasy Tactics and now is a perfect time to do so.

Do i pick the original or the PSP one?

#5 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Nope only PSN.

#6 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

FINAL FANTASY IV: Complete Collection (PSP)

This is such a good version of IV. The best in fact. After years is fucking awesome.

#7 Posted by gla55jAw (2685 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

Alright. I've always wanted to try Final Fantasy Tactics and now is a perfect time to do so.

Do i pick the original or the PSP one?

PSP one. Has a better translation and some more content I believe.

#8 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

@Pr1mus:

the translation in the original is kind of notoriously fucked. the psp translation is pretty good though. also some new presentational things if i remember correctly.

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

It's cool that they are doing this but, honestly, that's what these games should be priced anyway.

#10 Posted by BoringK (257 posts) -

Just going to point out that FFI & II are sold together as FF Origins. The post on Playstation Blog has them listed separately, too, so that's weird. But it's a single release, on sale for $4.99.

Even though I still have my disc copies of all of the PSOne classics on sale, I'm really tempted to buy them all again so I can have them on my Vita. Although I'm fully aware FFVI was a lousy port.

#11 Posted by marchismo (70 posts) -

@Pr1mus: War of the Lions has some pretty bad slowdown and noticeably worse audio quality. But the translation is actually good, animated cutscenes, and some scenes that were cut from the Playstation version were added in. So it's tough to say which version is truly better, but it's a great game either way.

#12 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

Hmmm...decisions decisions. I'm thinking VI (my favorite game of all time possibly, though I haven't played it since my SNES days), IX (which I never played but heard was really good) and one other one maybe, though not VII. IV? I don't think I've ever played that one either.

#13 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Will probably purchase IX and maybe VII.

#14 Posted by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

Any idea on how long this sale lasts? I really want to buy VII, VIII, and IX but I won't be able to until next week.

#15 Edited by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

@Irishdoom said:

Hmmm...decisions decisions. I'm thinking VI (my favorite game of all time possibly, though I haven't played it since my SNES days), IX (which I never played but heard was really good) and one other one maybe, though not VII. IV? I don't think I've ever played that one either.

Go with the ones you haven't played. I you liked VI this much i'm sure you'll love IX. This version of IV is also excellent.

The PSOne version of VI is not worth it. You don't want to play an SNES game plagued by loadings. Unless that's not an issue with the game running from the hard drive? I'm not sure. But in any case IV and IX are absolutely worth it. Just know that IV is an old game an it shows in its mechanics. You get significantly less control over who's in your party and how the characters develop.

#16 Posted by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44 said:

Any idea on how long this sale lasts? I really want to buy VII, VIII, and IX but I won't be able to until next week.

Until next Tuesday i believe. It shows under the "weekly deals" section on the store.

#17 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Nope only PSN.

Yeah, I can also confirm the iOS games have not received a discount.

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (35826 posts) -

@GreggD said:

@Guided_By_Tigers said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Nope only PSN.

Yeah, I can also confirm the iOS games have not received a discount.

Kinda sucks for those of us without a PS3.

#19 Posted by Sterling (2052 posts) -

You mean there are people who don't own them already?

#20 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

If I only buy one, which one should it be?

Never owned or played through a Final Fantasy game before.

#21 Edited by envane (1159 posts) -

i had a prologus in my duodecim once , docs gave me some meds for the dissidia .. all was well ... just saying .. have regular health checkups

also all snarkism aside , i cant stand the ps1 classics on ps3 , portable might work better , but emulators and upscaling have spoiled me that i cant handle the shitty resolution anymore ..

plus if your serious about fft you would be playing the fft 1.3 fan balancing/difficulty patch ...

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (7918 posts) -

Maybe I'll get Dissidia on my Vita because, I dunno, stuff?

#23 Posted by Slag (3913 posts) -

Oh sweet, thanks for the heads up!

#24 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

@Snail said:

Id say VI, but I think the PS1 version had some nasty load times. After that, I would go with IX.

#25 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

@Snail said:

Final Fantasy V, because I will endorse that it is a JRPG with a story flimsy and rote enough that you don't need to care that it's flimsy and rote. Also it has that totally bitchin class system, and as we all know, all of the best Final Fantasy games have bitchin class systems. (Probably VI, if I had to be honest with a representation of a true high point instead of my weird tastes)

#26 Posted by Pr1mus (3778 posts) -

@Snail said:

I would say IX. It's the perfect mix of classic FF in it's story, characters and world and modern enough in gameplay as to not feel archaic like IV would today to someone who never played it when it was new.

#27 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

are the Dissidia games any good?

#28 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

I already own hard copies of VII and IX so I went with Origins (with I and II in it) and Tactics. I decided against V and/or VI mainly because of the load times. Had that problem with Chrono Trigger and just stopped playing the PS1 version altogether.

#29 Edited by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

Does 8 still hold up? Does 9 for that matter?

#30 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1663 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

@Irishdoom said:

Go with the ones you haven't played. I you liked VI this much i'm sure you'll love IX. This version of IV is also excellent.

The PSOne version of VI is not worth it. You don't want to play an SNES game plagued by loadings. Unless that's not an issue with the game running from the hard drive? I'm not sure. But in any case IV and IX are absolutely worth it. Just know that IV is an old game an it shows in its mechanics. You get significantly less control over who's in your party and how the characters develop.

I still haven't played VI for all the praise it gets, but I keep reading about the crappy load times on this PS1 port and have never pulled the trigger on buying it. I hear good things about the GBA version, but looking on eBay, that's running at about $60 or so at the moment. I know the SNES version (FF3) is on the Wii's Virtual Console, maybe I'll buy it there.

I did play the PSP version of IV for the first time a few months ago and will vouch for it. I think the story does a pretty good job with its overarching theme of guilt, and Cecil is an interesting character. You are definitely right about the story dictating who is in your party at any given time, which can be jarring occasionally.

I think I'll pick up IX though, never played that one either, and that's the other FF game besides VI that I still haven't played but want to - IV was the other one on that bucket list, but took care of it =)

#31 Posted by NegativeCero (2973 posts) -

I would also like to know if PS+ subscribers can buy games that they technically have with their description. I'd like to just own Final Fantasy Tactics.

#32 Posted by NegativeCero (2973 posts) -
@NegativeCero
I would also like to know if PS+ subscribers can buy games that they technically have with their description. I'd like to just own Final Fantasy Tactics.
Subscription* mobile edit.
#33 Edited by sixpin (1286 posts) -

Final Fantasy I-V are good games. I mostly love them for nostalgia and seeing how the genre grew over the early years. However, Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, and IX are probably the best of the series. Personally I adore IX for being such a modernized tribute to the older era of Final Fantasy. Even though I already own all of these games across different platforms, I kind of want to have them all loaded onto my Vita. Maybe I'm a sucker, but $5 a title seems alright.

For those that haven't played FF Tactics, I urge you to do so.

Those Dissidia games though... I don't know about those.

#34 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

I got FF9 for some reason! Yay.

#35 Posted by Kreindis (8 posts) -

I made the right decision to get Tactics Ogre over FFT then, I'm going to pick up FFT today.

#36 Posted by rachelepithet (1329 posts) -

Fucked up way to "collect"/experience the series. No final fantasy 3, and number four is only on PSP while the rest are PS1. And why can't they distribute/ discount the PS2 era games? Would the PS versions of the nes-SNES era games still have the fucked up loading times even though they run off a Vita's solid state memory card rather than CDs?

#37 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

To bad there all garbage huh.

#38 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

Fucked up way to "collect"/experience the series. No final fantasy 3, and number four is only on PSP while the rest are PS1. And why can't they distribute/ discount the PS2 era games? Would the PS versions of the nes-SNES era games still have the fucked up loading times even though they run off a Vita's solid state memory card rather than CDs?

What solid state memory? Do you mean flash memory?

#39 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

@believer258: I'm considering how hilarious it would be if they made a vita version using an SSD now. Just add another $150 onto the price.

#40 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

Pretty awesome! Too bad I already bought 7-9, and this is hardly the ideal platform for the snes games. I guess I'll get Final Fantasy 4 Complete Collection. Now to see if Square's long standing tradition of messing up FF4 releases continues! I like when they fix what's wrong with the last version, and then screw up a bunch of new stuff.

#41 Posted by Svenzon (711 posts) -

I've been indulging in turnbased strategy/SRPGs lately, so this sale couldn't come at a better opportunity. Picked up War of the Lions right away. I really liked that game on PSX, so I'm really curious to play it again, only this time with actual English!

#42 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

That's a really great deal. The old Final Fantasy games were awesome, but it sucks they don't have Chrono Trigger/Cross as part of this deal. I know they are not Final Fantasy games but they were still amazing RPG's.

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

So when will they be available on Steam?