#1 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

Im finally starting my first run through of Final Fantasy 7 and I wanted to know what extra things i should try to do and find so that i will be further prepared for later discs. What i mean by this is that im looking for, if any, secret things to find or things i should try to do before i finish disc 1. If you anybody can also link guides to what your talking about that would be awesome. But to be clear im not looking for story walkthroughs, just guides for extras. Im at the part we i just left aeris's house with tifa and barret and we're heading to wall market if that helps.

#2 Posted by Jimbo (9712 posts) -

Look for a nice place to settle down with Aeris when the game is over.

#3 Posted by Galiant (2164 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Look for a nice place to settle down with Aeris when the game is over.

This is a good post.

#4 Posted by CaptainCharisma (338 posts) -

The one thing I really remember is that you can get Aeris' final limit break in disc 1. Not sure how much that's worth to you.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (34674 posts) -

@CaptainCharisma said:

The one thing I really remember is that you can get Aeris' final limit break in disc 1. Not sure how much that's worth to you.

Can't you also get Vincent in Disc 1 or something? You have to go to a cave you can access with the submarine? Or was that his limit break?

#6 Posted by SockemJetpack (405 posts) -

Just be thorough. Look everywhere and always make sure to read posters. There are posters for a pub called Turtle's Paradise everywhere. 6 in all. Make sure you read them and you get some nice prizes later. Google it.

Oh! Also if you go to the Honeybee Inn ask for Mukki.

#7 Posted by Brysonic (12 posts) -

@SockemJetpack said:

Oh! Also if you go to the Honeybee Inn ask for Mukki.

Poik, poik, squish!

#8 Posted by Excast (695 posts) -

You're in for a hell of a good time.

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4487 posts) -

Level Aeris loads, she's great in the endgame.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (13927 posts) -

There are about a hundred bazillion FAQ's written about this game now. Just saying. You are already on the interwebs and those FAQs will lay out and detail things way more accurately than people here just trying to remember shit off the top of our heads.

#11 Edited by CaptainCharisma (338 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CaptainCharisma said:

Can't you also get Vincent in Disc 1 or something? You have to go to a cave you can access with the submarine? Or was that his limit break?

I don't believe you can get Vincent in disc 1. And you need the submarine to get his limit break.

@bobcat1794: You should also look up how to get Yuffie. She's a random encounter in a forest after the cave with the snake guarding it. You have to answer some questions in the correct order to get her. I can't explain it so well since it's been a while but I'm sure a google search can supply a better answer.

Edit: You can in fact get Vincent in disc 1 once you get to Nibelheim.

#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Just know that when looking at equipment that Magic Defence is bugged. 
As in: It may give you a number, but it's really just 0 all the time

#13 Edited by RecSpec (3685 posts) -

You can get Vincent and Yuffie by the end of disc one. Vincent can be pretty tricky because of the optional boss. If you don't have a faq get ready to do the Yuffie scene about 10 times.  

Edit: I also remember that you can learn Beta from the giant snake after you leave the city. I forget what you needed to do to survive it, but it's possible.

#14 Posted by monstersnsoup (80 posts) -

Man really specific flashback. When you're going through Shinra Tower you can steal a really good sword for Cloud off of Soldier:3rd. It's the best weapon you can get for him for a while.

#15 Posted by sub_o (654 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

Level Aeris loads, she's great in the endgame.

Aeris is really really useful for the endgame. Try to keep her alive, since she's really good in healing party members.

#16 Posted by StarvingGamer (7586 posts) -

Look for a better RPG

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

#17 Posted by FunkyFox (62 posts) -

Don't bother stealing from bosses, steal from random encounters. It will pretty consistently give you better upgrades as you go through the early part of the game, maybe even further. And yeah, get Aeris' final limit break, it's amazingly powerful. Also, Yuffie is encountered in any forest in the world, just very easily encountered in the one immediately after you leave the Mithril Cave/Mine.

#18 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

to every one saying save aeris for the endgame and marry her, i already know what happens.

#19 Edited by Wallzii (173 posts) -

When you are in Shinra Tower, you can steal the Hardedge (a sword for Cloud) from a Soldier 3rd Class. Keep an eye out for that enemy type when you eventually get to Shinra Tower, and make sure you have the Mug materia so you can steal from them. Takes a few tries, but it is worth it. Hardedge is a better weapon than anything you'll get for a little bit.

#20 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

Just make sure you get all optional party members (Vincent, Yuffie).

Man, I should really finish FF7.

Or maybe I shouldn't.

#21 Posted by Neferon (262 posts) -

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197341-final-fantasy-vii/faqs has all your answers. If you're a completionist, there's probably a missables list in there.

@Video_Game_King said:

You have to go to a cave you can access with the submarine? Or was that his limit break?

I think it's his limit break and final weapon.

#22 Posted by Sincillian (530 posts) -

I think you can get an enemy materia in disc 1 if I remember correctly. It's extremely useful and allows you to use certain enemies' attacks against them. Look out for the matra magic and beta skills from enemies. That's all I can remember hope it helps.

#23 Posted by NegativeCero (2928 posts) -

Do the chocobo races to get Knights of the Round for Cloud? I literally don't remember anything else useful

#24 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

i seem to have missed picking up the steal materia and im right outside of shinra towers. is it too late to somehow go back and get it before going in?

#25 Posted by Benny (1939 posts) -

@NegativeCero: I believe you need to be later on in disc 2 to go through all the chocobo stuff.

#26 Posted by brookfrenzy (82 posts) -

When you get out onto the world map and have the option of avoiding the Giant Snake Thing, fight it anyway. I don't remember what you get for it or if it's anything useful, but you definitely get SOMETHING for doing it. I think.

#27 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

Do the chocobo races to get Knights of the Round for Cloud? I literally don't remember anything else useful

you can also beat on of the weapons to get a gold chocobo .. forget if its ruby or emerald. two birds one stone, much less tedium!

#28 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Just know that when looking at equipment that Magic Defence is bugged. As in: It may give you a number, but it's really just 0 all the time

Wasn't that a Skyrim bug as well?

#29 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

There's not a whole lot extra to do in disc 1.

#30 Posted by thatpinguino (565 posts) -

Steal from all random encounters, almost every random enemy early in the game has a useful weapon for someone in the party.

#31 Edited by mandude (2667 posts) -

@killacam said:

@NegativeCero said:

you can also beat on of the weapons to get a gold chocobo .. forget if its ruby or emerald. two birds one stone, much less tedium!

If you can beat Emerald Weapon without Knights of the Round, do you really need them?

#32 Posted by Rebel_Scum (564 posts) -

@Sincillian said:

I think you can get an enemy materia in disc 1 if I remember correctly. It's extremely useful and allows you to use certain enemies' attacks against them. Look out for the matra magic and beta skills from enemies. That's all I can remember hope it helps.

Yeah get this materia and get beta from the snake in the swamp on the world map. Also don't leave Midgar ntil you've done/got everything because there are some places in Midgar you can't go back to after leaving.

Also always have all materia equipped and sell them off when you master them. That way you'll never have to worry about money. God I would love to erase my memory to play this again.

#33 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

Keep your triple triad deck up to date so you can sign the best blitzball players, otherwise your espers are going to be complete shit.

#34 Edited by killacam (1284 posts) -

@mandude said:

@killacam said:

@NegativeCero said:

If you can beat Emerald Weapon without Knights of the Round, do you really need them?

my mind. you're breaking it.

#35 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Ace829 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Just know that when looking at equipment that Magic Defence is bugged. As in: It may give you a number, but it's really just 0 all the time

Wasn't that a Skyrim bug as well?

Oh wow, you're right!  
Many years later and RPGs still haven't figured it out!